• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXIII and FFVersusXIII direct feed HD realtime shots from IGN (56k stuck on SD)

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The reason the characters have no self-shadow is:

If characters had self-shadows, it would cause ugly artifacts on them during cinematics due to the low texture resolution shadowmap. As a result, they prefer to remove them outright.

It's not that costly to have self-shadows on a few characters, it just results in ugly artifacts.

That's my guess anyway.

Darkpen

Banned
Assembly Required said:
Whaaaaaaa..?

Because I can't "appreciate" his character designs doesn't mean I can't appreciate cultural diversity.. just don't try to convince me they have any significants.. they are video game characters.. whom I am not "visually" Fond of. NOMURA FTL. Amirite..?

My mother from NJ and my father side came straight off the banana boat ...lots of diversity here.

P.S. Did I mention my great grandfather was italian. Fuck y0 couch.
people are complaining about characters having too many bead-string necklaces/bracelets/whatever :/

come on.

The only game I can think of where the "Nomura likes belts and zippers" meme really applies is Kingdom Hearts (I guess the same could be said about FF8, but eh). If you ask me, there's nothing wrong with having layered clothing, especiallly in the cold. What exactly do you not like about the character designs, anyways? We've only seen 3 main characters, and a bunch of enemies, and somehow I doubt Nomura's directly responsible for enemy design.

As for Versus, we already know that the clothing is from a real-world expensive brand. As for hairstyles and character design that we've seen for the Prince and his friends, its clear that its very east-asia/Japan centric.

Nomura's always been about trendiness. In fact, I think I've seen a photo of him wearing a white belt D:

Raging Spaniard said:
I know this is 5846549565496 pages away, but it bothers me

Go tell this lady shes not well thought out:

[African woman]

Thats right, you cant, because you dont know anything about her, thats the POINT. You dont know shit about these characters, where theyre from, how their culture is or how they behave.

But does she have BELTS?

thuway

I can see it now -

Sony introduces a slim line PS3 that is a special edition Lightning PS3. Comes in various flavors. US gets it too. Japan goes next gen.

KTallguy

Banned
thuway said:
Sony introduces a slim line PS3 that is a special edition Lightning PS3. Comes in various flavors. US gets it too. Japan goes next gen.

If they released a slim PS3, fuck I may buy it, just for kicks.

To be honest, from the little you saw from the gameplay of the xbox 360 trailer, the environment looked pretty dull. (talking about the forest one)

Hesemonni

Banned
Lovely Salsa said:
To be honest, from the little you saw from the gameplay of the xbox 360 trailer, the environment looked pretty dull. (talking about the forest one)
It's a fucking forest.

Nooreo

17.jpg

maasai%20woman.jpg

What the fuck has this thread turned into?.

Lovely Salsa said:

I thought it looked absolutely stunning...it was shown in the original trailer as well though

Nooreo said:
17.jpg

maasai%20woman.jpg

What the fuck has this thread turned into?.

A thread of skepticism, profound opinion, the birthplace of make believe, Very big technical terms and fanboyism... J/k. Sorta.

Well what did you expect.. SE releases some media and spectators begin to speculate. You were expecting unicorns and rainbows, huh? ..No matter the calibur of the developer people are going to have questions ..some are going to doubt, others will proceed to wet themselves and claim "It's the best game ever" Though they've never seen it in playable form.

You see my son ..I'm just rambling nonsense for your displeasure and Fuck y0 couch.

EDIT: Just for the sake of staying on subject. I think the game looks great. I'm actually looking forward to the demo.

Darkpen

Banned
nelsonroyale said:
I thought it looked absolutely stunning...it was shown in the original trailer as well though
yeah, the sweeping camera shot into what we presume to be in-game is pretty old.

Darkpen

Banned
Amir0x said:
man i want an entire game that looks like an Amano painting
Amir0x said:
Fucking seriously. It's such a ethereal, ghostly approach to art... brush strokes bleeding into one other, with an effect like percussion. I don't mean to pontificate on the art, but one of game's primary purposes is to transport to world's unseen, and his is so eminently unique, so evocative and surreal that (for me at least) it's impossible to not want to uncover what dark secrets may lie within.

It's always been one of the most disappointing things to me that with next-gen power, Final Fantasy hasn't tried to move back in this direction more vividly...
Amir0x said:
It's funny how a simple perspective shift changes what we think of a word. I would definitely agree with your usage of "creepy" to describe much of his work. But thinking back to much of the experience I felt playing some of the older FF's for the first time, I did often feel creeped out. These worlds exuded mysticism to me, old tomes weathered by years of magic and intrigue. I guess a lot of that is lost by growing older, but a lot of it is also is that games have simply not met our imaginations as objects have become quantifiable in our world.
For once, I agree with you on something.

Which is also the reason why I feel that Beautiful Katamari was such an immensely lost opportunity; they could have done so much more, and didn't.

I would love to see a game that looked like an animated version of any given concept artist's work, moving in a 3D space. Okami did a pretty good job, and anything by Vanillaware is always visually stunning, but something that looks like something by Amano? Or Kojima (Castlevania)? Or Shinkawa? I mean, sure, Shinkawa's pretty happy with how his 2D pieces translate into 3D as is, but I'd love to see something that should be flat, but moves perfectly in 3D, while maintaining a painty look.

in regards to shinkawa and to lesser extend Amano's art. their art has that abstract quality to it that I need to take a moment to understand what I'm looking at. imo, that's the beauty of their work, I can just sit there and watch the static picture for a long time and I may find something new and appreciate their art.

to make a whole game replicate that look, even if it's possible, I don't think it will make the game playable well, in Shinkawa's case, the game may look like ink blotches moving. it may get your eye tired faster.

Darkpen

Banned
Callibretto said:
in regards to shinkawa and to lesser extend Amano's art. their art has that abstract quality to it that I need to take a moment to understand what I'm looking at. imo, that's the beauty of their work, I can just sit there and watch the static picture for a long time and I may find something new and appreciate their art.

to make a whole game replicate that look, even if it's possible, I don't think it will make the game playable well, in Shinkawa's case, the game may look like ink blotches moving. it may get your eye tired faster.
well, if what they did with ashley wood's work for the digital graphic novels, and looking at pieces like these

http://la.gg/v/45_5.jpg
http://la.gg/v/46_2.jpg

I find it easy to imagine it seamlessly moving.

In a way, I think Madworld is fairly close to what a game based around shinkawa art would look like, in terms of how much contrast there is with black, white, and color. But I guess, with the way lcd screens are nowadays, black blotches moving would be counter-intuitive for an enjoyable experience.

As for Amano's work, I think there would be a shit load of detail in any given frame of a fully rendered screen, but with the way I'm thinking, there would be enough detail and animation for someone to be able to distinguish the background from the foreground.

I guess what people would want out of an Amano-based visual experience would be to see the ornate designs and details in motion. Maybe a game wouldn't necessarily work, but I'd like to at least see it :/

Negaiido

thuway said:
I can see it now -

Sony introduces a slim line PS3 that is a special edition Lightning PS3. Comes in various flavors. US and EU are getting it too. Japan goes next gen.

fixed + please think of your fellow european earthlings :p

Steroyd

Finally something to sink my teeth into after all these years.

Now to wait for the release date which so, so far away. >_>

Darkpen said:
well, if what they did with ashley wood's work for the digital graphic novels, and looking at pieces like these

http://la.gg/v/45_5.jpg
http://la.gg/v/46_2.jpg

I find it easy to imagine it seamlessly moving.

In a way, I think Madworld is fairly close to what a game based around shinkawa art would look like, in terms of how much contrast there is with black, white, and color. But I guess, with the way lcd screens are nowadays, black blotches moving would be counter-intuitive for an enjoyable experience.

As for Amano's work, I think there would be a shit load of detail in any given frame of a fully rendered screen, but with the way I'm thinking, there would be enough detail and animation for someone to be able to distinguish the background from the foreground.

I guess what people would want out of an Amano-based visual experience would be to see the ornate designs and details in motion. Maybe a game wouldn't necessarily work, but I'd like to at least see it :/

I think I get what you mean about wanting to see Amano's ornate design and details in motion. I also agree with you it'll work better as a movie because you're paying your full attention to the moving picture and no need to bother yourselves with gameplay element. if you need to keep up with the gameplay, all those detail may end up being a distarction.

Darkpen

Banned
Callibretto said:
I think I get what you mean about wanting to see Amano's ornate design and details in motion. I also agree with you it'll work better as a movie because you're paying your full attention to the moving picture and no need to bother yourselves with gameplay element. if you need to keep up with the gameplay, all those detail may end up being a distarction.
or rather, you just don't get to absorb the sites and sounds, especially when a lot is going on.

MrDenny

I don't know how people can dislike the FFXIII character designs. Its better than those other Jrpgs that have crap generic anime character designs.

MrDenny said:
I don't know how people can dislike the FFXIII character designs. Its better than those other Jrpgs that have crap generic anime character designs.

yeah, I much prefer ffs pseudo realistic designs/proportions, than the generic anime in most other jrpgs....

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
what is this child-like joy creeping up my spine? I have not felt it since... since FFIX EGM cover story!

Raistlin

Lightning said:
No. FF is about money and sales.... and in Japan that's what the Wii is making and doing records in both...

Actually no. Since the SNES days, FF has been about pushing graphics. That's why it jumped to PSX. There is no way they are going to gimp the main-series games graphically to fit on Wii. The series is their show-piece SW.

As Revelations stated, the DQ series has always been open to placement on systems with high sales potential ... regardless of graphical abilities.

Orlics said:
AMAZING (despite my hatred for that habit of giving every otherwise masculine male very effeminate hair) ! Looks like they're using the same engine.
You probably hate rock huh?
I'll take the interesting hair styles over the generic space marine look.

Top Bottom