• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Nov 24-30 | Fighting Geriatrics Community

Maybe, depends on the crowd. KoF XI players love setplay. Wouldn't be surprised if Iori players did too just because of hard knockdown off rekkas.

Iori player here, guilty :p

I think a part of why SF4 setplay is so hated because it doesn't feel as organic. Like, with Iori I can just do rekkas, jump at the poor sod and make him guess. Has a different feel to it than perfect frame kills into unblockable. Same with eg, Zato pressure. It doesn't feel as robotic, even if the end result is the same.

Kimosabae

Banned
Any good competitive game is going to have its set-play aspects. Only whiney people who lack the discipline enough to practice that aspect of the game, will express hate towards it.

But they want to have their cake and eat it, too, so they'll play grappler characters and talk a lot of about "fundamentals" and "footsies" in hopes to devalue set-play and inflate their self-worth, despite set-play being just as fundamental to a game as footsies (and their characters).

Don't think I'm talking about anyone in this thread, because the attitude is as old as time itself in the FGC.

Set-play is part of the athleticism in fighting games. You don't want to devalue that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls7oOxUBbYQ

<3

Any good competitive game is going to have its set-play aspects. Only whiney people who lack the discipline enough to practice that aspect of the game, will express hate towards it.

But they want to have their cake and eat it, too, so they'll play grappler characters and talk a lot of about "fundamentals" and "footsies" in hopes to devalue set-play and inflate their self-worth, despite set-play being just as fundamental to a game as footsies (and their characters).

Don't think I'm talking about anyone in this thread, because the attitude is as old as time itself in the FGC.

Set-play is part of the athleticism in fighting games. You don't want to devalue that.

I don't remember who it was, but someone here put it well when he said that fighting games revolve around guaranteed damage.

vulva

Viper player

Kimosabae

Banned
wpid-2096672_o1.gif

The horse is dead, folks. It's been reanimated and beaten to death again a couple times already. The joke is tired beyond belief. Just stop.

Kimosabae

Banned
The horse is dead, folks. It's been reanimated and beaten to death again a couple times already. The joke is tired beyond belief. Just stop.

DeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbad DeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbad DeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbad DeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbad
DeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbad DeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbad DeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbaDeejayisbadDeejayisbadHAHAHAHAHAHAHPLEASETELLMEAREYOUFINDTHISFUNNYYET??????LOLOLOLLOL

DeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbad DeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbad DeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbad DeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbad
DeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbad DeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbad DeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbadDeejayisbaDeejayisbadDeejayisbadHAHAHAHAHAHAHPLEASETELLMEAREYOUFINDTHISFUNNYYET??????LOLOLOLLOL

you want me to start uploading them replays
kttcolilolbron

Lol @ PR Rog and Ricky Ortiz facing each other first round at Capcup.

Sayad

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";140996089]Man, it's really too bad sako isn't coming to Capcom Cup. His elena is nuts.[/QUOTE]It's probably for the best if you don't want them nerfing her.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
At no point did I say that speed and technicality are the ONLY things that make a game competitive. That thought is clearly flawed in many ways. There are obviously many facets to a fighting game like reading moves, controlling space, and mind games.

My argument was that some of the most popular and longest lasting fighting games have had facets of gameplay such as speed and technicality that were ESSENTIAL to their success. I based my argument on three of the most popular fighting games that have either A) lasted a very long time as a popular fighting game or B) Drew in the most crowds at tournament level ... Super Smash Bros. Melee(Released in 2001) and the Marvel vs. Capcom 2(released in 2000), MVC3/UMVC3(released in 2011). It is no secret that on major tournament streams, these three fighting titans draw in the masses and are still heavily played at major tournament level. Although not so much MVC2 these days... But it still lasted 11 years on the major tournament scene until we saw mvc3.

Here I thought you didn't go on NeoGAF and just lurked. The whole reason behind the argument was because you believed SPEED and TECHNICALITY are what made fighting games. Clearly many factors that make a fighting game, we weren't talking about those since the majority of fighting games need them TO BE FIGHTING GAMES. I used the SF2 as my argument indicating that speed and technicality aren't needed for a game to be competitively viable and POPULAR among tournament goers. You completely dismissed this notion which caused me to look at you from a stubborn angle. Its been ongoing for more than 20 years and two reasons why it isn't getting mainstream appeal is because its an old game with newer ones out there and money isn't getting pumped into the scene. If you'd like to argue even further that the future titles were more appealing, look at SF4, arguably it can be seen as being slower than SF2 and being more heavy on execution.

I personally came to love the FGC because of these games. They were aesthetically pleasing to me and there were techniques that separated the good from the rest. Most importantly they were FAST; fun to look at. It was these specific factors that caught my interest. And many who I have spoken to have shared the same thoughts regarding these games

I do not downplay any competitive fighting game because it does not appeal to me. It is no less competitive than the next fighting game. Competition after all, is a frame of mind. What I do believe is that there is a recipe for excellent fighting games that will last a long time. I believe that recipe includes things like Advanced techniques, Speed and Aesthetics.

Again, I repeat, some of the greatest fighting games of all time have had these facets of gameplay. I believe they were essential to their success and without advanced techniques(technicalities) and speed they may not have had the same amount of success and longevity that they currently have. Because of this, I believe that in order to create a fun, long lasting game, that creates skilled players and separates them from the rest, you'll need these facets.

You clearly stated that the popular fighting games needed SPEED and TECHNICALITY to be popular, which is why you prefer PM over Brawl/Sm4sh. From the conversation we had, you sounded like a damn elitist saying Melee and PM are the only games viable in the competitive scene because of their speed and technicality. I will agree that Brawl was not competitively viable due to tripping and its floaty-ness, however, SPEED and TECHNICALITY aren't what make fighting games popular. You are passing your subjectivity as objectivity and establishing your notion as a fact, that's what gets to me. Believing you're right the majority of the time without eating your humble pie and jokingly referring to your previous argument (about Melee only having two competitively viable characters) as if you weren't wrong.

I can go ahead and predict your next move since this isn't going to lead me anywhere, you are going to dismiss my argument again, as you usually do, until you start to see the point I'm trying to make here, fighting games DO NOT need speed/technicality to be competitively viable, clearly they aren't the only factors as I've stated previously. I've stated my side of the argument Karst.

I'm not sure I can handle two Yams yammering.
Eh, guess it'll be cool. As long as no more "guest characters" get introduced to this sparring match, if you follow my drift/inclination/setplay.

You can insult me all you want but keep him out of it.

Nyoro SF

I'm not sure I can handle two Yams yammering.
Eh, guess it'll be cool. As long as no more "guest characters" get introduced to this sparring match, if you follow my drift/inclination/setplay.

Azure J

So is palutena doomed to be mid tier? Vergil recovery time on her moves without x factor, and summoned swords.

She has some cool stuff and a pretty surprising combo game, but high mid is pretty much the best we can say for now. That is until some scientist or devoted husbando finds the nutty shit in her customs (if they're allowed down the road).

Kumubou

She has some cool stuff and a pretty surprising combo game, but high mid is pretty much the best we can say for now. That is until some scientist or devoted husbando finds the nutty shit in her customs (if they're allowed down the road).
I can't really see customs being allowed in tournaments, if only due to the additional prep time to configure custom moves and the onerous unlock requirements. Maybe if they were all available and configurable from character select.

Top Bottom