• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |eSports| 4444 Life

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
There is more of a chance of Beef becoming owner of GAF and marrying Scarlet J than Daigo actually coming up with that.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Anything would be better than fat drunk Daigo, it's painful watching his tournament performance in SFV.

Daigo does not care what you or I or anyone else thinks.

bKUZxEO.jpg

Kalamari

Daigo's girlfriend is probably making him fat. She probably cooks him a lot of fatty food and brings him lots of beer so other girls won't steal him away from her.

mbpm1

Daigo's girlfriend is probably making him fat. She probably cooks him a lot of fatty food and brings him lots of beer so other girls won't steal him away from her.

I forgot he has a gf now or something

daigo going infiltration route? feelsbadman

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
A certain someone said you were saying Scarlet's name in your sleep.

I am so going to pig out in like five hours.

Kbrad using Karin now? I guess if you can't beat em join em.

NEO0MJ

Is it wrong of me to think of people who defend Blizzard's lootbox system as corporate apologists? Don't think I've seen anyone defend a company that bad in fighting games.

Kumubou

Is it wrong of me to think of people who defend Blizzard's lootbox system as corporate apologists? Don't think I've seen anyone defend a company that bad in fighting games.
Nor has there been a company as successful in fighting games in the last 20 years as Blizzard has been with anything.

I can see how it ends up being defended, especially by people who don't end up paying anything into the game to begin with. Whatever random crap they end up with is more than what they would have gotten from a traditional DLC system for no money, and it's also far more profitable for the developers to remove the ceiling on income for a given player.

The whole system is slimy, but it's effective.

Dahbomb

Lootboxes are whatever when they are just cosmetics and you can also get said cosmetics from currency that you can grind.

When they lock away game play elements (like in HotS) behind Lootboxes, that's when it's actually bad.

Not like FGs are immune to lootboxes too... Injustice 2 has them in spades as well.

There is also the extra sliminess of certain items only attainable through lootboxes for a set number of time like Overwatch is doing it which is what is causing the recent flak (and Blizzard said they might be changing it).

I would rather not have lootboxes in general but it's a hella addicting way to make people keep playing the game... almost exploitative. You are always so close to that next lootbox, you play a couple of games for the lootbox... you don't get shit so you try to spin that RNG loot wheel once again with a couple of matches.

You don't gotta tell me twice about accusing people of corporate apologists or PR lip service non sense.

I can see how it ends up being defended, especially by people who don't end up paying anything into the game to begin with. Whatever random crap they end up with is more than what they would have gotten from a traditional DLC system for no money, and it's also far more profitable for the developers to remove the ceiling on income for a given player.

The whole system is slimy, but it's effective.
That's pretty much how I see it too. Like because of the lootbox I got some random Legendary Hanzo skin in Overwatch that I never would've paid money to get. Or in HOTS I got a sweet Maiev Shadowsong skin for Tyrande that again I would never have put money into.

DRE Fei

The loot box gear stuff in injustice 2 is interesting because they took an mmo approach to it where you can re-roll the stats if you want or change the appearance. They also have new multiverse events every day which gives out epic gear for different characters, so I don't find this particular slot machine system that slimy. Also you can just have your AI character do the multiverse missions for you so it's pretty easy to get any character to level 20 which is max level.

The good thing is the gear bonus stats are turned off by default in ranked and nrs had the foresight to include a tournament mode for offline.

shaowebb

I actually miss this type of thing in FG sometime lol. Maybe I am just being nostalgic.

Yeah, no thanks. I got Street Fighter 2 Rainbow Edition on my arcade for that kind of busted SF2 shenanigans. At least in that one everyone is equally broken though not just 2 dudes and the rest are screwed.

Fun fact. They say that hacked arcade cabinet gaining prominence was one of the the main things that urged Capcom to produce SF2 turbo hyper fighting update.

shaowebb

Looks like MANE 6 just distributed all the backerkit beta download keys for Thems Fighting Herds recently. Should see soon what those folks have been up to.

NEO0MJ

Looks like MANE 6 just distributed all the backerkit beta download keys for Thems Fighting Herds recently. Should see soon what those folks have been up to.

You won't, or at least I don't think so. Backers were expected to accept an NDA that they won't share any information or media until Mane 6 gives the greenlight to do so.

Numb

Ucchedavāda;238265901 said:
Yeah. The beta is pretty early, including having stand-in artwork for some character animations, but I'm not sure that keeping it under wraps is doing them any favors.
Game is a month away I heard
This could have been free publicity especially in this time whrn there is so many

Game is a month away I heard
This could have been free publicity especially in this time whrn there is so many

I don't think the game is a month away. The beta release post (here) describes the beta as lasting "Until we've achieved a stable enough release". Maybe a month away from an early access release, but I don't recall if that has been mentioned.

CO_Andy

Yeah, no thanks. I got Street Fighter 2 Rainbow Edition on my arcade for that kind of busted SF2 shenanigans.
Outside of the dark shotos, USF2 does appear to be the most balanced version of SF2 yet. Whether that balance equates to fun (like the removal of throw loops and Vega's ability to pick up his claw) is another story.

The netcode is also really, really smooth from the few streams i've watched; this is the best to come out of Capcom yet in i haven't seen lag or rollback yet. Whatever 2D fighter Capcom decides to rerelease next it's nice to know they have a really solid foundation to build on.

Pompadour

Outside of the dark shotos, USF2 does appear to be the most balanced version of SF2 yet. Whether that balance equates to fun (like the removal of throw loops and Vega's ability to pick up his claw) is another story.

The netcode is also really, really smooth from the few streams i've watched; this is the best to come out of Capcom yet in i haven't seen lag or rollback yet. Whatever 2D fighter Capcom decides to rerelease next it's nice to know they have a really solid foundation to build on.

Are they Kagemusha or GGPO? They used GGPO for all their other 2D ports.

NEO0MJ

They said they plan to only keep the NDA for a few days, but are covering their backs if they feel they need to extend it for some reason.

Ucchedavāda;238267164 said:
I don't think the game is a month away. The beta release post (here) describes the beta as lasting "Until we've achieved a stable enough release". Maybe a month away from an early access release, but I don't recall if that has been mentioned.

I think they mentioned that they plan on releasing it within a month from the beta, but if they find some major problem they'll delay it.

Shouta

Lootboxes are whatever when they are just cosmetics and you can also get said cosmetics from currency that you can grind.

When they lock away game play elements (like in HotS) behind Lootboxes, that's when it's actually bad.

Not like FGs are immune to lootboxes too... Injustice 2 has them in spades as well.

There is also the extra sliminess of certain items only attainable through lootboxes for a set number of time like Overwatch is doing it which is what is causing the recent flak (and Blizzard said they might be changing it).

I would rather not have lootboxes in general but it's a hella addicting way to make people keep playing the game... almost exploitative. You are always so close to that next lootbox, you play a couple of games for the lootbox... you don't get shit so you try to spin that RNG loot wheel once again with a couple of matches.

You don't gotta tell me twice about accusing people of corporate apologists or PR lip service non sense.

That's pretty much how I see it too. Like because of the lootbox I got some random Legendary Hanzo skin in Overwatch that I never would've paid money to get. Or in HOTS I got a sweet Maiev Shadowsong skin for Tyrande that again I would never have put money into.

HOTS doesn't lock gameplay behind lootboxes. You can get characters for free through them but you can buy them with currency (gold in this case) you earn from grinding or just outright buy the character with money.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I'd say VF3 is the one game that is so far ahead of everything in terms of visuals for it's time. We probably won't get another fighter or even game like that ever again.

I have a lot more respect for NRS now that they are doing stuff more with the community. Taking pages from Capcom and running their own version of CPT.

Numb

Ucchedavāda;238267164 said:

They said they plan to only keep the NDA for a few days, but are covering their backs if they feel they need to extend it for some reason.

I think they mentioned that they plan on releasing it within a month from the beta, but if they find some major problem they'll delay it.

Good shit
I need to see the legs of this game

Ah, you're right.
I had overlooked that part of the news post, but that makes a lot of sense.

That seems like a quick turnaround, but on the other hand I don't see any issue with letting the general public in on the action.

shaowebb

Lol. Surfing through pandoras box 4s titles and right at the end was "Martial Masters". Played me some of that shit. For those that dont remember it, this is that game with the absolutely bizarrely animated idle stances.

FPufODt.gif
ugmhhRR.gif
9ACad1Y.gif
YHqvmDK.gif
EFJe0Bw.gif

Game is fun and bizarre like many of the weird things I'm discovering in my library.

Seems like a 4 button fighter. Got my stuff setup for the capcom 6 button layout now. Xmen Children of the Atom Sentinel feels amazing compared to any of his later variations. That body splash and buzzsaw kick. Too good.

Top Bottom