• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | July 20-26 | No Gods or Kings, Only Tears

pixelish

I agree. I am usually a big fan of the EVO top 8 intros but MKX and Ultra were disappointing this year.

The player clips at the end were awesome again though. I wish everyone actually did something fun like PR Rog. Half the guys just stare at the camera.
what was up with nemo though? during his segment he was trying to show off his man purse or something but I didn't get the context behind his action.

Dahbomb

it was beautiful, the entire point of that song was how they ruled the game (my world) w a bit of 'this is america's game' and then NOPE

2014's intro would've actually been super fitting for the situation at hand
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e674Xwdt394
LMAO!!!!!

This EVO 2015 will be talked about for quite some time.

If we get a Marvel game like 10 years from now, people are going to look at this year among all the other EVO results and be like "man... what DA FUCK happened here?"

Infinite

This sounds ridiculous, like look at Pepedai's interview. He mentions option selects once in a brief sentence. The majority of that interview still about practice, learning the game, learning the ins and outs of your character, the tools available, how and when to use them. OSes are just another mechanic you end up using, not a strictly codified one in the game but its still just another set of button inputs you have to do based on your decision making process.

Although I guess if you refuse to use them, then yeah you might be playing on a different level from someone who does.
Yeah , I didn't say what think I said. I'm not saying Japanese players learn option selects and other engine exploits and be done with it. I also said I'm generalizing but I have spotted the Real Game(tm) sentiment from enough American top players to conclude that it is a thing.

Skab

CKfOHcMUMAEbRZH.jpg:large

Their faces are just asking to be made into avatars.

alstein

I feel this is true about Marvel but I think it also illustrates how Japanese players approach fighting games versus how Americans approach the games. Not that one approach is better than the other necessarily but the divide becomes clearer in games like SF4 where the game is riddled with option selects and shit of that nature that Japanese players will study, invent, and exploit while American top players for the most part thinks the game starts and end with footsies and yomi and are apprehensive towards exploiting the engine due to misguided philosophical reasons. I know I'm making generalizations but it is something I noticed. I remember when Sako came over to compete in America for the first time in SF4 and players on Twitter said something to the effect of "Playing footsies with Sako is like playing footsies with the computer". I think this also highlights a specific mindset.

I think you also see this to a degree in game design. I really think SFV is being designed with the cowboy mentality in mind, and I love it.

Also, I suspect the cowboy mentality does well for the first year, then the scientist mentality takes over after that.

It's kinda like Aoki vs Imai in Ippo, with the Americans as Aoki.

The real reason top players get salty at KBR is because when they get beat by him they are made to look like idiots. Nothing exposes you as a player as when you get your Foot Dive armored through and punished or when you get slapped out of the air as a Morrigan/Zero player.

KBR is the poster child for how I want to play, armoring through things. He does the same shit in KOF too.

Jazz-ism

Banned
i know hes banned but it was cool meeting kimosabae. dude is a player for real. hope to catch up with you next time im stateside

shame i couldnt meet up with Q and the others but got damn evo weekend just...there isnt enough time in a day.

zissou...why were you awol at our pool? I was looking forward to playing you...

i made it out of my pool but lost to purepure in quarters. it was close but I still have more work to do apparently.

Zissou

i know hes banned but it was cool meeting kimosabae. dude is a player for real. hope to catch up with you next time im stateside

shame i couldnt meet up with Q and the others but got damn evo weekend just...there isnt enough time in a day.

zissou...why were you awol at our pool? I was looking forward to playing you...

i made it out of my pool but lost to purepure in quarters. it was close but I still have more work to do apparently.

I suck :(
Once I was out I went to watch a friend I traveled with who had street fighter pools at the same time (he got to winner's finals and was going to fight Xiaohai, so wanted to support him). I missed you at KVO too (though I couldn't enter xrd due to it filling up so was only playing marvel there). We gotta play one of these days! I forget- are you in Tokyo? If you're in Osaka, let me know- our group meets up and plays on Fridays (marvel and xrd mostly).

Shouta

Looks like KBR is going to be staying in Japan until October probably at forgenjuro's place. lol

I was a bit disappointed with the intros for EVO this year. Especially SF4. There should have been a focus on previous evo history seeing as this is the last year where SF4 is the main game. That adds weight to the top 8 as opposed to just random SF clips.

Something like this with added footage of Xian and Luffy winning would have been dope.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHvXGRPVXrw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVvJMzsHFd8

I think Persona had the best intro this year. Looked great, audio was perfectly timed, mostly gameplay and ended with one player clip. The other ones were nowhere near as good aside from Xrd.

I think you also see this to a degree in game design. I really think SFV is being designed with the cowboy mentality in mind, and I love it.

Also, I suspect the cowboy mentality does well for the first year, then the scientist mentality takes over after that.

It's kinda like Aoki vs Imai in Ippo, with the Americans as Aoki.

If only the look-away tactic worked in real life....

Dahbomb

And yeah I totally agree that SFV is being developed with the cowboy mindset (it's basically a game that I would imagine Combofiend would excel at since he's the cowboy of cowboys). They are definitely keen on lowering the technical stuff and remove as many OSes as they can.

Though tech will be discovered and the scientists will start to take over. And there are some cowboys in Japan too... like Daigo, Nemo and Kazunoko who can excel at the start with SFV.

One of my highlights from Evo was watching Ryan Hart play a casual USF4 match while having a conversation with one of his friends who was away from the monitor. I'm talking about him having not having his eyes on the screen at all and talking to his friend while landing combos on some poor soul. Vicious.

vulva

And yeah I totally agree that SFV is being developed with the cowboy mindset (it's basically a game that I would imagine Combofiend would excel at since he's the cowboy of cowboys). They are definitely keen on lowering the technical stuff and remove as many OSes as they can.

Though tech will be discovered and the scientists will start to take over. And there are some cowboys in Japan too... like Daigo, Nemo and Kazunoko who can excel at the start with SFV.
ultimate cowboy is santarou though

Riposte

I never followed WTF but it's an interesting mention. Doesn't DOA have a news ticker about community events on the main menu?

What do you like about watching fighting games?

So conservative = no fireballs?

There are bigger differences than the use of projectiles (which isn't completely unheard of in close-ranged 3D fighters). For example how players target each other or how big the map is.

alstein

If only the look-away tactic worked in real life....

It did in the arcades. One guy was being an ass, so I looked away from the screen the whole time and kissed my girl at the time, and beat his ass in SamSho once. He wanted to start a fight after that and got kicked out.

I even used to call my playstyle back in the day mudfighting because I'd be trying to take all the science out of the game, I'd concentrate on destroying OS's and smart play even if it cost me games.

Justin and Chris didn't even end up playing in the US vs Japan 4v4, which was later that evening after top 8 was decided. The final US team was FChamp, Clockwork, Cloud, and RayRay.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
There are bigger differences than the use of projectiles (which isn't completely unheard of in close-ranged 3D fighters). For example how players target each other or how big the map is.

Then I still don't understand the original sentiment. What, then, is a conservative 2D fighter?

crash-14

I just saw that Dahbomb gave me the prize for the EVO predictions contest. So I wanted to say thanks to him also here.

Looking foward for the next and I would also like to collaborate next time. I like bets

ShinMaruku

I am telling you man.

It's cowboys vs scientists.
The top players in Japan can be both. But the US does have some great scientists like viscant and Ryan Hunter. They are the equal of any Japanese scientist

I think there is a difference between the average mentality of Japanese vs. U.S. players, but there are plenty of scientists in the U.S. and cowboys in Japan as well.
Higher level of play and the cultral mindset will force Japan to gravitate more to the scientist. It's the only way you gonna break out of a field of killers and become one yourself.

The Marvel intro was pretty funny with all those players not making top 8.
It's apt. Pride always comes before the fall. :p

Bizazedo

The real reason top players get salty at KBR is because when they get beat by him they are made to look like idiots. Nothing exposes you as a player as when you get your Foot Dive armored through and punished or when you get slapped out of the air as a Morrigan/Zero player.

This is true. One thing I noticed is that the finals for SFIV and Marvel made the Marvel guys look really bad.

Watching KBR versus RayRay, all I could think of was "Man, Magneto is gonna get armor fucked by Hulk, this is a bad idea." None of the Marvel guys have alt teams. You'd think KBR's team would be a prime target for counterpicking.

I was also watching with a buddy who uses MODOK, so not only was he pointing out every time Frutsy fucked up (like Zero falls out of MODOK combos a lot, so it was painful to watch Frutsy not expect it when it happened as a quick example), but it was just another example to me of it seeming like the whole scene has regressed slightly.

The Marvel intro was ass too. Red Rapper, pls stop.

Marvel Intro was done by the same guy who did Rumble and War, Omega Sparxx. I didn't like it as much as those two, but it grew on me a few days later.

Seyavesh

Watching KBR versus RayRay, all I could think of was "Man, Magneto is gonna get armor fucked by Hulk, this is a bad idea." None of the Marvel guys have alt teams. You'd think KBR's team would be a prime target for counterpicking.

I was also watching with a buddy who uses MODOK, so not only was he pointing out every time Frutsy fucked up (like Zero falls out of MODOK combos a lot, so it was painful to watch Frutsy not expect it when it happened as a quick example), but it was just another example to me of it seeming like the whole scene has regressed slightly.

are you serious with thinking that mags vs. hulk isn't heavily in mags favor...?
like, he has a baby zero team but the zero vs hulk matchup has to be played insanely lame which i'm not sure he'd know w/ that level of zero experience

also i think modok players unilaterally hate frutsy lol, the local guy here too was going nuts about how he wasnt doin the best shit and i was laughing so hard bc thats exactly what he was acting in 2012 too

Top Bottom