• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F'DUPTON 3: Back in the Tub with 5.0/5.5/6/7/several Inches of RAM-Flavoured Water

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Update:
We can’t go into specifics about stuff like that, but I’ll say that if you go by Eurogamer’s article “update”, it would show that PS4 provides at least as much RAM to the developer as the XB1. While Eurogamer updated theirs, Game Informer still has their sensationalist headline “PlayStation 4 Reserves Nearly Half Of RAM For OS” up, a headline which was poor even at the time of the initial rumor. While the article itself does say “slightly more than its competitor”, the headline is what the majority of people will ever see. This is a problem. This caused problems.

Now let’s look at it closely. The rumor stated that the PS4 reserved 3.5GB, while the Xbox reserved 3.0GB. Think about how this headline then spins the story. Even had it been true, this was a difference of 0.5GB, yet the headline would make it sound like the PS4 has a massive weakness.

http://retrocityrampage.com/blog/2013/07/522/

I can't find the old thread, but Digital Foundry just updated their PS4 RAM article with confirmation from another source that devs are guaranteed 4.5GB RAM with a further 512MB of the flex memory, however, this may have performance problems due to paging issues.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-ps3-system-software-memory

UPDATE: A new source familiar with the matter has provided additional information to Digital Foundry that confirms only 4.5GB of the PS4's 8GB GDDR5 memory pool is guaranteed to game developers right now, while also clarifying how the PS4's "flexible memory" works in practice.

In real terms, an additional 512MB of physical RAM may be available in addition to the 4.5GB mentioned in the SDK. Flexible memory consists of physical and virtual spaces, and the latter introduces paging issues which impact performance. In our original story we combined them together.

For practical game applications, the correct figures for this story, as we understand it now, are a guaranteed 4.5GB for development and a further 512MB from the flexible pool. We have updated the headline accordingly.

UPDATE: Sony statement:

We would like to clear up a misunderstanding regarding our "direct" and "flexible" memory systems. The article states that "flexible" memory is borrowed from the OS, and must be returned when requested - that's not actually the case.

The actual true distinction is that:
  • "Direct Memory" is memory allocated under the traditional video game model, so the game controls all aspects of its allocation
  • "Flexible Memory" is memory managed by the PS4 OS on the game's behalf, and allows games to use some very nice FreeBSD virtual memory functionality. However this memory is 100 per cent the game's memory, and is never used by the OS, and as it is the game's memory it should be easy for every developer to use it.

We have no comment to make on the amount of memory reserved by the system or what it is used for.

Digital Foundry Update on this:

Based on this information, plus the new source coming forward to explain the properties of flexible memory, our take on this right now is that there is 4.5GB of conventional RAM available to developers, along with the OS-controlled flexible memory Sony describes, in addition to that.

We understand that this is a 1GB virtual address space, split into two areas - 512MB of on-chip RAM is used (the physical area) and another 512MB is "paged", perhaps like a Windows swap file. But to be clear, of the 8GB of GDDR5 on PS4, our contention is that 5GB of it is available to developers.

The good news is that the amount is static and not dictated by OS functions as we stated in our original post, making it a lot easier for developers to work with.

Lock if old.

Musiol

tumblr_mjixq5aITR1qdek7to1_500.gif

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Oh well, most multiplatform games were going to utilize 5GB RAM anyway. A bit disappointing, but I hope they make good use of the OS RAM by providing nice features.

FranXico

I love how Richard is quick to find "sources" that tell him what he wants to write.

There you go, same total amount of RAM on both consoles.

Now, back to writing more FUD about the GDDR latency when accessed from the CPU, and enough people will flock back to his beloved XBox.

Xav

Who cares, just play the fucking games. PC Master Race is the way to go if you love your graphics that much.

3 updates from now devs are going to have access to negative DDR2 RAM with 256kb of "flex" memory.

Just cancel next gen. What's the point?

still waiting for Sony confirmation

FranXico

I was ok with 1GB "flex memory" but only 512MB? Pre-order cancelled.

It is 1GB, but somehow he managed to interprete it as only 512MB of physical memory ever really being available. Richard Leadbetter is now performing magic: the PS4 RAM is slowly disappearing with each update.

luffeN

Oh well, most multiplatform games were going to utilize 5GB RAM anyway. A bit disappointing, but I hope they make good use of the OS RAM by providing nice features.

Yeah, if everything goes smooth and lag free then I will happily give them 3GB for the OS.

velociraptor

Good lord. This is even worse than I imagined.

What happened to the original 5.5GB?

Where are all them gigabytes going?

How can the OS demand so many gigabytes?

iceatcs

Yeah, I think we are witness the near ending of Eurogamer and DF. They are so desperate for hit.

stryke

Flexible memory consists of physical and virtual spaces, and the latter introduces paging issues which impact performance.

I need someone to elaborate on this more, whatever it is.

Thrakier

Who cares, just play the fucking games. PC Master Race is the way to go if you love your graphics that much.

This and it's the way I'm going. However I would've enjoyed sony exclusives with great graphics. Albeit it seems like it's a no go. XB1 is completley out of question at this point anyway.

szaromir

Banned
3GB+ seems like an exuberant amount of RAM for the OS features they have announced. It seems they're intent to see what OS features stick on Microsoft's system, copy the successful ones and perhaps reduce the OS footprint down the line.

Microsoft said their OS doesn't need 3GB at the moment, but they reserved that much space to be able to expand OS featureset in the future (unlike 360, where the 32MB left them with no room to move). Which means both consoles could do some pretty cool shit in the background years from now and if they can't come up with anything cool they can make more space for games.

Either way, 5GB on both system is like 12 times more than the space available to PS3 developers. Plenty enough to fit game logic and assets far, far beyond last gen.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Get off work in 15 minutes and going home to pass the fuck out. Looking forward to reading another 50+ pages when I wake up. Don't let me down now. ;P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom