• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fez's dev to japanese developers: "your games just suck"

Status
Not open for further replies.

njean777

Still wont buy the game just for this guys attitude there are way better games for me to waste my money on. Fez is just another indie game in the long list.

watership

Still wont buy the game just for this guys attitude there are way better games for me to waste my money on. Fez is just another indie game in the long list.

Amazing. If you really knew what was in the hearts and minds of every creator, CEO, artist who's products that you as a consumer purchase now... You would probably end up buying nothing. There are far greater protests to mount than against the someones opinion.

Honestly, I refuse to get Fez purely in protest to what he said. It looks interesting and maybe fun, but I'd rather developers stick to making fun games and not trash talking other developers, especially not entire cultures/countries.

Amazing. If you really knew what was in the hearts and minds of every creator, CEO, artist who's products that you as a consumer purchase now... You would probably end up buying nothing. There are far greater protests to mount than against the someones opinion.

Have you noticed that most of the people you listed don't publicly trash talk and insult their peers and potential customers? You think there might be a reason for that?

cilonen

Er, surely there aren't? Haven't most major advancements in society been made because people challenged opinions? Not to stray too far off topic here but are you making a judgement call that Phil's opinion doesn't really mean much? Because that's the same judgement call on Phil's opinions that many in this thread are making in choosing not to buy his game.

codhand

Here's a question: With Fez being less ambitious than Obsidian games, how okay is it to complain about its crippling, experience-destroying bugs, at least in relation to Obsidian games?

EDITED.

Glass Rebel

Here's a question: With Fez being less ambitious than Obsidian games, how okay is it to complain about its crippling, experience-destroying bugs, at least in relation to Obsidian games?

It's always okay to complain, never let anybody tell you otherwise, my apprentice.

*weirdly puts hands on shoulders*

j7Y3jx2.jpg

He's having his little breakdown.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
He's having his little breakdown.

Didn't the documentary make his partner, the dyad guy, look way worse than he actually was, intentionally? It's like Gies saying that people constantly target him but then proceeds to continue to act like an anti-social psychopath on twitter. Just yesterday, he mocked joystiq for making an article about fanart he retweeted. Maybe they thought the fanart was really cool and that other people should see it? Treat people how you want to be treated. I expect that he'll soon say 'lol jk trolled you guys'

In other words, 'choke on it'

JDSN

Banned
I think the breakdown actually cements the fact that he is an asshole. If you are gonna play a character, play it to the bitter end.

BluWacky

Indie Game The Movie is not why people think he's an asshat, though.

The film makes you think he's not necessarily a very "stable" person, but he doesn't say ridiculous attention-grabbing things that make him come across like a douche in the film - he just seems incredibly stressed and self-centred.

The key to making people not think you're a moron is don't say things that make you sound like a moron.

Skyzard

Banned
Seems like he doesn't express himself in the best way + a bit of inner troll, but tbh how many 20+ year old western gamers are interested in Japanese games (and by that, I assume he means JPRGS) because obviously MGS, Fighters and er Gran Turismo don't suck. Maybe I'm forgetting how fun RPGs were when I was younger, or underestimate rpg popularity. If he was even referring to RPGS, did he specify?

Was he referring to indies? Doubt it.

Maybe he was complaining Japanese developers don't try and target a world-wide audience as much :S seems to vague a comment.

Wonder what happened between him and the Dyad guy though.

--eh 67 pages!, probably a super out of date post from me.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
trolling is fun, but when you do it so much that everyone starts to think you're a bit of a jerk, it's kind of your own fault.

idDTql7MKWSZz.png

RM8

"When you're told something about yourself enough times, you start believing it."

Well, you -might- somewhat of a jerk indeed. Or at least you act your hardest to come off as one. I don't "hate" the guy, but I also find it difficult to feel bad for him. When you say dumb things there are going to be consequences regardless of who you are.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I dunno how serious he is, but it sounds like it's really depressing him. Maybe time to stop beating the dead horse like the whole Adam Orth debacle and let Fish be.

iavi

Even if he calms down, at this point it's almost as if it'd still be: "Phil Fish? That asshole? yeah, he's calmed down a bit."--The hate's kinda self-perpetuating at this point, and I do feel bad for him.

Fez is a game full of character, and to debut with it as your first major title is massively impressive. The game AFTER Fez, the one with a bigger budget (and hopefully less time) could be fucking amazing, and dude not let this shit burn him out before he gets there.

He doesn't seem like an asshole, just a complete mess. This man needs to not speak directly to the public. A PR guy would help.

Though, not patching the Xbox version of Fez because it was too expensive is an outright asshole-ish move.

So yeah, maybe he is an asshole after all.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Problem is that he can't say anything at all anymore without a certain group of people getting offended.
Sure he can, some people just take everything too seriously it's common knowledge to ignore those types of people that get over offended over something minor as hell.

But for the most part when you tell people to suck your dick, gloat obnoxiously, and other shit people in general are going to consider you an immature ass. If you are going to be an asshole in a public position you have to do it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom