• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXIII and FFVersusXIII direct feed HD realtime shots from IGN (56k stuck on SD)

rager said:
I hope this is a joke.
It isn't. Those are very valid critique points, and I'm going to boycott Final Fantasy XIII until they're fixed.

Also, I don't understand anyone's obsession with Nom. Lightning is badass. She is better than Nom. Fact.

First statement is sarcasm.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Himuro said:
I still don't see why you have to have a seperate screen if you use a mix of pre rendered and 3d graphics like say...in DMC.
Eh? I can't recall any pre-rendered backgrounds in any Devil May Cry title. I've just been replaying DMC4 and there is not a single pre-rendered background in the game.

soldat7

jett said:
Protip: XIII does not have randon encounters, it's already been confirmed.

I think I read somewhere that the combat will be something between how X and XII handles it...pseudo real-time MMO-style? I just hope they deviate a bit more away from XII's combat...

soldat7 said:
I think I read somewhere that the combat will be something between how X and XII handles it...pseudo real-time MMO-style? I just hope they deviate a bit more away from XII's combat...
I hope more X and less XII. ;)

360 version confirmed for sure.
There is no 360 version as of now, but yes the dithering sucks, I rather would have the game without any soft shadows instead of this pixel crap, reminds me of Mass Effect, and I hated the face shadows in ME...but well its not that bad in the versus screen.

jett

D-Member
soldat7 said:

Toriyama said that it will be ATB/turn-based again, but with visible enemies on the field. This is all guesspeculation, but maybe it'll be similiar to how Chrono Trigger does it. Visible monsters, you fight right there on the field, and turn-based combat.

Cannot wait for both of these, Those shots look amazing,Especially the weird arty ice area.

Square are gods when it comes to Modelling, But I just wish they would give the PC a shot for a big budget project just to see how far they can reach graphically.

jett said:
Toriyama said that it will be ATB/turn-based again, but with visible enemies on the field. This is all guesspeculation, but maybe it'll be similiar to how Chrono Trigger does it. Visible monsters, you fight right there on the field, and turn-based combat.
I hope they could go for some kind of combination of the Chrono Trigger and FFXII method of encounters - I don't want to be able to totally clear out an area and have to leave and come back in order to fight anything there. Something like Chrono Trigger coupled with enemy spawning sounds good to me.

Himuro said:

And yet, DMC is still interactive. It's not entirely pre rendered. You can jump on that fountain, for instance, double jump off walls and stuff. Being pre rendered has nothing to do with interactivity or even seamlessness. You can still do it.

The backgrounds in DMC are entirely real-time, the camera is just static.

Zoe

I hope you can still control the character's movement during the battles. There were a few big battles in FFXII where that played into part of my strategy.

Durante

If there's one game that does not need pre-rendered backgrounds it's a huge-budget Square title on PS3. Seriously Himu, I sympathize with your cause to some extent, but this is the wrong thread.

Himuro said:

This

dmc_final_11_640w.jpg

does not

dmc_final_10_640w.jpg

look

dmc_4_640w.jpg

pre rendered?

dmc_32_640w.jpg

dmc_7_640w.jpg

bg07_640w.jpg

And yet, DMC is still interactive. It's not entirely pre rendered. You can jump on that fountain, for instance, double jump off walls and stuff. Being pre rendered has nothing to do with interactivity or even seamlessness. You can still do it.
Poor, poor Himuro. None of those are prerendered, they just have fixed cameras (though the camera still tracks Dante while remaining in one position).

jett

D-Member
Himuro said:

This

dmc_final_11_640w.jpg

does not

dmc_final_10_640w.jpg

look

dmc_4_640w.jpg

pre rendered?

dmc_32_640w.jpg

dmc_7_640w.jpg

bg07_640w.jpg

:lol Holy shit you're such a failure. That's all real time.

Himuro said:
I swear I thought DMC is a mix between real 3d graphics and pre rendered graphics. I haven't played in a while, so I could be wrong, but that's what I always thought.
My guess is that it's very possible that your memories of Onimusha 1/2 might have blended in with your memories of DMC a little bit. They've got pretty similar game design in a lot of ways, and the fixed camera angles for much of the DMC series would make it easy to remember things that way.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
Himuro said:
I swear I thought DMC is a mix between real 3d graphics and pre rendered graphics. I haven't played in a while, so I could be wrong, but that's what I always thought.

No! Pre rendered bgs are here to stay! Square should use them!

;_;

I vote that Himuro is never allowed to speak again about graphics in any capacity.

Himuro said:
I barely give a shit about graphics.

Unless they are pre rendered bgs!!!
I think that if FFXIII uses dynamic/fixed camera angles in the same vein as FFX, the increased graphical fidelity of this generation will win you over. You just don't want to have to mess with camera controls, a sentiment that I completely agree with since that got rather annoying in FFXII and both Kingdom Hearts games.

It would be great to see a game with prerendered backgrounds in HD this generation, but I can't see that fitting a game that wants you to fight enemies on the field screen. A more 'retro' JRPG using prerendered backgrounds would be great (legend of dragoon 2 plz).

Threi

notag
Himuro said:
I barely give a shit about graphics.

Unless they are pre rendered bgs!!!
=\

Pre-rendered BG's do nothing to advance the art direction, especially today with the capable power.

I guess what it is is that you miss the art direction used in Squaresoft games during the PS1 era.

They can be replicated, but they haven't because of the quest to advance the "shiny next-gen" look. More effort nowadays is put into skin textures than art assets for environments.

I mean look at the arguing points in this thread FFS. Goddamn graphical fidelity of character models. Self-Shadowing and other stupid shit like that.

What the fuck.

anyways i shouldn't be using you as a faucet to vent though.

jett

D-Member
Camera control is a must on the field, I can deal with some non-controllable locations to give a more cinematic feeling though.

Himuro said:
Yeah. I don't even see the NEED for a camera in an rpg honestly, and yet when you have a camera, it takes away from the visuals.

Something like FFX would REALLY make me satisfied.
There are times when I'd really like to be able to look around the environment; perhaps some kind of POV button like Vagrant Story had would be nice?

Septimus said:
So who exactly IS handling the port when the time comes? Or do we not know this yet?

All we know is that it won't be the team that's developing the PS3 version

The Xbox 360 version is being ported by a different team than the core FFXIII PS3 team, and since the agreement with Microsoft has just been established, porting has, as of this moment, not yet begun.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3168776

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Hahaha, I come back to this thread and read Himuros DMC post.

Right away I click on "Post reply" to start the bashing but oh man, was I old.

soldat7

jett said:
Camera control is a must on the field, I can deal with some non-controllable locations to give a more cinematic feeling though.

FFXII was almost unplayable for me due to the lack of Inverse X-axis option. Don't fail me again Square!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
soldat7 said:
FFXII was almost unplayable for me due to the lack of Inverse X-axis option. Don't fail me again Square!
Wait, seriously :lol ?

Awntawn

jett said:
I wonder if it will be outsourced.
I'm interested in how SE is going to handle the extra disc royalties issue with MS that Carmack was going on about. Do you guys think MS is going to make a special exception to SE just for FFXIII? And if so, wouldn't that piss the hell out of other 3rd party developers? ;o

Well I'm for example used to the "usual 3rd person shooter" camera control, played FFXII a couple of days ago after a year without touching it, and I had problems controlling it :/

Awntawn said:
I'm interested in how SE is going to handle the extra disc royalties issue with MS that Carmack was going on about. Do you guys think MS is going to make a special exception to SE just for FFXIII? And if so, wouldn't that piss the hell out of other 3rd party developers? ;o
Concessions can be made if the developer had no other choice. MSFT can be very reasonable with their royalty sanctions.

soldat7

badcrumble said:
I don't get why people like an inverted X-axis if they're not going to invert the Y-axis as well.

Maybe I've got it backwards...whatever the option would be to actually turn right when I press right (like any standard modern third-person game) is what I want. Many Japanese games (Otogi, NG Black, FFXII) swing the camera the opposite way you press along the X-axis. This should be something that's changeable, just like the Y-axis (which I ALWAYS invert).

Septimus said:
Good! I was sure as hell hoping it would be someone else. I want them to move on to new and different things after this.

I imagine that NA/Europe will still have a simultaneous release though.

Septimus said:
Good! I was sure as hell hoping it would be someone else. I want them to move on to new and different things after this.
It;s probably the TLR team that will do the conversion. TLR will be long finished by then. Plus that team will have significant knowledge about the 360 architecture by then as well.

Muffdraul

badcrumble said:
I don't get why people like an inverted X-axis if they're not going to invert the Y-axis as well.

The people who prefer inverted Y-axis control only prefer it because at some point in their lives they played video games with that control scheme. Maybe it was old arcade games like Tailgunner and Red Baron. Maybe it was Star Master or Barn Stormer on the 2600. Maybe it was Ace Combat or Colony Wars on the PSX. Whatever. The important thing is, the people who created those games based the controls on actual flight controls that real airplanes use. When you're flying a plane, pulling back (down) makes you go up, and pushing forward (up) makes you go down. But when you push right, you go right. When you push left, you go left. It's just the way it is, you'd probably have to go back in time and ask the Wright Bros. why they did it that way.

Muffdraul said:
The people who prefer inverted Y-axis control only prefer it because at some point in their lives they played video games with that control scheme. Maybe it was old arcade games like Tailgunner and Red Baron. Maybe it was Star Master or Barn Stormer on the 2600. Maybe it was Ace Combat or Colony Wars on the PSX. Whatever. The important thing is, the people who created those games based the controls on actual flight controls that real airplanes use. When you're flying a plane, pulling back (down) makes you go up, and pushing forward (up) makes you go down. But when you push right, you go right. When you push left, you go left. It's just the way it is, you'd probably have to go back in time and ask the Wright Bros. why they did it that way.

Inverted Y is just far more natural. Look at the ceiling of your home/office. Which way did you move your head to achieve this? Now, look at the floor and ask yourself the same question. This doesn't really apply to using a mouse though.

As for X axis... I don't really care in a RPG. As far as FPS and such go, inverted is terrible.

Awntawn

Revelations said:
Concessions can be made if the developer had no other choice. MSFT can be very reasonable with their royalty sanctions.
But why was Carmack making so much noise over it then? Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know they ended up settling for 2 discs with sacrifices made to visual fidelity?

Top Bottom