• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | November 26 - December 2nd | I got a Ph.D. in Mahvel Theory

alstein

Persona 4A is amazing, but Qistoptier was right. It's shallow as fuck. Reminds me of Super Turbo, no room to grow.

The game is yomi-based. Problem is the game isn't balanced enough for that to shine. Yomi-based games don't need super-amounts of tech to be fun, but they do need enough good characters, and Persona lacks that.

DEATH™

To me, eyepatches are used to cover up missing eyes. Anyone I've ever known with an eyepatch has a missing eye. So, the two just go hand-in-hand for me, and I don't understand why someone wouldn't want to use both of his/her eyes if they were functional. Using an eye patch for "fashion" is like wearing a leg brace around.

Damn straight. I would honestly pay a $5 monthly fee for this game if they kept improving it.

1) Creativity with teams.
2) Huge, amazing cast.
3) Fluidity in gameplay.
4) Creativity with combos.
5) Badass movesets with unique attributes and playstyles.
6) Fast-paced, demanding gameplay.

I don't understand how someone can't like it unless he/she just isn't good at it or doesn't like fighting games.

I'm playing TTT2... These points are null and void...

And yes I don't like playing Marvel, just like most people who plays Tekken...

Chavelo

lol tekken guys wut are u doing this iz the marvel ot thread gtfo with tthat shit lol your game sucks marvel 4 lyfe go bak 2 ur ot n00bz

Tekken series > VS series

alstein

To me, eyepatches are used to cover up missing eyes. Anyone I've ever known with an eyepatch has a missing eye. So, the two just go hand-in-hand for me, and I don't understand why someone wouldn't want to use both of his/her eyes if they were functional. Using an eye patch for "fashion" is like wearing a leg brace around.

Damn straight. I would honestly pay a $5 monthly fee for this game if they kept improving it.

1) Creativity with teams.
2) Huge, amazing cast.
3) Fluidity in gameplay.
4) Creativity with combos.
5) Badass movesets with unique attributes and playstyles.
6) Fast-paced, demanding gameplay.

I don't understand how someone can't like it unless he/she just isn't good at it or doesn't like fighting games.

The eyepatch- blame anime for that. It's one of those stupid anime trends that started with crappy Evangelion.

As for a monthly fee game, I wouldn't pay a monthly fee for a fighter- I won't pay a monthly fee for any game or service- it's a ripoff when there are games you can play for years that don't have this. If PSN goes to XBL pricing- I quit fighting games and will just play something else competitive.

I am willing to pay for customizations- that's what companies should be putting out as DLC. Namco had the right idea with SC5 in that regard (just wrong on character design and gameplay)

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I play all fighting games. I enjoy 3D games significantly more than 2D games. Out of all of them, I'm the most passionate about Tekken then followed by VF.

I love Tekken for the sole reason that it is the epitome of core videogame design in a fighter. I play videogames because I get the feeling of escaping reality and taking control of something I can never be. And when it comes to complete "CONTROL", Tekken by and large meticulously designed everything to give me the most access and control to a characters abilities. The way the control scheme works where I independently control each person's limb and the completely analogue movement where you can spend 500 hours trying to master it yet you can always improve on it. And to top it all which makes Tekken the ultimate fighter beyond other games is the extremely intricate wakeup and okizeme game. The game gives the person who knockdowned someone to unleash insane amounts of damage while they're grounded; yet at the same time, gives knocked down player a plethora of options to escape and even counter attack.

In the end, Tekken truly is a marvel of a game when you consider the number of characters with an enormous movelist balanced to such a degree where even the 3 worst characters are seen in top 8's of tournaments. Tekken really is the only game left hat provides a level of control and freedom of design where that character becomes an extension of you and your personality. This series is a big investment considering how many mechanics and intricacies you have to learn, but the reward is unparalleled compared to anything else this industry can offer.

Hey speaking of Tekken. I just picked this up on Black Friday (currently reading AAK's guide) and I'm getting ready to jump in. My quick question is if there are any specific characters that are really over represented when playing online? I'm not asking anyone to pick my character for me, but I really do enjoy playing less common characters in whatever games that I play. I really like character variety online, so I like to try to do my part to add to it. Tier order doesn't matter to me, I just want to pick from the pool or 20 or so characters that you don't see that much online, or at least avoid picking any of the top 5 or 10 most popular.

I find Marvel 3 insufferable. What's so good about it to you folks?

Characters -- Marvel side really. IDGAF about the Capcom side. But the Marvel side is dabess. Even the worst of them (Wolverine).

Creativity -- characters actually are strong in this game. No matter how "bad" a character is, if they can run their setup, they can win. Everybody's got juice. And all 50 are pretty distinct with their strong stuff to boot.

Presentation/It's Purdy -- it's really pretty to look at. Dat fanservice too with VA's, lines, stages, costumes, etc. Marvel nerd's paradise.

It's also as balanced as a versus game is ever going to be. TvC UAS is only thing that comes close and Zero/PTX in that game were far more enraging.

In conclusion -- the characters. Their presentation/hilarious VA makes it the best for me. It's an easy game to laugh at and say "lol, that's dumb" *keeps having fun*.

Also, I understand that it's not for everyone. And I can see why other people like other games too. Everything has something to offer.

BUT CAN YOU SEE WHY KIDS LOVE CINNAMON TOAST CRUNCH

Moe is gross.
I don't feel qualified to speak on the subject. I don't even think I should have brought it up. All I know is that is is more than "Kawaiiii uguuuu desu" or lolis.
Most of them are. I'm rocking a Ghost Rider team right now and demolishing people even though he's "low tier".
Good for you, but that doesn't make Hsien-Ko any better(not that she is the only reason I don't play).
Find me something in TTT2 that's as sexy as FotF loops or hyper grav loops. That shit is hot.
What I said was more of a general statement. I don't know shit about Tekken.
The eyepatch- blame anime for that. It's one of those stupid anime trends that started with crappy Evangelion.
Wat

I've seen a buttload of anime since NGE and I never noticed that trend. Regular old lolis seemed to be the dominating force.

DEATH™

Hey speaking of Tekken. I just picked this up on Black Friday (currently reading AAK's guide) and I'm getting ready to jump in. My quick question is if there are any specific characters that are really over represented when playing online? I'm not asking anyone to pick my character for me, but I really do enjoy playing less common characters in whatever games that I play. I really like character variety online, so I like to try to do my part to add to it. Tier order doesn't matter to me, I just want to pick from the pool or 20 or so characters that you don't see that much online, or at least avoid picking any of the top 5 or 10 most popular.

Jun/Unknown and Asuka teams are a bunch...
Wrestlers too...
The rest varies...

But you shouldn't worry about it too much. I use the Kings to show scrubs how it's done :p jk
What you need to worry more is learning the fundamentals, like how to move and stand up. Most people struggle because they move with a 2D fight mindset...

El Sloth

Banned
Moe is gross.
Didn't think I'd have the chance to post this again so soon:

ZQ62U.jpg

From my experience.
Laws
All the Kazamas.
Kazuya(Have only seen three Devil Jins and a few Heihachis)
Paul
Bryan
Bruce
Kings

Are what I have seen the most.

I like Marvel 1 as much as anybody, but let's be real here. Shit is old.
We shouldn't play OoT guys, that shit is old.

I don't feel qualified to speak on the subject. I don't even think I should have brought it up. All I know is that is is more than "Kawaiiii uguuuu desu" or lolis.
It's a word that everyone is trying to lay claim to, but that I can't understand anyone wanting to claim.

Good for you, but that doesn't make Hsien-Ko any better(not that she is the only reason I don't play).
She's definitely not good, but LLND makes her look respectable. If Dormammu had a tracking Purification assist, I'd make her my point character (and not just to tag her out).

What I said was more of a general statement. I don't know shit about Tekken.
Well, I think you are generally wrong, then! :p

kirblar

Persona 4A is amazing, but Qistoptier was right. It's shallow as fuck. Reminds me of Super Turbo, no room to grow.
Yeah, the limited movesets and emphasis on offense make watching the game really repetitive. Lots of fun to play casually though, since its so easy to pick up.

AAK

Oooh is there Tekken talk here?

Find me something in TTT2 that's as sexy as FotF loops or hyper grav loops. That shit is hot.

ibl1GCMKxOnKpn.gif

ibn6dwX8QvA0Uo.gif

;)

Forest, Marshall, King, AKing, Lili/Sebastian, Lars, Leo, Christie/Eddy/Tiger and to a slight extent Mishima's. That's the cast I've seen the most online. Also, need to close this post with swag:

iZ9mzrqFmAf5a.gif

Oooh is there Tekken talk here?

ibl1GCMKxOnKpn.gif

ibn6dwX8QvA0Uo.gif

;)
I can't tell if you're being serious...those disjointed hitboxes are always so awful looking. Characters getting punched or kicked as much as a foot away from the actual character model with what looks like a Star Wars Episode I quality karate move while the body flails about in the air like its on a trampoline. Terrible.

vulva

I can't tell if you're being serious...those disjointed hitboxes are always so awful looking. Characters getting punched or kicked as much as a foot away from the actual character model with what looks like a Star Wars Episode I quality karate move while the body flails about in the air like its on a trampoline. Terrible.

Marvel looks like shit too, what's your point? If flashing lights are all it takes to make you happy, get a strobe light and mash on your stick. Same experience.

JeTmAn81

Yeah, I've never understood this as an aesthetic choice. It has to be aesthetic, right, because not all 3D games work like that. I know Mortal Kombat does, and it looks equally stupid there, but I don't think Soul Calibur or Virtua Fighter have that same kind of nonsense.

wat.

It's no different than a game where you shoot a bullet at a guy laying on the ground and it makes their body pop up for a combo somehow.

They are just bound moves to extend combos.

vocab

This post makes no sense to me.

I don't get it either. ST has lots of levels of depth. I personally think P4a feels a bit limited in some cases. I don't think it's that shallow, but can some characters can feel that way especially with Shadow Labrys. Honestly, I never played a fighting game like P4a where I can just pick up any character, and start playing them. It's really weird. I Pick up carl or Devo, and I go man what the fuck this is not a character I want to play nor want to take the time to learn. Is P4a just easy to pick up, or other games just harder by nature thus leading to more complex games?

Marvel looks like shit too, what's your point? If flashing lights are all it takes to make you happy, get a strobe light and mash on your stick. Same experience.
This is that illiteracy I keep talking about.

Yeah, I've never understood this as an aesthetic choice. It has to be aesthetic, right, because not all 3D games work like that. I know Mortal Kombat does, and it looks equally stupid there, but I don't think Soul Calibur or Virtua Fighter have that same kind of nonsense.
Soul Calibur has it, but it's not nearly as bad. Plus I tend to play Nightmare and Astaroth in Soul Calibur, so the hitboxes tend to fit with the gigantic weapons.

wat.

It's no different than a game where you shoot a bullet at a guy laying on the ground and it makes their body pop up for a combo somehow.

They are just bound moves to extend combos.
Marvel is a borderline (ha, borderline!) anime game, so it fits when something like punch causes a wallbounce. It's far more weird and difficult to embrace a game that has that sort of thing but goes for a realistic approach to its character concepts. Plus, that has nothing to do with disjointed hitbox animations.

AAK

Am I hearing you corectly where you are complaining about hitboxes in Tekken? I beter hope you have the same complaints about foot dives, helm breakers, and crossups in 2D games.

And am I also right that a Marvel player is complaining about a bound combo extender? I better hope he has the same complaints about TAC's, DHC's, OTG's, etc.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Doesn't Tekken use collision detection?

I don't think disjointed hitboxes are even a thing in Tekken.

Assuming I know what collision detection means.

Top Bottom