• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 16-22

Anth0ny

I didn't know that the Tekken characters, new backgrounds, new moves, new art, new CG, and marketing didn't cost anything!

I think SFxT may have been the most heavily marketed Capcom game of all time. I saw ads for that mother fucker everywhere.

Too bad it's shit.

kappa

MVC3 - A game made from scratch

SFXT - A game that recycles a ton of assets

Sorry but I can't see how SFXT could cost more than MVC3 to make.
Some of the SF roster (barring a couple of characters) reuse some assets. The rest of the game is indeed built from the ground up. You're trying to paint the game like it's an SF4 patch when the game plays completely different.
I think SFxT may have been the most heavily marketed Capcom game of all time. I saw ads for that mother fucker everywhere.

Too bad it's shit.

kappa

The game had so much potential. It's a shame all the negative shit had to happen.

MVC3 wasn't totally from scratch I would say. It uses an in house engine that has been used many times for different genres. Plus I think they were using TVC as a baseline.

K.Sabot

"LI Joe

Sponsored by Braziers."

-Chris Hu

fire_bowl3.jpg

Have you never heard of Tatsunoko vs Capcom? MVC3 was definitely not built from scratch and even had the same director of TVC work on it.

MVC3 wasn't totally from scratch I would say. It uses an in house engine that has been used many times for different genres. Plus I think they were using TVC as a baseline.

Indeed.

I spent like 2 hours in the training mode total for Skull Girls and I swear I have better BnB than most of the guys on the Spooky stream. Glad that a lot of players are liking Skull Girls.

I spent like 2 hours in the training mode total for Skull Girls and I swear I have better BnB than most of the guys on the Spooky stream. Glad that a lot of players are liking Skull Girls.
LI Joe's gameplay is legit though. Lots of folks at Big Two are looking way greener on the game compared to the stuff we've seen in the midwest(Powerup) and the West coast.

I expect things to improve quickly. Japan scares me more than any other region to be honest.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
IIRC, TvC and MvC3 don't share an engine. MvC3 uses MTF2.0 and TvC does not and uses an engine specifically made for the Wii; however stuff from TvC did carry over, I just don't think any raw resources created from TvC did, just gameplay stuff. So yeah, more from scratch than not. Just because it uses an engine made in-house doesn't mean Niitsuma's team had experience with it before MvC3, especially for making fighting games (which is highly unlikely). SFxTK uses a modified version of the SF4/SSF4 engine, and reuses assets.

It's kind of hard to compare how much work was done on one game vs. the other. SFxTK has had a lot poured into features and heavily modifying a lot of engine stuff, while re-using assets. MvC3 has less features, but was, pretty much, built from the ground up. From the netcode to the actual combat engine. From what I see from here, MvC3 appears like it *would* have cost more to develop.

IDK how we would know for sure if we don't see their budgets. Does DIMPS charge more than Eighting? Are the teams the same size? Were the same man hours put into both? Does one dev have better tools to get stuff done faster? Who knows.

All I know is, where is Cyberbots 2.

Phoenix couldn't kill Mahvel. Not even Dante could do it with his SSS "sexy sons of Sparda" quicksilver glitch, but Morrigan just killed SFxT and is eating dudes alive(pun not intended lol) in Mahvel. This lady is nuts.

Morrigan>Every other fighting game character in existence

It's a Morrigan joke, not dissing SFxT.

chriskun

Phoenix couldn't kill Mahvel. Not even Dante could do it with his SSS "sexy sons of Sparda" quicksilver glitch, but Morrigan just killed SFxT and is eating dudes alive(pun not intended lol) in Mahvel. This lady is nuts.

Morrigan>Every other fighting game character in existence

It's a Morrigan joke, not dissing SFxT.

Have they said if they are going to patch that shit or are they done with Marvel?

I only saw Pamyu OCV a team on last nights 5vs5 tourney, but gawt damn it was good to see him beasting again. Hopefully get to see more of him at tourneys.

USD

Last night the vote for KVOxGODSGARDEN (UMvC3) opened:

KVOxGODSGARDEN vote page

The names are in Roman characters as well, so you can easily vote. You get 6 votes a day: 5 up-votes and 1 down-vote. Left button (賛成) up-votes, right (反対) down-votes. You can use as many or as few as you want, spread or stack. Top 4 vote receivers get into the main tournament for KVOxGODS on May 4.

Are the concept matches part of the event streamed at the link right now?

The re-run is for last year's Tougeki. The concept match thing is for April 28.

Last night the vote for KVOxGODSGARDEN (UMvC3) opened:

KVOxGODSGARDEN vote page

The names are in Roman characters as well, so you can easily vote. You get 6 votes a day: 5 up-votes and 1 down-vote. Left button (賛成) up-votes, right (反対) down-votes. You can use as many or as few as you want, spread or stack. Top 4 vote receivers get into the main tournament for KVOxGODS on May 4.

That's pretty cool. If the options are in Roman characters as well, they might be expecting votes from outside the country, so it probably wouldn't hurt to participate.

edit: I just spread my votes around to the names that I recognize for now, so I gave one to each of these players:

abegen
Haunts
fubarduck
ふり~だ (Frieda)
まめスパイダー (Mame Spider)

Morrigan's soul fist trap is not an easy tactic at all. Why would it need to be patched out?

Ask anybody who attempts it, the way Chris G does it with very few shadow blade inputs is amazing.

Azure J

For real though, anyone have a link to the archive with the crazy Morrigan play? I'm not even sure where I should be looking under. :lol

USD

Oh yeah I forgot to mention, the full list of players for the SSFIV AE concept match on April 29 at Cho Tougeki was announced:

Fuudo
Haitani
MDR
Mago
Tokido
Kazunoko
Uryo
Momochi
Umehara
Nuki

Top Bottom