• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |eSports| 4444 Life

Armaly

I'll never forget walking out from the stadium after SFV and my bdddy saying to meet him at Caesars that night. Claimed it was only a 10 minute walk(he was drunk). 45 minutes later I arrived. Make sure to hit up Bacchanal buffet. 10/10

Wallach

Oh, that's what you meant. EVO this year is being held in the Mandalay Bay Convention center, so if you want to be as close as possible, yeah, stay in the Mandalay Bay. If you want to save some bucks, stay at the Luxor, and you can take a free shuttle that connects Excalibur, Luxor and the Mandalay Bay. If you really want to save money, stay at Excalibur, but it's easily the cheapest and worst option in terms of convenience of the three.

But if you want to do anything on the Las Vegas Strip, you'll either have to be willing to walk, take a taxi or uber to get anywhere, because the Mandalay Bay is where the strip starts.

Ah I gotcha. Yeah I'm mostly concerned about proximity to the center so I'll see about getting a room at the Bay then. I don't know if I'll hit the strip more than once during my stay there so I can grab a taxi for that if need be.

notworksafe

Ah I gotcha. Yeah I'm mostly concerned about proximity to the center so I'll see about getting a room at the Bay then. I don't know if I'll hit the strip more than once during my stay there so I can grab a taxi for that if need be.

you'll change your mind. evo is the least interesting part of vegas and it's only become blander over the years.

shaowebb

It's not a glitch

Ick. Can't say I'm down with that one, but I guess making clashes more valuable must've been the mindset behind that call. Still...ick. Doesn't make sense that supers and transitions cause you to lose trait too. I can kinda see it for the clashes since they are meant to interrupt as their entire premise but the others were meant as offensive options. Why would an offensive tactic cost you weapons?

notworksafe

the more i've played i2 the more i'm sorta seeing the point of clashes. it's useful in the instances when you end a round in the corner, because you can easily get caught up in some corner bullshit and you could lose the round right away without a way to get back a little health.

it's an interesting idea but in some ways i'd like the game to be designed in a way where clash wasn't needed. injustice 2 is a neat game but i already know it's not going to get a fair shake from me cause tekken is out on friday and i'd much rather play that.

shaowebb

Oh dont get me wrong I still love Injustice 2. Just feels like the trait dump from cinematics is an unnecessary punishment to the player to me is all. Clashes have their uses...a return to neutral, a moment break, a way to bait folks into blowing resources, potential heal. There's plenty of reasons to use them and the mindset of when to use them also varies in matchups. For example if you tried to clash Bane for screen position it'd make sense. If you tried to clash Firestorm for screen position it wouldn't work out well due to his zoning and mobility options. Clashes get used differently depending on what you're up against so they have a range of situational usage to compensate. Versus a zoner I'd try to use them to heal or force the zoner im up against to blow a lot of their meter to mitigate that heal. Either works in my favor, but at a risk given I'd lose screen position. Its a case of how bad did I need health over damage options.

Any who thats just my take on things. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes and I know NRS is very much its own thing. Gotta say though that I hope more folks follow suit in the single player mindset though. Makes cash and these multiverse events and gear collecting things have me hooked. Finally got a lvl 20 Green Arrow. Next up is lvl 20 Bane.

notworksafe

yeah i'm enjoying what i'm playing of i2, even though it's definitely not my normal cup of tea. helps that it has a big push of people playing locally and that supergirl is the kind of character i like and also really good too lol

NEO0MJ

So watching KI, Injustice 2, and Vampire Savior is succession got me wondering how you decide on and balance a game where health doesn't reset between rounds. Doesn't it make the loser face too much of an uphill battle?

So watching KI, Injustice 2, and Vampire Savior is succession got me wondering how you decide on and balance a game where health doesn't reset between rounds. Doesn't it make the loser face too much of an uphill battle?

Well I only really put time into VSav but it works for that game because it is really momentum heavy and damage is really high (chain combos are available for everyone and they are enough to kill in a few touches, so you don't necessarily need high execution at a low level to do damage). You aren't out until you are actually dead. White health recovery is pretty fast too, and it can last you a while if you try to play defensive. Just look at the matches going on, when they want to get that white health back, you see how the defending player is defensive and both players are trying to play a poke game. Game in general goes by fast, since things like pushblock and the fact that they get up rather fast off getting knocked down means that both players are usually "in the game" and active. Of course there are setups which you can find yourself in and know you are fucked, like Rikuo and his bubble trap.

.la1n

KI and Vampire Savior have never bothered me from personal experience. I haven't found myself at a distinct disadvantage due to round transition except in a few circumstances.

NEO0MJ

Well I only really put time into VSav but it works for that game because it is really momentum heavy and damage is really high (chain combos are available for everyone and they are enough to kill in a few touches, so you don't necessarily need high execution at a low level to do damage). You aren't out until you are actually dead. White health recovery is pretty fast too, and it can last you a while if you try to play defensive. Just look at the matches going on, when they want to get that white health back, you see how the defending player is defensive and both players are trying to play a poke game. Game in general goes by fast, since things like pushblock and the fact that they get up rather fast off getting knocked down means that both players are usually "in the game" and active. Of course there are setups which you can find yourself in and know you are fucked, like Rikuo and his bubble trap.

Yeah, all are super aggressive, meter options and comeback mechanics, and chances to do big damage (though to a lesser degree in IJ) but I feel the same can be said about BB and that's a regular round system.

KI and Vampire Savior have never bothered me from personal experience. I haven't found myself at a distinct disadvantage due to round transition except in a few circumstances.

It's just so frustrating when playing or even watching a match to see someone do a turnaround but the health difference is so large.

Yeah, all are super aggressive, meter options and comeback mechanics, and chances to do big damage (though to a lesser degree in IJ) but I feel the same can be said about BB and that's a regular round system.

It's just so frustrating when playing or even watching a match to see someone do a turnaround but the health difference is so large.

BB is pretty batshit insane tbh (one reason I like it is because how crazy how some character mechanics are). Like if Arakune has OD still up, you might still be screwed because those bees man. I think if BB was a 2 life bar system, the biggest thing to keep in mind is getting back OD, since that is so important. They either would have to make it come back faster somehow, or else a player might not see it back after using it the first time, with how fast things can be.

It might seem frustrating but keep in mind when playing it that it is designed to so players are "always in" and active. And when I say that is that as a player, if you have the never give up mentality, you can work your way back with solid play. One of the worst things to feel in a fighting game is to be down and out, even if you are a sound player. And with VSav, defensive mechanics are also very important, so it's not like everyone is coasting on one thing only.

NEO0MJ

It might seem frustrating but keep in mind when playing it that it is designed to so players are "always in" and active. And when I say that is that as a player, if you have the never give up mentality, you can work your way back with solid play. One of the worst things to feel in a fighting game is to be down and out, even if you are a sound player. And with VSav, defensive mechanics are also very important, so it's not like everyone is coasting on one thing only.

That's true. In say SF V if things are going bad during the first round I stop caring and focus mostly on getting meter hoping to start the next round stronger. However in KI I'm always trying to play my best because like you said you might make it back.

BadWolf

That's true. In say SF V if things are going bad during the first round I stop caring and focus mostly on getting meter hoping to start the next round stronger. However in KI I'm always trying to play my best because like you said you might make it back.

Tbh I think if KI players were given a choice to switch the game to normal style rounds they would do it without a second thought.

It definitely puts the loser at a substantial disadvantage.

.la1n

Tbh I think if KI players were given a choice to switch the game to normal style rounds they would do it without a second thought.

It definitely puts the loser at a substantial disadvantage.

I would be on board for that to be honest. Current format is fine but normal rounds are superior for set play and tournament I feel. Too many variables at play with maintaining positioning and life between rounds. Especially when you have characters in the game that have an easier time returning to neutral between rounds than others; just something else to have to balance around.

Dahbomb

Ok Red Hood definitely has swag.

8OP0vhu.gif

It's a second golden age of fighting games, and we're stuck in Community.
Any recent fgs aside from sfv struggled badly and lost 60-70% of their buyer base?

Injustice is selling tremendously for sure
Smash always sell tons
Kof I think did well
It's up to tekken 7 to not​ join the sfv team

MrCarter

Any recent fgs aside from sfv struggled badly and lost 60-70% of their buyer base?

Injustice is selling tremendously for sure
Smash always sell tons
Kof I think did well
It's up to tekken 7 to not​ join the sfv team

I don't think SFV sold THAT poorly. It's currently at 1.6 million which is very good (especially considering it's only on 2 platforms) for such a niche genre. KOF or GG is nowhere close to that unfortunately. Will be interesting to see how Injustice, Tekken and Marvel sales are soon.

I don't think SFV sold THAT poorly. It's currently at 1.6 million which is very good (especially considering it's only on 2 platforms) for such a niche genre. KOF or GG is nowhere close to that unfortunately. Will be interesting to see how Injustice, Tekken and Marvel sales are soon.
Yeah for kof I mean considering the IP it's selling well. I am sure no one expects 5 mil sold for kof in this day and age. Heck even in the 90s and early 2000s when kof was big no one expected mk or sf number.

Yeah for kof I mean considering the IP it's selling well. I am sure no one expects 5 mil sold for kof in this day and age. Heck even in the 90s and early 2000s when kof was big no one expected mk or sf number.

I wonder how rich SNK would be if their carts weren't so easy to bootleg back in the day. It probably would hurt their exposure in that time period if it was more difficult to crack but I wonder if their profits would have basically expanded them more opportunities.

Pompadour

I wonder how rich SNK would be if their carts weren't so easy to bootleg back in the day. It probably would hurt their exposure in that time period if it was more difficult to crack but I wonder if their profits would have basically expanded them more opportunities.

I think KOF is super popular in places like South America specifically because they're easy to bootleg.

shaowebb

I think KOF is super popular in places like South America specifically because they're easy to bootleg.

Heh. Ever seen KOF 2002 Magic Plus? Or that one "Blue Edition" where K' had blue flames? Hell there is a KOF 99 bootleg called KOF 99 genesis and its got friggin Cyclops in it! Bootlegs and Rom Hack KOF and SF were apparently pretty big all over in cabinets coming out of china. I'm only now learning about these because that Pandoras Box 4s arcade thing I picked up apparently collected a ton of those in addition to the non hacked arcade titles since many of those hacks got popular.

Gotta admit...KOF 02 Magic Plus is pretty fucking fun in its bustedness. I can see why it'd be one folks would want at home if they had a cabinet of it at one time.

Pompadour

SFV is selling similar to what SSFV, USF4, SFxT did in the same time period. But compared to vanilla SF4 its sales are shit.

SFV is selling similar to what SSFV, USF4, SFxT did in the same time period. But compared to vanilla SF4 its sales are shit.
USF4 selling less was mostly hardcores only being interested in SF4 that late in the game (or the people that are like "Now i can get the complete package"). SFV for being a new entry should have sold a lot more.

games should do this rather than the opposite

also put in a Yatagarasu-style commentator in every game except he just shits all over you no matter what you do

FACE

Banned

In Vampire Savior you do more damage when you're down a bat.

It's a second golden age of fighting games, and we're stuck in Community.

Well, you have pizzacat shitposting on every fighting game related thread in the gaming section. I'd say we deserve it.

pizzacat

Banned
i want to try out killer instinct but dang windows store still giving me problems.
Do you have an ssd? If so the game is prolly trying to get installed there since windows store sucks
FACE said:
Well, you have pizzacat shitposting on every fighting game related thread in the gaming section. I'd say we deserve it.
You seem p angry about something, what's up buddy :)

Top Bottom