• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.
FFT is fairly easy to break but that's part of why it's fun. It's extra hilarious if you level up too soon before you have access to good gear for your classes, level 99 chocobos in random encounters will completely destroy you.
Man I really hate that in RPGs where enemies are scaled to the gear you are expected to have at that level. This is always a huge problem because distribution of experience and gear is completely not aligned as one tends to be fixed and the other random.

Skilletor

Starting to sound like an anime in here where the bad guy knew your move was a trap so he activated his anti-trap, but oh no, the other guy knew about the anti-trap, so you've fallen into his anti-trap-trap.

Fuck parries.

And airblocking, too.

You jumped, you committed to an action, now reap the rewards or consequences of the action you chose.

I would love to play Tactics Ogre, because I adore Ogre Battle. Only game you can let play itself while you read a book, lol. Plus, Liches!

I have no time for RPGs. I am still on the last month of P4G. :/

Edit: I dislike circumstancial air blocking in ASW games. Just let me block or not block.

MrDaravon

Man I really hate that in RPGs where enemies are scaled to the gear you are expected to have at that level. This is always a huge problem because distribution of experience and gear is completely not aligned as one tends to be fixed and the other random.

Yeah, but at least in FFT only random encounters scale to your level, story levels are at fixed levels unless I am totally crazy and mis-remembering that. It's also only an issue in FFT if you get endgame classes in like...Chapter 1 or maybe Chapter 2. You've got to go pretty far out of the way to do it.

Nightii

Banned
We should all just play Karate Champ, simple.

Karate_Champ.png

DunpealD

Starting to sound like an anime in here where the bad guy knew your move was a trap so he activated his anti-trap, but oh no, the other guy knew about the anti-trap, so you've fallen into his anti-trap-trap.

Fuck parries.

And airblocking, too.

You jumped, you committed to an action, now reap the rewards or consequences of the action you chose.

Yeah, i like the commitment part the moment you jump. At least SFV Ryu parry is also a commitment. 3S style parry reminds me of command grabs without whiff animation.

Agreed.

Another reason I'm not liking parrying is because it limits the game.

Compare to Ultra SFIV and Super SFII Turbo and it's night and day. The zoning and footsies game applied in other games isn't as applicable because of parrying. Put a character like Dhalsim into Third Strike and they'll have a hell of a time. I like fightball wars and zoning but a lot of it is made impossible or just really tedious to do because of the existence of parrying. A character like Ryu is almost forced to get in close due to the existence of parrying. Most fights in SF3 are up close and there's severe lack of variety in the fight types.

It just isn't as fun as Super Turbo or Ultra. It isn't even in the same league for me. II and IV are the better games to me.

Great game though.

NEO0MJ

You need to correct this when you're not practicing your fightan game.

Yeah, ha, of course. I'm always practicing my fightan games >.>

That seems like a stupid decision, especially in a game where you have a huge party.

kidaseven I need your Daigo translations NOW b
This is some stuff I remember

-He thought Nemo was the MVP of the upper league
-I think in some context he looked down upon Nemo and Taito Station, I think maybe due to not thinking solely playing there will be good enough, but he was wrong. He apologized to Nemo and Taito Station
-He and Bonchan practiced the Ken matchup. I think Daigo spent 90% of his time practicin the matchup compared to the other ones in Topanga League. They didn't feel it was enough by themselves so they sought out Kichijojiken. They practiced with Kichiken roughly every day.
-Daigo said he rooted for Momochi more than Choco during his match vs Nemo.
-Sounded like because of this practice they were sure Momochi would lose to Daigo, which again reminds me of the time Tokido was sure Infiltration would lose once Daigo mastered the akuma matchup at the time.
-I think he didn't spent much time practicing the Yun matchup. He thought his playstyle might be able to carry him, but he said that turned out a big failure.
-He was very happy at how the upper league was filled with those players to bring the highest level of play. The difficulty is what made him happy more so than the victory.

-I think he said after the Xrd experience, that he would be willing to play another main title with history if he only has to practice one character matchup. Tekken was mentioned.

I was cracking up during the meditation.

Jump should be merely be an action you have to commit to. If you jump, and you get dp'd you deserved that dp. But what if you do a safe jump and manage to bait a dp? Parrying gives characters too much leeway without much if any recourse. There is no whiff on parrying. It's such an unbalanced and one sided approach that there's barely disadvantage to NOT parrying.

DunpealD

Agreed.

Another reason I'm not liking parrying is because it limits the game.

Compare to Ultra SFIV and Super SFII Turbo and it's night and day. The zoning and footsies game applied in other games isn't as applicable because of parrying. Put a character like Dhalsim into Third Strike and they'll have a hell of a time. I like fightball wars and zoning but a lot of it is made impossible or just really tedious to do because of the existence of parrying. A character like Ryu is almost forced to get in close due to the existence of parrying. Most fights in SF3 are up close and there's severe lack of variety in the fight types.

It just isn't as fun as Super Turbo or Ultra. It isn't even in the same league for me. II and IV are the better games to me.

Great game though.

While you are talking about ST...
Here is the classic damdai O.T.hawk shenanigan explanation vid.

jump is more fun when it isnt one simple action. Having multiple ground and air options is far more engaging

Different strokes. I would want none of that in SF. ASW games exist for this kind of fighting game.

Anne

Actually there's a lot more to parrying that carries risk, mostly that you commit to not blocking a certain way or blocking at all during certain time frames, plus there are ways to actually blow up a successful parry, like target combos and special/super cancels that disrupt the timing of a punish or additional parry.

There's a very real RPS there, it's just different.

Jumping situations like that exist in every SF btw, in SF4 for example air moves that alter trajectory and hitbox/hurtbox interactions are real. At varying spacings that becomes a huge deal so you sometimes see people block these weird jump ins even if they weren't committed to something else. Zangief j.HP in SF4 is a pretty good example of hitbox/hurtbox.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Actually there's a lot more to parrying that carries risk, mostly that you commit to not blocking a certain way or blocking at all during certain time frames, plus there are ways to actually blow up a successful parry, like target combos and special/super cancels that disrupt the timing of a punish or additional parry.

There's a very real RPS there, it's just different.

Yup, parry isn't some magical free unstoppable force

This is some stuff I remember

-He thought Nemo was the MVP of the upper league
-I think in some context he looked down upon Nemo and Taito Station, I think maybe due to not thinking solely playing there will be good enough, but he was wrong. He apologized to Nemo and Taito Station
-He and Bonchan practiced the Ken matchup. I think Daigo spent 90% of his time practicin the matchup compared to the other ones in Topanga League. They didn't feel it was enough by themselves so they sought out Kichijojiken. They practiced with Kichiken roughly every day.
-Daigo said he rooted for Momochi more than Choco during his match vs Nemo.
-Sounded like because of this practice they were sure Momochi would lose to Daigo, which again reminds me of the time Tokido was sure Infiltration would lose once Daigo mastered the akuma matchup at the time.
-I think he didn't spent much time practicing the Yun matchup. He thought his playstyle might be able to carry him, but he said that turned out a big failure.
-He was very happy at how the upper league was filled with those players to bring the highest level of play. The difficulty is what made him happy more so than the victory.

-I think he said after the Xrd experience, that he would be willing to play another main title with history if he only has to practice one character matchup. Tekken was mentioned.

I was cracking up during the meditation.

You gotta have some more details fam

Anne

For the record, I'm pretty sure Remy isn't low tier just because parry exists. He's a low output, not threatening character that has weak tools on his own in a game where shit like Chun/Yun/Ken/etc exist. He has interactions designed around parry, he's just not good anyways.

Gotta adjust that viewpoint on toolsets when jumping between games. Zoning works in a lot of different ways, I play an aggressive zoner in UNI because that game basically requires aggression. It doesn't look like how you'd think of traditional zoning, but I promise you that's what a lot of it is. It's just adjusted for the game it's in.

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
I've always wondered what people meant when they say Tekken is not a "true" 3d fighter. Like is there some actual merit behind it or is it just a way to slander Tekken?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom