• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 12-18 | The Bracket Racket

So BradyGames is gonna be making and releasing a USF4 bible for August that comes with full frame data, complete hitboxes for every character, combos, tactics, etc.

Beckx

So BradyGames is gonna be making and releasing a USF4 bible for August that comes with full frame data, complete hitboxes for every character, combos, tactics, etc.

I hope that's not Capcom's rationale for not putting that stuff in game, so that they can sell it to a guide company.

Nyoro SF

and it'll still be over priced and useless after the first week.

Yeah after MvC3 I don't purchase guides anymore.

new hit box pictures will be be really useful. even if they change a few later on, the majority will remain the same and you'll still have a point of reference for future changes

Capcom could also put in a hitbox viewer, that they've already implemented via debug, meaning it would be piss easy to include....

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
"It was a mistake, but we totally would've gotten off scot-free if that picture didn't exist."
Unfortunately, this is what I got from LI Joe's statement too.

I hope that's not Capcom's rationale for not putting that stuff in game, so that they can sell it to a guide company.
I think Capcom just doesn't want to make the backend for that sort of thing, especially if certain things end up being wrong and they can't blame it on being a printing error, etc.

Infinite

Unfortunately, this is what I got from LI Joe's statement too.

I think Capcom just doesn't want to make the backend for that sort of thing, especially if certain things end up being wrong and they can't blame it on being a printing error, etc.

Nah. It's about the money. Can't hate on capcom for creating an artificial revenue stream.

Shito

Like idk it's too good considering she can combo off it and she's airborne while it's happening.
Shhh!
Or else Q and I will have no choice but to silence you!
And she already lost her cancellable sweep so it's okay, that makes her Hugo-tier now...

Dahbomb

LMAO.... what?

They do it for the money... not due to some candy ass reason like that.

Infinite

If they're making money off it then ain't nothing artificial about it

Artificial as in this stuff could be on the game. You can have hitboxes displayed and frame data in the game like Injustice and Skull Girls. Alternatively they can give the information to SRK and Eventhubs. It's an artificial revenue stream because it's fucking contrives a solution to a problem they create.

kirblar

Do any other characters besides Poison have comboable standing overheads in SF4? I know a ton of the Tekken cast did in SFxT and it feels like a relic of that game.

We could of put all the names on a dartboard, blind folded ourselves, threw some darts and did the bracket like that. There is usually more to a story then what people know. Until you are standing in our shoes, most won't understand.

What does this mean?

Props to Capcom for stepping up. With responses like this it seems like they don't actually get it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Nah. It's about the money. Can't hate on capcom for creating an artificial revenue stream.
If it's about the money, I think it would be better invested into another bullet point they can add to USF4, a fairly big one at that, to attract lapsed players. As it stands I can't imagine any significant amount of people will be buying the Brady guide. Maybe if it has frame data for every version of every character, but even still.

Tik-Tok

Exactly that. He doesn't get it.

Of course he gets it. What's he's saying is that everyone who's complaining about this are the ones who actually dont get it because this is happening ALL THE TIME.

Think about it, you go to a tournament and you're told what pool you're in. You don't necessarily know how the bracket shakes out on the larger scale.

What often is happening is that shit is reseeded afterwords.

I will concede after reading one of the Canon brothers responses saying that you're basically making the rich richer by reseeding after pools based on who comes out of them that this is a good point. However that's not always how or what things are reseeded. Often things are reseeded because it will make more interesting matches, or like in the most recent case, so two people who play each other often don't have to do that.

If you think about pools like their own separate tournament that qualify you for the big boy tournament it's a lot easier to swallow the concept of reseeding.

I concede that it's not worth the drama, and headaches that it seems to be creating, but you can really get some interesting matches by reseeding.

Saying that it happens all the time doesn't make it acceptable. I've gone to over 20 majors in the past 3 years. Reshuffling the brackets is not common. It's not accepted to reshuffle for teammates and it's certainly not accepted to reshuffle for "more interesting matches". This isn't happening in the NRS community. If it's happening in the Capcom community then it needs to stop.

It's not like who you play out of pools is a big mystery. Most good tournaments let you know how the pools connect. I always plan ahead for the various likely paths after pools.

DONJONJ

Neo Member
"It was a mistake, but we totally would've gotten off scot-free if that picture didn't exist."

Yeah that's what I got, but that's not actually true. The mapping from Pools to Top 32 should be known before the tournament even begins, and it's easy to verify if the TO's followed through with it. There's seriously no good reason to withhold this information.

Any competitive player that travels to these events should know where you are in the bracket and where you might end up. If you're told the brackets aren't "finalized" until after all pools are completed that is BS.

Tik-Tok

Yeah that's what I got, but that's not actually true. If the mapping from Pools to Top 32 were known beforehand, it's easy to verify if the TO's followed through with it. There's seriously no good reason to withhold this information.

Any competitive player that travels to these events should know where you are in the bracket and where you might end up. If you're told the brackets aren't "finalized" until after all pools are completed that is BS.

Brackets often AREN'T though. People register late, and get put in to pools that haven't ran yet where there's byes and shit all the time.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
BnoM-GqIAAEoqHG.png

kirblar

Of course he gets it. What's he's saying is that everyone who's complaining about this are the ones who actually dont get it because this is happening ALL THE TIME.

Think about it, you go to a tournament and you're told what pool you're in. You don't necessarily know how the bracket shakes out on the larger scale.

I will concede after reading one of the Canon brothers responses saying that you're basically making the rich richer by reseeding after pools based on who comes out of them that this is a good point. However that's not always how or what things are reseeded. Often things are reseeded because it will make more interesting matches, or like in the most recent case, so two people who play each other often don't have to do that.

If you think about pools like their own separate tournament that qualify you for the big boy tournament it's a lot easier to swallow the concept of reseeding.

I concede that it's not worth the drama, and headaches that it seems to be creating, but you can really get some interesting matches by reseeding.
And the goal should not be "interesting matches" for you to get off to. It should be a fair tournament.

Tik-Tok

And the goal should not be "interesting matches" for you to get off to. It should be a fair tournament.

There's nothing unfair about making Pool 1 face Pool 3 instead of Pool 2. Maybe it's Lazy, cause you could have did it in the first place at the beginning but it's not unfair.

Brackets often AREN'T though. People register late, and get put in to pools that haven't ran yet where there's byes and shit all the time.

Yes but you can still see a coherent path through the brackets. The pattern of pool 1 plays 8, 2 plays 7 and so on will be consistent.

The only tournaments where you can't figure out your path in the bracket and plan for the possibilities are the shitty ones. Mostly on the East Coast. Sorry but it's true.

For the well organized tournaments you can totally plan ahead. For something like EVO I have all the possible paths memorized. I will know which top players are likely to play and who I should prepare for.

Kumubou

I can't speak for other tournaments, but I know that with any tournament I ever ran with pools, match-ups for the final bracket were determined ahead of time. Anyone that's seen the full bracket knows the set of players they could be playing. I know Evo is run the same way (all of the quarterfinal and semifinal brackets are preassigned pool qualifiers in a specific order). It's more transparent that way. If you reseed at top 32, what standard are you using? How can anyone predict the assignments? Granted they could play games with the initial seeding, but the fewer times the bracket is touched, the less chances for a mistake.

Evo handles this right IMO. Initial seeding is done by rank and by location (by an algorithm using zip codes that more tournaments should adopt IMO), the brackets are published online and adjustments are then made based on public feedback, and all of these changes are publicly available as well. Only issue with that is that you have to cut off registration two weeks ahead of the event.

Tik-Tok

Yes but you can still see a coherent path through the brackets. The pattern of pool 1 plays 8, 2 plays 7 and so on will be consistent.

The only tournaments where you can't figure out your path in the bracket and plan for the possibilities are the shitty ones. Mostly on the East Coast. Sorry but it's true.

For the well organized tournaments you can totally plan ahead. For something like EVO I have all the possible paths memorized. I will know which top players are likely to play and who I should prepare for.

No offense but your tournaments are 1/4 of the size. It's much easier to manage.

Top Bottom