• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | March 4-10 | The Empire Strikes Black

I'd like to see Yipes' team tier list if he gets around to making it. He said on Bum's stream that he wants to. He named off four or so teams that would be at the top of the list, and his spencer/vergil/hawkeye was either first or second.

Spencer top 3?

Almost as bad as Vergil being the best in the game.

Thor criminally low on FChamp's tier list, he bodies everyone below him plus a bunch of characters above him. FChamo will probably bump him up when he gets bodied by him in a tournament.
I think Spencer is ridiculously good. Yipes plays Spencer, so it's hard to say he's biased when he plays him at a high level.

I'd like to see Yipes' team tier list if he gets around to making it. He said on Bum's stream that he wants to. He named off four or so teams that would be at the top of the list, and his spencer/vergil/hawkeye was either first or second.
YES FINALLY!

Azure J

I'm pretty much at the point where I've tuned out most tier lists made for Marvel. Even if the individual ranking used in most tier lists wasn't already enough to make you question the commentary made on them (because teams setups will always change/influence things during a match in progress), some things just seem too kneejerk.

Then there's also the idea that you can lead a horse to water but can't make them drink. I'll never get why Spencer is so highly regarded beyond damage:ease of use/consistency.

kirblar

Spencer top 3?

We agree on this one.

I'm pretty much at the point where I've tuned out most tier lists made for Marvel. Even if the individual ranking used in most tier lists wasn't already enough to make you question the commentary made on them (because teams setups will always change/influence things during a match in progress), some things just seem too kneejerk.

Then there's also the idea that you can lead a horse to water but can't make them drink. I'll never get why Spencer is so highly regarded beyond damage:ease of use/consistency.
Spencer's in the Zero/Wesker camp of having problematic movement. He's a good character, but at the tippy top levels he faces a nasty metagame issue.

Dahbomb

These top players need to get together and really brainstorm these tier lists thoroughly. There is just so many inconsistencies among the top players. It's pretty clear how heavily personal bias and experiences shape these tier list especially with the difference in the meta game of the two coasts. Yipes gets bodied by Zero because all of his characters and team get owned by him so he puts him at best where as Vergil beats all of FChamp's characters so he puts him as the best. Yipes doesn't even put in Magneto as top 5...

Azure J

We agree on this one.

Spencer's in the Zero/Wesker camp of having problematic movement. He's a good character, but at the tippy top levels he faces a nasty metagame issue.

I dunno about Zero having problematic movement (to be notable enough anyways), but I see where you're coming from.

These top players need to get together and really brainstorm these tier lists thoroughly. There is just so many inconsistencies among the top players. It's pretty clear how heavily personal bias and experiences shape these tier list especially with the difference is the meta game. Yipes gets bodied by Zero because all of his characters and team get owned by him so he puts him at best where as Vergil beats all of FChamp's characters so he puts him as the best. Yipes doesn't even put in Magneto as top 5...

Yipes is my favorite stream personality and he has sound personal reasoning (if not reasoning that can be universally agreed upon) for his opinions, but to give this some context, he swears that Vanilla Dante was not busted at all.

These top players need to get together and really brainstorm these tier lists thoroughly. There is just so many inconsistencies among the top players. It's pretty clear how heavily personal bias and experiences shape these tier list especially with the difference is the meta game. Yipes gets bodied by Zero because all of his characters and team get owned by him so he puts him at best where as Vergil beats all of FChamp's characters so he puts him as the best. Yipes doesn't even put in Magneto as top 5...

Yeah, lists done by a single player will always have these glaring abnormalities. You need a group of the top 5 or so Marvel 3 players to sit down and have a good, well thought out discussion on character placement for a Marvel 3 tier list to actually be really accurate.

But that won't happen.

Zukuu

Banned
Yeah, lists done by a single player will always have these glaring abnormalities. You need a group of the top 5 or so Marvel 3 players to sit down and have a good, well thought out discussion on character placement for a Marvel 3 tier list to actually be really accurate.

But that won't happen.

You always could just apply a rating system and mix the tier lists of all the "pro players" together.

Azure J

Wesker moves around like he's on grease and Zero is a bitch to catch.

I understand Wesker and Spencer's "mobility issue" mostly because the most dominant force in the current meta are projectile traps/trap based teams (or team in Morrigan/Doom). What do the two of them have to either prevent it from happening ASAP or moving as unhindered as possible through the mess of things when the offense gets started? What do they have to catch the person chucking things when they don't have air mobility or means to lame out the mess and how much do you have to invest health wise (patiently taking chip/full fireballs or other such things) to see a return (a solid hitconfirm), let alone a good return (character KO)?

Dahbomb

The meta game he is talking about is the Morrigan/Doom combo. Basically Kirblar is saying that whoever gets bodied by that combo shouldn't be the best/top 5. Only every single character in the game gets bodied by it hardcore and it isn't a Zero exclusive problem.

To me Zero and Morrigan are similar types of characters in that they are comfortable super jumping around and throwing projectiles under cover of an assist with occasional rushdown. The difference between the two is that Zero has a superior throw game, superior mix ups, superior damage, superior pressure but inferior "filling up screen with fireballs" ability. Zero can get in your face instantly with his command dash where as Morrigan has no fast dash option.

Infinite

Then again the concept of tiers is always heavily opinionated and tiers themselves are subject to change as the metagame goes on.

kirblar

All 3 are weak to the top-tier Dorm/Mag/Morrigan/Missiles style spam. (Of course, the Chris-Dash tech has the potential to bust open the tiers at the top end, but we'll have to wait and see.)

Dahbomb

If Yipes makes a team tier list, I will listen.
Well he listed his own team as #1 or #2 so I really doubt that's going to be that accurate anyway.

Last time Viscant made a team tier list it was made obsolete within a few weeks when ChrisG put together his current team.... as expected since team compositions change periodically although we are getting to a stage where we are getting closer to end game teams.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Then again the concept of tiers is always heavily opinionated and tiers themselves are subject to change as the metagame goes on.
Yep. I wouldn't trust even a team of players to make a tier list, because it seems to be an echo chamber of ignorance when you hear top players talk about the metagame. People make conjectures based on not knowing stuff about characters. For the most part, there is a good foundation, but sometimes they stretch it far based on their experience or lack of experience in cases.

Yipes and Viscant are susceptible too to this, but I trust them most.

Dahbomb

Yep. I wouldn't trust even a team of players to make a tier list, because it seems to be an echo chamber of ignorance when you hear top players talk about the metagame. People make conjectures based on not knowing stuff about characters. For the most part, there is a good foundation, but sometimes they stretch it far based on their experience or lack of experience in cases.

Yipes and Viscant are susceptible too to this, but I trust them most.
The thing about having a group of players is that it serves as a rudimentary check and balance system. So if someone like Fanatiq says some crap like MODOK is top 5 the rest of the players will start talking about his numerous weaknesses and at least try to justify against it. You need numerous insights on various characters both from players who play the characters and those who play against them.

Chavelo

Hey, GAF. Who would win a 5v5 for the best online marvel community? GAF, 4Chan, Reddit or the OG himself, SRK? :3

Dahbomb

Hey, GAF. Who would win a 5v5 for the best online marvel community? GAF, 4Chan, Reddit or the OG himself, SRK? :3
SRK has top tournament placing players so that answer is obvious.

Against Reddit and 4Ch I like GAF free.

I want to see GFaqs vs GAF though.

Chavelo

Okay, let's take out SRK. Or actually, leave SRK with the only condition that the players available to join the 5v5 will be the online warriors that bitch all the time on the comment section on the front page articles.

Also, let's add GFaqs in the mix for some reason. Never really heard of them and their skill in Marvel play.

Dahbomb

They don't like playing online though, which is the key word. Every player that I've played from SRK has been asscheeks. And GAF has seen how I play, so that's saying something.
People like DiosX, DrewGrimey and MegamanSteve are SRK regulars though so its hard to quantify which players would represent the communities. I mean we can use Clockwork for GAF...

Lol

And Reddit has a Marvel community? Is it just people that are also on here to some extent or something?

Anyways, I'd probably rank SRK > Gaf > GameFAQs > the rest
I'll take GFAQs over GAF. I'm probably the only person here who has played enough people from both websites to judge that.

People like DiosX, DrewGrimey and MegamanSteve are SRK regulars though so its hard to quantify which players would represent the communities. I mean we can use Clockwork for GAF...
The rule would have to be about regulars, or oldest website they belong to, or something. Clockw0rk has been on SRK for way longer than GAF.

Azure J

I get bodied regularly by SRK heads (most prominently AceKillah) who I think are equivalent to our upper tier/MAHVEL tier (Frantic, Sixfortyfive, Biz), haven't seen any other faction go at it with us though, except for that one time that Dante/Zero/Vergil dude from GFaqs I think came to Kadey's channel and ripped our shit open.

I like SRK's online warriors over us, but I feel like the right team combo from us would put us about even. That and I'm Team GAF before anything else.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
my marvel tier list cuz fuck it

jC1k2No0rm1MV.jpg

Wesker is the one im most unsure about.

i wanna put em higher, but motherfuckers are in the way....

Solune

Spencer top 3?

Thor criminally low on FChamp's tier list, he bodies everyone below him plus a bunch of characters above him. FChamo will probably bump him up when he gets bodied by him in a tournament.

Who's gonna body Fchamp with Thor though? I mean WHO has the skill level on a national level that can compete with Fchamp AND uses Thor. I can't name any.

Top Bottom