• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighter jet crashes into San Diego neighborhood

Status
Not open for further replies.
No details yet, breaking on CNN. US Marine Corps fighter jet crashed into San Diego neighborhood. Anybody watching the news?

edit: Full update from CNN. This thread is a few hours old now so I'm not gonna bold it.

CNN said:
(CNN) -- A military jet crashed into a residential neighborhood in San Diego, California, on Monday as it tried to land at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar, killing two people in a home, authorities said.

Both victims were in one of two houses destroyed by the crash and ensuing fire, and two others believed to be in that house were missing, officials said.

The pilot of the F/A-18 Hornet ejected safely and was taken to a hospital, the Marine Corps said in a news release. The pilot, whose name was not released, was the only occupant of the two-seat aircraft, the Marine Corps said.

At a news conference in the University City community where the crash occurred, San Diego Mayor Jerry Sanders said it was believed that four people -- "possibly a grandmother, a mother and two children" -- were in the destroyed house where firefighters found two bodies.

The other two people believed to be in that house were missing, and firefighters were searching through the rubble, Sanders said.

The other house hit by the plane apparently was unoccupied at the time, he said.

The jet crashed into an area of about 20 homes, Sanders said, but only those two houses burned.

The Marine Corps said the jet was returning to the Miramar field after performing landing training on a Navy aircraft carrier, and the pilot reported having trouble. The exact nature of the trouble was not known, the Marine Corps said, and an investigation was launched into the crash with the military having jurisdiction over the crash site.

Aerial video broadcast by CNN affiliate KGTV shortly after the crash showed thick gray smoke billowing from a residential area near Interstate 805. Smoke continued to rise in clouds from the site nearly an hour after the crash.

Firefighters aimed jets of water from high-pressure hoses at the smoldering rubble.

Authorities cordoned off the area. Residents told reporters they had been informed by police that chemicals were in the air and they should stay away.

One resident interviewed by CNN affiliate KFMB said he saw a fighter jet at a very low altitude, and "it just spiraled, right out of 'Top Gun.' "

The movie "Top Gun" was based on the Navy fighter pilot training program at the Miramar facility.

The resident said he saw a flier from the aircraft on the ground after parachuting from the plane. He said the pilot was dazed but able to move on his own.

Bank worker Scott Bloom told KGTV he was on his way to visit clients when he saw someone eject from the plane. He said the plane was silent in the moments before it went down.

"I thought I was dreaming," Bloom told KGTV. "It was so surreal."

The principal of a high school about three blocks from the crash site said students had just finished lunch when staffers heard "two large pops or two large booms." The school and its students were not directly affected by the crash, but the school was put into lock-down mode for students' safety, Principal Mike Price said.

The pilot was in communication with military air traffic controllers before the jet crashed, and the crash site is about two miles (three kilometers) from the airfield, the Federal Aviation Administration said.

anchorman2wi.jpg

'Straight into a whale's vagina.'

SUPREME1

Banned
That serviceman only needs to crash a few more aircraft and he'll be eligible to run for the US presidency under the MAVERICK tag!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Gallbaro said:
They have old and under funded F18s
I would think the Miramar squadrons at least would have newer Hornets, if not some Super Hornets. Are the Super Hornets only going to the Navy right now?

Mirimar said:
No bodies strewn about, it seems.
:lol @ your name! (Miramar is where the jet crashed)

Good to hear nobody has been reported hurt or dead, yet.

As I'm typing this, there is the sound of a fighter jet right over my building, I'm not even joking.

Gallbaro

Banned
XiaNaphryz said:
I would think the Miramar squadrons at least would have newer Hornets, if not some Super Hornets. Are the Super Hornets only going to the Navy right now?

I think the navy ever planned on them getting the super hornet.

Acid08

Banned
One of my friends is stationed on a base in San Diego right now before he ships out to Afghanistan. I wonder if he knows anything.

Kauza

The details so far according to CNN:

A military jet crashed into a residential neighborhood in San Diego, California, on Monday as its pilot tried to land at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar, an FAA spokesman told CNN.

The pilot ejected before the jet -- an F/A-18, according to a U.S. military source -- went down two miles from the airfield about 11:55 a.m. PT, the Federal Aviation Administration said.

Information about injuries wasn't immediately available, FAA spokesman Ian Gregor said. CNN affiliate KGTV reported that the pilot was transported to a local hospital in "mild status."
advertisement

At least one structure at the crash site was on fire, KGTV reported.

The pilot was in communication with military air traffic controllers before the jet crashed, the FAA said.

F-15's and F-18's (whatever versions of each) seem to not be holding up as well as anticipated. I wonder what effect this will have on the Raptor and JSF programs.

Kauza

Two homes were destroyed, and officials don't know whether anyone was inside the structures during the crash, said Maurice Luque of the San Diego Fire Department, according to KGTV.

The
structural
death toll climbs!

I'm hearing the jet came from Coronado Naval base and was going to Miramar.

For some reason, that's what I thought happened, because Coronado has nothing but F-18s.

It probably took him five minutes to get from one base to the other if he took a straight shot. What could have happened within five minutes?

Also, two children and a woman were in one of the houses.

Dark Octave said:

For some reason, that's what I thought happened, because Coronado has nothing but F-18s.

It probably took him five minutes to get from one base to the other if he took a straight shot. What could have happened within five minutes?

Also, two children and a woman were in one of the houses.

I don't know what could bring a plane down that quickly (I assume there are a number of things, considering how complex modern aircraft are) but I would hate to be the person who cleared that plane for takeoff.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Dark Octave said:

They're 12 miles apart and an F-18 travels at 1190 mph so it got there in 35 seconds.

SUPREME1

Banned
Borgnine said:
They're 12 miles apart and an F-18 travels at 1190 mph so it got there in 35 seconds.

Sorta right.

It could travel that fast, but the jets in the area don't.... windows are very thankful for it.

I say just under 2 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom