• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 18 |OT| It's in the Switch

xandaca

I'm sure this is a stupid question but I haven't played a new FIFA for about six years: can you still edit players' attributes and create new players? I have a really odd, and annoying, OCD-ish thing going on with changing football game attributes to levels I agree with (I typically spend two weeks editing the database before starting new Football Manager games) and adding youth players not in the game, etc. I remember a couple of older FIFAs took this out for a while so just want to make sure it's still in now. If I finally take the dive for a Switch, I'd be buying FIFA for it.

Got my switch preorder in but would have been nice to see some reviews for the switch version by now.

Hoping for good things however.

Putosaure

As I can have the physical version for 48€, I'll stick with it even if I'd prefer digital. Well, it's better in case I want to resell it I guess.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Can you actually create your own club and have a bunch of random players in your team? I'm not sure you can.

But I suppose you could just start as Accrington Stanley and work your way up from there.

Right, you can't create a new team. Accrington Stanley sounds like a good choice though.

Kinan

Not really.

You don't need complex analysis to explain why watching a bunch of idiots talk about how important and serious football is when you're supposed to be playing a game for fun is bad. It's everything bad about video games combined with everything bad about football.

That's like, your opinion, man.

I like watching fake people talk in cinemas, I like reading about fake people talking in books, I like watching real people talk about football on tv, and yes, I like role-playing and living out stories in video games. Before Journey I would let my fantasy do the job when making my character in the Career mode, now I can additionally live/play through the story crafted by others, and I like to have that option.

I know I'm not alone with this, and I cannot imaging how someone cannot understand the appeal of it, even if he is personally not into that stuff.

Hopefully now you get the idea about "who can enjoy watching fucking cutscenes in a football game".

That interview was a good read. Really looking forward to picking it up on the Switch on Friday. Can't believe I'm saying this but I've got your back, EA!

That's like, your opinion, man.

I like watching fake people talk in cinemas, I like reading about fake people talking in books, I like watching real people talk about football on tv, and yes, I like role-playing and living out stories in video games. Before Journey I would let my fantasy do the job when making my character in the Career mode, now I can additionally live/play through the story crafted by others, and I like to have that option.

I know I'm not alone with this, and I cannot imaging how someone cannot understand the appeal of it, even if he is personally not into that stuff.

Hopefully now you get the idea about "who can enjoy watching fucking cutscenes in a football game".

Where did I say that nobody else liked it?

I don't need you to explain to me that people are capable of liking garbage. I also don't need you to tell me that opinions exist. If you disagree with my opinion I really don't care. Congratulations.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
The point was that for the Switch version the servers are not available yet (since there is no Icon/Ronaldo edition) according to that reddit comment.

Ahh

Be a bit shit if they aren't in the Switch version, can't really see a reason why they couldn't be

Kinan

Where did I say that nobody else liked it?

I don't need you to explain to me that people are capable of liking garbage. I also don't need you to tell me that opinions exist. If you disagree with my opinion I really don't care. Congratulations.

Damn, man, you are stubborn. You've said: "I have no idea who can enjoy watching fucking cutscenes in a football game". I just tried to give you that idea. You dismiss everything you don't like as "garbage" and that is universally very, very dumb thing to do. Tastes, do you know about them? If I like watching small kids, and you do not, does that makes all kids videos "garbage"? And people that likes to watch them are "people that are capable to liking garbage"?

I'm stopping this conversation as I do not think it can lead somewhere, all the best to you in your sad black and white world.

Damn, man, you are stubborn. You've said: "I have no idea who can enjoy watching fucking cutscenes in a football game". I just tried to give you that idea. You dismiss everything you don't like as "garbage" and that is universally very, very dumb thing to do. Tastes, do you know about them? If I like watching small kids, and you do not, does that makes all kids videos "garbage"? And people that likes to watch them are "people that are capable to liking garbage"?

I'm stopping this conversation as I do not think it can lead somewhere, all the best to you in your sad black and white world.

You liking it doesn't mean I understand how you can enjoy it. Someone who loves broccoli can sit here and tell me they love it, it doesn't mean I will understand how they can like something I think is awful.

Your argument boils down to "people like things you don't like". That's wonderful. That's why I stated that people like it and I don't understand how. I'm not looking for someone to convince me.

And yeah, enjoying "watching small kids" is very weird.

Wiped89

Jesus - would be a insta buy if they did that!

I used to play the PSP ones to death.

The Vita got one. I know SIE focus on mobile for their portable version now, but I don't think it's totally impossible to see FM on Switch if sales keep up.

Haunted

I love the idea of having a (nearly) fully-fledged version of FIFA on the go.

But when I actually examine my needs and when I am likely to play the game under what circumstances... I don't actually envision too much of a use case for me. FIFA is a local MP kinda thing for me, getting together with friends to play the game on a big screen.

Bumhead

Banned
I love the idea of having a (nearly) fully-fledged version of FIFA on the go.

But when I actually examine my needs and when I am likely to play the game under what circumstances... I don't actually envision too much of a use case for me. FIFA is a local MP kinda thing for me, getting together with friends to play the game on a big screen.

You can do that on Switch..?

My FIFA 18 review.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2017/09/27/fifa-18-review/

Settled on an 8/10 in the end after much deliberation. Found defending to be a bit of a chore to pick up but got handle of it eventually. The Journey isn't as impactful in terms of story beats this year but still does different things.

In light of the MT issue FIFA does have them but they're limited to Ultimate Team and only really allow you to buy packs. Cosmetic items are all unlockable and don't require purchase unlike a certain other title.

Xater

Cuningas de Häme;250160543 said:
They addressed this in that one interview with the studio head. They feel that putting the whole FUT right from the get go could have a negative effect on players who haven't ever used it. Other console FIFAs had FUT since like 7 years ago, and it progressed over time.

I know that I was hopelessly lost on 15 on PC, and stopped FUT really soon. So, I kind of agree.

He said that they already have plans what to put in the next FIFA(s), but they need to see if the game sells. They want to continue making it.

The guy was really enthusiastic.

It is EA Bucharest doing the Switch version, I think. It is always nice to have European devs making a football game.

EDIT. Not defending the decision, per se. But I understand their viewpoint. Also, it most likely allowed them to tune the base gameplay more. After all, they made the game from scratch.

But as someone who enjoy SP FUT it just means there are less options. For me excluding Squad Battles is a pretty big deal.

Bumhead

Banned
Sure, but If playing on a big TV is all he is doing, why not get the PS4 (which is objectively better) instead?

I'm getting the Switch version, but if it wasn't for portability I sure wouldn't.

True, you're right.

His post suggested to me there might still be some usage case for portable though rather than none, in which case the one that does both might still be an option?

If it would be a novelty though rather than the main way to play the game, sure, I see how the PS4 version would be preferable.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Squad Battles is a great addition, but if I continue to see squads that looks like TOTY squad I think I will stop playing it.

I just played against one with C. Ronaldo, Messi and Bale in attack. The one before that was C. Ronaldo, Ronaldo and T. Henry.

Playing Professional or above it's not fun anymore. Any free kick and is an instant goal. Any corner is at least a huge chance The same with the through balls if I don't manage to block the passing player.

Lashley

Squad Battles is a great addition, but if I continue to see squads that looks like TOTY squad I think I will stop playing it.

I just played against one with C. Ronaldo, Messi and Bale in attack. The one before that was C. Ronaldo, Ronaldo and T. Henry.

Playing Professional or above it's not fun anymore. Any free kick and is an instant goal. Any corner is at least a huge chance The same with the through balls if I don't manage to block the passing player.
the two times I came up against squads like that I got beat 3-1 and 2-0 :(

Any other time I have won, you can view the squad beforehand with triangle btw, not that it helps

I wish it didn't limit the amount of games either :(

Danchi

Not sure whether to get the PS4 version or the Switch version.

Don't really care about The Journey or any differences in resolution, but I'd be disappointed if the AI was noticeably worse. I mostly play Career Mode, and after a while every game starts to feel the same even at the best of times.

Lashley

Talking PS4

FIFA 18 is the PES 6 of the FIFA franchise. Good gameplay, good AI, mixed with many game modes.

I agree.

GK's could do with a little adjustment, but the game is amazing.

I pray that a patch doesn't fuck it all up after the kid FUT players whine that its too hard

Shari

Talking PS4

FIFA 18 is the PES 6 of the FIFA franchise. Good gameplay, good AI, mixed with many game modes.

Let's wait until the honeymoon period is over before putting out the big sentences.

Jesus PES6, probably my most played football game ever, and I'm a guy that buys yearly since ISSPRO and that's been buying sometimes both games since FIFA07.

Nonetheless, you excite me, a lot, since you look like you know what you are talking about.

Lashley

Why is it so obviously ?

And thanks :)

be a bad career mode if you couldn't sell and buy players lol

one of their additions this year is negotiations in real time with cutscenes, as well as release and buy on clauses etc

Haunted

Sure, but If playing on a big TV is all he is doing, why not get the PS4 (which is objectively better) instead?

I'm getting the Switch version, but if it wasn't for portability I sure wouldn't.
Basically.

But if what EA is saying about this being a foundation year for Switch is true and not just lip service like in the past, I'll take a look at next year's version.

Impulsor

I'm also getting the switch version for portability.

This little console is the best.

jts

...hate me...
Can’t wait for those impromptu tabletop joycon 1v1 matches. Sure, cramped hands ahoy, but everything worth it has to hurt a bit :D

Big Blue

Are the teammate AI defenders more aggressive? In FIFA 17, they kept back pedalling and made no attempt to break up the attack.

Top Bottom