• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 15-21 | I did the math; it came out to 500,000

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
fJYvzVO.jpg

LOL looks like a looney toon character

What exactly is Just Defend and how does it work? I remember it from a long time ago in an SNK(?) game, but that's about it. I tried to search for it, but I got "Why Did Obama Just Defend the Iraq War?".

I didn't even know Obama played fighters at elite level.

You press back at a specific timing in order to reduce blockstun and gain back life, it's like parrying but with lower risk and lower reward. It was also special-cancelable in MOTW but I don't know if it was in CVS2

Just Defend is almost the same shit as a parry but you do it by pressing back instead of forward.

You're thinking of Garou: Mark of the Wolves. They based Just Defend in CvS2 based on the Garou Mechanic.

In these particular games, you wait until the last few frames before an attack lands to block it; if done successfully, your character will flash white, gain a small amount of hp, have less blockstun, and less pushback. Just defends are also able to be done in the air, while normal blocking cannot.

If it is in SFV, it probably wont be exactly like this.

You press back at a specific timing in order to reduce blockstun and gain back life, it's like parrying but with lower risk and lower reward. It was also special-cancelable in MOTW but I don't know if it was in CVS2

Just the jolt my memory needed. Thanks!

CO_Andy

live commentary = live coaching; slight advantage for non-foreign players

Also, it can be obnoxious to be told how much you stink

petghost

Banned
I think having a hype man on the house Mic is the easiest solution...the crowd gets the energy but the commentators don't have to hold back info or opinions and the players don't have to be completely separated from the audience.

Some aspects of eports presentation I think endanger the atmosphere of an fgc style event.

mbpm1

Also, it can be obnoxious to be told how much you stink
I can only imagine it might not help for you to drop your ultra and then have the voice of James Chen boom out: OH NO EG SPECIAL

that was some funny stuff

I'm still sorta confused. Dont we already have live commentators for like everything?

Live commentary piped into the venue like in Capcom Cup.

Dahbomb

I think having a hype man on the house Mic is the easiest solution...the crowd gets the energy but the commentators don't have to hold back info or opinions and the players don't have to be completely separated from the audience.

Some aspects of eports presentation I think endanger the atmosphere of an fgc style event.
This is not E sports.

In E sports the competitors are playing in a sound proof booth not distracted by crowd and the commentators (not completely but it gets the job done).

What they had at Capcom Cup was kinda bogus if you ask me.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
This is not E sports.

In E sports the competitors are playing in a sound proof booth not distracted by crowd and the commentators (not completely but it gets the job done).

What they had at Capcom Cup was kinda bogus if you ask me.
That sounds kinda anti hype.

Grakl

That sounds good.

Sayad

It's nowhere near as bad in fighting games as it is in DotAs, RTSs or FPSs. What ever the commentator may point out during the match is available to you on screen and is no different from playing in front of a crowd with a lot of people pointing out stuff/couching behind you. People who have problem with it already wear headphones while playing.

In most e-sport games the commentators/crowd can see information that shouldn't be available to the players, and can completely ruin the game if made so.

MLG piped in commentary like Capcom Cup. A little weird to hear them talking about you but it was fine. I wouldn't want to play in a booth though. I enjoy the crowd. I don't even use headphones or care about game sound.

Rhapsody

Banned
What do you guys think about the talk of players being in booths/ in house commentary?

Not sure I approve.

I'm mixed. For the crowd, it's pretty cool. They get to hear everything (although other events have MCs for hype, so that's fine). For the players, it's a little weird to hear the commentators talk about their match and hearing it. I'm not sure if them hearing it is that great of an idea, but I would hate it if players couldn't hear the crowd either.

kirblar

It is.

Decapre is "holy fuck broken" and in two minutes, I haven't found a single new thing with Ryu. They annoyingly didn't list the new move commands in the Command List menu.
Ryu's big change is the L/H fireball speed changes.

Is it out for PC?

Sheroking

That's for normal mode, not Omega, haha. He got a parry and something else.

Parry would make sense. I actually only spent like 2 minutes, but when I couldn't find it, I moved on.

Honda's salt throw works as an anti-air, and you can juggle it with stand RH for 150 damage. That's interesting. Wonder if someone not shit with charge characters can get headbutt or super juggle out of it.

kirblar

T Hawk's MP DP now gives him insane damage potential off of the RFC when you combo into it since it forces stand. (Normal)

Top Bottom