• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FCC rules broadband internet service a public utility

Status
Not open for further replies.

NimbusD

Title 2 opens up options for rate regulation.

ATT and VZ charge comically evil roaming rates for TMUS and Sprint. They are not market rates or in anyway reasonable (mark ups of 1,000%+) - this can start to be regulated from now on. Result is network qulity differences disappearing and true 4-carrier competitive market not the bullshit duopoly you lot currently have.

Then you have unbundling - forced regulated LLU will bring true broadband competition to DSL forcing ATT and fixed access providers to either cut price or invest in faster networks - FTTx in order to differentiate. Everyone wins. Except the shareholders but fuck them. They are just rentiers.

They know they have a fixed line monopoly, this is going to be finished now. Not immediately but rate regulation is the BIG victory from title 2. I love the salt from the shills.

Im confused, arent these two specific things that were left out of this a la carte version of Title II?

When will this decision be felt be residential end users? I hope soon, because I really want to see what will happen.

I'm so relived this actually went through.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Netflix to ISPs:

ikVmyJu.jpg

NimbusD

Yes, unfortunately there has been a lot of misinformation floating around.

Yeah it doesn't help that the actual rules haven't been made public yet. Just going off of Wheeler's Wired article.

I wonder what the fast/slow lane stuff will do in practice. Will it actually prevent solutions like Netflix's peering or just prevent ISPs for charging for it. Or will that be considered a separate thing somehow.

Arkaerial

Unconfirmed Member
How do you explain 3 Democrats voting in favor and 2 Republicans voting against net neutrality?

Read the history of what Wheeler wanted to do.

that's all I have to say.

Edit: I wonder what the full document has in it an if it will be released to the public.

jimwhat

Yeah it doesn't help that the actual rules haven't been made public yet. Just going off of Wheeler's Wired article.

I wonder what the fast/slow lane stuff will do in practice. Will it actually prevent solutions like Netflix's peering or just prevent ISPs for charging for it. Or will that be considered a separate thing somehow.

I agree.

Wheeler did say that they wouldn't release because it was a "rough draft" and that the final version would be released, but we'll have to wait and see.

Smash88

Banned
As more and more of the old generation pass and new generations come to realize what a clusterfuck the republicans are, it makes me laugh at their future.

The young generation have too much invested in the internet to let shit like what the republicans want slide - and republicans are only falling further behind.

I mean they are going to have to reinvent themselves otherwise they will not stand a chance come future elections, right?

TomShoe

Banned

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahha

It's even funnier because:

1. Verizon gladly invoked Title II when it worked to their advantage.
2. The only reason the FCC ruled the way it did today is because of Verizon's lawsuit that resulted in the FCC's original net neutrality rules being struck down.

lol fuck you Verizon, you shit in your bed, now go lie in it.

Uuuuh Google wanted broadband to be Tier 2 utility so they can expand google fiber using utility poles.

The only reason Google didn't campaign more was because they were scared of ISP backlash if they lost.

Boo-urns! So access to hentai and twitter = access to gas and running water, got it. Internet is great if used properly, but it's not a utility in my book

Boo-urns! So access to hentai and twitter = access to gas and running water, got it. Internet is great if used properly, but it's not a utility in my book

The internet is used for a lot more than that stuff.

If you think today's world can get by without it, you'd be lying to yourself.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I can't find it but I think google's response what like luchboxes in different colors

with the words: Isn't Choice great?

Paz

Are you... Are you serious? I mean the internet is a vital and necessary part of functioning in modern society and is already considered a human right in several countries (which now have much better internet services than America).

The move to classify it as a utility is to keep a level playing field for possibly the most important invention in human history.

All offense intended your book is really bad.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Is something REALLY complicated that dates back to 1930 first act of communication, the 1996 communication act and the telecom bumble of the 00's and shit ton of politics.

Watch this if you really want to understand the issue. Beware is over 1 hour long, but it explains the issue with really good detail and on an understandable language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z_nBhfpmk4

Seems like a lot of good historical information, but man... around 30 minutes in I just had to look the guy up after hearing his colored opinions.

Lo and behold, he appears to be a pretty diehard libertarian.

Boo-urns! So access to luxurious hot tub soaks and unlimited water balloon fights = access to being able to do my job and communicate with people, got it. Gas and water are great if used properly, but they're not utilities in my book.

Are you... Are you serious? I mean the internet is a vital and necessary part of functioning in modern society and is already considered a human right in several countries (which now have much better internet services than America).

The move to classify it as a utility is to keep a level playing field for possibly the most important invention in human history.

Getting in some great arguments on Facebook tonight.

"That's like saying cereal companies have the right to decide where their boxes go on grocery store shelves"

Because the internet is totally a grocery store, amirite?

EDIT:

Also: 'It's like saying "I invented a new type of plane. So because planes require runways to take off, I have the right to force runways anywhere and everywhere to cater to the needs of my type of plane."'

The internet is used for a lot more than that stuff.

If you think today's world can get by without it, you'd be lying to yourself.

That doesn't make it a utility necessarily. Are personal cars a utility? Healthy food? They're staples, you probably need them to keep up with the times, but no one is going to starve or freeze if they are stuck on 3G. Might be good for them to unplug for a bit and not subject their nervous system to a million pieces of information at once.

In other words, I don't see the same necessity for high speed internet that I do for heat, water, and electricity. YMMV.

We've all got our opinions, you've got yours and I respect that. My objection is how easily people call something a "human right". Things can be important or valuable without being a "human right". The very concept of a "human right" is that there are certain rights we'd have in a natural state that should be preserved when we move to a society. It's trying to have the best of both worlds, the good qualities of natural law and society at once. Freaking LTE access is not one of your natural rights you would have been born with outside of society. Hey, everyone has their opinions and I respect them, but it seems that people try to turn everything of benefit into a "human right" for some reason. I don't get it. Good thing to have <> "human right" automatically, I believe.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Verizon being salty is damn hilarious since they are partly responsible for forcing the FCCs hand.

FyreWulff

I endorse Title II reclassification of the ISPs to ensure strong net neutrality standards, but would like to argue from the other side just to see some of your arguments. Why should net neutrality be the default paradigm? Why shouldn't ISPs be allowed to control the content that is flowing over their networks?

As a right wing acquaintance of mine recently put in an email....

They didn't pay for that equipment. We did.

"“Today’s decision by the FCC to encumber broadband Internet services
with badly antiquated regulations is a radical step that presages a time
of uncertainty for consumers, innovators and investors. Over the past two
decades a bipartisan, light- touch policy approach unleashed
unprecedented investment and enabled the broadband Internet age
consumers now enjoy. "

fuck you, verizon. so making Netflix pay for it's pipes unlike everybody else is light touch?

"That's like saying cereal companies have the right to decide where their boxes go on grocery store shelves"

Uh, isn't this 100% true anyway? Yes, cereal companies can decide if they want to stock an item in a particular store. Like...duh....

TomShoe

Banned

EDIT:

Also: 'It's like saying "I invented a new type of plane. So because planes require runways to take off, I have the right to force runways anywhere and everywhere to cater to the needs of my type of plane."'

image.php

That doesn't make it a utility necessarily. Are personal cars a utility? Healthy food? They're staples, you probably need them to keep up with the times, but no one is going to starve or freeze if they are stuck on 3G. Might be good for them to unplug for a bit and not subject their nervous system to a million pieces of information at once.

In other words, I don't see the same necessity for high speed internet that I do for heat, water, and electricity. YMMV.

I'm sure that people expressed the exact same sentiment when electricity became a public utility back in the 1930s.

Also, cars are a luxury.

I feel like someone should March up to the telcos with a 10000 strong crowd of people doing the "HA HA!" Nelson Muntz style. Justice has been done today.

Millions, if not billions, of people today manage to get by without electricity in remote corners of the world. If you ask them they won't agree that electricity is a basic necessity required for living.

Your standards for a first world country and, allegedly the most technologically advanced country in the world, are bizarre. Electricity, heat, and water are still considered luxuries in many, many parts of the world, but in the United States they're considered basic necessities. That's what separates 1st world countries from 3rd. Confusingly, you then jump back into the 3rd world country standard and say because internet is still a luxury (it isn't in the US for many, many people), that therefore the internet isn't a basic need. Internet access is required for the careers of millions of people in the US. Just because they're not literally going to starve doesn't mean it's not a necessity. And I should point out you've got a very uninformed view of the US and 1st world countries in general if your idea of necessities are "not die".

You're applying two standards at the same time. If you want to argue that the internet is technically a luxury because it's not absolutely required for staying alive, you can certainly make the same statement about electricity.

Jedi2016

The fact that the only people upset about it are the ones raking in billions of dollars from it tells me all I need to know about whether this was the right thing to do.

And it happened on the day my ISP cranked up all of its customer's speed to 50Mb, too. Can't complain.

Verizon's response is rich, considering I left their internet service because they were repeatedly fucking me over while at the same time raising my rates. Sure, they're the victim here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom