• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Xbox One update rolling out to everyone today

MaulerX

It'll be nice if they let us start testing the XB1 to W10 game streaming feature for those on the W10 preview.

I wonder if Microsoft will build upon all these updates the xbox one has been getting or if everything will just go out the window once a windows 10 version of the xbox one OS comes out.

Xbone software and features were already made with the win10 mentality of everything being an app, so they can update core features of the platform independent of the OS, and can update the OS without having to throw away any feature their apps provide.

That means in general they can keep improving the platform gradually, and win10 becomes just a underlying change that might make the apps and the platform itself more capable.

But with win10 some of these apps will become universal, so we can't know for sure whether Ms will replace a current app with less capabilities initially, but ported to the new platform.

Deviousx

I haven't received the update yet. Restarted my XB1 and it still says that there is no update available. I want my transparent tiles. :(

SoCal here.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
Can you guys add this cool guy from NZ to your friends list and also please invite to preview program.

I hear his gamer tag is Sgt Clintizzle.

Also that guy is me

I just bought an Xbox One, what are they fixing with the controller?

From someone who's only had a PS4 since launch I have to say the X1 UI is so much worse and feel a lot slower

jond76

Banned
Since this update (in preview program), my Kinect has been randomly shutting off. I'll be saying "Xbox, _______" and repeat it three times before I notice the Xbox light on the Kinect is off. A hard reset fixed it. I already submitted feedback, just thought I'd share.

KAOS

Please background music or the ability to hide snap apps in the next update. It's been long over do.

Come on. Your games are to your left. Your store is to your right. Recent apps used in the middle.

If you're in a game or watching TV, press home button twice to snap or record.

What else?

I guess it was more going through the settings and making adjustments that I think feel cumbersome

malfcn

On a somewhat related topic, the preview dash app has a 36 mb update. And it's taking minutes to download. Normally everything is in a flash. Anyone else getting crawling updates?

KePoW

Banned
I guess it was more going through the settings and making adjustments that I think feel cumbersome

It does take a few straight days to get used to the XB1 UI

But after that it's fine. A couple features are not apparent from the beginning, like Snap and how to use it

They really need to add a button for directly inviting friends to your party chat like it was on Xbox 360.

Pretty much everything in the UI takes too many button presses.

mike4001_

Next update will probably give us Upload Studio 2.0

Ah yes, I kind of forgot about this.

Now we already know 3 things which could happen in the March Update

* Screenshots
* Upload Studio 2.0
* Better reporting of spammers (according to this tread)

mike4001_

Xbone software and features were already made with the win10 mentality of everything being up, so they can update core features of the platform independent of the OS, and can update the OS without having to throw away any feature their apps provide.

That means in general they can keep improving the platform gradually, and win10 becomes just a underlying change that might make the apps and the platform itself more capable.

But with win10 some of these apps will become universal, so we can't know for sure whether Ms will replace a current app with less capabilities initially, but ported to the new platform.

True

I think there is a general misconception that there will be a "new Windows 10 dashboard" for the Xbox One which is new from the ground up ...

They will just continue to evolve the current dashboard and change some of the underlying code so it gets support for Windows 10 universal apps and so on.

Footos22

lol just don't use it then.

You cant avoid it, even looking at achievement notifications after the game is closed will reopen the game and then snap achievements instead of just going into the normal achievements app. Its fucking annoying. I personally hate snap. i have a nice big screen i don't wanna play my games in a smaller box and to even scroll through achievements anyway you have to double tap the home button to make that possible, thus taking you out of the game still anyway. So there isn't much point in it.

Kampfheld

Banned
True

I think there is a general misconception that there will be a "new Windows 10 dashboard" for the Xbox One which is new from the ground up ...

They will just continue to evolve the current dashboard and change some of the underlying code so it gets support for Windows 10 universal apps and so on.
Correct. While there will be some additions and changes to make things more universal and streamlined across devices, there won't be a "complete overhaul".

dh4niel

Since this controller update I'm having a lot of problems with my headset. So much so that I can't even use it anymore. Lots of buzzing and audio problems. Sooo annoying.

pieman

Neo Member
Since this controller update I'm having a lot of problems with my headset. So much so that I can't even use it anymore. Lots of buzzing and audio problems. Sooo annoying.

Did you leave the headset connected to the controller when you did the update?

Akai__

It's a problem I have, since this update was available for people in the preview program. The static is pretty loud when the controller is powered by the micro USB cable and I tried several micro USB cables. Even if it's powered by batteries, people tell me that there is a little static when I'm talking, but they can barely hear it.

Support couldn't help me either and told me to power cycle my Xbox One. That's by the way their answer to all the problems, but it doesn't work.

I'll see if somebody reported it with the new report feature and if not, I'll report it.

Ecto311

Any way to do volume with the controller instead of yelling "Xbox volume down" at the kinect? I use smart glass sometimes but would rather use a double tap on home and the dpad or something similar.

Deviousx

Loving the transparent tiles. The controller turns on super quick now! Keep these updates up MS!

Screenshots! Screenshots! Screenshots!

Back ground music for Pandora, DI Radio, USB, and Spotify pleaseeeee. Take that over screenshots :p

AfH8bM3.gif

If they just give me screenshots and background music I will literally be happy.

This is almost the only thing missing + a snappier feeling OS.

But i'm sure these are coming this year. Can't wait to see what Microsoft have planned for Windows 10 UI on Xbox One.

Gestault

Score. I'm happy to see the controller sync-up improvements in there, and screenshot down the road will be a nice touch, too.

The UI is very unintuitive. And snap is fucking garbage.

I've gotten a lot of use out of it. Being able to play Threes while betting on #IDARB matches is something I'm weirdly looking forward to. We're at a point where even without the Kinect, I'd be surprised by someone finding it unintuitive after maybe a week of use.

Derpyduck

Banned
Come on. Your games are to your left. Your store is to your right. Recent apps used in the middle.

If you're in a game or watching TV, press home button twice to snap or record.

What else?

And sometimes hitting snap will re-open a game you just closed. And often times hitting 'B' will back you out of the main UI right back into a game or App you already closed. It's a terrible UI. Doesn't help that their answer to complaints has been to just add more and more clutter to it. Gotta give them credit on their updates though. They've added or changed a lot of functionality over the past year. It's still not a fast nor intuitive UI if you're one of the many new owners who chose to buy an X1 without Kinect.

hawk2025

Score. I'm happy to see the controller sync-up improvements in there, and screenshot down the road will be a nice touch, too.

I've gotten a lot of use out of it. Being able to play Threes while betting on #IDARB matches is something I'm weirdly looking forward to. We're at a point where even without the Kinect, I'd be surprised by someone finding it unintuitive after maybe a week of use.

I find it extremely unintuitive after a full year of use.

Can you honestly say that you understand exactly when an app like Achievements or Friends will be snapped instead of opening full screen when you click on it? Or know exactly to which screen you will be taken every time when you press the B button?

And sometimes hitting snap will re-open a game you just closed. And often times hitting 'B' will back you out of the main UI right back into a game or App you already closed. It's a terrible UI. Doesn't help that their answer to complaints has been to just add more and more clutter to it. Gotta give them credit on their updates though. They've added or changed a lot of functionality over the past year. It's still not a fast nor intuitive UI if you're one of the many new owners who chose to buy an X1 without Kinect.

Yep, exactly.

no maam

Banned
When they add the screenshot option will it be instantaneously, or would we have a rewind function? I just don't see how it would be that great if it has to be taken instantinously. Unless I want photos of a parked car or a character standing still.

Top Bottom