• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Female Protagonists in games. Do you care?

jett

D-Member
I really don't care.

...but I always make a male character in games that let you choose your gender(like Mass Effect).

Aaron

Papercuts said:
One of the main things about the Tomb Raider reboot that catches my attention is the fact that Lara isn't just an oversexualized symbol, her design is a lot more down to earth and realistic.
Crystal Dynamics actually tried to make a Lara like that for Legend, but since that game was on the PS2 they ran into some uncanny valley strangeness, and dumped it for a bit more traditional Lara. That's more or less what one of the devs told me a number of E3s ago.

Also, I never identify with the videogame characters. It would seem strange to think of myself as some genetic hulk in power armor blasting aliens when I'd be the first to hide under the couch. I don't think I'm Leo D in a dream within a dream either.

I do not care.

I've never passed on a game because of a protagonist. Just games I don't care to play.

However presentation is another matter entirely. I passed on Twisted Mental thanks to the white trash / hillbilly vibe it gave off. It wasn't until I watched Sea Manky play the sequel that I noticed that despite it's trashy 90's Image Comics art, white trash presentation, and general hideous-ness; it was really just Street Fighter with cars.

LQX

I love playing games with a female protagonist or when they feature a strong female character. Played Mass Effect 1 and 2 as a female and shit if I did not fall in love with her. Finally decided to give ME2 play through with a male and it just did not vibe with me.

Ploid 3.0

I passed up FFX-2 because it was a taco fest. lol

It seemed like a Brittney Spears game in my defense and feminists should be on my side on that choice.

540px-Wall_X-2_03.jpg

2San

Prefer playing a Male character. A game only having a female character never stopped me from purchasing it though.

Patryn

I can play either. And actually I've found that games that you have a choice, I tend to try beating it with both.

Except Mass Effect. MaleShep just sounds WRONG. Like, I just started a playthrough of ME1 recently, and I decided to try playing a guy. And the guy reading the lines sounds like a guy reading lines. It's so bad.

I think it's because I'm never the guy who wants the person to be their "avatar." I don't think of myself as being the character. The character is who they are, and it's their story. Even when you define everything about the character, like in Dragon Age.

Aaron

Ploid 3.0 said:

It seemed like a Brittney Spears game in my defense and feminists should be on my side on that choice.
I hope that feminists wouldn't make such a shallow judgment.

Colocho

Banned
Wow this Mirror's Edge game sounds awesome, it has all these chase scenes and bad ass free running which are all things I absolutely adore, but what is this? It stars a WOMAN?!?!?! HOLY FUCK THANK GOD I SKIPPED THAT PIECE OF SHIT, I CAN'T BE ARSED TO PLAY AS A FILTHY FEMALE CHARACTER, MY GOD WHAT HAS GAMING BECOME, PLAYING AS A WOMAN WHAT THE FUCK!?!?

teeny

I actively enjoy playing as a female protagonist. Perhaps more so now than in previous generations, though the industry does retain an element of "heh boobs" when it comes to female representation.

I like it when I can create a female character and they are treated the same way in the game world.

What I would like is fairer representation of all genders and demographics, which kind of goes hand in hand with broadening genres and opening new markets. Games like Heavy Rain, whether you liked it or not, still had protagonists that were more down to earth than 90% of most games. I would love to play an entire detective game as a Shelby clone rather than another Nathan Drake.

Saty

I would very much like more female-led games, unless they are the sleazy kind of characters. I enjoy a game with a good female protagonist and in games with female NPC\sidekicks, they tend to 'steal the show' in my eyes.
Maybe because i play a fair share of P&C games, a genre that features probably more heroines than heroes.

In the same vein, alot of my most loved TV shows have a female protagonist. Don't see what's there not to like about playing them.

Coxswain

DennisK4 said:
http://www.abload.de/img/jan2011_cover_b_front4mob.jpg[/img][/url]

How is that not badass?
Holy shit, I have clearly not been paying enough attention to this game.
I mean, Lara was always at least conceptually pretty cool, but goddamn that looks awesome.

couldn't give a shit about gender.

i want a main character that has at least some depth to him or her, and isn't 100% generic looking.

Ploid 3.0

DennisK4 said:
You know...tacos...

I hope I don't get in trouble on that. People on gaf say sausage fest when talking about a lot of bulky marine dudes in games. I only included it to spin the saying. But I did skip it because it seemed like a Brittney FF, and I wouldn't want to be caught buying it (much like buying a barbie game).

shidoshi said:
That, uhh... that's what makes her hot.

I was going to say that he likes the picture because her face is geometrically attractive. No black eye, no huge scars, no Selvester Salone like muscles with aging (Expendables).

Edit: I didn't even know that was Lara.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I think the number of female protagonists versus males is probably proportional to the amount of females versus males developing games, so it's not terribly offensive in that regard.

I mean, good writers have a hard enough time writing good female characters. Like I said re: sex in games, let's learn how to swim before jumping in the deep end.

Astery

Dreohboy said:
Then I thought...wait....
action game...exploration...shouldn't my first thought be ....BAD ASS or something?
wtf?
Colocho said:
Wow this Mirror's Edge game sounds awesome, it has all these chase scenes and bad ass free running which are all things I absolutely adore, but what is this? It stars a WOMAN?!?!?! HOLY FUCK THANK GOD I SKIPPED THAT PIECE OF SHIT, I CAN'T BE ARSED TO PLAY AS A FILTHY FEMALE CHARACTER, MY GOD WHAT HAS GAMING BECOME, PLAYING AS A WOMAN WHAT THE FUCK!?!?
:lol :lol

Ploid 3.0 said:

]
lol

I always make a girl character if it lets me. I usually don't like guys hair or something else bugs me.
Drake is cool though and so is Kain. I dunno it felt pretty badass on Mass Effect for me playing the girl also.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
can we all agree that Commander Shepard is the best female character in ages?

mollipen

Also, I have to go back to the "heroes should be guys because girls can't be bad-ass" comment. We're talking about video games; saying one collection of polygons is unbelievable but another is believable in partaking in some sort of adventure is ludicrous.

There's also the question of combining this with self-insertion. If you can't play as a female character because they can't be bad-ass, but you see yourself as the main character in the game, does that mean you're saying you could do everything the main character is doing? Nice to know who we need to call should the planet ever be over-run by aliens, demons, alien demons, robots, or any other variety of evil-doers.

Patryn

Rez said:
can we all agree that Commander Shepard is the best female character in ages?

This is actually a fairly damning statement, considering that Shepard was designed to be gender-neutral, for the most part.

Or is it actually progressive?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
shidoshi said:
Also, I have to go back to the "heroes should be guys because girls can't be bad-ass" comment. We're talking about video games; saying one collection of polygons is unbelievable but another is believable in partaking in some sort of adventure is ludicrous.

There's also the question of combining this with self-insertion. If you can't play as a female character because they can't be bad-ass, but you see yourself as the main character in the game, does that mean you're saying you could do everything the main character is doing? Nice to know who we need to call should the planet ever be over-run by aliens, demons, alien demons, robots, or any other variety of evil-doers.
don't be silly, most people at a concert don't know how to play guitar or sing. it doesn't stop them from having rock and roll-esque fantasies when they turn that shit up really loud or go see a performer. it also means that they won't get the same buzz from a female singer. they'll get a different feeling, sure, but the sense of escapism will be somewhat different. the same is true for games.

Vanille

I find it kinda weird when guys exclusively play as female characters, but other than that it doesn't really matter to me.

Smash

Banned
I'm sure about one thing. I'd rather not have female protagonists than the caricatures of females most game developers create.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Rez said:
don't be silly, most people at a concert don't know how to play guitar or sing. it doesn't stop them from having rock and roll-esque fantasies when they turn that shit up really loud or go see a performer. it also means that they won't get the same buzz from a female singer. they'll get a different feeling, sure, but the sense of escapism will be somewhat different. the same is true for games.
Wait, people go to concerts to imagine that they're the ones on stage?

Well, I guess this would explain why I never really saw the appeal of concerts.

2San

Nirolak said:
So the next time someone complains about the below image, remember, it's the OP's fault.

*lots of game characters*
Honestly what's wrong with this, looks like a pretty diverse group of men. There's just a lack of variation in ethnicity.

Vanille said:
I find it kinda weird when guys exclusively play as female characters, but other than that it doesn't really matter to me.

it's disturbing in online games, especially when you can just create a male character. i don't mind playing female characters with true personalities in offline games though.

Ploid 3.0

Augemitbutter said:
blood and bruises are hot now? wtf, i don't want to know what you guys do to your girlfriends.

Here we go!

I think he meant the look. She don't have much bruises like someone in a real battle would have, it just look like dirt and blood from something else. She looks tomboyish in that picture which is cool. Some people like girls that can kick it with the guys, like sports, outdoorsy.

Also something else about that Lara pic, is it a flash back to when she was 17? Did they really reboot her back to when she was very young?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Patryn said:
This is actually a fairly damning statement, considering that Shepard was designed to be gender-neutral, for the most part.

Thane made me feel like a woman

2San said:
Honestly what's wrong with this, looks like a pretty diverse group of men. There's just a lack of variation in ethnicity.
As well as hair color & type along with facial structure and lack of distinguishing details(aside from maybe a scar or two)

mollipen

Augemitbutter said:
blood and bruises are hot now? wtf, i don't want to know what you guys do to your girlfriends.

Hot in the same way Uma was hot in Kill Bill. Not in the "violence against women is sexy" kind of way, but the "bad-ass chick who just kicked some ass" kind of way. Along the same kinds of lines as how people who find men attractive find a sexiness in, say, a boxer who's just been through a hell of a fight, and is now all sweaty, a little bruised, and so on.

Augemitbutter said:
it's disturbing in online games, especially when you can just create a male character. i don't mind playing female characters with true personalities in offline games though.

Maybe those guys like playing as female characters? Maybe they like the change? Maybe they enjoy the role-playing aspect? Maybe they think the female character models are more interesting?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Patryn said:

Its more that male Shepard is one of the most fucking generic short-haired space-marines ever. First time through I restarted my game after three hours as femShep because he was just so....blah. Female Shepard may not win any awards for creativity, but she was at least less dry-wheat oatmeal then the male version.

2San said:
Dude, they all have the same facial structure, same hair color, and one of three hairstyles.

Sober

Patryn said:

Maybe if there was a better VO for MaleShep, it might be valid. I think most people just might be rolling FemShep because she's much more believable in dialogue scenes.

Ploid 3.0

shidoshi said:
Hot in the same way Uma was hot in Kill Bill. Not in the "violence against women is sexy" kind of way, but the "bad-ass chick who just kicked some ass" kind of way. Along the same kinds of lines as how people who find men attractive find a sexiness in, say, a boxer who's just been through a hell of a fight, and is now all sweaty, a little bruised, and so on.

Maybe those guys like playing as female characters? Maybe they like the change? Maybe they enjoy the role-playing aspect? Maybe they think the female character models are more interesting?

Hey what's that MMA fighter girl that gaf likes? She's seen in gifs biting her lower lip while nodding her head. I think she was also in that new Gladiator show. She's hot because she can kick butt.

Gina Carano, Crush in American Gladiators.
9ig20h.gif

Top Bottom