• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Games with Gold: Dead Island and Toy Soldiers: Cold War

Not a bad couple of games.

Did Toy Soldier: Cold War ever come out on PC? I remembered seeing ages ago that it was going to be exclusive to the Windows 8 store, but I never heard anything after that.

because im pretty sure--and I'm not really industry savvy like a lot of people, my assumptions are based on general common sense--that deals regarding publishers letting someone like MS/Sony takes time/negotiations regarding their service so that the pubs/devs can get funded? hell PS+ has been around for four years, when did it really start getting good? around say late '11/early '12?

at least that's what I think (then again I also think that people should collectively lower their expectations in regards to a brand new service/feature being added onto something being fucking amazing early on. there's always flaws with something like that.)

there you go, bye

Sure, sure, I'll give you that. Microsoft has to make deals with publishers to put games on GwG. But Microsoft is also a publisher themselves. Did they have to give us Gears of War 1? It couldn't have been 2 or 3? Did they have to give us Halo 3? It couldn't have been Reach? The older Crackdown 1 instead of the newer (but admittedly inferior) Crackdown 2?

It just feels like Microsoft has been cheap with this promotion the whole time. Like the only reason for it to exist is to prove that they give away games too, just like PS+. But in reality, it pales in comparison to PS+, and is almost shameful.

oti

Banned
I'm glad my Gold ran out a week ago. Now I don't feel bad for not downloading games I wouldn't even play.

GWG is still getting trounced by PS+, but MS is slowly getting there. Last month was good and this month is alright.

Whoever is in charge of the GWG choices must have a tower-defense fetish. This is the third one after Defense Grid and Iron Brigade.

Mindlog

What the fuck? I was hoping for GTA 5, Titanfall and The Last of Us. Step your game up MS. Oh well. I was always planning on checking out the TS: CW demo. Had a lot of fun with the first game now is the perfect time to play the follow up.

border

It's weird how people always defend the paltry game selection by saying, "Oh but you get to keep the games for free forever and ever!"

If I was so disinterested in Dead Island that I did not play it for 2 1/2 years after it was released and only got a copy of it because it was literally given to me......what in God's name makes you think I'm going to care about playing it if/when my XBL subscription runs out months or years from now?

It's weird how people always defend the paltry game selection by saying, "Oh but you get to keep the games for free forever and ever!"

I think that's how MS actually puts it. Their hook was that you actually get to keep the games even after your sub expires and they highlight the hell out of that statement.

kmg90

GWG is still getting trounced by PS+, but MS is slowly getting there. Last month was good and this month is alright.

Whoever is in charge of the GWG choices must have a tower-defense fetish. This is the third one after Defense Grid and Iron Brigade.

Well there are a lot of tower defense games on Xbox Live (at least 15)

Sure, sure, I'll give you that. Microsoft has to make deals with publishers to put games on GwG. But Microsoft is also a publisher themselves. Did they have to give us Gears of War 1? It couldn't have been 2 or 3? Did they have to give us Halo 3? It couldn't have been Reach? The older Crackdown 1 instead of the newer (but admittedly inferior) Crackdown 2?

Everyone of those games are superior than the ones they didn't give us. I don't see what there is to complain about.

Everyone of those games are superior than the ones they didn't give us. I don't see what there is to complain about.

Personal opinions, how do they work?

You can argue that they're better, but unequivocally you cannot deny that they were the cheapest option and likely already owned by a larger number of people. Microsoft picked games that no one will ever buy new ever again and gave them away for free. Gee, thanks. What a wonderful service you are offering us, Microsoft.

I'd rather MS just copy PS+ at this point. Honestly, my guess is the reason they don't is because they'd have to shell out more of that Gold money on getting good games.

I'm probably alone on this but at times GwG feels almost insulting. It's like MS saying here, have these scraps and don't complain. I'm not renewing Gold once I run out next month for the first time in years and I don't plan to come back

Kinyou

When you think about it, it's kind of odd that this even took so long. It used to be the norm for PC magazines to come with a free game.

Clearly they view Germany and the UK as separate from the rest of yurop then.
I guess they just like us more :3

I'd rather MS just copy PS+ at this point. Honestly, my guess is the reason they don't is because they'd have to shell out more of that Gold money on getting good games.

I'm probably alone on this but at times GwG feels almost insulting. It's like MS saying here, have these scraps and don't complain. I'm not renewing Gold once I run out next month for the first time in years and I don't plan to come back
They can't copy PS+ 1:1 because the 360 doesn't support a system that lets you rent games, the only option is to give the actual ownership to the User. With that system they'd probably have to pay more for a game than Sony.

I'm hoping to see some improvement for the XB1 program.

bidguy

Banned
come on dead island is not available in germany

hope we get nuts&bolts or something

edit: fuck yeah metro sounds better

zainetor

Banned
When you think about it, it's kind of odd that this even took so long. It used to be the norm for PC magazines to come with a free game.

I guess they just like us more :3

They can't copy PS+ 1:1 because the 360 doesn't support a system that lets you rent games, the only option is to give the actual ownership to the User. With that system they'd probably have to pay more for a game than Sony.

I'm hoping to see some improvement for the XB1 program.

maybe, buy then why arent they giving recent first party games?
I mean gears3 or judment woukd have been cool, to celebrate tje deal with epic.

Already own DI, but I'll download Cold War when it comes out. Not a bad month for people who never got DI though, at least in comparison to other months so far.

Jomjom

Banned
I always hear people raise the "keeping the games for real" defense as a reason for why the games are so much worse. Is that really a valid excuse? Honest question.

I mean how many people who subscribe to Gold or PS+ actually only sub for a short period of time, and then never do again? These would be the only people that would make these publishers care about whether the game was yours to keep or yours to keep while you are subbed. For the majority of people who will continue to sub because they want to play online, there's really not much of a distinction as both are virtually yours to keep forever.

I understand that publishers may view a player who gets a game to keep forever as a loss of a potential sale, but were these games really still being bought in an significant number at the point where they are given out for free? Furthermore, for PS+ games, is the fact that people only get to keep it as long as they are subbed so much more harmless to the publisher that they can offer way better games? It's not like people who no longer subscribe to PS+ will suddenly go and pick up those games they lost at retail.

I always hear people raise the "keeping the games for real" defense as a reason for why the games are so much worse. Is that really a valid excuse? Honest question.

I think the real reason is that GwG is pretty young, PS+ has been around for awhile now and the pickings were pretty slim in the early days, it took a year or two for it to ramp up

Varth

If i can choose i prefer to have the newer games for free and forever.

In a serious note, i'm a PS Plus subscriber (and i don't have a gold membership) and i love the program, but i'm afraid of what will happen when the service shuts down. I don't like the idea of losing all of "my" games. Because of this i buy all the PS+ games i like.

Well, no shit :D

But the reality of things is that we have a PS+ way (rental, good stuff) and a MS way (gift, poor stuff) and it's gonna stay this way, probably, unless MS folds out and goes the PS+ way and starts taking the exclusives war to this plane too. Something I can see as way too realistic.

Also, I would add that the way MS is playing this relies far too heavily on big retail stuff of yore (ok, not Toy Soldier ^__^'), something I don't appreciate much. I like PS+ mainly for indies and digital only titles.

Top Bottom