• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 18-24 | Forget it Jake, it's Capcom Town

jbug617

Banned
CFVUlZjUUAINhb0.jpg

Wait...Aquapazza has a scene in the west? Thats the one made up of various anime show characters isn't it? Kinda curious what sort of system mechanics it has...

Was just on sale, shoulda copped it.

I wasn't paying attention, what's this about 3v3 tournaments?

Xrd and BB gonna have some mystery 3v3 side tourneys at Evo officially sanctioned by ASW.

Who wants to carry me? I need teams for both games

Kumubou

Come see me offline!!!

There's also going to be a officially sanctioned 3v3 team tournament for GGXrd sponsored by ArcSys and Aksys -- but the official rules and prizes are TBD.
The winning teams will be flown out to Japan... for Japanese Taco Bell.

Wait...Aquapazza has a scene in the west? Thats the one made up of various anime show characters isn't it? Kinda curious what sort of system mechanics it has...
There really isn't much of a scene for it in the US (NorCal does have a couple of decent players, though). The system mechanics are fairly straightforward though -- it's much closer to a traditional fighter than most anime fighters, although it does have assists (but they're not nearly as nutty -- or as frequent -- as UMvC3 assists).

It's also a real good object lesson in why you don't make the grappler S-tier in a fighting game. :x

Crocodile

I think I remember there were some Power Stone fans in here? This thread (and this kickstarter) showed up today. Still looks early but has promise I feel though I figure Power Stone vets would have a better feel on how its coming along. There also seems to be a demo too. I really like the character designs though the arenas need some work still IMO.

Oh my gawd how the hell have I missed this glorious by Viscant session at UFGTX all this time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc30fIs2tQQ

It was made a year ago but it's as relevant today as it was a year ago. He basically marks exactly where the shift from "Marvel is hype... 2nd only to SF4!" to "Marvel is dead" happened and he blames it directly on when Capcom officially announced there would be no patch. He even brings up some of the changes recommended in the GAF theory patch (Wesker Jaguar teleport cancel was my idea!).

Also some choice quotes in there like:

"PRRog trashes the game a lot in public and states he doesn't play it much but in fact he plays the game a lot. He told me in private "Jay... Marvel is my favorite game!"

Thanks for the link. I'll give it a listen at work tomorrow.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
In case anyone is interested...

We will have PS4 USF4 TE2 FightSticks in stock on Mad Catz' web store this coming Friday at 12 noon PST to coincide with the first day of Combo Breaker. We'll have some for sale (including the P4U2 version) at Combo Breaker as well.

Also at Combo Breaker, we will have TEKKEN 7 playable at the Mad Catz booth. This is the latest build with Yoshimitsu AND Jack-7. If you can't make it you can still watch all the action on stream (channel TBA).

^_^

Mr. X

In case anyone is interested...

We will have PS4 USF4 TE2 FightSticks in stock on Mad Catz' web store this coming Friday at 12 noon PST to coincide with the first day of Combo Breaker. We'll have some for sale (including the P4U2 version) at Combo Breaker as well.

Also at Combo Breaker, we will have TEKKEN 7 playable at the Mad Catz booth. This is the latest build with Yoshimitsu AND Jack-7. If you can't make it you can still watch all the action on stream (channel TBA).

^_^

How much are they on site?

Thores

Hype to attend CB2015. Cant wait try some Chicago trademark foods.

I'll be there too! On Friday and Sunday anyway, Saturday I have to be at a wedding.

I pretty much gambled by entering Mystery Game and USF4 pools and hoping that I don't get entered in any Saturday brackets... but even if it turns out I can't play, I wanna support the event. They have tons of cool shit going on this year, and I want to give them money so that they will do the cool shit again next year and I can go all three days.

Kumubou

Someone's getting paid at AnimEvo this year.

For people that don't know: GO1 was considered to be the best Melty Blood player in the world for a long stretch of time (although I don't think he plays much anymore), won Aquapazza at SBO in 2011, and is extremely strong in UNIEL and DBFC, as well.

That also makes the MBCC tournament the most free thing I have ever seen in my life. D:

Zissou

Actually, I think the entire activity of trying to declare games "dead" or "thriving" misses the point. The exercise itself is harmful to the entire community.

MKX came out, and instead of celebrating a new popular game, everyone is arguing about bullsh*t.

"Look! MKX stream numbers are higher, SF4 is dead!"

"No, SF4 stream numbers are high, too! It's not dead, MKX will die in a few months!"

"KI tourney numbers are dying, DOA should have taken its place at EVO."

"Nobody plays DOA, it's dead."

We have troll articles on SRK front page weekly trying to get everyone on the MKX hype train, while simultaneously trying to crap on SF4 ("Move over SF4! MKX is headlining ECT!")

We have troll EH articles ranking games by their tourney entry numbers, and SURPRISE, SURPRISE, the comment section is filled with members of the same fighting game "community" tearing each other apart.

Meanwhile, in Japan you can easily find weekly streams of old games, new games, 2D games, 3D games, and everything in between. They just play. And, as a result they just get good at everything.
Not just some guy bringing a setup to EVO once a year. Mikado arcade, for example, has an ongoing ranking league for all sorts of old games. Mikado, in general, is just awesome: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPrifqgoJmq7UgmRkZUKTJQ

Heck, Japan just had a huge UMvC3 tourney a couple weeks back, while people in the US were proclaiming Marvel dead.

I think the Western FGC "death" culture needs to, well....die. It doesn't have to be this way, at all.

This is a great post- agree 100%.

Top Bottom