• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Federal Judge in Hawaii puts revised federal travel ban on hold

Status
Not open for further replies.

SerTapTap

holy SHIT @ Mike Huckabee:

Are these fascists serious? Idolizing Andrew Jackson, hoping Trump literally begins dismantling the systems of checks and balances? The fuck? These motherfuckers were calling Obama a King and Tyrant only six months ago!

This action lead directly to the trail of tears. Huckabee not only hates the constitution but supports genocide. Why does this not kill these monsters' careers?

This is so good lmao:
rtwEH5o.jpg

"The Government need not fear". Are Judge rulings usually this snarky? Love it.

In America today, I count this as a win.

I mean, it's hilarious and a good start, but many, many people don't understand how the judiciary interacts with the executive and legislative, and it's not good to confuse things. The NYT "editor's picks" comments are full of people who don't understand this stuff.

SerTapTap

I mean, it's hilarious and a good start, but many, many people don't understand how the judiciary interacts with the executive and legislative, and it's not good to confuse things. The NYT "editor's picks" comments are full of people who don't understand this stuff.

I mean, Trump just said he "should go back to the first one". There is no longer any argument that could be made that this was in good faith. This thing is fucking dead barring a miracle. Trump can't hold his words and that destroys him in court.

Kadin

Was this posted already? Trump's response during the rally.

Video here: http://abcnews.go.com/US/hawaii-judge-puts-trumps-travel-ban-hold/story?id=46157273

Speaking Wednesday night at a rally at Nashville's Municipal Auditorium, President Trump said the court was motivated by "political reasons," adding that he expected to be "criticized ... for speaking harshly about our courts."

"The order... blocked was a watered-down version of the first order that was also blocked by another judge and should have never been blocked to start with," said Trump.

He added, "This ruling makes us look weak."

sazzy

wasn't expecting this to get stopped, pleasantly surprised it did. how has Donald not had a complete meltdown on twitter yet?

also, the court gave a great counter to 'its not a Muslim ban'

"The illogic of the Government’s contentions is palpable," wrote Watson, an appointee of President Barack Obama. "The notion that one can demonstrate animus toward any group of people only by targeting all of them at once is fundamentally flawed. The Court declines to relegate its Establishment Clause analysis to a purely mathematical exercise."

CTLance

This is just beautiful. The sheer amount of self-ownage on display is giving me the good kind of goosebumps.

Reps being hoisted by their own petard. I hope Trump continues smacking head first against reality like that for the rest of his presidency.

sazzy

pourmecoffee @pourmecoffee

Everyone pause to give a slow clap for Stephen Miller, strategic genius, giving court reason to strike down White House travel ban.

DlVMHNL.jpg

this is why it's so important to get these people to talk on the record. inevitably, they'll say something that comes back to bite them.

this is why it's so important to get these people to talk on the record. inevitably, they'll say something that comes back to bite them.

So good. Like CTLance said, love that self-ownage.

He doesn't have a choice honestly. He won't be able to sit and make a 3rd revised travel ban.

It's only March of his first year. Don't put anything crazy past him. He'll try...

I mean, Trump just said he "should go back to the first one". There is no longer any argument that could be made that this was in good faith. This thing is fucking dead barring a miracle. Trump can't hold his words and that destroys him in court.

Yup. They've been transparent since the beginning.
The snarky truth bomb at the end of the ruling was amazing.

I mean look at this shit from Trump:
"The order... blocked was a watered-down version of the first order that was also blocked by another judge and should have never been blocked to start with," said Trump.

He added, "This ruling makes us look weak."

Fuck you Trump. No, your attempted order made us look weak and was fucking unconstitutional and transparently trash you orange turd. It deserved to be blocked and this "watered down" (bullshit) second attempt does too, all of your people have even confirmed that the intent is the fucking same as the last time. The ruling showed that checks and balances did its job overruling your dumb ass (and the equally nasty GOP), not any weakness.

Hopefully the final ruling also shoots him and this bullshit down again just like the first one.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Is this the first time since like Andrew Jackson that the judiciary is SO anti executive? Like even all of Bush's crap that got challenged...it's like this is amateur hour.

inner-G

Banned
Is this the first time since like Andrew Jackson that the judiciary is SO anti executive? Like even all of Bush's crap that got challenged...it's like this is amateur hour.
At least they've picked a good time to rally against the executive

~Kinggi~

Banned
Smart move to go with Hawaii instead of directly with Washington again. Gives more variety to the fuckery.

Also Trumps clear frustration and intentions to say fuck it and try and go full with the original ban should bode well for future meltdowns. Means his advisors are gonna hold less weight now.

With Trump on record (a few times) stating that it's basically a Muslim ban as well as Miller stating the same thing. I don't see this EO lasting long.

I'm all for Trump and Co continuing their "tell it like it is" approach to governing. Best part is he doesn't even realize that it is he who is stopping his own EOs from going through.

Dr.Acula

Banned
With Trump on record (a few times) stating that it's basically a Muslim ban as well as Miller stating the same thing. I don't see this EO lasting long.

I'm all for Trump and Co continuing their "tell it like it is" approach to governing. Best part is he doesn't even realize that it is he who is stopping his own EOs from going through.

He's shocked that he can say one thing and do another to the electorate and they'll vote for him, to congress and they'll support him, but for whatever reason the legal system keeps taking him "literally, not seriously."

Slacker

He's shocked that he can say one thing and do another to the electorate and they'll vote for him, to congress and they'll support him, but for whatever reason the legal system keeps taking him "literally, not seriously."

Yep - it's hilarious to watch him learn it actually matters what the President says. Who knew?!?

Those hand gestures just add to his obnoxiousness.

Judge: We freeze this ban on grounds that it's just an attempt of pushing through the first illegal ban.

Trump: Goddammit I was just redressing my last illegal ban! Can I just go back to that one?

.... This dumb ass motherfucker.

This. Fuck Trump and his GOP goons.

Breads

Banned

I'd rather think of it as the executive being anti American.

There's a legitimate (as in, it is echoed by people who are not Trump) conservative legal viewpoint that only the text of the bill should matter - you sort of see this floating around conservative legal circles at the moment. I don't agree and I think context matters (especially when Trump's statements tonight are uh, the most direct they could be. And Miller's). But still, there will probably be some pushback from conservative legal analysis even if they agree the EO is bad policy.

I just don't know if there's any way to sever his campaign statements, stataments that are still on his website, his current statements he made today, and the statements of Rudy and Miller from the text. But even the text itself is suspect.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Amazing. His ban gets struck down for the second time and he calls it unprecedented.

Amazing.

Not to dismiss what you're saying... but I think he's referring to the fact that his ban was stayed twice. I mean, This is giving him some credit I realize... but that's how I take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom