• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFVII Remake (part 1?) voice recording is almost finished

I'm still expecting:

Part 1: Midgar

Part 2: Kalm -> Aerith praying for Holy

Part 3: The rest

That'd be awesome I think. And he says main story, and I don't think it'd be that crazy if they just went ahead and recorded the dialogue for the whole shebang. But with these guys who knows.

SOLDIER

Oh, man, I didn't realize The Lifestream.net was around. I remember all the brutal forum arguments with Tifa vs. Aeris back in the day. I can no stress how much I'm not looking forward to all of that coming up again with the remake in all online discussion forums. The Yennefer vs Triss wars have been so much fun in their place, sigh.

I'm still quite wary about how many games the remake will be broken into. Hopefully they will announce it with the eventual release date.

Hope you're prepared for a new generation of that debate.

Can't wait to read all the thoughtful and respectful commentary about how one heroine is the pinnacle of purity and the clear choice for Cloud while the other is a gutter trash slut and you're stupid for liking her.

I really hope they don't make it open-ended. It's been obvious for some time now Cloud and Tifa are the canon couple and I'd rather they hammer that a bit harder. Just make sure both heroines get their moments in development and let things progress as they're supposed to.

It would be wise for them to cover the entire game, regardless of episode breaks, for basically everything regarding this game. Doing it one piece at a time is a great way to fail IMHO. As I said before, see LOTR original films.

And no, even Midgar probably can't live up to Fellowship.

Randomizer

I'm still expecting:

Part 1: Midgar

Part 2: Kalm -> Aerith praying for Holy

Part 3: The rest
Wait so disc one is part one and two all by itself? The first two games will be very short then. But logically I can't think of any other story important cliff hangers to end each of the games on.

Honestly FFVII isn't even as big not as long as SE has been making it out to be for all these years. Sure there is more environments than newer titles but it's still perfectly reasonable to fit them onto one game. I think I beat the game in 35 hours back in the day, in JRPG terms that's average leaning towards low.

Icolin

Banned
It would be wise for them to cover the entire game, regardless of episode breaks, for basically everything regarding this game. Doing it one piece at a time is a great way to fail IMHO. As I said before, see LOTR original films.

And no, even Midgar probably can't live up to Fellowship.

...They're amazing though, lol.

Elios83

I think we'll find out about the state of the game at E3.
They hinted they it might be playable as well.
I don't want to delude myself into thinking that part one will be released at the end of this year but at the same time the game was announced in 2015 and if after almost 3 years of development (they started working on it in 2014) they can't release just the Midgar part of the game it means that they are not in the condition to develop this remake.

Randomizer

I would have preferred no voice acting like the original, it just isn't the same game otherwise.
I mean the new art style was already too much of a change to maintain the tone of the original. Comedic moments like people falling over or Barret ranting and randomly shooting his gun would just look weird in the new art style.

I already came to the conclusion years ago that if modern SE attempted a remake this they would miss the mark by quite a lot. I'm sure the game will still be good but Advent Children showed me that Square had no idea what made FFVII so unique and interesting in the first place. To me it's the silly moments as much as the serious ones that set the tone of the game.

Wait so disc one is part one and two all by itself? The first two games will be very short then. But logically I can't think of any other story important cliff hangers to end each of the games on.

Honestly FFVII isn't even as big not as long as SE has been making it out to be for all these years. Sure there is more environments than newer titles but it's still perfectly reasonable to fit them onto one game. I think I beat the game in 35 hours back in the day, in JRPG terms that's average leaning towards low.

However, that game has an entire town having only three houses and an entire nation having only three screens. That would not fit the expectation of the standard JRPG scale nowadays.

They'd have to beef up Midgar A LOT to make it a standalone game. You can get through Midgar in 3-4 hours in the original if you know what you're doing, 6ish if you don't. Can't see them stretching it out 20+ hours. I also don't think that it's going to fit into three parts. My predictions:

Part 1: Eastern continent - Junon boat ride
Part 2: Costa Del Sol - End of disc 1
Part 3: Start of disc 2 - Ultima weapon attacks Mideel
Part 4: Lifestream - End

DKHF

Have they mentioned who's doing the music?

They have to have Uematsu come back for this.
Square hasn't mentioned it yet. Uematsu said he isn't doing it, but that was just after the game was announced. I think Takeharu Ishimoto is a likely candidate to be the composer.

DMONKUMA

So wanted to ask....we still have no idea how long the time exclusivity is for PS4, right? or if the games get ported to other platforms after all parts come out instead of them getting ported after each individual part is released?

They'd have to beef up Midgar A LOT to make it a standalone game. You can get through Midgar in 3-4 hours in the original if you know what you're doing, 6ish if you don't. Can't see them stretching it out 20+ hours.
This is true, but I wouldn't be surprised if they try get more mileage out of each area....

They sort of said as much just by dividing the game into parts. It's because of the development workload of each area, not the story length of each area.

Based on the story it's obviously still 1 game, but they feel that turning all the pre-rendered backgrounds into 3D environments and all the dialogue into 3D modeled acting is more work than just 1 game.

So presumably, if they figure the development workload is equal to 3-4 (fully price) games, they're probably going to strength the story and content (story and side) to match it.

That's my guess at least... I'm expecting slums dungeons, Wall Market bounty boards, Avalanche daily quests and DLC content haha.

yunbuns

Hope you're prepared for a new generation of that debate.

Can't wait to read all the thoughtful and respectful commentary about how one heroine is the pinnacle of purity and the clear choice for Cloud while the other is a gutter trash slut and you're stupid for liking her.

I really hope they don't make it open-ended. It's been obvious for some time now Cloud and Tifa are the canon couple and I'd rather they hammer that a bit harder. Just make sure both heroines get their moments in development and let things progress as they're supposed to.

Tifa is my favorite character of all time but let's not act like Cloti fans don't shit on Aerith too.

Famassu

It becomes a lot bigger when they do it more like a modern game that is modeled to scale, modeled in full 3D and not just something from a single angle + the world needs to be designed in a way that there are no loading screens every 3 seconds that can automagically teleport the characters from Aeris' house to, like, the Shinra building in 2 minutes.

I remember hearing the same for kingdom Hearts 3 about 2 years ago. So fingers crossed?
Trumps president I won't live long enough to see this game.

Midgar is actually a substantial part of the game. You meet over half the cast there and major plot points are revealed to you. SE also said this is going to give them a chance to expand on certain things. I have no doubt Midgar is going to be dense and filled with content.

It's like 10% of the game.

DKHF

So wanted to ask....we still have no idea how long the time exclusivity is for PS4, right? or if the games get ported to other platforms after all parts come out instead of them getting ported after each individual part is released?
We don't know how long the period of exclusivity is or how it will be released after the exclusivity period, correct.

It's actually more than 1/4 of the game plot-wise, made short because how linear it is. This is why I think - as a game in installments - there'd need to be some heavy revision on the pacing and exploration.

Dear god the mental gymnastics that people are going to, to justify Midgar only for the first part.

Midgar is not 25% of the game plot wise. The avalanche stuff and cloud trying to get back to sector 7 is just all filler.

Calling it now, Rufus will be the final boss of Episode Midgar and I'm fine with it. That mofo is underrated as a villain, he was basically a sane version of Kefka.

Dear god the mental gymnastics that people are going to, to justify Midgar only for the first part.

Midgar is not 25% of the game plot wise. The avalanche stuff and cloud trying to get back to sector 7 is just all filler.

Kindly save your exasperation for something that's actually happening. I'm not justifying anything and am actually against Midgar only for the first part.

What I'm getting at is if you gauge the whole thing through playing time length alone and cut that into three without any change in pacing, you'd get a very front-loaded first game and sparse last game. Whether they're filler or not is irrelevant when they're compulsory sequences anyway.

SOLDIER

Tifa is my favorite character of all time but let's not act like Cloti fans don't shit on Aerith too.

Waifu gotta Wars.

You're not wrong, but the annoying thing from the hardcore Clearith fanbase is the mental gymnastics they used as "evidence" to downplay the opposing relationship.

Like how some say that Cloud and Tifa's relationship was just "like brother and sister". Then there was that 20 page essay someone wrote way back in the day that was entirely focused on Aerith's joke weapon (an umbrella) and how it symbolized Japanese romance and how Tifa wearing black symbolized death, and therefore failure, and yadda yadda I sure wasted my highschool years reading shit like this.

dmr87

E3 trailer opens up with someone actually playing the beginning of the game. Few doors and battles later Cloud and Barret meet the reveal of Tifa. Camera scrolls up the Shinra building revealing the release date of part one. Screen fades to black but could still hear voices. Screen cuts in again and it's the crew outside of Midgar showing our first glimpse of the open world.

Don't know if I could handle it.

You guys expecting 3 parts are being too optimistic I think. I'm breaking these down by areas, as I think people have forgotten just how much stuff happened in Midgar, and how much stuff happened on Disc 2.

Personally, I'm expecting something like:

Episode 1
  • Reactor #1
  • Sector 8
  • Sector 7
  • Reactor #6
  • Wall Market
  • Train Graveyard
  • Attack on the Pillar
  • Shinra HQ
  • Escape from Midgar
  • Half of the Eastern Continent
  • Kalm
    • A fucking huge amount of assets need to be created here because of all the territory the flashback covers.
  • Chocobo Farm

I'm expecting the first Episode to end before we get to the Mythril Cave. Basically, some excuse about us not being able to find any chocobo's to cross the marsh combine with a level cap for episode 1 making it impossible to make it past the Midgar Zolom.

Episode 2
  • Mythril Cave
  • Fort Condor (pt 1)
  • The other half of the Eastern Continent
  • Yuffie in the woods
  • Junon (Lower)
  • Junon (Upper)
  • The Ship
  • Costa Del Sol
  • Half of the Western Continent
  • North Corel
  • Mountain Pass
  • Gold Saucer
    • A fuck ton of assets need to be created here for the various segments.
  • Desert
  • Fort Condor (pt 2)
  • Gongaga

Note that after the Desert, you get the buggy and can return to the eastern continent. I believe this will result in a stopping point somehow.

Episode 3
  • Cosmo Canyon
  • Nibelheim
  • Mt. Nibel
  • Rocket Town
  • The rest of the Western Continent
  • The Far West Continent
  • Wutai
  • Temple of the Ancients
  • Bone Village
  • The Forgotten Capital
  • Icicle Inn
  • The entire Northern Continent
  • The Snow Fields
  • The Northern Crater
  • Return to and Escape from Junon

I think the game will pause around here for Tifa to be in charge.

Episode 4
  • Mideel
  • Return to North Corel
  • Fort Condor (pt 3)
  • Lifestream (Cloud's Subconscious)
  • The Underwater Reactor
  • Going into Space
  • The Sunken Gelnika
  • The Ancient Forest
  • The Materia Caves
  • Whatever Sidequests I've forgotten
  • The Raid on Midgar
  • The Final Battle

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if somehow the Raid on Midgar and the Final Battle got pushed to a 5th episode somehow.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Has there been any indication that this might be dual language or just English only ?

Wanna know what this means for a localized release.

This reminds me of a thread from 2014 when people were saying Zelda U couldn't possibly miss a holiday release for that year. I said 2016 at the earliest.

I don't know why you people do this to yourselves over and over and over.

FF7 will arrive no earlier than the fall of 2019.
That makes no sense at all. They're cutting the game down to several parts precisely so we won't have to wait for 2019-2020.

BreakAtmo

You can beat FF XV in something like 20 hours if you focus 100% on the story
So I can see the first part of FF VIIR having 15 hours (specially if is more than 3 parts)

And the fact that leaving Midgar they would have to create some part of the World Map (make the graphics, enemy encounters, decide how the map gonna be, etc) is what makes me think that they will end on Midgar

That 16-20 hours wouldn't just be the main story though, it would also be sidequests. They might be able to have a bit more main story, but the original is pretty tightly written and I doubt they could add more without it feeling too padded. The rest would probably be bonus stuff exploring Midgar and expanding on characters like Biggs, Wedge and Jessie, but it would be optional.

And I'm not sure why you think making part of the World Map is so unlikely. Despite being 'Part 1', this has been confirmed to be a full-length game with a price to match. They aren't splitting it into bite-sized chunks. I don't think expecting them to do the full East Continent sounds unlikely at all - it's about on-par with the content of any modern AAA RPG, and FFVII has the advantage of its story being mostly written already.

And I'm not sure why you think making part of the World Map is so unlikely. Despite being 'Part 1', this has been confirmed to be a full-length game with a price to match. They aren't splitting it into bite-sized chunks. I don't think expecting them to do the full East Continent sounds unlikely at all - it's about on-par with the content of any modern AAA RPG, and FFVII has the advantage of its story being mostly written already.

Midgar is the world map.

BreakAtmo

Midgar is the world map.

Not enough for a full-priced modern FF game. And as cool as it would be to be able to wander through all of Midgar, I question how well it would work with the story - or, for that matter, how interesting it would be if in the end the Sectors all look mostly the same. And the characters wouldn't be allowed to freely roam in the upper-plate areas, sadly.

Like I said, I fully agree that Midgar will be expanded in a lot of ways, I just think it will become half of Part 1, not the entire thing. My bet - or at least my hope - is that it'll go from a very linear story-based section that takes about 8 hours to complete, to an expanded story area with some side-missions that will take like 20-25 hours to 100%, with the rest covering the story up to leaving Junon and taking another 20-25 hours, resulting in a (probably) acceptable 50-or-so hours of gameplay. I might be wrong, but I do think a whole game consisting of just the Midgar story would feel spread very thin.

DKHF

I think part 1 will go beyond Midgar. I hope they properly explain the scale of part 1 at E3 along with a trailer.

Top Bottom