• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |eSports| 4444 Life

Examu should be doing their AMA later today.

Their kickstarter is at $213,007 now with about 4 and half days left.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/99831120/arcana-heart-3-love-max-six-stars-2d-fighting-game/

47K until the Shark girl character:

I4cHoYf.jpg

where's Lava Boy

Anne

So now that I've actually played Fantasy Strike, I can say in it's current state it has a lot of problems. The Yomi Counter thing in particular should probably go back to the drawing board, because fuzzy defense and layering it into offense option select style is kinda fucked up. The free left/right stuff is pretty silly too. You can get stuff that is more ambiguous than SF4 cross ups. I'm sure it's unintentional, but I got to do ToD with single resets using a couple diff characters off cross ups that actually didn't cross up so ????. I also got put into a situation against Jaina where she already has pretty hard to deal with neutral since she has Akuma air fireball type stuff. She put me in a situation where I got unblockabled and lost 4 ticks of health off it. The only way out was to jump and eat damage still from air fireballs :T Also one button reversal supers mean people get a super bar and just stand there waiting to react.

I did have fun with the fact I got so much broken shit within 10 minutes of playing. Yomi Counter itself is hysterical to use when it's not being kinda problematic. But boy is there some wild shit in there. Feels a lot like HDRemix except you just get to do that stuff out the gate without going through ST hoops. I feel like this is a case where he's handing the nuclear launch codes of fightign games to infants. People are going to get ToD looped off oki and resets by the one friend who figured i tout and quit. That or they'll be the ones to figure it out but not learn much more past the RPS.

Also, it just feels like fucking garbage to play. It feels like a worse version of NRS just walking around in it. Some of that might be the netcode, but it felt pretty gross. Figuring out how moves combo or how good they are on block off feel alone is basically impossible. That needs to be fixed.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Wrong post stoopid.

First Smash is categorized as a fighter now splatoon is categorized as a shooter, these people.

Anne

I do want to add there are things about Fantasy Strike I like. I don't think it's completely awful. but the typical Sirlin syndrome is in there full force. Yomi Counter is a fun idea that is kinda ruined by the fact it is very powerful when used in typical fighting game OS fashion. That and the general character tools being so insane on basic levels is typical Sirlin. He seems to consistently underestimate the power and extended implications of the tools he is giving players.

shaowebb

Is there an animation that isn't stolen in that game?

Kind of why I'm turned off by it. It even has the ninja dude using Hanzo's human shuriken thing from World Heroes. Its really off putting to see so much wholesale lifted and put in that game. Just develop your own animations for stuff.

Cool story about ET, the Taiwanese player who won KOF14 at EVO. I never gave it much thought but it is cool that EVO let's Taiwan represent their flag, since other places will do something like province of China. He also pretended to work for half a year (like literally leave house at 8 and find somewhere to sit so he comes back home later), which is pretty crazy, but I hope things are stable for him and continue to be that way.

https://twitter.com/dreamcancelsnk/status/891048769101471744

Zissou

I do want to add there are things about Fantasy Strike I like. I don't think it's completely awful. but the typical Sirlin syndrome is in there full force. Yomi Counter is a fun idea that is kinda ruined by the fact it is very powerful when used in typical fighting game OS fashion. That and the general character tools being so insane on basic levels is typical Sirlin. He seems to consistently underestimate the power and extended implications of the tools he is giving players.

Can you elaborate on the insane tools?

shaowebb

Damn, they now have 3x Fantasy Strike's total. Curious to know how that makes SIrlin feels.

Like he needs to have more originality in character attacks and something besides just easy inputs to get attention? Its kind of hard to get noticed. You gotta stand for something and its just hard to get what Fantasy Strike stands for with its trailers. It just doesn't communicate much to the player about their being any sort of unique experience there when all it looks like is that its made from things you experienced in other characters already in other games. It needs characters that do more unique things that can only be found in that game.

Like he needs to have more originality in character attacks and something besides just easy inputs to get attention? Its kind of hard to get noticed. You gotta stand for something and its just hard to get what Fantasy Strike stands for with its trailers. It just doesn't communicate much to the player about their being any sort of unique experience there when all it looks like is that its made from things you experienced in other characters already in other games. It needs characters that do more unique things that can only be found in that game.

Yeah, I'm not seeing what it does that's interesting. It seems like it has the simple controls thing going on and that's it.

Belker

I'm confused why Sirlin went with Fig. There have got to be compelling reasons, but I had never heard of it. What's more, since people who back on Kickstarter seem to back multiple products, their details would have been on it already. Wouldn't it have made it easier to impluse-support the game?

Impulse support. Make it so.

NEO0MJ

I'm confused why Sirlin went with Fig. There have got to be compelling reasons, but I had never heard of it. What's more, since people who back on Kickstarter seem to back multiple products, their details would have been on it already. Wouldn't it have made it easier to impluse-support the game?

Impulse support. Make it so.

They probably promised him lower fees and more exposure on their platform. It's why Lab Zero went with Indiegogo for their crowd funded projects.

Zissou

I kinda did in the earlier post.

Somehow I missed your earlier post. I think it's intentional that getting a knockdown = round over (at least I'd hope so?), and that's in part why health is low and each game is best of seven. Also, I don't find that one button invincible stuff is too big a problem given how slow most of them start-up and other random drawbacks they were given. The yomi counter OS stuff is interesting.

CO_Andy

No you're fine. FFVi is incredibly mediocre & generic. You have to remember in America all they had before it really was FF1 & FF4. So at the time to most Americans it seemed amazing when in fact it was just average for it's day.
Definitive proof here that ZTS is Beef's alt account!

Belker

They probably promised him lower fees and more exposure on their platform. It's why Lab Zero went with Indiegogo for their crowd funded projects.

No doubt. I just wonder if it's affected supporter levels.

Anyway, I tried to play earlier on the Mac but I couldn't get used to using a keyboard. I hope a demo will make its way to console.

Anne

Somehow I missed your earlier post. I think it's intentional that getting a knockdown = round over (at least I'd hope so?), and that's in part why health is low and each game is best of seven. Also, I don't find that one button invincible stuff is too big a problem given how slow most of them start-up and other random drawbacks they were given. The yomi counter OS stuff is interesting.

I don't think you get what I mean by KD game. We're hitting front and having CROSS UP in big bold letters pop up on the screen, and vice versa. Combined with some of the intentional mix up game, which IMO is already a bit silly, means some shit is going to be straight up unblockable. Some of the intentional mix up left in already turns into straight left/right a bit too much (the Ibuki clone is an abomination), and the fact it just remakes SF4 on top of it is a bit much.

For a game that was all about "getting straight to the mind games" there sure is a lot of crazy vortex that people just keep doing rather than footsies and RPS style mix up. I think it's fine and better to have some real forced mix up somewhere, but it feels all kinds of whack. IMO the terrible walkspeeds, hitboxes, and AAs in general make it way more appealing to just go nuts. DeGrey and Jaina both have good AAs and ridiculously strong projectiles, which means they can play more like that. Others don't though. Feels like some weird ass extremes are going on.

Also, on reversals, that's kind of my point. A lot of the general reversals in the game are pretty ass and no good against the mix up we have. They are just too slow. Then suddenly there are reversal supers that have really fast start up in comparison that are hard to deal with. A lot of stuff in the game is pretty telegraphed (even if you can't tell what side it'll hit on, you know a move is happening), so you just mash Super button on reaction. We didn't find enough options to deal with that, and it turns the game down to just "well how well can they react?" rather than "Did they read me?".

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I'm talking about the Scarlet one.

Starcraft isn't what it use to be. Stream numbers are horrible. FGC has surpassed it at this point. But it still remains the most esports game with the craziest presentation and such.

I'm talking about the Scarlet one.

Starcraft isn't what it use to be. Stream numbers are horrible. FGC has surpassed it at this point. But it still remains the most esports game with the craziest presentation and such.

Yes, Scarlet one not that bad. Not great, but not bad.

Village

It's not that bad.

Its bad,

And if you like the source material, its much much worse. Shit is disrespectful, not to mention the bunches of plot holes and misunderstanding of tone that make it a shit film.

The fuck did you turn GITS in to fucking robo cop, a shitty robo cop

Its bad,

And if you like the source material, its much much worse. Shit is disrespectful, not to mention the bunches of plot holes and misunderstanding of tone that make it a shit film.

The fuck did you turn GITS in to fucking robo cop, a shitty robo cop

I like Robocop too.

Village

I like Robocop too.

Robo cop the orginal movie is a fine film and despite its merchandising afterward, is film that influenced its genre and other's around it by the quality of the film. Robo cop is great, but it understands its tone and makes commentary of society as a whole.

Ghost in the shell while very much making commentary on Japanese society, especially Stand alone complex and 2ngig ( the subsequent anime series) , but a lot of is about existentialism and what is a person in a society where your human form doesn't matter, and the problems that come with that society in a future like that.

Its more about her having the robot body and her being super, rather what that means for society going forward to have people like this , what the thought process is is for a person like that. That the body you were born in doesn't actually matter. So not only does the film fail to understand or care to understand the intent of the original work. The film fails to understand the intent of the work it turned GITS into, robo cop because it has none of the fucking nuance that robocop had, its just a shitty robo cop.

Robo cop the orginal movie is a fine film and despite its merchandising afterward, is film that influenced its genre and other's around it by the quality of the film. Robo cop is great, but it understands its tone and makes commentary of society as a whole.

Ghost in the shell while very much making commentary on Japanese society, especially Stand alone complex and 2ngig ( the subsequent anime series) , but a lot of is about existentialism and what is a person in a society where your human form doesn't matter, and the problems that come with that society in a future like that.

Its more about her having the robot body and her being super, rather what that means for society going forward to have people like this , what the thought process is is for a person like that. That the body you were born in doesn't actually matter. So not only does the film fail to understand or care to understand the intent of the original work. The film fails to understand the intent of the work it turned GITS into, robo cop because it has none of the fucking nuance that robocop had, its just a shitty robo cop.

You know I'm messing with you right?

shaowebb

New Dolphin Ubershaders are amazing. Prebuilds a shader cache and either runs exclusively from that or in hybrid with your prebuilt cache. Exclusive takes high end to use but either mode pretty well eliminates almost all shader stuttering from an empty shader cache for me. I dumped my cache and fired up TVC and its amazing. Open GL works fine for me on AMD but D3D is by far the smoothest overall for all users. For me on the radeon 6800 and mid to low processor I tested on if you push above 4 AA and 4 Anisitropic filtering it added huge startup to dolphin for some reason...like several minutes. It'll run it seemless and gorgeous afterwards though. If I rock 4 and 4 though its perfect.

Yall need to play some TVC on Dolphin. This shit feels great and now it can run max settings for most folks pretty fucking easily.

Z

ZelbZelb

Unconfirmed Member
Some JoJo ASB:

Funny Valentine Combo/Set-Up exhibit and then a set VS Johnny Joestar.
http://www.mmcafe.com/nico.html#http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm31277552

Funny Valentine was considered to be in the bottom tier in this game by many throughout the game's life. However, as more tricks are discovered, he's proving that the tiers in this game are very close to each other. Overall he's meant to be played as a turtle, while collecting corpse parts to make the opponent antsy and make a mistake. Like the other Part 7 characters, collecting corpse parts will give buffs to Valentine. One part reduces the rate the guard gauge depletes, so he can block more. Two parts boosts his defense a bit. If he collects all three parts, he gets a super-buff called Love Train. Valentine is enveloped in a glowing light that grants him invincibility to all non-HHA/GHA projectiles so long as he isn't attacking. It also reduces ALL damage to him by 30% (it used to be 70%). On top of that, many of Valentines moves came out and recover faster, along with some moves gaining new properties (flag slam becomes an overhead). This leads players to believe that the whole point of Valentine is to collect the parts, or die trying. This is a very limited way of looking at him, however, as the psychology or 'yomi' of the opponent knowing you want the parts can give you openings to blow them up. On his own, Valentine still does pretty good damage, including a 70% 3 bar combo. He has some great pokes to harass the opponent and convert into combos, and some shenanigans involving his flag moves. He still has some not so great match-ups, mainly small characters that are too short to be hit by his gunshots. Other Part 7 characters can give him trouble as well, as not only can they hold onto corpse parts themselves to prevent Love Train, they too get big buffs from them.

I made a video a while back that goes over some other things with Valentine, if you're interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LN9J8MmwiU

Top Bottom