• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | July 20-26 | No Gods or Kings, Only Tears

DRE Fei

Ok, why do think those things make a match fast/slow? Cause those things were lacking before and existed in slow games.

Matches appear fast now because it's lopsided and people suck at defense. Like usual, most people are fixated on damage because combos are the easiest thing to find and work on.

This game will definitely slow down compared to right now. Combofiend bopping people is not representative of much.

Is super turbo slow? That's what this game reminds me of.

Do you understand how powerful meaty/throw mixup is? There is no more focus backdash like before. SF4 even has focus backdash with throw tech option select in it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wgu825du2_c

The backdash change in SF5 is HUGE. It has throw invulnerability but no hit invulnerability which makes meaties very strong. You basically have to make hard reads now when you get knocked down. If you wake up mashing grab you will either get counter hit by meaties, or people will just start neutral jumping and punishing it with full combos. Rounds will end quickly for the same reason super turbo rounds end quickly.

WCaqkrA.gif

Sayad

MVC3 is the opposite, match length ended up slower compared to what it was in its first few months. That's because stuff like XF1 to kill the first character then kill the other 2 characters was pretty easy to do and hard to comeback from because of lack of stuff like aerial XF. Neutral game from the players was worse overall as well... it was unthinkable back in the day for there to be 40 Marvel seconds of neutral between the point characters. Defense was also a lot worse and people got away with a lot more gimmicks into kills.
I'm talking about prerelease/launch MvC3, where people were still figuring out teams and bnbs, no way the game turned out slower than that later on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eZhrhJY_HU

Dahbomb

I'm talking about prerelease/launch MvC3, where people were still figuring out teams and bnbs, no way the game turned out slower than that later on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eZhrhJY_HU
I was mostly talking about a few months into the game like when people started on the Wolverine train. ie get hit on first character, XF1, then kill the next character with XF still flowing and kill the final character with a LVL3 because you had so much meter in that version.

I mean day 1 ain't no one knew what they were doing except maybe Justin Wong. Day 1 fucking Arthur was top tier ... come on now man.

Sayad

I mean day 1 ain't no one knew what they were doing except maybe Justin Wong. Day 1 fucking Arthur was top tier ... come on now man.
That's the whole point as we were talking about SFV matches post launch getting faster/slower compared to what they are right now!
9ovvu0I.gif

Dahbomb

That's the whole point as we were talking about SFV matches post launch getting faster/slower compared to what they are right now!
9ovvu0I.gif
Yeah of course, things will change.. I have said that a few times already.

I think its speed will somewhere between ST and SF4 match times. There will be some blow out matches in SFV but players playing cautious will extend match time long enough.

Mr. X

Is super turbo slow? That's what this game reminds me of.

Do you understand how powerful meaty/throw mixup is? There is no more focus backdash like before. SF4 even has focus backdash with throw tech option select in it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wgu825du2_c

The backdash change in SF5 is HUGE. It has throw invulnerability but no hit invulnerability which makes meaties very strong. You basically have to make hard reads now when you get knocked down. If you wake up mashing grab you will either get counter hit by meaties, or people will just start neutral jumping and punishing it with full combos. Rounds will end quickly for the same reason super turbo rounds end quickly.
ST had variable damage and dizzy. It also had 0f 1 button throws which is its own offensive OS and throw soften reduced damage not 0 it and return to neutral. Top it off, it was played at Turbo 3.

If it does turn out to be that good, they can add throw invul on wakeup like 3s.

Pacing might be like A2 sans CC.

Did DP fadc and FA backdash baby players too much?

Top Bottom