• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |eSports| 4444 Life

shaowebb

SAgWPV9.jpg

"Hey Capcom...why aren't you acknowledging the things people like about Marvel vs Capcom the most as a series in this new game?"

To which old man Capcom mearly chuckles and does this...
0M9kqPK.gif

...Every. Time.

For real Combofiend? People have zero character loyalty or fan affinity apparently. All about the tools. Tools is only true to a point. As folks here have said about many games before, if it didn't have a character they got into they still wouldn't play them. Be it anime or non anime if they just didn't jive with "the dude with the tools" so much as "the dude behind the tools" then they never played as that dude regardless of if they had 8 way dashing or whatever.

Character appeal is huge and ignoring ones with fanbases in a licensed title is silly. Its one of the biggest selling points in any form of entertainment. I hate seeing folks overlook it in hoodie and short hair design number 900 or space marine number 9 million in games these days. No appeal. It really hurts to see folks ignore entire fandoms in a licensed game to say its all about the tools over the roster's faces as they pick B lister after B lister over top draw staples to comic/game fans. Theres a reason games have less iconic new faces cropping up in them these days if this "toolset is good enough" mindset is a sign of how things go in the developer room these days. You gotta have both tools and cool characters for folks to notice you. Looking cool and having cool gameplay need to go hand in hand. Marvel needs more cast with higher appeal than third stringer from "___" team filling the roster.

lol. My gif has the same exact smile as the new Dante model in MVCI too XD

ShinMaruku

He used a bad term that people running with. That said what made people think this marvel would allow the X-men in this game at the height of their powers?

I think there was a much better way of telling people without telling people.

It's not what you say...it's how you say it. Speaking to the public whether in business, law, or public office...it's exactly how you say it. You can drop bad news without it sounding like the company/person/department doesn't understand, get it, or care.

Unfortunately, very few people know how to speak to the public about things. Executives, politicians, Government officials, PR people. Most were never really taught how.

Combofiend could have made this go either way with the same message. Capcom needs to learn this.

At King of the Iron Fist, only 1 American even made top 16 so...

Tekken 7 being less technical doesn't mean shit. People can learn how to do all that stuff in NA. Us getting the game 2 years late in a culture that doesn't support high level play is all that really matters.

Sorry, I haven't been keeping up on recent games. What's less technical about it? I don't need a detailed explanation, just curious.

Anne

Sorry, I haven't been keeping up on recent games. What's less technical about it? I don't need a detailed explanation, just curious.

They simplified a bunch of things like:

-Less characters overall
-Trimmed movelists
-Extremely simple combo system (replaced bound with a new mechanic that's easier to see/get basically)
-Nerfed oki so it's easier to stand up safely

It's still Tekken, so there's the learning curve of just moving and recognizing moves, but this is the easiest it's been in a long time.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So how does FGC-GAF feel about Absolver? Looks like it might scratch some itches people have, especially the crossover I see between fans of intricate action games and fighting games.

Just found out about this game as it showed up on my YT recommendations:

https://youtu.be/RtS60VHeVYA

-Less characters overall
-Trimmed movelists
-Extremely simple combo system (replaced bound with a new mechanic that's easier to see/get basically)

It's still Tekken, so there's the learning curve of just moving and recognizing moves, but this is the easiest it's been in a long time.

Oh neat

Tripon

If the Chinese can make an exact knock off of a BMW they can make a rip off of a fighting game with a $100k budget.

Or the Chinese can use that $100k, make a Candy Crush clone, and make millions more off of it.

Edit: I realize that Candy Crush is a clone of a bunch of other games.

Anne

So how does FGC-GAF feel about Absolver? Looks like it might scratch some itches people have, especially the crossover I see between fans of intricate action games and fighting games.

Light RPG elements and create-a-fighter? I'll pass.

I've learned when I hear things like "it's like a fighting game" when it comes to 3D action games, that's just code for "this has lots of moves our reviewer doesn't understand the implications of." Unless that shit was made by a Japanese dude telling me about an actual combo system, I'm keeping my distance.

9/10 times these systems end up being unplayable garbage once actual fighting game type peeps look at them. For Honor is the most recent example of that brand of tire fire.

-Less characters overall
-Trimmed movelists

Eh move lists aren't trimmed but the new cast has comparatively less the the returning cast.

Kalamari

Pepsi is a cheap knock-off of Coke.
Hawaiian pizza is a cheap knock-off of pizza.
Esports is a cheap knock-off of actual sports.

shaowebb

If characters are just functions and the faces behind the tools don't matter then why is it that DLC is so adamantly focused on putting fan favorite character first to make the most money? If they acknowledge folks vote on DLC with their wallets then why not the base roster?

They know what they're doing. They can't spin it even if they try. They're gonna hold the popular characters fans love for ransom behind a paywall and season pass stuff.

Line_HTX

Under Night Super Turbo is a cheap knockoff of Dengeki Ignition, DeKappa

And that Combofiend response, is that the origin of this whole "function" meme going around?

shaowebb

Under Night Super Turbo is a cheap knockoff of Dengeki Ignition, DeKappa

And that Combofiend response, is that the origin of this whole "function" meme going around?

Lol. GRD in UNIELst is NOTHING like Trump card activations , support cast, and blasters in DFCI. They are so far removed from how UNIELST works and functions that this is one helluva funny statement. Whole rhythm of DFCI is Trump, and use burst to extend trump state bonuses. Utlize support cast for assist shenanigans and use Blasters between rounds to buff yourself in either support gauge, trump card stock or blast gauge stuff.

DFCI and UNIEL both have some stellar meter systems to them to be honest. Not similar but very very distinct in game. Both damned fun. Too bad DFCI never got localized. Just DFC. I guess since UNIEL is on steam I should probably try to set it up on the pocket pc to grind more at break. I wish Melty Blood worked properly on that thing...:(
So many animu fighters. So little time.

ShinMaruku

Akira is also in Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax and that is definitely not Virtual Fighter.

Does that have Sarah and Jacky? But in all seriousness VF will live on in this cross games. DOA is the most similar since some of the devs on vf now are in Team Ninja.

FSLink

Banned
*People did not like the assigned seating arrangement of Mandalay Bay, they prefer the old style of seating in the older EVOs.

Really? As someone who went last year I loved this. Being able to go to the bathroom or grab food or beer and come back to the same seat was pretty sweet.

I did think the seating arrangement for the non-Mandalay Bay stuff was more problematic. Smash 4 was super crowded and was difficult to see the smaller stage at times. Didn't help that the group in front of us refused to sit down or take a knee so the rest of us could see.

Went to visit the studio in Paris during Red Bull Kumite. It's a small team of 20 people. I was able to play the game for more than one hour and test various things and discuss with the devs, they are great guys.

Some key points I notice:

- The feeling of impact and movement is very good, way better than For Honor.
- The animations are really good (and they are all done by hand) and really gives you the feeling you are creating a unique character
- The just frame version of moves is quite easy to learn and execute
- I didn't like the parry as it's a button + direction and that felt over complicated to me for something you should do by reflex. The devs told me most FG players gave this feedback but they can't change it at this stage of the dev
- The combat deck is well done once you get used to it and it's very pleasant to try to create combo routes
- I don't know if I'll be able to play correctly at this game. To me the character has a standard stance once he stops moving and on it I tried to create a well balanced set of moves that opens to options. Depending of what I did from there I went to this or that stance and they were, to me, a way to mixup things. But the devs see all stances as equals and told me I was maybe trying to force the game to my FG habits.
- But even after that, switching stances is slow and felt unatural to me because stances are selected with the right analog stick so you have press a trigger then use the stick to choose your position and access the moveset. It felt too complicated to me again, and I hate using the right analog stick for this as it feels very unprecise to me.
- I suggested to them to limit the use of the right stick as I felt I had to do a lot of back and forth between analog stick and buttons. I suggested that maybe pressing the trigger + a button could make us change stance instead of using the stick. I don't know if they'll have time to do this.
- Overall it feels way more intesting than For Honor was. The progression and study of moves to complete your moveset is a good idea and I also tried playing in 1vs1 and got destroyed. There might be a good PVP potential in there. :)

Top Bottom