• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | July 29 - August 4 | Obey your thirst

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Capcom All Stars confirmed.

uLUzXo0.jpg

Horseress

Looks like I fell asleep while watch SF at Next Level and missed some drama.

I confess that I was ALMOST falling asleep while SF was on (it was 00:30am here already), but I was actually exited for those matches (there were some good ones) and then Arturo starts making jokes about collusion righter before the guys actually colluded =/

Kikujiro

Naw, they're just not as obvious. They're not rubbing it everyone's face.

Which is perfectly fine, the problem is not the pot split, it's acting like a freaking child. If Mago and Tokido are in a GF I expect a pot split, since they are both friends and from Topanga, but they are still gonna play the match like they should, because it's not fucking difficult to do it and you show respect to the TOs, to the stream viewers and to the other players.
It seems that some American Marvel players are so dumb they can't even grasp a simple concept like this.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I confess that I was ALMOST falling asleep while SF was on (it was 00:30am here already), but I was actually exited for those matches (there were some good ones) and then Arturo starts making jokes about collusion righter before the guys actually colluded =/

Last thing I heard before waking up today was Art and Sp00ky talking about "colluuuuuuuusions".

Then I see that according to GAF, it actually happened a few minutes later - haha.

What happened with Sp00ky last night? I missed it.

Grand Finals of AE - ChrisG went with Yang, and Sandford goes with Balrog, even though both were using their mains the whole tournament. Sp00ky wasn't having it, yanked the plug on the Xbox and said he wasn't streaming it.

Didn't see it myself to say if it was warranted, but Sanford playing Balrog RIGHT after VxG when I've never ever heard of him using him before sets off all kinds of red flags with me, and Sp00ky would know these guys better than me.

Edit: Already explained, with timestamp and all. I'll watch it for myself when I get back in a couple hours.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
People should just start pulling Wolfkrones at every tournament: agree to split and then back out after you win!

Malice215

So I rewatched the NL video. Chris G beat Sanford 3-0 in winners finals with Sakura. There's no reason for him to even pick Yang to begin with if he wanted to take grand finals seriously.

I have no problem with players picking whoever they want to use. The thing is that they don't until they're in the money and do stupid shit in the grand finals that they try and make excuses for. The video doesn't lie. If they want to dick around in grand finals, then do it off screen or take the split and call it a night. Don't waste people's time or spit in the eye of those who work to put these events on by not taking it seriously.

But right now, players are going to test balls to see what people are going to do. It's a shame that players can't be mature about it, but Sp00ky was in his right to stop it, especially when he still had Marvel to finish streaming.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
So I rewatched the NL video. Chris G beat Sanford 3-0 in winners finals with Sakura. There's no reason for him to even pick Yang to begin with if he wanted to take grand finals seriously.

I have no problem with players picking whoever they want to use. The thing is that they don't until they're in the money and do stupid shit in the grand finals that they try and make excuses for. The video doesn't lie. If they want to dick around in grand finals, then do it off screen or take the split and call it a night. Don't waste people's time or spit in the eye of those who work to put these events on by not taking it seriously.

But right now, players are going to test balls to see what people are going to do. It's a shame that players can't be mature about it, but Sp00ky was in his right to stop it, especially when he still had Marvel to finish streaming.

Chris G picks troll shit all the time. Dude straight picks Sean in 3S tourneys. But I always took it as a "I don't respect you and I don't even need to use my main to beat you" thing and not a "I don't care if I win" kind of thing because he usually picks his shit if he gets beat down the first game.

Last year after Evo he picked Guile or Abel or someone on Xian in a Big Two GF and switched back to Sakura real fucking quick after he got slaughtered the first game.

Not defending what happened yesterday or anything, but Chris does pick crazy shit even when he's not in the money. Other peeps not so much.

theowne

I get people being angry when both players are purposely playing like crap, but throwing colluding around when they don't pick who they usually play is b.s especially at a local. Tonight in my opinion it seemed it wasn't about how they played but who they played.

No, yesterday was more about timing, people involved, and character pick.

i.e. Chris G (who started this whole nonsense) + a few days after VxG blow up + messing around with secondary chars.

That's not an everyday situation. It doesn't mean every player who ever picks a 2nd character is going to start getting busted.

If they're going to make life hard for guys like Spooky, they should move on and do something else. How can a top player like ChrisG dedicate so much of his time to something and be flip about GF? If it's old hat and you can't give a shit about being in GF on stream, it's probably time to hang it up.

Malice215

Chris G picks troll shit all the time. Dude straight picks Sean in 3S tourneys. But I always took it as a "I don't respect you and I don't even need to use my main to beat you" thing and not a "I don't care if I win" kind of thing because he usually picks his shit if he gets beat down the first game.

Last year after Evo he picked Guile or Abel or someone on Xian in a Big Two GF and switched back to Sakura real fucking quick after he got slaughtered the first game.

Not defending what happened yesterday or anything, but Chris does pick crazy shit even when he's not in the money. Other peeps not so much.

It's not just about what Chris G does, but what his opponent does as well. If Chris G's opponent is taking the match seriously, then there's no issue. You need two people for collusion to take place. And there's a clear difference between not respecting your opponent and two people not taking grand finals seriously.

Plus you have to consider the timing of the situation also. If they want to mess with other characters, then do it off screen. Don't waste people's time.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
It's not just about what Chris G does, but what his opponent does as well. If Chris G's opponent is taking the match seriously, then there's no issue. You need two people for collusion to take place. And there's a clear difference between not respecting your opponent and two people not taking grand finals seriously.

Plus you have to consider the timing of the situation also.

I don't disagree.

nothingxs

Neo Member
Man we just keep running into each other, don't we? SBO held their tournament in what has to be one of the WORST months for outdoor anything in Japan. Muggy as fuck. Frogs in Markman's booth (no joke, ask him), bugs all over the place. St. Maarten was fucking BEAUTIFUL. Rain might be somewhat of an issue, but that's what the tents/overhangs are for.

Haha, yeah :p

St. Maarten might be beautiful, and while occasional rain, gusts of wind and mosquitoes do not compare to cicadas in arcade cabinets, frogs in booths and mugginess, they are still things you don't want to deal with at all when you're playing video games.

I'm saying: keep the games inside and then bring the party out! That's pretty fair, IMO.

Looking forward to TFC, by the way! I kind of want to travel out there and help out too, but my time budget this year already tried to fit three tournaments and, while I managed it, it was kind of rough.

This whole debate sort of reminds me of an incident that happened back when I still followed pro SC2, where a big name western player (Naniwa) was playing in the GSL (the most competitive league for the game, in Korea), and ended up having to play the final match in his round robin group where neither he nor the other player could possibly advance, therefore producing a meaningless game. He chose to just send all his workers to the opponent's base and got the game over with, but the Koreans flipped their shit because it was absolutely awful showmanship.

A bunch of players and fans came out to defend him (much less than the people criticizing him, though) because it's not technically against the rules to use a bad strategy, and it's an issue with the competitive format to end the night with a pointless game, but eventually cooler heads prevailed on that one. Basically, the fans and the community, either directly through payments or indirectly through attracting sponsors, make the whole thing possible. The big money league, his sponsorship, and just the opportunity to play in Korea were all made possible by people who want to watch matches, so just because it's ultimately irrelevant to the players they still have an obligation to play it out.

Even if ChrisG doesn't give a shit what TOs or Esports or the community thinks about him, they are still the ones providing the venue, the stream, and the pot. Just because he's the one in grand finals doesn't mean that he has the right to basically ruin the tournament for everyone else.

Nyoro SF

Street Fighter X All Capcom - For IOS...
FUCK!
Capcom can't get anything right anymore.

Given Capcom's quality when it comes to these types of phone games (see that autorun Megaman game) I don't think there's much to worry about in terms of this supplanting an actual console-based Capcom All Stars game.

Shito

Basically, the fans and the community, either directly through payments or indirectly through attracting sponsors, make the whole thing possible. The big money league, his sponsorship, and just the opportunity to play in Korea were all made possible by people who want to watch matches, so just because it's ultimately irrelevant to the players they still have an obligation to play it out.
Yup.
This is exactly what Chris G and the people defending the stance of "the player can play however he wants!" don't seem to understand: they're making money thanks to the people watching them play.
That's also why I'm a bit disappointed by Ryan Hart's tweet. :/

catching up with the archives... good on Spooky, did the right thing.

fuck these 2 guys if they can't pick Sakura and Sagat. pot was gonna be split anyways, at least hide it a little and don't clown on Spooky and the viewers.

Mr. X

You can't see SRK and Eventhubs saying they won't post your event on their front page if there's collusion afoot and then try to fuck with Spooky's event. That's not smart. Don't jeopardize the dude broadcasting you to the world.

You can't whine about lack of money and then do something, like collude, that sponsors and investors are not at all fine with happening at the things they are supporting. You're not helping achieve your own goal. You think you're going to get the money before acting right?

I've had in the past before that there is no rule against colluding at most of these things, you can't be mad at it then. Now these things are putting it in the rules and will be enforced and players can't be mad now since they entered and know. It's like entering a single elim tourney, you know what it is going in.

You can't whine about lack of money and then do something, like collude, that sponsors and investors are not at all fine with happening at the things they are supporting. You're not helping achieve your own goal. You think you're going to get the money before acting right?

This.

You can't dick around so blatantly and use "fun" as a defense after whining that payouts are too low and that your precious skills are so undervalued. If players really want to get paid like it's a job, then they need to treat it more like one.

Interesting. Now it's sounding more like VxG doesn't need EMP anymore now that they have the foot in the door and all these relationships built where they can talk directly to the TOs.

I smell a TFC collaboration more than anything (so that they can get those guys to run VxG 2014).

Like I said in the previous week's thread and in F.Champ's stream chat last night, nothing is confirmed by any of us. We want VxG to succeed, but a LOT of things need to be ironed out before we sign on for anything.

Top Bottom