• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fear the Walking Dead - Season One - Sundays on AMC

Don't understand people pointing out the dude didn't go to the police after the Church. Mom clearly did not want the cops involved and the step-dad just found blood and guts where the addict son was high. If he went to the cops the son would quickly be arrested for suspicion of murder.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Don't understand people pointing out the dude didn't go to the police after the Church. Mom clearly did not want the cops involved and the step-dad just found blood and guts where the addict son was high. If he went to the cops the son would quickly be arrested for suspicion of murder.

It's more that he just didn't do anything about it.Ridiculous tbh.

Forsythia

I really liked it. I don't like the characters that much for now (specially the dumb drug addict), but it's only the first episode, so I'm sure it'll get better.

RS4-

- Something about the squeaky-clean teen who turns out to be the amoral drug dealer was hilarious to me. One minute he's scrubbing his car and the next he's some kind of elusive kingpin who offs the customers that speak out of turn.

If you're not white, you're not safe.

Anyway, thought the premiere wasn't bad. A step up from the typical TWD awfulness we've had to suffer through the past few years.

Toa TAK

Banned
So the Mom and Step-Dad were my favorite characters in the pilot. I thought they did a pretty great job of capturing the sounds of LA.

But it was a pretty slow burn that didn't lead up to much of an ending on that episode. And while I get where he's coming from, I got sick of the son pretty fast. I don't care much for the daughter, either. So we'll see. I liked it enough that I do want to continue.

Effect

So the zombies should be physically stronger at this point compared to those currently in The Walking Dead right? There should be no decaying just yet or large scale groups of malnourished coming back to life so if it grabs on to you that should be it unless someone is there to help and even then that might not be enough.

If this is the case it should make for some interesting encounters. Where you don't need a horde but one or two could be just as dangerous because they can not be slowed easily on top of people not knowing how to effectively kill them. I would imagine it might be a while before people get their hands on guns and might be using more melee weapons.

chefbags

Mom - I know Babe.

I don't know why I laughed at how she delivered that line lol.

Also when Tobias said " it's safer in numbers" it was like here's a line that's weird but I'm not going to explain more lol.

Liked the rest of the characters. Hope it improves.

Toa TAK

Banned
The whole Tobias scene was odd in that it was clearly supposed to allude to the upcoming danger of the series, but it feels off and doesn't come close to delivering even later in the episode.

chefbags

"Watch this. This is the new real. Killshot bitch."

Laughing out loud haha

And Tobias with that stare on the bus. I can't handle this show haha.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
"Watch this. This is the new real. Killshot bitch."

Laughing out loud haha

And Tobias with that stare on the bus. I can't handle this show haha.

holy shit man,

I was really just about to type this in here!

HILARIOUS DIALOG RIGHT THERE! LOL

chefbags

holy shit man,

I was really just about to type this in here!

HILARIOUS DIALOG RIGHT THERE! LOL

I know right?! My god that teen dialogue is not real haha. At least I hope it's not. That shit was ridiculous I couldn't take it seriously until the last 10 minutes.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
I know right?! My god that teen dialogue is not real haha. At least I hope it's not. That shit was ridiculous I couldn't take it seriously until the last 10 minutes.

the only other part I laughed at was when the guy was telling his parents that he shot calvin. The mom is all like WHERRRRRRRRRRRES CALLLLLLLLLLLLLVIN.. WHERRRRRRRRRREEE... WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT....

i dunno why but man the way she says it... so funny!

Entertaining though, ill give it a few more episodes!

As someone's who has fallen out of love with the main series starting with the Prison but who still reads the comics, does this seem promising? Was the pilot good?

Also, any expectations of learning the origin of the plague at all in this?

I liked it. The music was spot on. I hope they give Kim Dickens better material to work with though, she is amazing. Also, is the daughter that girl chieftain from The 100? She is stunning! Anyway, good shit so far. Let's hope it keeps improving instead of the other way around.

As someone's who has fallen out of love with the main series starting with the Prison but who still reads the comics, does this seem promising? Was the pilot good?

Also, any expectations of learning the origin of the plague at all in this?
1) IMO, I liked it a lot. Had a pervasive sense of unease and encroaching collapse. A slow apocalypse that's already happening and people don't know it yet

2) No

grmlin

So cool I can see it on amazon.de prime!
I love the fact, that this show is about the beginning, how everything started. I liked the pilot a lot, but I liked the pilot of the original series a lot, too. :D

150,000 a day in the US or worldwide?

Because that's 0.000025 of the world's population and 0.00047 of the USA's population

I think that minuscule amount spread out across the world could easily go unnoticed for a while.

Government doesn't have to cover anything up. People's disbelief would be enough.

Ummm...

150,000 a day.

As much as you think governments can sort of cover this up they can't. You also have recent dead people in graves coming out.

There is no disbelief in this show because the idea of zombies doesn't exist. If there was any disbelief it would be meaningless due to the rate of infected to dead that occurs and it transmits fast in dense areas. China and India would be doomed.

JustinBB7

Really like first ep, knew that drug dealer wouldn't be there when they came back to check lol, was too obvious, at least they saw him straight after because I would have been so annoyed.

Ummm...

150,000 a day
It's a minuscule amount of dead, 0.000025% of the world's population.
That statistic means about 100 new zombies a day in a city for 4 million, spread out across the city, in scattered numbers rather than large hordes, and still look human

I don't think the government is covering up anything. It would be impossible. There are protocols in place though (remove dead bodies immediately after 60 seconds)

But I doubt people would notice for a while.

PopeReal

Damn, lol. I just got done watching the episode, liked it and thought I'd come see if GAF agreed.

Well then.

Hell, I even found the mom to be my favorite character that episode. :| Oh well.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Most people hate the Walking Dead around here.

I also enjoyed this pilot. Can't wait till next week!

I really liked it, and I am pretty much "whatever" for the main series lately. I've always liked the actors who are playing the mom and dad. Drug addict son seems interesting enough, and the daughter is beautiful (didn't recognize her without her "Grounder" war makeup lol).

Nicely shot and really gives the feeling of being in LA and the score was good too. Best of all was the brooding sense of dread. I know things are going to get bad eventually but I hope it's a slow burn to get there.

Anyway I'm definitely in for this one.

I thought the first episode was alright. Delivered pretty much what was expected. A little annoyed with the dysfunctional family tropes of teens with attitudes. It's been done to death and it would be nice to see something different.

The scene with the parents in the truck waiting on the exit-ramp was probably the highlight of suspense for the episode.

Lagunamov

I really liked it a lot. The pacing is not the best, but holy shit, the plot is very interesting and the characters are very solids. The son is my favorite, but I like all the characters (well, the daughter is the weakest one I think). It has been a very welcomed surprise.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
via Cornballer in the other thread:

Last night’s special 90-minute series premiere of “Fear the Walking Dead” made television history, delivering 10.1 million live/same day viewers and becoming the #1 series premiere in cable television history for total viewers and all key demos. The episode delivered 6.3 million adults 18-49. In that coveted demographic, AMC now is home to three of the top five cable series premieres of all time in live/same day viewing – “Fear the Walking Dead” at #1 (2015), “Better Call Saul” at #2 (2015) and “The Walking Dead” at #5 (2010) – a remarkable accomplishment so far into the post-DVR era. A “Talking Dead” Season 6 Preview Special that preceded the “Fear” premiere last night delivered 4.2 million viewers, and 2.5 million adults 18-49.

As someone who loves the comics, but gave up on TWD after season 3 or so, I really, really enjoyed this first episode.
The characters this time around seem to be written better, although the same could be said about TWD's pilot.

However, I don't have a huge amount of faith in AMC to keep the quality this high for the rest of the season (although I don't actually know much about the showrunner/writers this time around).

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Really good first episode, it has left me...... hungry for more. Solid main cast and the sexy as fuck commander from The 100 is the daughter which doesn't upset my eyes at all. I think this is how a zombie breakout would actually play out if it really happened, a video would hit Youtube and be discredited as fake, and by the time we realized it was all real we'd be neck deep in walkers.

Jobbs

Banned
Anyone else think it was a bit implausible how little these not-yet-hardened, still-regular-people characters reacted to someone being run over by a truck repeatedly?

Yes, she was and she is. Post-apocalyptic queen tbh.

tumblr_ntkja4JPTS1u1kfuro1_r1_250.gif
tumblr_ntkja4JPTS1u1kfuro2_r1_250.gif

Yussss. So glad she's coming back for season 3.

Paskil

I like how at the very end,
they're going back up the tunnel they drove down and the now dead drug dealer dude is walking back down towards where he died. How did they not see him on the way down, in the first place?
Am I missing something here?

I like how at the very end,
they're going back up the tunnel they drove down and the now dead drug dealer dude is walking back down towards where he died. How did they not see him on the way down, in the first place?
Am I missing something here?
Zombie have been laying down in the shadows, collapsed in the tunnel, then was "awakened" by the passing car

Maybe?

gatti-man

I hated the episode. Slow, grating characters, and cliche after cliche. That being said I'll keep watching and hope it gets better but wow so bad.

Paskil

Zombie have been laying down in the shadows, collapsed in the tunnel, then was "awakened" by the passing car

Maybe?

Yeah, I should have watched it again before asking. I watched it last night and this popped into my head, this morning. It's possible that my question was even answered if there were offshoots off the main path and I just didn't pay attention.

Dalek

I hated the episode. Slow, grating characters, and cliche after cliche. That being said I'll keep watching and hope it gets better but wow so bad.

I feel the same way. There's a lot of shows I can watch and "tolerate", giving them the benefit of the doubt. I don't mind slower paced shows-but again, they made us stay with this incredibly boring, annoying family. It's like being stuck on a plane with someone obnoxious and you can't get out until the plane lands.

Paskil

I feel the same way. There's a lot of shows I can watch and "tolerate", giving them the benefit of the doubt. I don't mind slower paced shows-but again, they made us stay with this incredibly boring, annoying family. It's like being stuck on a plane with someone obnoxious and you can't get out until the plane lands.

I'm hoping for an all hell breaks loose, Atlanta from the original series, type of episode.

Bry0

Don't know if I really liked it that much. Just felt really unnecessary to me. Why should I watch this when the other show exists? Feels like a more of the same, but with more annoying characters and a less interesting setting.

Wasn't horrible by any means, it was just alright.

devilhawk

Just watched the episode, and that comment slayed me. Three guys dead (or implied) in the first episode alone, lol!

I thought it was a solid pilot overall.

Pros:

- That mounting sense of uncertainty and desperation once you start hearing the helicopters and sirens become more and more noticeable in the background mix.
- The episode came off as a sort of bittersweet ending before society starts to crumble. I could have watched this and nothing else from the series and been satisfied because of its quasi-prequel status. The cinematography was really, really good.
- Cliff Curtis' and Kim Dickens' acting is quite good (lame ending reaction aside).
- It does play to the L.A. mentality of ignoring things until they hit you in the face.
- The character slowly coming to grips with what's happening was very interesting.

Cons:

- Something about the squeaky-clean teen who turns out to be the amoral drug dealer was hilarious to me. One minute he's scrubbing his car and the next he's some kind of elusive kingpin who offs the customers that speak out of turn.
- The daughter's acting was crap. Maybe she'll get better in time.
- That final reaction was hilariously bad. "What the hell is going on?" "I dunno."

Overall, I'm quite impressed. Will definitely keep watching.
I agree with a lot of this. I thought it was all around ok.

The daughter is going to get a lot of hate. I can already see it. She is just too perfect and therefore annoying for many. The whole "I am a 20-something actress playing a teen that is too cool to go to or care about class, too cool for authority figures like teachers and my mom, am gorgeous, and also brilliant because I am going to Berkley" is a bit much.

Top Bottom