• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |eSports| 4444 Life

KOF is 70% off on PSN and i want to get it but there are another 50 fighting games coming out in the next month or so that i also need to ignore when Tekken drops
So tough
full

Which KOF? 14?

You can't have pushblock in a 1v1 game like this, lol.

He makes a valid point. If you could just push block in a game with not assists the neutral would be hella weird. Characters would engage and the be bounced full screen away. That would also favor zoners immensely. I could see push block being there as some sort of thing like alpha counters that requires meter but implemented like it was in Marvel's of old, no way.

shaowebb

Advancing Guard won't be in MvCi.

He makes a valid point. If you could just push block in a game with not assists the neutral would be hella weird. Characters would engage and the be bounced full screen away. That would also favor zoners immensely. I could see push block being there as some sort of thing like alpha counters that requires meter but implemented like it was in Marvel's of old, no way.

I dont really agree with Advancing Guard not being good for this game. Marvel has had some cast that have some LARGE attacks and some pretty substantial forward movement on their attacks as well. Its not like super footsie titles of the past. Normals in Marvel are sometimes as loud and flashy as specials. Without pushblock in Marvel I could see some rough stuff happening.

I agree though that I could see them sidestepping for alpha counters or some sort of tool that takes meter. Or possibly some feature with gems. Their needs to be a way to combat pressure defensively in Marvel IMO. Offense is just to aggressive with or without wavedashes and assists and you need a way to make space or you could get into some jailing situations. Just imagine someone like Zero cornering you without a pushblock or alpha counter....*shudder*

BadWolf

Was it a problem in Darkstalkers?

shaowebb

Was it a problem in Darkstalkers?

Darkstalkers was awesome. The amount of pushback was relative to the strength of the button used.

Darkstalkers proved a point though about pushblock. Whether or not a fighter needs it is relative to the amount of space attacks tend to take up, the amount of time attacks can linger on screen and the amount of forward movement possible from offense. Darkstalkers saw that it sure as hell wasn't punch kicking its way to combat like SF did and its attacks were very very loud and visual. Lots of lingering attacks, huge moves, and lots of forward progressing attacks. In a game like that you could get pinned down for a long spell easily by offense if you didn't have the means to make space. But it also saw that if you had a set pushblock distance you could just force yourself back into distance that favors some cast. This way you could control the distance you pushed folks so you could attempt to capitolize with the option that fit the space you made.

Darkstalkers pushblocking would be great for this game honestly.

Darkstalkers was awesome. The amount of pushback was relative to the strength of the button used.

Darkstalkers proved a point though about pushblock. Whether or not a fighter needs it is relative to the amount of space attacks tend to take up, the amount of time attacks can linger on screen and the amount of forward movement possible from offense. Darkstalkers saw that it sure as hell wasn't punch kicking its way to combat like SF did and its attacks were very very loud and visual. Lots of lingering attacks, huge moves, and lots of forward progressing attacks. In a game like that you could get pinned down for a long spell easily by offense if you didn't have the means to make space. But it also saw that if you had a set pushblock distance you could just force yourself back into distance that favors some cast. This way you could control the distance you pushed folks so you could attempt to capitolize with the option that fit the space you made.

Darkstalkers pushblocking would be great for this game honestly.

Except the pushblock in DS requires a bit of execution and we saw what capcom thinks about it.

shaowebb

Except the pushblock in DS requires a bit of execution and we saw what capcom thinks about it.
Yeah, the name of this game is definitely "Lower execution". I wouldn't be surprised if your defensive tools to reverse, counter, or pushblock were tied to your gem and meter honestly. They're gonna need something to handle the moveset in this series.

Spuck-uk

Banned
fix yours. DOA characters are far higher polygon and have higher resolution textures (and just straight up better skin textures). This has nothing to do with design either, just model quality

The above is literally untrue.

1449929124-tekken-7-fated-retribution.jpg

vs

doa5mila-6.jpg

I can literally count the polygons in her shoulders. Sorry about your terrible waifu simulator.

edit: Also the lighting in DoA is shit as well.

edit: Also the lighting in DoA is shit as well.
you are right about the lighting.

and @sixteen-bit for the 3rd time Im purely talking models. DOA5 is not a better looking game.

Tekken 7 poly count IS LOWER. I wish I had the screenshots of the wireframe models handy
Kazuma's ear here is bad. The chromatic aberration hides it in other places in the worst ways. (PC version with proper antialiasing will fix that). Theres also quite a bit of dithering on the alpha effect for the hair

Chloe's paw has low resolution textures and low polygon count with weird morphing.

They arent bad by any means. They just arent very impressive either. It is still the better looking game overall thanks to much better lighting, effects, and backgrounds. There is also more detail in most of the designs.

EDIT: DOA poly count is really high

Also does look like Namco upped the texture resolution for console release. Looks a lot better than when I played in the arcade

shaowebb

Somebody put up a vidme link to the removed mvci gameplay trailer. Stones look like they come out at the same time as your attack moves just like assists and have effects that last awhile. I think when one activated a beam fires then it locked someone in a cube to fight your pressure.
If stone activation is an attack then a long instance of something else then it's kind of like one assist per match to setup a single massive setup to use it's abilities.

If this is right this could be pretty cool.
One thing for certain is in... you can tag out to setup highlows or left right mixups because you can tag some one in on the ground while in the air. There are two character setups in this manner...Strider does this in the vid. This is a big step toward mitigating the assist loss issue for me.

Spuck-uk

Banned

No, I get your point, and you're still wrong even now you're walking back to just polygons.

That Helena model is ~20000 polygons, the same polycount as characters in Tekken SIX.

UE4 characters can happily be 150,000 polygons plus (Ryse being the first search result that comes to mind, a years older game than Tekken 7 with more characters on screen.)

So you're wrong.

Beckx

Hrm.

Tekken 7 is unavailable for pre-order on Amazon now. (The standard, not the collectors)

Also looking into the NJPW dlc, it seems like that was a limited time thing for the arcade? That makes me think we won't get to make it rain. :(

I never actually got to learn TVC but watching high level play, the assist part of the game did seem kind of bland compared to other VS games. It seemed like it was more for combo extension than neutral. They did throw some out in neutral, but it seemed like it was more of like a poke than the shenanigans that can be done in other games.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Hrm.

Tekken 7 is unavailable for pre-order on Amazon now. (The standard, not the collectors)

Also looking into the NJPW dlc, it seems like that was a limited time thing for the arcade? That makes me think we won't get to make it rain. :(

Harada was asked about it, and said he was working with NJPW to try and make it happen, so there's a chance.

I mean, free advertising for NJPWs fastest growing market seems like a good deal, right?

That feeling when you finish your MA last night and then wake up to find out your favorite game franchise isn't ruined.

giphy.gif

It's a good day God damn it.

Beckx

Harada was asked about it, and said he was working with NJPW to try and make it happen, so there's a chance.

I mean, free advertising for NJPWs fastest growing market seems like a good deal, right?

it does, and they seem to be doing all the right things to grow their US base.

Top Bottom