• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 30 - July 6 | Judge, Juri & EGsecutioner

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
iCSpHORQmm0uH.gif

Week of June 30th to July 6th, 2014.

Fighting Games Weekly is the weekly discussion thread for all things fighting games. News, events, streams, videos, players, drama, everything fighting game related.

Don't know what to watch right now? Check the FGCPros Twitch Group or Jaxel's Stream Viewer. If you want to watch multiple streams at once, you can use Jaxel's customizable multiviewer as well.

New to FGC-GAF is the FGC-GAF Index which lists the fighting games GAFers plays as a neat reference with some rough statistics to boot. To add yourself to the index, quote this post and use the survey link below. Please remember to save/bookmark the "Edit your response" link so you can edit your responses if/when you buy a game already on the list or a new game that releases in the future.

Last week's thread. An archive of previous FGW threads is available here.​

ibsB0URLCQgTBQ.jpg

Topanga Charity Cup [ Saturday ] [ 12PM JST | 11PM EDT Friday | 8PM PDT Friday ]
  • Topanga's first USFIV brings out an incredible 600 plus entrants in a 5v5 format.
Kings of Cali 4 [ Saturday ] [ 2PM EDT | 11AM PDT ]
  • Leading into EVO is the last big Melee tournament, featuring considerable national and international talent.
  • This event continues through Sunday.
Curleh Mustache Norcal [ Saturday ] [ Thread ]

iUtpKu5GLNKRB.jpg

ioxUdGyPJuiLW.jpg

Every week, FGW will spotlight one GAFer to get a better picture of their history with fighting games, their preferences, and much more. For this week's FGW Player Spotlight, we will be taking a closer look at GAF's best* SF player, jlai!

What fighting games do you currently play, what are your all time favourites and why?
Currently, I am only playing Ultra Street Fighter 4. The SF4 series is by far my favorite and the one that I’ve played and studied the most. It’s definitely fun to revisit all the childhood games that I messed around with and view them within today’s frame of being a strategic fighting game. I’ve done this with Super Turbo, Vampire Savior, Alpha 2/3, etc. Always good times.

Marvel is and always has been fun to mess around with but competitively, it’s just not for me.
What are your favorite mechanics from the current selection of fighting games and why? What are your least favorite and why?
I may not play Marvel competitively, but I do enjoy and appreciate the inventive nature of the game. To further on that, I think X-Factor is cool because it opened the door even more to do crazy things that players are free to explore.

I suppose on that same token, X-Factor is also my least favorite since it can be such a huge comeback mechanic, especially level 3 X-Factor. I guess I have similar issues with Ultra meter building based on how much you’re getting damaged.
What got you into fighting games? Are there any other genre of games you play?
Like many others, I have fond memories of growing up playing Street Fighter 2 on SNES, trying to beat the CPU on various difficulties, and then when I was in junior high/high school going to the local video store playing on the Marvel vs Capcom 1 cabinet there. In my freshmen year of college, one of the guys in my dorm had an Xbox with Marvel 2 and that was the first time I really approached fighting games in a more dedicated, strategic fashion rather than just pressing buttons. Many nights were spent practicing simple Magneto air combos into grav pull into rocks super.

Fast forward to Street Fighter 4 coming out, I bought it for PS3 along with a TE fightstick. I still had trouble using the stick so I didn’t really start grinding hard until vanilla PC came out and I was able to play on keyboard. Growing up playing a lot of first person shooters (shout out to CS 1.6), the muscle memory and finger dexterity provided an easy transition to use the WASD keys for directions for fighting games.

The rest is history and since then I have grown much more accustomed to playing on stick, but still prefer playing on keyboard since my execution is better there. Can’t wait for USF4 PC!

I have also spent a good amount of time playing Dota in the past but at the end of the day I’m always drawn back to fighting games, Street Fighter specifically. Can't beat the simple 1v1 aspect of fighting games where the results depend on you and you only. I really loved what Mike Ross had to say about it before, about how at the elementary level Street fighter is like checkers, but on the advanced level it’s like chess. I couldn’t agree more with that statement and have not only spent countless hours playing the game but also really do enjoy talking street fighter and discussing matchups, game theory, etc.
What is your favorite fighting game character and why?
I’ve liked Makoto ever since I saw videos of her in 3rd strike dealing a shit ton of damage and stun. I pride myself in being able to play a lot of characters but in a tournament setting I definitely would only use Makoto. More on that in the next question.
Describe your style of play, and how do you play (local, online, etc.).
I would describe my play as being very offensive-orientated. I love pulling off option selects (personal favorite is Makoto’s post-hayate dash Karakusa/Fukiage option select) and flashy combos. I was never that hungry to win it all and chase the notoriety or whatever, I just wanted to have fun and hopefully put on a show for people, which I thought Makoto was perfect for anyways.

Living in Los Angeles, I definitely have the resources to play locally but honestly I get lazy considering I have a 9-to-5 self-sponsorship, I mean job. There was a time where I did it semi-consistently as I explain later. So these days it’s just playing online on PC/XBL.
What do you feel are your biggest strengths and weaknesses as a player?
I think execution and reaction time are my biggest strengths. In terms of generally speaking for fighting games, I feel like I can pick up games very quickly and figure out how to play them at a decent level.

My biggest weakness is definitely pressing too hard and not having enough patience. Like I mentioned above being offensive-orientated, many times I push too much chasing the stun and eat a bunch of DPs and what not. I definitely am not following the mantra of pushing less buttons. My defense also sucks.
Best and worst moments in the your fighting game career?
Late 2011/early 2012 was probably when I was the most active in the local scene. That was right around the time when the AE2012 patch was released so I decided I was going to start showing up pretty regularly to WNF and do the tournament scene for a bit. I remember the first time I played on stream at WNF was against Hugo101 and I was able to reaction Ultra 1 a Yun ex lunge punch and also reaction EX Oroshi his attempt to chip me out with Bison EX Scissors. Even though I lost that set 1-2, I was proud of being able to stand toe to toe with one of the WNF’s best as well as put on a show for the people watching.

I guess my best and worst moments were from the same tournament. Soon after that WNF it was SCR 2011 and in pools I was able to defeat iPeru for his first match (who ended up getting 3rd that tourney so big ups to him on that longggg road). It was a really close nail biter so due to the nerves from that I wasn’t really mentally prepared to jump into my next pool match immediately, which I lost to a Bison. I also eliminated FChamp later in pools but then was eventually eliminated by Guile player shortly after. It was unfortunate that I had the momentum beating the top players but then losing to the other players, obviously no disrespect to them.

Following that tourney the LG Cup qualifiers for LA were held to send people to Korea. I actually came about 2 wins short of being sent. I was eliminated by Floe but if I had beaten him I would have faced Marn. If I beat Marn and then lost to Snake Eyez, who would have been the match after, I think I would have finished 5th or 6th. Due to no one having passports I guess by a technicality I would have been sent, which is pretty hilarious thinking back on it.
What do you want from future fighting games?
Street Fighter 5! I’m really curious as to where they will take the series next.​
Who should be on next week's GAF Player Spotlight?
Threi, but he’s probably not going to do it so I guess I’ll pass on to another fellow #gafranbatter who’s active in the threads, Passive Assassin. Or notworksafe. Or mesmerman. Or Saty via satellite.

iknYm15Cbb3g4.jpg

Super Desperation Radio [ 9:30PM EDT | 6:30 PDT ]
  • Hellpockets and various other members of the KoF community discuss KoF and happenings in the FGC.
Gootecks & Mike Ross Show [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • Out of the ashes of Cross Counter Live rises a new discussion show from Gootecks and Mike Ross!
Marvel Mondays [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • Out of the ashes of The BOX Arena, comes the San Diego FGC's newest organized weekly for UMvC3.
UltraChenTV: First Attack & Lv3 Focus [ 11:30PM EDT | 8:30PM PDT ]
  • Weekly FGC show dedicated to match analysis, teaching, commentary, news, debates, and more! Hosted by UltraDavid and James Chen.

i05jU9MTJVOrL.jpg

Kachitagari TV (JP) [ 9PM JST | 8AM EDT | 5AM PDT ]
  • Bon-chan, Kazunoko and Fuudo's new show, focusing primarily on SSFIV AE ranked matches but is branching off into other games as well.
NYC VF [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • NYC VF crew presents VF5:FS tournaments casuals out of The Next Level arcade in Brooklyn.
The Break Weekly [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • New Jersey's largest weekly featuring UMvC3 and Injustice.
The On Blast Show [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • JamessMK & DarKNaTaS host a raw and uncut weekly talk show discussing events in the FGC with various FGC personalities.
UltraChenTV: The Tuesday Show [ 11:30PM EDT | 8:30PM PDT ]
  • Weekly FGC show dedicated to match analysis, teaching, commentary, news, debates, and more! Hosted by UltraDavid and James Chen.
The Show That Sucks [ 1AM EDT (following day) | 10PM PDT ]
  • iPlaywinner hosts a weekly talk show featuring alpha stream monsters Harrison and Honzo Gonzo.

ibeoCQqpoXTtfu.jpg

Game Spot Versus KoF Casuals (JP) [ 7PM JST | 6AM EDT | 3AM PDT ]
  • KoF 1998UM, KoF 2002UM and KoF XIII C action from Japan.
TOPANGA TV (JP) [ 9PM JST | 8AM EDT | 5AM PDT ]
  • Description needed.
Next Level Battle Circuit [ 8PM EDT | 4PM PDT ]
  • NYC's biggest weekly at The Next Level Arcade in Brooklyn featuring SSFIV AE, UMvC3 and TTT2. If the Teamsp00ky link is not working, it is likely on the backup stream on Arturo's channel.
Wednesday Night Fights [ 12AM EDT (following day) | 9PM PDT ]

ibuSEViyvaW6s2.jpg

HBTB Live [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • Hold Back To Block hosts a weekly roundtable discussion of various happenings in the FGC.
Melee It On Me [ 9PM EDT | 6PM PDT ]
  • A bi-weekly Smash podcast discussing recent events, news and issues in the Smash community, hosted by Scar, Prog, Cactuar and Sheridan.
Ghost Battle Series [ 9PM CST | 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • Galloping Ghost Arcade presents an Injustice weekly out of Chicago.
The Fray [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • A weekly FGC talk show hosted by iPlaywinner, featuring a varying, ensemble cast of prominent members of the fighting game community.
ATP LIVE! [ 11PM EDT | 8PM PDT ]
  • Aris' new weekly show, discussing whatever he wants to! The format resembles old ATP podcasts.
The Runback Season 4 [ 12AM EDT (following day) | 9PM PDT ]
  • The UMvC3 and KoF XIII branch of Wednesday Night Fights also hosted at Super Arcade in Walnut, California.

iUsCIlMTxirgq.jpg

The Smash Break Bi-Weekly [ 6PM EDT | 3PM PDT ]
  • The Break hosts a new Melee bi-weekly to replace Rokunaya Bi-Weeklies which are ending.
Thank God It's Team Stickbug [ 7PM EDT | 4PM PDT ]
  • Arturo streams a BlazBlue and Guilty Gear bi-weekly out of Next Level arcade in Brooklyn.
KaoTV! (JP) [ 11PM JST | 10AM EDT | 7AM PDT ]
SALTY! [ 11PM EDT | 8PM PDT ]
  • A weekly Skullgirls event hosted by members of the Skullgirls development team, often featuring preview builds of the game.

iDFzpxKo67pi.jpg

Rebel Up [ Secondary ] [ 7PM EDT | 4PM PDT ]
  • Super Arcade's anime bi-weekly, featuring GG, BB, P4A, SG, Gundam and older anime games as well.

ibviiDfGbYQe8.jpg

GGPO VanBats [ 4PM EDT | 1PM PDT ]
  • Weekly GGPO Vampire Savior ranbats streamed by GAFer Rotanibor.
Super Smash Sundays [ 4PM EDT | 1PM PDT ]
  • Level|Up and Team OXY partner up to create a new weekly for the SoCal Melee community, featuring doubles and singles.

ixwKqL3HDm2tG.jpg

On GAF we have various members that stream fighting games from time to time too. If you would like to add your channel to this thread, send me a PM.
Additionally, if you want to really get involved, you may want to check out the various OTs for specific games:
GAF isn't the only FG community in town though. Here are a whole bunch of other FG communities across the internet that may be of interest:
  • 8WayRun - Soul Calibur franchise community
  • DOACentral - Dead or Alive franchise community
  • Dream Cancel - King of Fighters franchise community and resource, more US-centric
  • Dustloop - Forums/community for Arc System Works-developed games
  • Eventhubs - Frequently updated news blog, resource and forums for all things fighting games
  • FreeStepDodge - Dead or Alive franchise community
  • Homing Cancel - Arcana Heart community
  • iPlaywinner - Large fighting game news site and resource, and the home to Teamsp00ky and iPlaywinner
  • Jet Upper - UK-centric news source and community
  • Mayonaka Midnight - Persona 4 Arena community and resource
  • Melty Bread - Melty Blood community
  • Mizuumi - A resource for various "poverty" games
  • Orochinagi - King of Fighters franchise community and resource, more EU-centric
  • Reddit Fighters - Reddit's own fighting game community subreddit
  • Shoryuken - The largest FG community and multigame resource on the web, with a large Capcom games community
  • Skullheart - fan Skullgirls community and resource made official
  • TekkenZaibatsu - Tekken franchise community
  • Test Your Might - Mortal Kombat and Injustice community and resource
  • UKFGC - UK-centric news source and community
  • Smash Boards - The largest Smash Bros. Community™
  • VFDC - Virtua Fighter franchise community site

- - -

If you have any suggestions for the OP, please do not hesitate to post in this thread or PM me to let me know.

Justin Factor: Make marvelous comebacks with only pixels

Infiltration factor: Completely overwhelm your opponent when in losers of GF's

Daigo factor: well
ibcK7ueUfrIksd.gif

How much of SFIV, Marvel, and KI were Dimps, Eighting, and Double Helix respectively responsible for as opposed to Capcom and Microsoft? I'm talkin' the actual game design of those titles versus asset creation, coding, etc.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Alright EVO is after this week. Will the people with expertise in the main games PM me what you know is going on. What, when, why, etc. Rev for instance is the Smash guy. I can handle the Capcom games myself, but the rest will need some work.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
How much of SFIV, Marvel, and KI were Dimps, Eighting, and Double Helix respectively responsible for as opposed to Capcom and Microsoft? I'm talkin' the actual game design of those titles versus asset creation, coding, etc.
Pretty sure the producers/directors and combat designers were all Capcom employees for SFIV and Marvel.

Poongko on twitter said he's not going to EVO

At least that's what BASED translate on twitter says

LEE CHUNG GON ‏@efpoongko 3m
올해 EVO2014 는 참가하지 않는걸로 결정됬습니다. 준비가 부족했기 때문입니다. 당분간 계속 일을 할것입니다.

Silky

Banned

Double Helix had the base combat design for KI, and Microsoft refined the combat system if I remeber correctly.

Capcom had it's directors/producers but the grunt work/coding was all by Dimps/Eighting

Poongko on twitter said he's not going to EVO

At least that's what BASED translate on twitter says

I remember reading that he set up some kind of fund raiser to get him to EVO last month or early this month. But how can you expect the money to get raised without getting on stream and playing a lot. He did that a lot last year I think(via Cafe ID), this year he barely showed up on stream. It's too bad but he's gotta put in some work if he wants people to donate.

And where has Team MCZ been lately? I know Daigo rarely shows up to anything outside of EVO and local stuff nowadays but I figure Mago and Tokido would show up to more events. But outside of ID Global and SEA Major(both of which are short trips compared to America) I don't think the 3 have attended anything else this year.

OceanBlue

they're probably too busy running the topanga tournaments in japan.

Oh I completely forgot about those. That makes a lot of sense lol. The Topanga Charity Cup is this weekend too.

There was some recent footage of one of the Taito area tournaments streamed by Ogrelive over the weekend. It should probably show up on Youtube at one point since they're uploading the semifinals to their channel. I only watched the beginning since I was at CEO, but it seemed like there were a lot of good players like Mago (the reason I bring this up lol), Dath, Dogura, Score, KoujiKOG, and Shimauta. They aren't up yet though; it'll be the Kansai videos. Also, they're interesting because, instead of the typical BO1 single-elim format, they're FT3 double-elim tournaments.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
I have fully let my smug fanboyism wash over me, he's now my avatar.

I hope his showing at EVO is as good (or better) as it was this weekend.

NEO0MJ

And place where I can easily rewatch CEO?

Justin Factor: Make marvelous comebacks with only pixels

Infiltration factor: Completely overwhelm your opponent when in losers of GF's

Daigo factor: well
ibcK7ueUfrIksd.gif

Wait, what?! This isn't really Daigo and Gamerbee, is it?

malts

And where has Team MCZ been lately? I know Daigo rarely shows up to anything outside of EVO and local stuff nowadays but I figure Mago and Tokido would show up to more events. But outside of ID Global and SEA Major(both of which are short trips compared to America) I don't think the 3 have attended anything else this year.

Tokido was at Northwest Majors and brought the hype in a couple different games. And Daigo was at Dreamhack (source of the GamerBee gif, I believe). But your point still stands that they've been strangely absent.

These DPs in PR Rog vs. Ricky are just ugly. Plain as day what Eduardo wants to do, but the game just won't obey and can't be made to.

onionfrog

Nice interview Jlai. I feel you on not having as much time to go out to events and play due to your 9-5 self sponsorship job.

I don't think I could play Street Fighter on keyboard.
Someone put the maraca signal out and see if Threi wants to do the spotlight or not.
/DEAD

Did I miss any good marvel at CEO? I was stuck in that Steam Summer Sale vortex all week.

Nice interview Jlai. I feel you on not having as much time to go out to events and play due to your 9-5 self sponsorship job.

I don't think I could play Street Fighter on keyboard.

/DEAD

Did I miss any good marvel at CEO? I was stuck in that Steam Summer Sale vortex all week.
Want to play something?

damn I really wished the internet/friday schedule didn't backfire so we could see the events. Sucks that happened.

I was so confused on sunday when I thought jchen and yipes were saying rubecks and not scrubecks

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
i can't MTE

there's a challenge in 4EVO to hit 3 escapes with 4 buffered throw escapes. at my best id hit 3, but usually I'd just hit 2 or 1.

old option selects so hard

Top Bottom