• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |eSports| 4444 Life

shaowebb

Someone leaked that the game doesn't have wave dashing anymore, it was on that Yipes best of v interview.

• Super jumps
  • launchers
  • assists
  • 3v3 format
  • wave dashing
  • various air mobility options distributed throughout cast (flight, double jump, air dash, 8 way air dash)
  • Team Hypers
  • Snapbacks
  • pushblocks
  • Air combos
  • plink dashing
  • OTGs

Theres more stuff that were pretty solid things that were either big in marvel or became a thing in marvel. How many have we lost so far?

Dahbomb

The game clearly still has most of those things.

We still have air combos, flight, OTGs, launchers.. probably super jumps and advancing guard as well.

But most of these things aren't interesting outside of flight and advancing guard. A lot of the things have to do with combos, Marvel could always have scaled back on that.

The interesting stuff is stuff like assists, 3v3, snap backs, crossover counters, DHCs/THCs etc. Stuff that is iconic to the series.

Leaked MvC:I box art

2786211c0bd7bdac3998b993ddd065bf.jpg

shaowebb

The game clearly still has most of those things.

We still have air combos, flight, OTGs, launchers.. probably super jumps and advancing guard as well.

But most of these things aren't interesting outside of flight and advancing guard. A lot of the things have to do with combos, Marvel could always have scaled back on that.

The interesting stuff is stuff like assists, 3v3, snap backs, crossover counters, DHCs/THCs etc. Stuff that is iconic to the series.

Agreed. I'm pretty amazed at how BAD a job capcom is doing at making this Marvel vs Capcom game actually have anything in it gameplay-wise to "feel" like a marvel vs capcom title in the sense that everyone identifies with.

In spite of this I got to admit...on its own merit a 2v2 tag fighter with sfxtekken tag combos and no wavedashing sounds pretty footsie and hype to me. I liked the combo rhythms in tag fighting and I loved the movement in TVC that relied more on air mobility and offense to get around.I hate the lack of assists more than anything. That singular change is the only one I find completely off base with the series. Cutting that one major aspect out of the series is most definitely taking steps back instead of branching out IMO. If assists was still in this game would be TVC2 and I'd be beyond pleased. However, as is...I'm not certain what to call it, but I know it shouldn't be called Marvel vs Capcom. It should've outright gotten a new branding. I guess they at least didn't call it Marvel vs Capcom 4 which is something.

shaowebb

So... notwithstanding how it compares to Marvel...

Is it sounding like a decent followup to TvC at least?

No. It would need assists and that is a MAJOR thing.

No wavedash, air combos, super jumps, pushblocking, 2v2, launchers...thats TVC alright. However, tag combos are SFxTekken. Given how big a thing assists were in TVC its closer to a hyper SFxTekken than a watered down TVC. To be a TVC successor it would have to have assists period. IF gems somehow simulate the ability to have an attack on screen at the same time as one of your own character's then yes it'd be a TVC successor at this point with the mobility lacking wavedashes.

.la1n

Sounds more like SFxT TBH.

My thoughts right now as well. I do want to try to avoid my usual down in the dumps attitude pre-release and wait to see more. To be honest I was one of the few that played SFxT longer than most because I enjoyed it. Having said that, I don't feel it fits what I look for when I buy a Capcom Marvel Vs title.

Numb

KOF is 70% off on PSN and i want to get it but there are another 50 fighting games coming out in the next month or so that i also need to ignore when Tekken drops
So tough
full

Beckx

KOF is 70% off on PSN and i want to get it but there are another 50 fighting games coming out in the next month or so that i also need to ignore when Tekken drops
So tough
full

We are actually in another mini golden age but everyone is too busy shitposting to notice.

Tripon

Man, Jebailey loses $20K, and all everyone wants to talk about is Marvel. He sure picked the right time to reveal that news.

Numb

We are actually in another mini golden age but everyone is too busy shitposting to notice.

SFV didn't blow up like 4 for people to notice
And new Mahvel even worse looking. Since they are the loudest people folks think the FGC isn't eating as hard

Best year for fighting games since 2012

kirblar

Yup. W/ MVC3 still playable on current gen, I get why they'd try to do something different, but this is feeling more and more like devolution. (And I'm normally one who's all for changes like the ones they made to SFV's controls.)

Dahbomb

Yup. W/ MVC3 still playable on current gen, I get why they'd try to do something different, but this is feeling more and more like devolution. (And I'm normally one who's all for changes like the ones they made to SFV's controls.)
If they wanted to try something different then they should be using different assets. Maybe even use a different IP for it.

Instead they are re-purposing the carcass of Marvel 3 and trying to get a cash grab from it.

You changed from Ling?
Not picking a character that's hated by mankind must be confusing for you

Yeah. While admittedly I might changed my mind when the game finally drops, Ling's gameplay is not looking like something I'd necessarily enjoy. Too heavy on the stance and turning your back to the enemy.

Claudio and Kazumi are looking really fun right now. Claudio looks straight out of JoJo's part 1/2 and I love that.

Kazumi summons tigers so naturally I'm gonna try her.

kirblar

If they wanted to try something different then they should be using different assets. Maybe even use a different IP for it.

Instead they are re-purposing the carcass of Marvel 3 and trying to get a cash grab from it.
I have a bunch of hyper-casual kids I can focus group some of these games with. They like SFV more than Injustice (normal-based >>> special-based when they're clueless about that stuff) and I'm curious what the reaction to the eventual MvC8 is.

Numb

Yeah. While admittedly I might changed my mind when the game finally drops, Ling's gameplay is not looking like something I'd necessarily enjoy. Too heavy on the stance and turning your back to the enemy.

Claudio and Kazumi are looking really fun right now. Claudio looks straight out of JoJo's part 1/2 and I love that.

Kazumi summons tigers so naturally I'm gonna try her.

If you are new it's best you stay away from her for the moment unless you 100% it

Kazumi is a great choice since she isn't too complicated,hs good pokes,movement and being new people will have to adjust to her giving you a slight edge for a minute.

lol Claudio is Quincy that does Jojo poses

1445619284-00f1942d75b67a56b48e06d177f5ced7.png

MechaX

No. It would need assists and that is a MAJOR thing.

No wavedash, air combos, super jumps, pushblocking, 2v2, launchers...thats TVC alright. However, tag combos are SFxTekken. Given how big a thing assists were in TVC its closer to a hyper SFxTekken than a watered down TVC. To be a TVC successor it would have to have assists period. IF gems somehow simulate the ability to have an attack on screen at the same time as one of your own character's then yes it'd be a TVC successor at this point with the mobility lacking wavedashes.

2XDvVfX.png

Dahbomb

I'm laughing at the SRK motion "controversy" when everybody and their mothers did the down forward X2 shortcut in SFIV.
The execution isn't the issue.

Hell you can probably still do the SRK move by just doing DP if the input leniency is there.

The issue with down down is that now you can't have reverse DP inputs anymore. That means you have to retool characters like Thor and Strider. A lot of characters in Marvel 3 have their teleports attached to reverse DPs too and they also have regular DP moves too.

That means moves will probably be cut but more importantly with this many down/down inputs in the game, that means that they might have to retool ground dashing too especially ground dashing with two buttons. Would be too easy to accidentally get a move when trying to wave dashes with two buttons and down. That's probably why some people are thinking that wave dashing is gone in Marvel Infinite.

pizzacat

Banned
huh didnt think about strider

cant the cut and teleport be a 180? or would that be recognized as the robot summons and the other cut?

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man

Hell you can probably still do the SRK move by just doing DP if the input leniency is there.

The issue with down down is that now you can't have reverse DP inputs anymore. That means you have to retool characters like Thor and Strider. A lot of characters in Marvel 3 have their teleports attached to reverse DPs too and they also have regular DP moves too.

That means moves will probably be cut but more importantly with this many down/down inputs in the game, that means that they might have to retool ground dashing too especially ground dashing with two buttons. Would be too easy to accidentally get a move when trying to wave dashes with two buttons and down. That's probably why some people are thinking that wave dashing is gone in Marvel Infinite.
See this is like an actual concern.

I don't think most of the people against this decision are doing so because of this.

Hyun Sai

Hmm, didn't know this, thanks for the input (no pun intended).

Top Bottom