• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

favorite system of each generation kiddos (really long obsessive post warning)

MoxManiac

NES, SNES, PSX, PS2 (which is the greatest console of all time)

Current gen is undecided, I only have a PS3 at the moment.

vilmer_

AlternativeUlster said:
I am starting with the third generation because I am not that old and really if you are that old, maybe you shouldn't be on a videogame forum on the internet.

I stopped reading. :lol I knew gaf was filled with a bunch of high-school and college kids, but this takes the cake!

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
NES by default, actually. Since I never ever heard of the Master System until like 3 years ago. :lol

SNES- Most of my family members and friends had it, and I totally loved SMW.

N64- If we're going by strict playtime. I actually received a PS1 long before, but I found myself playing N64 longer, oddly enough. I guess it didn't help much that since I didn't have money at the time, and relying on family to buy new games as presents, that I didn't get too many games for either system, really.

PS2- Gamecube was an utter disappointment on the Nintendo front, aside from SSBM, and a few other noteworthy games. Xbox didn't have too many of the genres that I liked. Great, techwise though.

Currently- Wii60. I'll get a PS3 eventually, but for the most part, Wii60 will cover my needs for now.

GreekWolf

AlternativeUlster said:
I am starting with the third generation because I am not that old and really if you are that old, maybe you shouldn't be on a videogame forum on the internet.
Quick, someone alert Stinkles! He's wasting his life when he should be raising a family

camineet

Banned
pre-1st gen (before interchangable games) Odyssey - Pong - Pong-like clones (too young)
1st generation: Fairchild Channel F - Atari 2600 - Odyssey² - Intellivision (too young)
2nd generation: Atari 5200 - ColecoVision
3rd generation: NES - Master System - Atari 7800
4th generation: TurboGrafx - Genesis - NEO-GEO - SNES
inbetween generation: FM Towns Marty - CD32 - 3DO - Jaguar - 32X
5th generation: Saturn - NEC PC-FX - Playstation - Nintendo 64
6th generation: Dreamcast - PlayStation2 - Gamecube - Xbox
7th generation: Xbox 360 - Wii - PlayStation3

NES - Only system I had at the time so it wins by default.

SNES/Genesis - Tied because I got pretty much equal playtime from both of them. SNES had awesome games like Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, The Megaman X series, Killer Instinct and others while Genesis had the Sonic games, Phantasy Star, Herzog Zwei etc. Good times.

N64 - Playstation had far more games but very few approached the level of awesome that Nintendo's first party efforts reached. Mario 64, OOT, Star Fox 64, Mario Kart 64, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Majora's Mask, Turok & Turok 2 are all classics. Playstation had the greatest RPG line up in history though led by FFVII, Xenogears, FFTactics, and Chrono Cross but N64s line-up edges it out for me.

Playstation 2 - Without question the greatest console of all time. Pretty much has nearly every genre you could think of covered. Platformers, shooters, action games, fighting games, RPGs, PS2 has tons of quality games in all of them. It's RPG line-up is starting to rival even the PS1s with stuff like the Megaten games, Disgaea, Odin Sphere, Grim Grimoire etc.

Xbox 360/PS3 - It'll probably come down to those two although the Wii could surprise me. Right now the 360 and PS3 are tied in my book but the PS3 should pull ahead once MGS4 and FFXIII are released.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Only started playing games during the N64/ PS1 days, so my favourite consoles from each generation since then would be PS1, PS2 and I dont know what it would be for this generation.

Timedog said:
Picking playstation over saturn is like picking Warrant over the Pixies.

The Saturn is a great system and all, but that statement is ridiculous. Granted, I didn't pick the thing up until after Fighters Megamix was released, but i'm pretty sure those extra couple years wouldn't have drastically changed my opinion on the Playstation to the point where I'd consider the simile even remotely understandable (and I owned dozens of well received domestic and imported games for the Saturn). I could see how the Saturn better appealed to few niches and hence why some here regard it as their favorite, but to compare Playstation to Warrant?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
1. NES (no contest at all, there is nothing comparable to SMB 1-3 and the Zeldas on Master System)
1. SNES with an extremely tight 2nd being Mega Drive - Yoshis Island giving the edge to SNES slightly
1. N64 (imo some of the best games ever on this console - Zeldas, Mario, Banjo...) 2. Saturn (NiGHTS) 3. PlayStation
1. GCN (Pikmin is one of my favourite games ever, Metroid Prime fucking rules and I love Mario Sunshine, too - pure platforming goodness. Super Monkey Ball, Zelda TWW, Sonic series, DKJB, Fire Emblem and F-Zero GX are worth mentioning too), 2. Dreamcast (Sonic, Crazy Taxi, Rayman 2 the definate version...), 3. Xbox (better controller and Conker giving the edge to it for me), 4. PS2

so far next generation:
tie between Wii and 360 for the first place, distant third for PS3
Handhelds is easy, as there never was a real competition before this generation and Nintendo DS has Yoshis Island DS, Phoenix Wright and NSMB ;).

Top Bottom