• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXIII and FFVersusXIII direct feed HD realtime shots from IGN (56k stuck on SD)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Snaku said:
Fuck, does Sasuke have to be in everything!? :(
My GF said the exact same thing! :lol

She goes "Sasuke." I'm like "what?" and she's like "That guy, grown up Sasuke." Then I showed her the earlier build of the Prince.

Threi

notag
Snaku said:
Fuck, does Sasuke have to be in everything!? :(
At least the game will be a hell of a lot easier then.

When near-death at a boss fight you will level up for a inexplicable reason and win the fight. The next 10 hours will be dedicated to all the NPC's saying what a great job you did.

KTallguy

Banned
Awntawn said:
But why was Carmack making so much noise over it then? Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know they ended up settling for 2 discs with sacrifices made to visual fidelity?

I'm sure that Square said "What multi-disc royalty?" and Microsoft said "Exactly."

Muffdraul

My Arms Your Hearse said:
Inverted Y is just far more natural. Look at the ceiling of your home/office. Which way did you move your head to achieve this? Now, look at the floor and ask yourself the same question. This doesn't really apply to using a mouse though.

As for X axis... I don't really care in a RPG. As far as FPS and such go, inverted is terrible.

...and I explained why in the post that you quoted. WTF.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
game is taking too long to come out. I am losing interest.

AmMortal

Banned
otake said:
game is taking too long to come out. I am losing interest.
Yeah, seriously. it's been almost 4 years now and still no gamplay footage :lol

Or nothing ( no trailers etc) on PSN.

I just realised, what a waste of time that was :O

4 years is almost half a decade...I could have done something valuable in that time....

KTallguy

Banned
AmMortal said:
4 years is almost half a decade...I could have done something valuable in that time....

You could always go play some of the awesome PS2 RPGs that you missed.
And there's Valkyrie Chronicles...

Or you could learn Farsi.

Muffdraul

AmMortal said:

Where are you getting four years? It's barely been two. FFXIII was first announced/unveiled in May 2006.

Awntawn

AmMortal said:

You just sat there and waited? Holy shit :lol

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
otake said:
"game is taking too long to come out. I am losing interest."
Alyxvance21.jpg

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Himuro said:

This

pre rendered?

And yet, DMC is still interactive. It's not entirely pre rendered. You can jump on that fountain, for instance, double jump off walls and stuff. Being pre rendered has nothing to do with interactivity or even seamlessness. You can still do it.
Heh, I knew you'd post something like that. Don't worry, I'm not going to berate you for an honest mistake. :p That's a pretty big complement, though, don't you think? I mean, do those REALLY look pre-rendered to you?

DMC did use a lot of cinematic angles like that, but it was always rendered in realtime at 60 fps. Same for the rest of the series. I must admit, but in 2001, those scenes in DMC were absolutely mind blowing. I could not believe the game was running at 60 fps with realtime 3D backdrops. It was games like DMC, MGS2, ICO, Silent Hill 2, and FFX that finally demonstrated just how much more powerful the PS2 was in comparison to Dreamcast (which never pushed games with that much geometry at such a high framerate).

Onimusha used pre-renders for the first two games in the series, however.

I really don't think pre-rendered backgrounds make sense any longer, however. The machines are more than capable of delivering highly detailed scenery without resorting to static imagery. Take a look at the 60 fps Devil May Cry 4, for instance. Many of its backgrounds are superior to older pre-renders.

For instance. These backgrounds all look incredible, yet they are able to have the camera pan around in a cinematic fashion. Pre-renders would make that impossible.

928376_20080205_screen011.jpg

938687_20070430_screen040.jpg

928376_20080205_screen012.jpg

Dude, again WTF. 99% of the backgrounds in FFX are real-time.
Yep, there were VERY few pre-renders in FFX. Just a few random single rooms here and there.

Askia47

AmMortal said:

its only been 2 years and 3 months since May 2006.

Amir0x

Banned
heh Himuro's failure to tell legitimate pre-rendered from the 3D backgrounds of a early PS2 game pretty much says all that ever needs to be said regarding keeping that relic of ancient shitty technology around.

Pre-rendered: failure of lack of immersion and awful limitations.

The future is now, bitches!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Amir0x said:
heh Himuro's failure to tell legitimate pre-rendered from the 3D backgrounds of a early PS2 game pretty much says all that ever needs to be said regarding keeping that relic of ancient shitty technology around.
Amir0x said:
heh Himuro's failure to tell legitimate pre-rendered from the 3D
Amir0x said:
Himuro's failure
Oh, how I love repeating that.
Amir0x said:
The future is now, bitches!
Moth' fucking yes!

Yeah, there are some legitimate reasons to feel nostalgia for prerendered backgrounds, but all of those complaints would be fixed and more by really good camera systems (as opposed to the clunkiness you get out of practically everything that doesn't have either fixed/dynamic camera positions or 1st person/over-the-shoulder view).

I can see developers using pre-rendered/fmv backgrounds for things going on way in the distance. Didn't Halo do this for distant air battles and such? If it wasn't Halo, I def. heard of some game doing it. Seems to make sense in not wasting polygons/lighting/etc on something that you would never see from multiple angles.

Gattsu25

Banned
Himuro said:

This

]http://ps2media.ign.com/media/previews/image/devilmaycry/dmc_final_11_640w.jpg[/img]

does not
]http://ps2media.ign.com/media/previews/image/devilmaycry/dmc_final_10_640w.jpg[/img]

look

http://ps2media.ign.com/media/previews/image/dmc2/dmc_4_640w.jpg[/img]

pre rendered?

]http://ps2media.ign.com/media/previews/image/dmc2/dmc_32_640w.jpg[/img]
]http://ps2media.ign.com/media/previews/image/dmc2/dmc_7_640w.jpg[/img]
]http://ps2media.ign.com/media/news/image/anoop/010525update/bg07_640w.jpg[/img]

And yet, DMC is still interactive. It's not entirely pre rendered. You can jump on that fountain, for instance, double jump off walls and stuff. Being pre rendered has nothing to do with interactivity or even seamlessness. You can still do it.
None of those are pre-rendered.

Idiot.

Souther

Banned
People just like to take things a lil to far.

Dude makes a mistake...people jump all over him. Its pretty typical nowadays. Plus the multiple posts about the same thing that had already come to conclusion 4-5 posts before.

People just want to get in their 2 cents.

tough love i guess :)

Muffdraul

Himuro was legendary at the old Square Edge (or whatever the fuck they were called) forums for having the complete inability to tell the difference between FFX's high poly and low poly models. :D

EDIT: I remember now- Square Gamer. I think. And I'm pretty sure he isn't the only alumnus 'round here...

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Himuro said:
I swear I thought DMC is a mix between real 3d graphics and pre rendered graphics. I haven't played in a while, so I could be wrong, but that's what I always thought.

No! Pre rendered bgs are here to stay! Square should use them!

;_;
Normally I don't agree with nothing you say but, quoting for the fucking truth!

Realtime still looks like shit compared to pre-rendered backgrounds. I don't give a damn about the camera in RPG's. Hopefully Square Enix really does use this in of their RPGs this gen.

Static > Dynamic in RPGs by a goddamn landslide. Over the shoulder look in those games should disappear completely.

Threi

notag
Teetris said:

Realtime still looks like shit compared to pre-rendered backgrounds. I don't give a damn about the camera in RPG's. Hopefully Square Enix really does use this in of their RPGs this gen.

Static > Dynamic in RPGs by a goddamn landslide. Over the shoulder look in those games should disappear completely.
Once again, there is no inherent advantage to using pre-rendered backgrounds vs full polygonal, especially with the horsepower the PS360 (and even the Wii) has. A camera doesn't need to be fully static to be good, and while yes, the over-the-shoulder camera is not that great, that isn't an excuse to stick to pre-rendered.

I believe that most people defending pre-rendered backgrounds are people defending the effort spent in art direction regarding environments, something lost with the new-age-graphic-whore gamers. And I agree. But that isn't something remedied by using pre-rendered backgrounds.

RiZ III

Teetris said:

As has been stated before, during most of the cinemas in that game you can move the camera. The ones you can't are most likely prerendered, but I recall all of them giving you the ability to move the camera.

Threi said:
Once again, there is no inherent advantage to using pre-rendered backgrounds vs full polygonal, especially with the horsepower the PS360 (and even the Wii) has. A camera doesn't need to be fully static to be good, and while yes, the over-the-shoulder camera is not that great, that isn't an excuse to stick to pre-rendered.

I believe that most people defending pre-rendered backgrounds are people defending the effort spent in art direction regarding environments, something lost with the new-age-graphic-whore gamers. And I agree. But that isn't something remedied by using pre-rendered backgrounds.
This. I think it's a combination of art direction issues and the fact that most user-controlled cameras (that aren't in some sense tied to the viewpoint of the character you're playing as) suck.

Yoshichan

Jax said:
I went away and now this thread has gone from

FFXIII vs LO vs WRC

to an armpit comparison thread?

:lol :lol :lol
Oh but the best part of this thread is the DMC-being-pre-rendered-part.

Oh, and boobs with veins too.

I don't think the watery cave pic is real-time. Or it uses a pre-rendered background. There's too many polygons, I can't see a single hard edge.

Farnack

Banned
proposition said:
I don't think the watery cave pic is real-time. Or it uses a pre-rendered background. There's too many polygons, I can't see a single hard edge.
They blurred and softened the whole thing. :lol

Durante

I can't get enough of looking at these pictures.
final-fantasy-xiii-20080826034708350.jpg

What I really like in this one (besides the amazing setting and beautiful art, that much is obvious) is the difference in bearing between Lightning and Nomchan. While the former takes purposeful strides, eyes set on their goal, the latter seems to glance in wonder at their surroundings.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Durante said:
What I really like in this one (besides the amazing setting and beautiful art, that much is obvious) is the difference in bearing between Lightning and Nomchan. While the former takes purposeful strides, eyes set on their goal, the latter seems to glance in wonder at their surroundings.

Well, that was creepy.

Top Bottom