• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | December 31 - January 6 | 2013 brings some new challengers!

doomdance6kay8.gif

I increasingly think Darkstalkers is less and less of a risk. The unique art style and presentation will take it far and also cut into some of that MK appeal too. I think it's one of the best things Capcom can do to keep it's releases fresh.

Has the series ever actually sold well in the first place? I remember Viscant complaining about nobody playing it in that parry article he wrote a long time ago and how that's a sign that the genre is doomed. I think it's fair to say that it's a lot like the Virtual Fighter games, everyone always praises the Darkstalker games but when you look at the GGPO queue of the game it's always empty.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It didn't used to be a piece of shit. Then the forum system abruptly changed, and it became a piece of shit. It hardly ever loads, the servers are "busy" all the time and lose poses, post edits rarely go through, and the website absolutely kills my computer. Having 4 streams going at once does less to my computer than one SRK tab.

Keits has an account here, so maybe he'll see it. It can't just be us, yah?
I don't think Keits frequents here at all. A lot of influential FGC folks have accounts here but don't post. I definitely don't think it's just us, though.

For all the crap it gets, Eventhubs is actually pleasant to navigate.
Yup, one of the biggest reasons I use Eventhubs over SRK is that it's a news site that doesn't get in your way when you actually want to read their news.

:lol

Has the series ever actually sold well in the first place? I remember Viscant complaining about nobody playing it in that parry article he wrote a long time ago and how that's a sign that the genre is doomed. I think it's fair to say that it's a lot like the Virtual Fighter games, everyone always praises the Darkstalker games but when you look at the GGPO queue of the game it's always empty.
Not so sure about that, but I think it's hella marketable, moreso than the bland, gray, relic of the past that is VF. Darkstalkers actually has a distinguishable and unique art style it can capitalize off of, that can have good crossover appeal. It's been so long since the last, history has little influence considering how much markets have changed IMO. I think a graphical advantage over current fighting games and "wow" factor, say with next gen graphics would push it into SF4 sales territory though, but if not I think it'd do decent. It probably needs a technical gimmick of sorts.

Darkstalkers doesn't need to rely on nostalgia for sales, partially because it can't. I'm putting a lot of weight on the art here but I truly believe that can push games over sales thresholds if it's good enough.

SRK is a resource hog for no apparent reason. Sometimes I just go to event hubs because it loads faster, specially when I'm on mobile.

They gotta streamline that place or something.

SRK was my awesome when they still had the blue steel layout, the old rep bars, and post shield. Ever since they went to this beta whatever the fuck it is with the like button, and new wall message, and all this other crap the place went to hell.

Makes it feel like a bootleg Facebook.

Nyoro SF

Yup, one of the biggest reasons I use Eventhubs over SRK is that it's a news site that doesn't get in your way when you actually want to read their news.

:)

Not so sure about that, but I think it's hella marketable, moreso than the bland, gray, relic of the past that is VF. Darkstalkers actually has a distinguishable and unique art style it can capitalize off of, that can have good crossover appeal. It's been so long since the last, history has little influence considering how much markets have changed IMO. I think a graphical advantage over current fighting games and "wow" factor, say with next gen graphics would push it into SF4 sales territory though, but if not I think it'd do decent. It probably needs a technical gimmick of sorts.

Darkstalkers doesn't need to rely on nostalgia for sales, partially because it can't. I'm putting a lot of weight on the art here but I truly believe that can push games over sales thresholds if it's good enough.

Darkstalkers also can be sold as a more mature fighter if done properly. Not ridiculous gore like MK9 but more on the lines of additional "simple" violence can probably make a better sell presentation-wise. Capcom may fail every now and again, but they tend to be pretty good at surprising us. I really can't wait to see what's next (even if it isn't Darkstalkers).

Also given all these next-gen hints flying around, it wouldn't surprise me if fighting games are being put on hold for the next leap...
of games that are gigantic DLC-fests of agony

In don't mind that new stuff. I just wish it ran faster. I like that it notifies you when somebody quotes your post or your subscribed threads get posts.

All the rep stuff and like crap I don't care about. If cutting that meant faster performance, I'm all for it though.

Is it the server they use or something? They are using the jaxel software, right?

I HIGHLY doubt this even occurred, but if proved wrong wow I don't know what to think.

I (think) I found the quote I was thinking of:

"Marvel Vs Capcom 2 gained a cult following – why has it taken so long for a direct sequel?

When Capcom saturated the market with various versions of fighting games over a decade ago, we had a change in policy and we changed our direction towards more pure action titles rather than fighting action, which resulted in the Devil May Cry and Resident Evil series for example. All of those games have our know-how, our experience implemented but it’s been a decade since and we’ve re-recognised the potential of fighting games and I think it was time we took all the experiences we had with action games and put them back into fighting games. It was originally an idea of Keiji Inafune to bring back the MVC franchise, by then I had already been assigned as the producer of the Vs. titles so I took on his intentions and lead the project – and here it is."

sleepykyo

I don't think it has ever sold well, but it does a decent job of being tie-in material. eg. Posters, figurines, animation. VF hasn't even had that much outside of I think it was VF2 era were they made a VF anime.

No matter how much they soften Vanessa and decrease the clothing of default Sarah, they can't compete with Morrigan and Felicia.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
JRosa's Morrigan movement is looking phenomenal right now, he's just dropping every combo. Using air Soul Drains a lot to move in, very Alioune-ish.

EDIT:
Best Zero is anyone with a pulse.
- Flux

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Sanford and Dieminion on their way to the House of Crack. Hppe Sanford plays.

EDIT: Beaten.

EDIT: Sanford and Die just arrived from the looks of it.

SRK is laggy due to the amount of ads present on the server. Same reason IGN is. And now with the way SRk is set up, you can't use adblock to disable the ads. So that is the reason for the slow speed which is the issue for the large amount of individuals.

I've tried looking for Japanese sales numbers, but got nothing. Chances are that it did pretty bad. GGPO fluctuates too much to make an accurate judgement. A year ago it struggled to hit 25 people. Between late fall of 2011 and fall of 2012 the numbers hit records of 45-50 thanks to the weekly touranments. I have no clue what they are right now. Judder would most likely be way more informed on the subject as of late.
I don't think it has ever sold well, but it does a decent job of being tie-in material. eg. Posters, figurines, animation. VF hasn't even had that much outside of I think it was VF2 era were they made a VF anime.

No matter how much they soften Vanessa and decrease the clothing of default Sarah, they can't compete with Morrigan and Felicia.
This is true.
I (think) I found the quote I was thinking of:
Link please
Most definitely, I can see it happening, but that puts a scary level of dependency on Inafune that Capcom had while making quality games. I thought MvC3 was the last evidence they could still hold their own.
Dragon's Dogma and their evolving stance on the PC give me hope.

Tuned in to see him getting salty about a Juri "taunting him".

I think Justin is one of those guys like Fanatiq where it is best to just admire his play and not get to familiar with the guy behind the controller.

?? I just tuned in to and saw him as the one taunting....

By your logic Sanford and Ryan Hart both must be criminals. Surprisingly Justin and Fanatiq are the two that I see most donate their WNF/TRB winnings back... Champ too but with other tournaments.

vulva

Tuned in to see him getting salty about a Juri "taunting him".

I think Justin is one of those guys like Fanatiq where it is best to just admire his play and not get to familiar with the guy behind the controller.

Justin's a super nice guy, always happy to help new players out and just wants to do well in something he loves. I spent a long time talking to him last time he was up in Toronto, can't say enough good things about him.

Justin's a super nice guy, always happy to help new players out and just wants to do well in something he loves. I spent a long time talking to him last time he was up in Toronto, can't say enough good things about him.

Could be a super nice guy. But in relevant terms I don't think Infiltration is confused by seeing Juri's counters. Makes complaining about top tiers a little hollow.

Could just be me but he never really seems to know what he is on about, despite his incredible skill (hence the main difference between me and him)

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
Could be a super nice guy. But in relevant terms I don't think Infiltration is confused by seeing Juri's counters. Makes complaining about top tiers a little hollow.

Could just be me but he never really seems to know what he is on about, despite his incredible skill (hence the main difference between me and him)

The Juri taunted when Justin wasn't moving during the first 10 seconds of the round.

Top Bottom