• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXIII and FFVersusXIII direct feed HD realtime shots from IGN (56k stuck on SD)

Looks good, but I cant really see the hype or "ZOMG NEXTGEN!!!!111".

Its one of a lot good or great looking games, but those new shots are getting released too late (for me) to say "WOW", especially after

Gears, that was in 2006
Uncharted in 2007
MGS4 in 2008
Heavy Rain media
Killzone 2 media
Gears 2 media
Star Ocean 4 media

So am I the only one who "got used to it?"

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Hellraizer said:
Looks good, but I cant really see the hype or "ZOMG NEXTGEN!!!!111".

Its one of a lot good or great looking games, but those new shots are getting released too late (for me) to say "WOW", especially after

Gears, that was in 2006
Uncharted in 2007
MGS4 in 2008
Heavy Rain media
Killzone 2 media
Gears 2 media
Star Ocean 4 media

So am I the only one who "got used to it?"
So basically, what you're trying to say is that you can't wait for video footage of an esper being summoned with CG-like graphics?

Great! Me too!

Seiken said:
So basically, what you're trying to say is that you can't wait for video footage of an esper being summoned with CG-like graphics?

Great! Me too!
:D Yeah maybe when some hd video footage comes out, but those shots cant get me into "hype mode" - technically speaking.

Gattsu25

Banned
GreekWolf said:
Er... I'm pulling hard for WKC, but what you're suggesting might be tough.

2567801742_14d6dfec41_b.jpg

I have no doubts that we'll see major improvements in both titles before they ship.
Holy hell! Is that how star ocean looks? I never clicked on any of the threads because...well...outside of the first 1/3 of SO2...I friggin hate that series as well as the partial-birth abortion that was Radiata Stories

Busty

Banned
Durante said:
Before, it was "No way this is realtime. Lulz Square CGI shop". Now it's "It's not really that impressive".:lol

While I agree that I can't see how someone can say, in all honesty, that FFXXII isn't impressive (let alone impressive for a multi format game), we are living in a post Killzone2/Crysis 'world'.

So while those shots are very impressive you have to admit that they would have blown everyone's mind two years ago.

_Xenon_

Banned
Why I have a feeling that the #2 shot is basically 2 characters walking on a prerender'ed painting? The depth of field effect is sort of wrong.

Apart from that, the other shots are gorgeous. After FFXII nobody would doubt their art designers have some sort of magic.

Negaiido

Busty said:
While I agree that I can't see how someone can say, in all honesty, that FFXXII isn't impressive (let alone impressive for a multi format game), we are living in a post Killzone2/Crysis 'world'.

So while those shots are very impressive you have to admit that they would have blown everyone's mind two years ago.

WoW FFXXII isn't that game gonna be really uber?
I heard its gonna be virtual reality and we can jump into the game like in The Matrix :p

Edit:

We shouldn't forget that the game is far from off so it could get a lot more impressive.
And Final Fantasy is not like Killzone
an PS3 Exclusive :D

Lightning said:
Won't ever? LOL. How many have said that and ended up with a big egg on their head...

sales in Japan for FFXIII 1.1mil and you can bet your ass that a Wii version will be following quick smart.
Yeah. Because of the load they'll probably do something different for the wii.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
szaromir said:
This is what we call a meltdown, isn't it?:lol
It's called, a joke.

Went to bed after page 9 or so last night, but has anyone confirmed that the first pic is the only "realtime" one?

As in, playable/what we'll actually see most of the time?

AmMortal

Banned
gregor7777 said:
Went to bed after page 9 or so last night, but has anyone confirmed that the first pic is the only "realtime" one?

As in, playable/what we'll actually see most of the time?

These look like they're from real time cut-scenes.

no game footage.

AmMortal said:
These look like they're from real time cut-scenes.

no game footage.

Clearly they're mostly cut-scenes, you can tell from the subs.

But that first pic really bothers me. I'll tell you why.

To me it's noticeable lack of fidelity in comparison with the rest of the pics makes it stand apart. It's like one of those scenes in a JRPG where you're running around a dungeon and there's something the game wants you to see so it backs the camera up a bit for a better angle.

All of the other pics you can tell are not realtime in that they're prerecorded and thus can have a lot of tricks applied that you can't do while the player has control.

The first pic is still outstanding, but it's clearly different than the rest.

Torquill

Busty said:
While I agree that I can't see how someone can say, in all honesty, that FFXII isn't impressive (let alone impressive for a multi format game),

It's not a multi-platform game yet, if they're announced dev plans are accurate. They've said they aren't starting 360 development until the PS3 version is finished.

antiloop

gregor7777 said:
All of the other pics you can tell are not realtime in that they're prerecorded and thus can have a lot of tricks applied that you can't do while the player has control.

You mean like a cut-scene?

The aliasing is the obvious sign that these are done in-engine and that they are not pre-rendered.
Versus looks early, but it's rumored to have a later release date so maybe that's why. Just look at the candles.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Why would you think they are pre-recorded? I don't think that's the case at all.

Again, these aren't a far cry from what we saw in Devil May Cry 4. Furthermore, you can see variation in model quality between different shots. I believe all of them are running realtime in the engine.

Chances are high that the only pre-recorded video segments will be full blown CG. With a game like Uncharted or Heavenly Sword, using video is a reasonable solution as the games are fairly short. FFXIII is going to be *MUCH* longer, however, and there is simply no way they could pre-render all of these cutscenes and play them as videos. Even a 50gb Blu-ray disc wouldn't be close to enough. The fact that the game is planned for XBOX360 as well would suggest that they cannot rely on video.

I don't see what's so hard to believe about these shots.

The variation in model quality can be seen here. Notice her hair as well as the beads around her neck. The close-up shot contains more detail, which is often the norm for such situations (use higher quality models for close-ups). I'd imagine that the lower detail model is what we will see during gameplay.

final-fantasy-xiii-20080826034729053.jpg

final-fantasy-xiii-20080826034718288.jpg

antiloop said:
Versus looks early, but it's rumored to have a later release date so maybe that's why. Just look at the candles.

Yeah, actually, that was the shot I was talking about.

dark10x said:
Why would you think they are pre-recorded? I don't think that's the case at all.

Again, these aren't a far cry from what we saw in Devil May Cry 4. Furthermore, you can see variation in model quality between different shots. I believe all of them are running realtime in the engine.

Chances are high that the only pre-recorded video segments will be full blown CG. With a game like Uncharted or Heavenly Sword, using video is a reasonable solution as the games are fairly short. FFXIII is going to be *MUCH* longer, however, and there is simply no way they could pre-render all of these cutscenes and play them as videos. Even a 50gb Blu-ray disc wouldn't be close to enough. The fact that the game is planned for XBOX360 as well would suggest that they cannot rely on video.

I don't see what's so hard to believe about these shots.

Call me a skeptic, is all. To me, one shot looks noticeably "worse" than the others, and I wonder why. The fact that it looks like a playable scene, and the other obviously aren't, furthers my skepticism.

And to my eyes, I haven't seen anything produced in realtime on either console that matches the quality of most of those pics, including the DMC one you posted a while back.

dark10x

gregor7777 said:
Call me a skeptic, is all. To me, one shot looks noticeably "worse" than the others, and I wonder why. The fact that it looks like a playable scene, and the other obviously aren't, furthers my skepticism.

And to my eyes, I haven't seen anything produced in realtime on either console that matches the quality of most of those pics, including the DMC one you posted a while back.
I think the problem is that the first shot shows an open area rather than focusing on a model. The other Versus XIII shots show close-ups of the character models with depth of field blurring out the background. They are all a part of the same scene.

The FFXIII shots are unrelated, however (different game). Seriously, there are enough rendering flaws present that you should be able to see that these are realtime. The fact that there exists differences between models prove this as well.

What exactly do you believe these shots represent? I mean, we know they aren't CG as we've seen the CG for XIII and it is more detailed. These can't be video sequences as games of this length would make that approach impossible due to storage limitations (HD video eats up tons of space + data storage for everything else). So, video is right out.

dark10x

Kyoufu said:
Which is ironic considering how much hate Nomura's other action-RPGs get around here...
Kingdom Hearts? The largest problem with KH for me was the fact that each environment consisted of a series of unrelated rooms strung together by load screens with hundreds of samey respawning enemies showing up throughout. The game was very poorly designed.

Hopefully Versus XIII does not fall into such a design pitfall.

Yoshichan

Himuro said:
I really hope this has pre rendered bgs.
If real 3D backgrounds will look like this:

final-fantasy-xiii-20080826034721850.jpg

There is no point with prerendered BGs.

gregor7777 said:

Aliasing, dithering, the ever present DOF fuzzy edges bug...they're all definitely real time. The closeups are likely just like they were in FFX, models with much more geometry than the gameplay models and are used only for cutscenes. Realtime cutscenes, mind you. CG and even prerecorded footage tends to have a fundamentally different look to it that you don't see here.

Mononofu

Himuro said:
Yeah, because those enemy designs appeared in Killzone FIRST. KILLZONE IS IMAGINATIVE. WHY CAN'T FF13 BE IMAGINATIVE?

*sees his eyes roll out the door*

The guy who designed the helghast wasn't inspired by jin-roh.

"UGO: Where did the design of the Helghast commandos originate? Many gamers have noticed a direct influence from the Anime Jin-Roh, amongst others.

Guerrilla: It's common knowledge now that Killzone draws its battle inspiration from major 20th century theatres of war. Continuing this theme, our lead visualizer took the strongest visual styles from these wars and combined them in a modern way to create the striking characters in the game. The most powerful symbol of the Helghast soldier is the full-face mask, inspired by the gas masks of WW1."

dark10x

Seiken said:
If real 3D backgrounds will look like this:

There is no point with prerendered BGs.
I really want to see that in motion. It certainly appears realtime (look at the water splashes as well as the DOF edges around the characters), but I wonder how it will animate. Whether or not the scene is really going to be impressive depends entirely upon the motion of the water.

Who's to say that isn't a pre rendered bg?
That doesn't look pre-rendered AT ALL. Seriously, pre-rendered water is still light years beyond that scene. It has a neat "painting-like" appearance in stills, though.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
dark10x said:
I really want to see that in motion. It certainly appears realtime (look at the water splashes as well as the DOF edges around the characters), but I wonder how it will animate. Whether or not the scene is really going to be impressive depends entirely upon the motion of the water.

I believe those waters are frozen, my boy.

Is anyone else surprised by the lack of self shadowing? Or deep shadows period? Or are they there just realised in a different way?

Durante

gregor7777 said:
Call me a skeptic, is all. To me, one shot looks noticeably "worse" than the others, and I wonder why.
Easily explained: Square has always used a number of different (realtime) models depending on the situation. I think some characters in FFX had 4 models.

gregor7777 said:
And to my eyes, I haven't seen anything produced in realtime on either console that matches the quality of most of those pics
I fully agree with this part. Especially the hair. OH THE HAIR.

Revelations said:
Is anyone else surprised by the lack of self shadowing? Or deep shadows period? Or are they there just realised in a different way?
as long as the inside of people's mouths aren't creepily lit up, I'm not too worried about self shadowing.

Darkman M

Since these games were announced i always said XIIIVS grabbed my interest while FFXIII didn't Ive really lost hope in the Final Fantasy main series. Ill end up buying both but VS is the one i can get somewhat excited about and it's probably a long way from coming.

Revelations said:
It's in, just somewhat subtle.

Right Shoulder(her right)
final-fantasy-xiii-20080826034718288.jpg

Left Shoulder (this one is obvious)
final-fantasy-versus-xiii-20080826034423278.jpg

dark10x

The third Versus shot does have self shadowing and I see more subtle shadowing in other shots. It's possible that it will depend on the scene. Some games have it wrong and tend to display dark shadows at all times when, in reality, scene lighting can have a dramatic impact on shadows. When walking outside on a cloudy day, for instance, you really don't cast much of a shadow on the ground or yourself.

Himuro said:
Lost Odyssey's intro is fmv, and it's fuck amazing, and the game switches to real time at the flip of a hat. One of my top 5 most impressive technical moments this gen:

http://gamersyde.com/stream_5565_en.html

As far as I know, the game has a mix of fmv and in game graphics. Could be wrong, but the idea that pre rendered bgs is entirely not needed now is silly to me. It's a stylistic choice. It's kinda like saying you shouldn't have any games that are cel shaded because realism is better.
I've always thought that prerendered backgrounds could be a serious boon to some modern games. Look at how gorgeous REMake was because the only polygons they had to push were the characters and enemies. I have to imagine that the same would apply, but even moreso, in the modern generation. You could make your games goddamn GORGEOUS.

That said, I wouldn't want to see a Final Fantasy game in this generation go with prerendered backgrounds, since that pretty much forces you to go with random encounters on a separate screen instead of encountering enemies on the field screen. I wouldn't mind the occasional prerendered background, though - Final Fantasy X handled that very well. Dynamic camera angles can still be very nice and cinematic, but with incredible advantages during cutscenes now that we have voice acting and want to show the characters' faces.

Himuro said:
Who's to say that isn't a pre rendered bg?

I still don't think they could do FFX's opening fmv with real time in game graphics. Well, they could, but not nearly as well. JollyCorner and I agree with that point.

In fact, where the hell is my man JollyCorner anyways? How long has his ass been banned and when is he unbanned?

I really really doubt you could do the Garden Wars in FFVIII or FFX's opening fmv without fmv of some kind, even now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqJYXoC1OQc

:bow

JollyCorner was banned? For what?

Himuro said:
Chrono Cross had pre rendered bgs and no random encounters.

And yes, pre rendered bgs would let your game look gorgeous.
Sorry, I didn't mean random encounters, I mean that encounters shouldn't take place on a separate screen.

Top Bottom