• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |eSports| 4444 Life

She is normally watching Sarah & Duck on the Wii U while I watch DBZ but she does glance up from time to time and seem interested, especially when a Saiyan goes beast form.
Last week I showed my son (21 months) the Monster Hunter World trailer...yeah, that's all he wanted to do for the next hour while he roared at the screen over and over. I've been taking steps to teach him some small game concepts because the Florida drive is 30 hours long, and he is NOT a fan of being in the car for more than 20 minutes at a time. The only solution I can think of is video games, since they neutralize one's wish to do anything other than sit and play video games.

But normally he is making DBZ references during MVC commentary, where does he go when he's actually commenting on DBZ characters?
"Goku going full on mag-fucking-neto on this guy - may his curleh mustache rest in peace".

shaowebb

Yipes on the mic for MvCI and DBFZ is gonna be so great

Just puts a smile on my face, for real.

"Ooooh! oooooh! Oh my GYAHD. Oh my GYAHD. "-IFC Yipes

I kid though. Yipes commentary is always fun and hype. Plus he knows his players and his games well. You get lots from him. If anything will stir a crowd up its him on the microphone. Can't wait for the actual Spirit Bombs in a fighter to happen.

EDIT: OH SHIT..!!! FUTURE TRUNKS JUST GOT ADDED TO DRAGONBALL FIGHTER Z! WE GOT SWORDS NOW ! Scans so no pics but 2 seconds online and he's viewable.

So far my top ideas are Cel + Frieza so I can use zoning with Cel's cold star assist beam. Either that or Gohan for the Uppercut assist to protect Frieza. After that...Trunks. I don't even care man. Its friggin Future Trunks. Dude is pretty much John Connor from The Terminator sent back in time and fighting with a sword vs machine peoples who destroyed his future. If Krillin gets added or Trunks has a good GTFO assist I may or may not swap Cel out of my Team. More I see Frieza the more interesting he seems to play than Cel who seems like a Lord Bison sorta dude. Good pokes, slide, some flash kick stuff and a beam super. Not bad, but that buff state Frieza and his use of Doom Rocks, orb, multishot that makes Cable erect, and command grabs make me just sooooo excited to abuse folks with him.
Damn this game is shaping up nicely. Future Trunks trailer please dont make me wait too long :D

Also, considering Future Trunks is in and neither Kid Trunks or Kid Goten are too distinguished on their own but are seen as more of a duo I hope this means that Kid Trunks and Kid Goten are selectable as one playable selection as a duo character like the Hisui/Kohaku duo from Melty Blood pulled off or puppet character sorta thing like Carl Clover. Make their super a buff state of Gotenks and there you go...all significant things those two ever had to them in one selectable slot for any team. Just have him use the donut moves to replace the additional screen trapping strats that the duo moveset would lose from its baseform when turned into Gotenks and you're all set.

shaowebb

Okay, I keep seeing this brought up by my South American and Mexico folk in some of my facebook arcade and shmup groups. Apparently the end all be all game that is in MOST of their arcades down there that everyone plays at from what they consensus agree is something called "KOF 2002 Magic Plus 2".

Its gotta be one of those hacked boards that flooded the market like the SF2 rainbow edition stuff and sure enough once I looked my multicade system has this thing on it too. But how is it different than the regular KOF 2002? Is it like the ultimate edition official thing and just has more cast or something? I never deep played 02 so I can't really tell offhand what is changed.

KOF-gaf help a brother out here so I can understand just what King of Fighters 2002 Magic Plus 2 is.

Okay, I keep seeing this brought up by my South American and Mexico folk in some of my facebook arcade and shmup groups. Apparently the end all be all game that is in MOST of their arcades down there that everyone plays at from what they consensus agree is something called "KOF 2002 Magic Plus 2".

Its gotta be one of those hacked boards that flooded the market like the SF2 rainbow edition stuff and sure enough once I looked my multicade system has this thing on it too. But how is it different than the regular KOF 2002? Is it like the ultimate edition official thing and just has more cast or something? I never deep played 02 so I can't really tell offhand what is changed.

KOF-gaf help a brother out here so I can understand just what King of Fighters 2002 Magic Plus 2 is.

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I hate that fucking hack because it's the only version casuals ever played

It's basically the same thing as the original but:
-Meter starts at 5 and instantly refills
-Pressing start makes your character tiny as fuck...but it doesn't change hitboxes iirc
-Easier inputs
-Most importantly, you can play Rugal

That's really it. The only reason it gets/got played was recovering meter and Rugal.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I hate that fucking hack because it's the only version casuals ever played

-Pressing start makes your character tiny as fuck...but it doesn't change hitboxes iirc
-Easier inputs

That's really it. The only reason it gets/got played was recovering meter and Rugal.

Sounds like a meme game

It's coming to PS4 and PSV. No idea of it will come to other platforms, though.

Cool! I meant a western release, though--unless that's already been confirmed.

I imported the first game, so I wouldn't mind if I had to do it again. I'd definitely prefer a localized version, though.

re: DBFZ, tournament success is open to debate but i think yall are underestimating how well it's going to do with the mainstream audience.

here's a fact i think is very relevant to this conversation: the latest Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm game outsold SF5. by a decent margin, too!

and DBZ is a waaaayyyy bigger deal than Naruto in the west. people forget how well-remembered it is among normies compared to basically every other anime - that's what we mean when we say it isn't "anime". hell, i go into the barber shop and people bring up DBZ when a "remember the 90s?" conversation happens.

i think the game could approach NRS sales numbers, and suspect a bunch of the same people who buy those games in droves will be in on this.

it's a question of translating that to the tournament scene, but i think the easy-mode facade will help a lot in that regard...

Skilletor

re: DBFZ, tournament success is open to debate but i think yall are underestimating how well it's going to do with the mainstream audience.

here's a fact i think is very relevant to this conversation: the latest Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm game outsold SF5. by a decent margin, too!

and DBZ is a waaaayyyy bigger deal than Naruto in the west. people forget how well-remembered it is among normies compared to basically every other anime - that's what we mean when we say it isn't "anime". hell, i go into the barber shop and people bring up DBZ when a "remember the 90s?" conversation happens.

i think the game could approach NRS sales numbers, and suspect a bunch of the same people who buy those games in droves will be in on this.

it's a question of translating that to the tournament scene, but i think the easy-mode facade will help a lot in that regard...

I don't think anybody questions how well it'll do with the casual audience.

Not sure what easy mode has to do with the tourney scene. Those droves of casuals buying fighting games don't give a shit about tournaments or even going online to fight.

notworksafe

less than a month til evo, who's gonna be the first to start a last minute donation drive to get them there like they forgot that the biggest open tournament in the world was happening next month?

spoilers:
it's me. my wedding cleaned me out so someone pay for my flight, thanks

less than a month til evo, who's gonna be the first to start a last minute donation drive to get them there like they forgot that the biggest open tournament in the world was happening next month?

spoilers:
it's me. my wedding cleaned me out so someone pay for my flight, thanks

What chronic condition do you have that calls to my nurturing and giving nature that will convince me to donate?

And constantly getting into shouting matches online with mofos in fgw doesnt count

I don't think anybody questions how well it'll do with the casual audience.

Not sure what easy mode has to do with the tourney scene. Those droves of casuals buying fighting games don't give a shit about tournaments or even going online to fight.

OK, fair criticism and i should've written some more to detail my point. So here goes:

NRS has actually done a good job bringing new blood into tournaments. i'm talking people who never played FGs before at all, people who came straight from Madden and COD. Their problem has been retention of more experienced players.

If anyone doesn't remember, MKX was drawing monster tournament numbers at launch, to the point that people legitimately thought it could compete with SF. That's because loads of Capcom players were entering it along with the regulars. The problem is that those Capcom players always end up dropping these games after a few months or so.

My point is that DBFZ will likely have that initial crossover appeal and also attract totally new players, but the "easy-mode" thing will help it do much better with retention. From what i've read and heard from people i know, NRS's aggressive early patching has been their main problem; it's been too damn hard to keep up with their games when you play other stuff competitively, to the point that it would become impossible to enjoy them as "side games". Arcsys has a much better history in that regard, so between that and the presumably simpler inputs/execution...i think it'll be a lot easier for Capcom & other players to continue having fun with DBZF as a side game after the novelty wears off. i don't think a lot of folks will switch to it as a main game, but i think people continuing to enter it for fun after a year is feasible.

Arcsys needs to make it worth continuing to invest time in the game as a top player. I forgot if the rant about publisher support for tourney BB/GG got posted in here but that's something that would make me draw a question mark

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Arcsys needs to make it worth continuing to invest time in the game as a top player. I forgot if the rant about publisher support for tourney BB/GG got posted in here but that's something that would make me draw a question mark

How much does that really have an effect outside of the toppest of top level players though?

Most people aren't under any illusion that they'll be winning real money either way.

BadWolf

How much does that really have an effect outside of the toppest of top level players though?

Most people aren't under any illusion that they'll be winning real money either way.

Tbh there should be consideration for setting up different leagues or something because currently the same few people are usually creaming everyone.

Take the T7 tournaments for example, JDCR and Saint seem to be steamrolling every tournament. Everyone else shows up and has very little chance of winning usually.

Make different leagues and even beginners will have some chance at winnings/glory, which will be a great incentive to try harder and get better. Instead of just attending a tournament and getting destroyed mostly.

I never knew Funkdoc posted on these boards. I still remember watching his Super Castlevania 4 run years ago. Team Spooky should stream another fighting game/speedrun event, last one I remember them doing that was a long while ago. One credit runs are also neat to watch and also would shut up the "speedrunning isn't playing properly" chumps that always pop up on gaf.

Kumubou

The question is more so how many people follow those top players. Only a very small number of players get paid in any real capacity, but you have a whole tier of players below that trying to catch up (for fun and for profit), and those guys are going to go where the top players (and money) is. I imagine that there is a cascading effect there of some kind.

I think the specific reference to that was frustration from some top Japanese GG/BB players being frustrated with their lack of ability to play full-time and feeling like SF5 was the only real opportunity for that.

notworksafe

What chronic condition do you have that calls to my nurturing and giving nature that will convince me to donate?

And constantly getting into shouting matches online with mofos in fgw doesnt count

beyond alcoholism? not too much. please no one give me money; i'll just use it to replace my tires since i gotta get that done tomorrow anyway.

shaowebb

-Easier inputs

Thanks for breaking it down for me. Guys on multiple groups from South America just kept bringing it up and since I have next to no arcade experience in my life growing up I had no idea what this was about because in North America it sounds pretty rare even if you did hit those places up as a kid.

Rugal and easy inputs could've caught on honestly. KOF 2002 Unlimited is still the king version in my book though. My favorites in order are still:
  • KOF 11
  • KOF 14
  • KOF 13
  • KOF 2002 Unlimited

Its KOF so usually roster is the biggest thing for me since they're all solid but man the system in 13 is fun as hell and 14 is super good too. I still think best overall rosters are in 11 and 02 Unlimited though.

CurlyW

I read this post in Josh the Funkdoc's voice

Yeah. :(

My wife hates Colorado and has been pushing for a move for 3 years now. It's not a change I am happy about.

At least you'll be able to breathe better in Florida, I guess?

I finally watched the Dr. Strange movie last night - I enjoyed it. I think the only disappointing aspect for me was Dormammu's voice. It felt pretty generic. Since MvCi is changing a lot of voice actors, I am worried we won't get UMvC3 Dormammu's voice.

It had your typical issues that arise when heroes and villains with nuclear capabilities are fighting (if you can alter reality, why are you just moving the ground and walls around or punching the ground to make a little wave that throws someone off their balance?), but I thought it did a good job introducing a new Marvel character to the general public. Post-credit scene was probably the peak of the film along with anything the Cloak of Levitation did.

At least you'll be able to breathe better in Florida, I guess?
Oh no, Colorado air is fantastic. I was up in the Rocky Mountains last week and it felt incredible. Though once we got up to the tip of some of the mountains I had to inhale oxygen to keep my head straight.

Humid air...the last time I went to Michigan I legitimately felt like I was drowning because there was so much water. It just feels awful.

Rugal and easy inputs could've caught on honestly.

It's broken as fuck boss version Rugal, you really don't want that outside of messing around with the game. The inputs themselves didn't change (at least not in that specific version), they were just more lenient iirc but I could be misremembering or mixing up hacks.

Honestly, this hack catching up here was a bad thing imo. Sure it got little kids playing but that never translated into playing proper KoF eventually, they just wanted to spam supers and abuse Rugal. Oh and for the actually decent players imagine if in XIII players immediately fully recovered drive and always had max meter. Not too fun.

Top Bottom