• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | December 31 - January 6 | 2013 brings some new challengers!

kirblar

I wouldn't say Viscant is washed up either, but he has fallen from grace, despite being one of the most knowledgeable dudes for Marvel. Honzo said something to the tune of how do you go from being the Champ to "what is that guy doing now anyways?" He's still pretty good, it's just his team got hit hard and he doesn't have the execution to pick a top tier. Dropping sword and lightning loops everywhere. Purity for life <3

Jago and Floe were in the running too and Honzo said they couldn't be washed up because they were never good, and then everyone pondered why Floe is still on EG if he doesn't perform. Floe has that Yipes thing to him, where the other EG guys say he's a beast in casuals. Maybe they keep him around because he's good practice for the real EG killers. IMO Jago was pretty good in Marvel though, if he continued practicing he would be a massive threat.
We all know who the real EG killer is:

images

It's just that with Viscant, we know why he's not a top guy anymore, and its ok. It's not like he's pulled say, a Marlinpie. (Who would top my list.)

N4Us

Their collective nomination for Bala over MadKOF makes me salty.
Bala was doing stuff building up to Evo, but CafeID completely came out of nowhere and absolutely destroyed everyone else, not once, but twice (100% of the time they were here).

I agree, I understand cause the hosts aren't really big into the KOF scene but before EVO I didn't hear anyone within the KOF community expect Mad to do as good as he did. Everyone was talking about how Xiaohai, Dakou, Kaoru etc were going to give Bala the biggest challenge.

Not saying that Bala doesn't deserve any praise he gets though

Floe has that Yipes thing to him, where the other EG guys say he's a beast in casuals. Maybe they keep him around because he's good practice for the real EG killers.

That makes sense. Esports teams are big on training together.

Champ took an online player down to just his Haggar and then spent the last 40 seconds spamming Repulsion till time ran out.

one_kill

Jago and Floe were in the running too and Honzo said they couldn't be washed up because they were never good, and then everyone pondered why Floe is still on EG if he doesn't perform. Floe has that Yipes thing to him, where the other EG guys say he's a beast in casuals. Maybe they keep him around because he's good practice for the real EG killers. IMO Jago was pretty good in Marvel though, if he continued practicing he would be a massive threat.
I wonder if the Floe bit is true. Ultradavid and James Chen said something similar and added that he just needed that one tournament breakthrough moment.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
We all know who the real EG killer is:

images

It's just that with Viscant, we know why he's not a top guy anymore, and its ok. It's not like he's pulled say, a Marlinpie. (Who would top my list.)
Really? MarlinPie even on his worst days is still a gatekeeper to the elite. He's a pioneer and test of your ability to withstand and counter so much bullshit in Marvel. From THC tech, to blocking frankly stupid Viper set ups, to testing your patience against a stocked Viper that can pretty much convert any mistake of yours into death on reaction. He was still one of the, if not the, first pro players to ToD folks too. Will always be a roadblock to, and most likely a placer in top 16.

I think it's reasonable if there have been shaky things happening in MarlinPie's personal life that he'd be more off than on, same thing with Jago.

You can't say Viscant had hand problems and won EVO and then also use that as an excuse to cover for his shit performances in tournaments afterwards. Viscant is a huge fraud, and it's no shocker to see GAF theory fighters defend another. The fact that he won with a busted team and can't do it again, Jean nerfs or not, is solid proof.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
You can't say Viscant had hand problems and won EVO and then also use that as an excuse to cover for his shit performances in tournaments afterwards. Viscant is a huge fraud, and it's no shocker to see GAF theory fighters defend another. The fact that he won with a busted team and can't do it again, Jean nerfs or not, is solid proof.
I ain't a theory fighter. No one is denying his shit performance so don't know where you got that either. Also no GAF theory fighter is defending another (what?). Stop rambling nonsense.

Watch the EVO performance again and see it was more than a busted team that won. You act like PR Rog was using some low tier shit too when his team was also set up with a similar structure. He manipulated his opponents, changed his play styles accordingly, and broadcast ALL of his set ups on a "how to play my team and these are its weaknesses" hour long instructional video beforehand. And it was just his team, not the mental game that got him by, right? Or he's a fraud because others can't block Lariat? Or fraud just means low execution?

His poor performance correlates pretty damn well with characters he doesn't have the execution for, that he still tries to play. The second problem being him still playing Vanilla afterwards in Ultimate. He hasn't switched up his game plans and his mix ups are basically the same since he spends all his time practicing characters he can't play. While on the other hand, you look at FR Roachking, who's stuck with the team and is working miracles with it.

Why are you talking about mvc2 for viscant? He won EVO and was pretty well establish in vanilla mvc3 2011. Since then Viscant has fallen considerably.

and what? Gootecks got top 8 for 3s? when?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_Championship_Series

Not that I could remember. He came into 3s later than most of the OG 3s NA players.

Must have confused Gootecks with someone else, forgive my poor memory. In any case the point still stands that Viscant hasn't been that bad in UMvC3, he still occassionally gets top 16/32 in tourneys. He's obviously no longer going to be as dominant as he was in vanilla but it's a stretch to say that he's no longer a good player.

Vice

Viscant still puts in work though. He didn't go from winning evo to going 0-2. The meta game changed and his tools got weaker. It happens with every game with top players.

kirblar

What are you talking about? My whole argument is that he got his win by figuring out the most busted team in the game and was able to use it to win. There's nothing wrong with that, but saying "oh, look, a falling star" is pretty stupid because no one really had any expectation that he'd be able to keep it up reliably after his win.

yeah a lot of people don't know how good the old "5 Gods of Fighting Games" (daigo, tokido, nuki, haitani and sako) were.

Most people just know daigo from the 3s parry video and SF4. For Tokido its akuma and SF4. Both nuki and haitani fell off after the release of SF4 (you'll see haitani here and there with makoto I believe in sf4) and Sako is just an old guy now with really good execution (and one of the best cammys).

Before SF4 those 5 were pretty dominant in every 2d fighting game. But times have changed and things are now different. The only real "gods" left are Daigo and Tokido but that status is tremendously weaker than it used to be.

Sako just won the Topanga League in 2012 (w/ Ibuki) with Haitani coming 2nd...the rest of the top 8 consisted of Uryo, Fuudo, Daigo, Momochi, Kazunoko & Mago. And these aren't BS-filled 2/3 sets where a friendly bracket can put you in winners' finals as those who follow Topanga know. The Grand Finals were 6-1 Sako, 8-6 Haitani and 6-3 Sako.

Haitani came Top 12 at his first Evo just this year after getting knocked out by Xiao Hai (i.e. a top 3 Cammy) too. Same final position as Uryo. Finished 3rd at SBO in August also...

IIRC Nuki just doesn't play as much. He has a Seth he messes about with but he doesn't travel I don't believe, and barely competes.

HardRojo

Damn Gutabo, I can only be thankful for being young enough that I didn't have to go through all that bullshit while Shining Path was still strong here, I only know how hard things were back then through stories that friends tell me (like yours).

gutabo

Great story, Gutabo. Thanks for sharing. Your mom sounds awesome.

Thank you very much, I guess as every mom mine has her moments.

Damn Gutabo, I can only be thankful for being young enough that I didn't have to go through all that bullshit while Shining Path was still strong here, I only know how hard things were back then through stories that friends tell me (like yours).
It was pretty bad. The worst part was when the stupid, clueless government decided to declare Lima an emergency zone for 17 months. Imagine a 11pm to 6am curfew with the army + tanks roaming the streets, shooting on sight. If you didn't want to get shot you needed a safe pass(which were almost non existant). Of course most night business crashed or went bankrupt. My first early teen parties were from 4pm to 9pm and with no alcohol at all.

On topic, I must say as an old man that execution and reaction time do get worse(I guess it's a case by case basis but it's just a fact of life to start replacing quick reflexes with experience). It's a downer when your mind starts to run faster than your hands and you think what you want to do but your hands just wont' answer as fast as you were used to. Because of that (and knowing about his particular hands issues) all my support goes to Viscant <3.

alstein

Eventually folks will get too old to be competitive. I think late 20s is probably the peak for fighting game talent. Some games like VF let you hang on longer though.

Sako just won the Topanga League in 2012 (w/ Ibuki) with Haitani coming 2nd...the rest of the top 8 consisted of Uryo, Fuudo, Daigo, Momochi, Kazunoko & Mago. And these aren't BS-filled 2/3 sets where a friendly bracket can put you in winners' finals as those who follow Topanga know. The Grand Finals were 6-1 Sako, 8-6 Haitani and 6-3 Sako.

Haitani came Top 12 at his first Evo just this year after getting knocked out by Xiao Hai (i.e. a top 3 Cammy) too. Same final position as Uryo. Finished 3rd at SBO in August also...

IIRC Nuki just doesn't play as much. He has a Seth he messes about with but he doesn't travel I don't believe, and barely competes.

I think I wrote that poorly. I meant the perception of them from the majority of the FGC is that they have fallen or washed up compared to their past selfs. I think they are all still top notch players but that doesn't mean somebody new to the FGC (09'ers) might know who they are.

I've seen people say thing like "XYZ is the Daigo of ABC game" and its just like "what? no no no no no no no" In one specific case it was REO for MK9.

rexor0717

yeah a lot of people don't know how good the old "5 Gods of Fighting Games" (daigo, tokido, nuki, haitani and sako) were.

Most people just know daigo from the 3s parry video and SF4. For Tokido its akuma and SF4. Both nuki and haitani fell off after the release of SF4 (you'll see haitani here and there with makoto I believe in sf4) and Sako is just an old guy now with really good execution (and one of the best cammys).

Before SF4 those 5 were pretty dominant in every 2d fighting game. But times have changed and things are now different. The only real "gods" left are Daigo and Tokido but that status is tremendously weaker than it used to be.

This post his hilarious and great for some reason.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.

Obviously, anyone who doesn't win a manner that meets your standards should feel nothing but shame about their hollow victory. That Viscant played smarter than his competition and executed his gameplan under pressure on the biggest stage in fighting games is immaterial.

mephixto

Banned

WTF he was placing second, third or first on some tournaments after evo.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Nice, looking forward to the list.

SFXT must be out then if the list has been decided before the new patch hits, right?
Probably. Then again the base game has been out for a while and therefore it's still more easy to judge than games that are not out get like Injustice, which have to rely on a guess that the community will support that game like they did MK and bring in new folks and/or money from WB.

I'll guess

AE2012
UMvC3
KOF13
Injustice
Tekken Tag 2
SFxT

gutabo said:
On topic, I must say as an old man that execution and reaction time do get worse(I guess it's a case by case basis but it's just a fact of life to start replacing quick reflexes with experience). It's a downer when your mind starts to run faster than your hands and you think what you want to do but your hands just wont' answer as fast as you were used to.

I'm really with you on this. I remember saying something similar in another thread once, and a bunch of 20-year olds told me I was trippin. I just accepted it because fuck - I'm old, and easily confused anymore. But it's nice to know there's at least one other person out there staring at their hands like "WHY DON'T YOU DO WHAT I TELL YOU TO DO ANYMORE"

I wouldn't say Viscant is washed up either, but he has fallen from grace, despite being one of the most knowledgeable dudes for Marvel. Honzo said something to the tune of how do you go from being the Champ to "what is that guy doing now anyways?" He's still pretty good, it's just his team got hit hard and he doesn't have the execution to pick a top tier. Dropping sword and lightning loops everywhere. Purity for life <3

Viscant, Jago, and Floe are all 10x better fighting game players than fucking Honzo. Honzo like a fucking 19 year old 09er who happens to be decent at Marvel and that's about it. Dude is nothing more than fucking little child that doesn't know shit. I seriously doubt he had any friends before he even enter the FGC. While everyone mentioned above has been a top player in multiple games. The fuck would anyone give 2 cents about his opinion? Pretty much the new age Trifroce... just does it online instead of in person.

don't see how SFxT is going to make it back. The community support isn't there outside top players.

P4A is definitely there considering its the 3rd biggest game consistently.

My guess?

TTT2
AE2012
MvC3
P4A
MK9/Injustice
KOF13/PSAS

I don't think DOA5 has a chance in hell

Obviously, anyone who doesn't win a manner that meets your standards should feel nothing but shame about their hollow victory. That Viscant played smarter than his competition and executed his gameplan under pressure on the biggest stage in fighting games is immaterial.
My issue isn't with how he won, which I probably should have made clear. My issue is that he hasn't won anything of note after the biggest tournament of the year, and his enormous fall. People seem to be evolving on a weekly basis in Marvel, and Viscant is just watching evolution pass him by. Viscant won with a busted team, but like others have mentioned, it's also the fault of the players for not paying attention to the almost literal sign Viscant was holding that said who his team was and how to beat it.

I would be more than happy to take back every negative thing I have said about him if he could prove me wrong. But it seems he's more content with writing articles about Celine Dion than actually practicing.
WTF he was placing second, third or first on some tournaments after evo.
Not counting locals, which tournaments and how soon after Evo?

My issue isn't with how he won, which I probably should have made clear. My issue is that he hasn't won anything of note after the biggest tournament of the year, and his enormous fall. People seem to be evolving on a weekly basis in Marvel, and Viscant is just watching evolution pass him by. Viscant won with a busted team, but like others have mentioned, it's also the fault of the players for not paying attention to the almost literal sign Viscant was holding that said who his team was and how to beat it.

I would be more than happy to take back every negative thing I have said about him if he could prove me wrong. But it seems he's more content with writing articles about Celine Dion than actually practicing.
Not counting locals, which tournaments and how soon after Evo?

Viscant still in the top 1% of the people who fucking play this game. It's not that big of a fall... he was never consensus #1 either. He just happened to win the Super Bowl of fighting games, then regress back to his natural position of somewhere from #25 to #100 out of the thousands of people who do play this shit competitively.

Banananana

Neo Member
Floe is the last person who deserves a sponsorship. He's on EG cause he's justin's friend, and for no other reason. God forbid some of these teams sponsor people who are capable of winning tournaments like Wolfkrone or K-Brad.

esports doesn't care about black people.

sleepykyo

Hahahaha.

It isn't that unlikely. It was pretty clear Mr. Wizard hates the game (at least logistically).

Floe is the last person who deserves a sponsorship. He's on EG cause he's justin's friend, and for no other reason. God forbid some of these teams sponsor people who are capable of winning tournaments like Wolfkrone or K-Brad.

I do think his by far the weakest member on EG but Wolfkrone and K-Brad fell off quite bit. The latter two aren't very versatile either. At least Floe can sneak an early top 8 in alternative game x while the community comes to grips with the game.

Wolfkrone can't even get a fucking decent interview, and K-Brad is niche as fuck (sounds like a great and humble guy though). There's more to sponsoring someone then picking a winner. Every fucking time Floe pop up on screen all you see is "DansGame".

You add that in with Floes special "Floke", 3 thousand people watching him pay "I want to be the Boshy" and even having a past history with guys like UltraChen "which allow them to background info on him when they do commentary."

Add all that shit up and there's no way in hell anyone with half a brain would sponsor Wolfkrone over Floe. And this is probably why Fanatiq got sponsor by AGE before Chris G. I can guarantee you more people have bought AGE headsets off Fanatiq's promo code than Chris G. That's for damn sure.

Top Bottom