• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 30 - July 6 | Judge, Juri & EGsecutioner

Rhapsody

Banned
Spill the goods please.

60 fps looks so glorious. Despite the slower gameplay (which isn't all that bad), it still feels like GG. It doesn't different how Marvel 2 to 3 was or GG to BB. Easier to capitalize on stuff like CH in this game. I messed around with YRCs a bit. I YRCed jumps to try and whiff punish lol

Ky's changes took a bit to get used to. Like people already know, his Stun Edges are different. S is the regular one, H is stun edge charged, and D is his new move. YRCs with his charged version or with glyphs are pretty good. Gives you empty jump, air dash j.SHS, and even hides your Dust really well. I never tried horizontal follow up from Dust since I forgot.

Ky's air options do not reset after YRCing an air stun edge in this game :(

TV had a little bit of lag, so I couldn't get VT loops going. Tried to combo with his 3H in some combos, but forgot what properly comboed into it besides 6H. Might try out Venom or Millia tomorrow. Xrd Millia looks easy, her combos looked easy to figure out. Venom looks pretty fun and I want to mess with YRCs with him.

Busaiku

Bah, so we won't know how it performs until it launches.
Well, it's still up in the air whether or not I get it.

But I believe.

Silky

Banned
Went to MMCafe to see more into the SNK news. With two fighting game directors back at the helm (being back since as late as November '13) that would give them like ~ 7 months of work time on either 3D KOF and 3D SamSho?

Then again the '3D KOF' leak popped up in around july of last year. So this would potentially be a year of development time for these potential games if everything lines up right. So it wouldn't be /too/ farfetched to expect something to show up around EVO. Still a longball tho

Onemic

I read about that afterwards. Apparently he's the only one who has links like that? I don't know how SF players cope with that. Maybe it's something you get used to over time since I'm used to BB's system where it's pretty much chains/gatlings/whatever.

I'd be glad to. I have about 1h20 mins left as of this post to play before bed. Let me know if you're available (in here).

Spill the goods please.

yup still available, hopefully my internet isnt too bad

Went to MMCafe to see more into the SNK news. With two fighting game directors back at the helm (being back since as late as November '13) that would give them like ~ 7 months of work time on either 3D KOF and 3D SamSho?

Then again the '3D KOF' leak popped up in around july of last year. So this would potentially be a year of development time for these potential games if everything lines up right. So it wouldn't be /too/ farfetched to expect something to show up around EVO. Still a longball tho

I expect 0 new FG announcements at EVO

60 fps looks so glorious. Despite the slower gameplay (which isn't all that bad), it still feels like GG. It doesn't different how Marvel 2 to 3 was or GG to BB. Easier to capitalize on stuff like CH in this game. I messed around with YRCs a bit. I YRCed jumps to try and whiff punish lol

Ky's changes took a bit to get used to. Like people already know, his Stun Edges are different. S is the regular one, H is stun edge charged, and D is his new move. YRCs with his charged version or with glyphs are pretty good. Gives you empty jump, air dash j.SHS, and even hides your Dust really well. I never tried horizontal follow up from Dust since I forgot.

Ky's air options do not reset after YRCing an air stun edge in this game :(

TV had a little bit of lag, so I couldn't get VT loops going. Tried to combo with his 3H in some combos, but forgot what properly comboed into it besides 6H. Might try out Venom or Millia tomorrow. Xrd Millia looks easy, her combos looked easy to figure out. Venom looks pretty fun and I want to mess with YRCs with him.

Thanks for the information. It's good to see more positive impressions of the game. Was there a long line up at the booth/station?

yup still available, hopefully my internet isnt too bad

Alright, I'll fire up my PS3 then.

Rhapsody

Banned
Bah, so we won't know how it performs until it launches.
Well, it's still up in the air whether or not I get it.

But I believe.

I think PS3 version will probably be fine. At worst, I wouldn't be surprised if there might be some stage slowdowns. In Xrd, there's a tournament stage that can be chosen that has nothing really going on in the background. So that could be the go to stage (it looks really boring too!)
Thanks for the information. It's good to see more positive impressions of the game. Was there a long line up at the booth/station?.\
With two setups and winner doesn't stay, I only waited 10 mins maybe. It was best of five and people were learning inputs, but the wait was really short.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Nope, 3d models made with Unreal Engine 3.

Why was Unreal Engine 3 used and not 4?

More evidence that sprites are dead.

Man, I still love sprites, no matter what you say Busaiku.

... :c

still got TGS doe

I honestly expect there to be a couple announcements. A completely new fighting game is extremely likely. Possibly after a top 8 for a game because these viewers are the fans companies want to entice into buying their product. Unless they wanna go to another route, Capcom Cup will be the place to mention everythin!

Rhapsody

Banned
lolwut?

We want a new versus game damn it! Ono knows what we want. He can screw Marvel and just give us Capcom All Stars with the same basic formula!
I'm just joking because the tourney a year (?) before Capcom Cup only revealed SFxMM and nothing else lol

lolwut?

We want a new versus game damn it! Ono knows what we want. He can screw Marvel and just give us Capcom All Stars with the same basic formula!

They already gave us Capcom All-Stars

kw3RBen.png

lolwut?

I really wonder what would replace greats like Magneto and Wolverine, though. I know the playstyles are theoretically there, but does Capcom have the character assets? Could people just forget the Marvel side of the cast and be happy? I would buy the game in a heartbeat, but I would miss Dormammu forever.

Zissou

Any vs. series follow-up is a long ways out (if it comes at all!). I, for one, welcome our new Arc System Works overlords.
I will continue playing marvel though, viva la resistance!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I question how well a Capcom All Stars fighting game will do in the market. Part of me thinks it'll be very refreshing to people, part of me thinks it'll sell pretty poorly.

I question how well a Capcom All Stars fighting game will do in the market. Part of me thinks it'll be very refreshing to people, part of me thinks it'll sell pretty poorly.

It would need to be named something different to All Stars...because of the Playstation one. It would also have to be a really solid and well rounded package.

I don't think they could get away with a mediocre/stripped back game as things currently stand. They'd need to add all the modes and content of something like a MK game, which means it would cost a lot, which probably means it wouldn't get made.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I'm just joking because the tourney a year (?) before Capcom Cup only revealed SFxMM and nothing else lol

Capcom still thinks that was a legitimate attempt at appeasing the fanbase with Megaman.

That idea makes too much sense, thus Capcom won't do it!

I know....

They already gave us Capcom All-Stars

kw3RBen.png

Damn.

I really wonder what would replace greats like Magneto and Wolverine, though. I know the playstyles are theoretically there, but does Capcom have the character assets? Could people just forget the Marvel side of the cast and be happy? I would buy the game in a heartbeat, but I would miss Dormammu forever.

Damn.... Lets hope for some good characters then! Amingo would have fit perfectly in UMVC3.

It'll sell poorly cause it doesn't have Marvel in the name ;_;

It'd be worse than Darkstalkers.

1) Marvel burnt out with a huge portion of the public thanks to the timing of Ultimate.
2) MvC3 used 99% of the Capcom characters the public cares about.
3) Fighting games are already not popular.

What would the game offer people? Sure, I would love a Breath of Fire character, but the general populace has already gotten the characters it cares about in Wesker, Vergil, Zero, etc. There's Megaman, but he can't carry the game alone. How many franchises do westerners care about that Capcom owns? 3?

The FGC would buy it up like crazy and love it because:
1) It would be a fighting game with (theoretically) constant support.
2) It's a Capcom game.
3) It would probably evolve the Marvel subgenre.

I would love to see it happen, but it wouldn't be a killer. The next killer fighting game Capcom has is SFV, and I even doubt that. With the continual updates to SFIV, I wonder if Capcom is cannibalizing the later hype it could create with SFV. Personally, I think that the numerous SFII iterations helped kill SFIII and SFA. I know that, as a kid, they were all "just another Street Fighter" to me. I wouldn't be surprised if the public thought that about SFV, too, and sales were considerably lower than SFIV.

Damn.... Lets hope for some good characters then! Amingo would have fit perfectly in UMVC3.
I will cut you.

More games need to copy the standard put forth by NRS games in terms of content. UMvC3 was an absolute joke in comparison.
Capcom still thinks that was a legitimate attempt at appeasing the fanbase with Megaman.

That's partly because the Mega Man fanbase thinks that any and everything Mega Man is in that isn't a full-fledged brand new game with all the bells and whistles is an insult. Honestly one of the worst fanbases out there.

Seyavesh

clearly the correct answer is to make a marvel superheroes 'sequel' by cribbing literally every single single player content idea from injustice

i just want to play taskmaster more

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

1) Marvel burnt out with a huge portion of the public thanks to the timing of Ultimate.

What would the game offer people? Sure, I would love a Breath of Fire character, but the general populace has already gotten the characters it cares about in Wesker, Vergil, Zero, etc. There's Megaman, but he can't carry the game alone. How many franchises do westerners care about that Capcom owns? 3?

2) It's a Capcom game.

I would love to see it happen, but it wouldn't be a killer. The next killer fighting game Capcom has is SFV, and I even doubt that. With the continual updates to SFIV, I wonder if Capcom is cannibalizing the later hype it could create with SFV. Personally, I think that the numerous SFII iterations helped kill SFIII and SFA. I know that, as a kid, they were all "just another Street Fighter" to me. I wouldn't be surprised if the public thought that about SFV, too, and sales were considerably lower than SFIV.

I will cut you.

Don't cut me!

However, I'd like to say the reason why SFIV was garnered with such high appraise was because the last time a legitimate fighting game that came out in SF was in the 90's. After that was the dark ages and people still played what remained. When the SFIV trailer came out, people cried out in joy that the series wasn't dead. Also, I do agree with SFV being lackluster (unless it goes Marvel's route and just be hype/cheap) since they are constantly updating SFIV and not letting it die down so new hype can built from the drought of a new SF game.

That's partly because the Mega Man fanbase thinks that any and everything Mega Man is in that isn't a full-fledged brand new game with all the bells and whistles is an insult. Honestly one of the worst fanbases out there.

That I can agree with but I think the fanbase feels that way since Capcom hasn't done a fully fledged game in quite a while, possibly years spanning to near a decade (excluding Megaman 10, I'm talking about making a game using Rockman).

Astarte

I remember when Capcom boasted about the single player in MvC3, about how there's going to be a story mode and whatnot. I think that it would have been really rad if they had done that :/

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It would need to be named something different to All Stars...because of the Playstation one. It would also have to be a really solid and well rounded package.

I don't think they could get away with a mediocre/stripped back game as things currently stand. They'd need to add all the modes and content of something like a MK game, which means it would cost a lot, which probably means it wouldn't get made.

2) It's a Capcom game.

I pretty much agree with all of this, but I don't see an all Capcom fighting game being a team fighter necessarily. I think a 1v1 title could be pretty cool, maybe with an extensive list of supporting characters for assists a-la early VS games. Just cram as much fan service as you can into one game. MvC3 was good at that. People will get mad at X [character] not being in or playable no matter what, you may as well use them in some fashion.

clearly the correct answer is to make a marvel superheroes 'sequel' by cribbing literally every single single player content idea from injustice

i just want to play taskmaster more
Please, no. STAR Labs, maybe. Everything else in Injustice' story parts was a piece of shit.

Thores

Please, no. STAR Labs, maybe. Everything else in Injustice' story parts was a piece of shit.

This is basically the exact opposite of my opinion on Injustice's single player content. The story mode and arcade stuff was great, but I felt that STAR Labs' implementation was disappointing. Chiefly a lot of the three-star requirements being tedious/not fun, and the unlockables being not really worth the work involved.

Dahbomb

There is no way a Capcom All Stars game would do worse than a new Darkstalkers game. Character recognition alone would propel it higher.

Just because MVC3/TvC used up the characters doesn't mean it wouldn't generate hype. People would still buy a new fighting game starring Dante/Vergil/Wesker/Zero etc because they have decent fanbases... doesn't matter that they have already played a game with them in it.

It's really all about the package. One character alone doesn't carry these types of games neither does a single franchise but a crap ton of franchises makes a lot of people suddenly aware of the game. Still a lot of untapped potential for characters and it would just increase awareness on Capcom's older IPs.

Even a secondary character of RE and DMC has more recognition than some of the more known characters of Darkstalkers (aside Morrigan I guess). I don't think it would do crazy 5 million numbers but 2 million+ is definitely within the realm of possibility.

This is basically the exact opposite of my opinion on Injustice's single player content. The story mode and arcade stuff was great, but I felt that STAR Labs' implementation was disappointing. Chiefly a lot of the three-star requirements being tedious/not fun, and the unlockables being not really worth the work involved.

Completely agree. I wish those mini-games weren't in the story mode, though.

Top Bottom