• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | November 26 - December 2nd | I got a Ph.D. in Mahvel Theory

Yo, all this shit talk about Tekken are just from Marvel minions that are jelly that they can't do awesome 3D combos in their game that they rely on X-Factor to win with.

Kidding, of course. But yo mothafuckas need to chill it with the hate talk. Might as well get rid of threads like these if you have to keep it so Marvel-centric.
Woah woah, the non-Marvel players literally asked for this.

Step 1: Someone asks what everyone sees in Marvel.
Step 2: Someone makes a list of stuff about Marvel's good qualities.
Step 3: Someone claims Tekken has those good qualities, and wants to know why Step 2's Someone doesn't like Tekken.

This invariably leads to another Someone getting upset about the response to Step 3, and off we go.

I'm cool with leaving Tekken alone, but then people need to stop trying to compare it to Marvel. Otherwise, I'm going to (gasp?) compare Marvel to Tekken back at them!

I think we've already established that you have no arguments beyond personal taste, thank you.
There are no arguments beyond personal taste.

kirblar

What if you don't need an online community to enjoy the game in an offline setting?
You don't need one, but it's not as though this is something with the name value of SF4 to compensate for it. The KOF IP brings little to the table in the US.

But really, in the modern age, good netcode's essential. People need to be able to fight their buddies online.

JeTmAn81

I've never really liked Tekken because the characters are completely uninteresting to me. The few times I have played it I remember simply button-mashing my way to victory.

Chavelo

You don't need one, but it's not as though this is something with the name value of SF4 to compensate for it. The KOF IP brings little to the table in the US.

Even if it had the greatest netcode of all time, it still wouldn't be as popular as SF, though. :/

I think Arc fired the designer of that game and she now does doujinshi. One of the few FG's with a woman as lead developer.

Is BF had Arc netcode and a few folks still playing I would be playing it, it's a better 3S.

Emiko Iwasaki still works at ASW in some capacity last time I checked.

Back then ASW netcode didn't exist. I still play every blue moon with friends and it plays fine given the distance and seeing other fighters lag from that same distance.

And Gatchi Button...GATCHI BUTTON!!!!

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Let them, it's fine exposing the illiterates. It is mildly amusing seeing haters retreat to shit talking about names of all things when they know they can't back up any of their claims on gameplay.

Wtf are you talking about I said the only thing I don't like is the names.

AAK

This invariably leads to another Someone getting upset about the response to Step 3, and off we go.

I'm cool with leaving Tekken alone, but then people need to stop trying to compare it to Marvel. Otherwise, I'm going to (gasp?) compare Marvel to Tekken back at them!

Fact of the matter is, that Tekken does have the qualities that make Marvel enjoyable and then some. Nothing wrong with talking about an issue. But when a cerain issue is unfounded ludacris, you better be prepared to own up to it.

Wtf are you talking about I said the only thing I don't like is the names.

All the comments made in this thread aren't necessarily directed towards you, ya know?

Dahbomb

ibl1GCMKxOnKpn.gif

This is boss as fuck.

Doomshine

Woah woah, the non-Marvel players literally asked for this.

Step 1: Someone asks what everyone sees in Marvel.
Step 2: Someone makes a list of stuff about Marvel's good qualities.
Step 3: Someone claims Tekken has those good qualities, and wants to know why Step 2's Someone doesn't like Tekken.

There are no arguments beyond personal taste.

I'm not the one in here telling people that they have bad taste, suck at and don't like fighting games.

Kikujiro

TT2 renewed my love for Tekken, 6 was a big disappointment. But I'm still mad at Namco for rushing out SCV.

And Kabuki Klash > Waku Waku 7 > Persona 4 Arena

Don't be shy. For some reason this argument just seems important. Like not right now, or maybe even this week.

But one day we will all look back at this and nod our heads a little.

kirblar

3D games are much easier to play than spectate. It's much easier to keep track of things in relation to "your guy" than it is to try and keep track of both parties in a constantly shifting 3D viewpoint.

AAK

I think it's pretty clear that he's just having a conversation with himself, but he doesn't know it yet.
u mad bro? Regardless it doesn't matter what any of us think. Anyone that viewed this thread can see both sides of the argument and make their own opinion.

If you don't have good netcode, it really doesn't matter. People need to be able to play with other people.

We're debating fighting game mechanics, not the whole package, otherwise Marvel only matters a little more and Blazblue and Soul Calibur V are the best games this generation.

For the record, I find it insulting that you think the people who play this offline and support their local scenes don't matter.

Also I think Virtua Fighter 5:FS is the best fighter this generation. KOF XIII is second. I like Tekken a lot, but damage is kinda borked in that game.

alstein

Emiko Iwasaki still works at ASW in some capacity last time I checked.

Back then ASW netcode didn't exist. I still play every blue moon with friends and it plays fine given the distance and seeing other fighters lag from that same distance.

And Gatchi Button...GATCHI BUTTON!!!!

She does? I just remember the interview (I think it was Zero-Chan doing the interview) where she talked about how Arc forced her into putting more combos into the game and hearing that she was back doing doujinshi work.

I'd love to see her get a chance for some more character design- it was pretty unique.

Chavelo

So the venue I set up weekly gatherings at wants do a throwback tournament with OG games like KOF 2002 and ST.

GAF, gimme your opinion of five games that should be in the tournament.

Right now, I got:

KOF 2002
ST
CVS2
Breaker's Revenge
G:MOTW

So the venue I set up weekly gatherings at wants do a throwback tournament with OG games like KOF 2002 and ST.

Right now, I got:

KOF 2002
ST
CVS2
Breaker's Revenge
Marvel vs. Capcom 1.

I tease - is there a timespan you're looking at? Looking at your games, it seems like you're pretty flexible. Vampire Savior is always a good option. What about older 3D fighters?

_dazed

Right now, I got:

KOF 2002
ST
CVS2
Breaker's Revenge

needs VF

Right now, I got:

KOF 2002
ST
CVS2
Breaker's Revenge

SF:EX3

alstein

Right now, I got:

KOF 2002
ST
CVS2
Breaker's Revenge

SamSho 2 or Special, RBFF 1 or 2, or Ring of Destruction.

But I know who Kazuya, Heihachi, and Kuma are I don't know who the fuck Paul is.

Paul's the guy with the high-top fade that looks like a spray painted Slim Jim glued to his head, right?

King is the guy with a leopard head.

Jack is the robot..

Law is the Bruce Lee ripoff.

That's what I remember from Tekken 2, which is the last Tekken I spent a LOT of time with, although I've dabbled a little in Tekken 3. But that was awhile ago. It wasn't until Street Fighter X Tekken I found out there was a Blade ripoff, an australian boxer (Steve, right?) a farting bear, and a fat dude with my name (Bob.)

At one point there was a Panda who was a CEO of a corporation, right?

I like the series quite a bit - it's not as spectator friendly, but I've always felt a little more comfortable playing it than I have Street Fighter or Marvel, even though Street Fighter/Marvel keeps me coming back time after time.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Right now, I got:

KOF 2002
ST
CVS2
Breaker's Revenge
Clayfighter.

(Clay-clay fighter! C'mon fight them if you dare! Woo!)

Personally I kind of prefer TT2 to UMvC3, if only because in TTT2 you have a way better chance of being able to use your favourite characters together and having it work out. Plus TTT2 is definitely the fighting game of the year when it comes to content.

Personally I kind of prefer TT2 to UMvC3, if only because in TTT2 you have a way better chance of being able to use your favourite characters together and having it work out. Plus TTT2 is definitely the fighting game of the year when it comes to content.

Watching it get some play during the GiantBomb WiiU launch day stream, I thought if any game was gonna get me back into Tekken, it was that one. Not that they were good at it (they're pretty much never good at any game they play, which is fine, because neither am I) but one of the few times that room came alive in any way was when Tekken was on the screen. That's gotta say something.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I come home and see this thread with 3 pages and think to myself "AWW SHIT FGC DRAMA OR PEOPLE ACTUALLY WATCHING SALTY BATTLES CAN'T WAIT TO GET HOME."

And then I see what y'all are actually talking about. SMH. At least open opportunity for Marvel hate is bringing folks out of the woodwork though.

Marvel 3 is the best fighting game of all time with SF2 as second, living off of the merits of influence. Plus the arguments against that are pretty poor this time around and were better the last time we had this argument.

But yeah let's dead that topic that never seems to produce any sort of good discussion ever.

BadWolf

Right now, I got:

KOF 2002
ST
CVS2
Breaker's Revenge

Last Blade 2.

DEATH™

I come home and see this thread with 3 pages and think to myself "AWW SHIT FGC DRAMA OR PEOPLE ACTUALLY WATCHING SALTY BATTLES CAN'T WAIT TO GET HOME."

And then I see what y'all are actually talking about. SMH. At least open opportunity for Marvel hate is bringing folks out of the woodwork though.

Marvel 3 is the best fighting game of all time with SF2 as second, living off of the merits of influence. Plus the arguments against that are pretty poor this time around and were better the last time we had this argument.

So what you're saying is we need to keep this thread into Marvel Weekly, like it was before? While some guys here thrash other games not named Marvel when that game was brought up? Geez...

Last Blade 2.

YES

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
DEATH™;44776925 said:
So what you're saying is we need to keep this thread into Marvel Weekly, like it was before? While people trash other games without even trying it? Geez...

I understand none of your posts.

DEATH™;44776925 said:
So what you're saying is we need to keep this thread into Marvel Weekly, like it was before? While some guys here thrash other games not named Marvel when that game was brought up? Geez...
But it happened the other way around. -_-

I clicked on the TTT2 thread a bit ago and read around because sometimes I just like to do that for games I don't play to see what people are talking about. I read this post:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=44755165&postcount=7576

And, you know, the fact is that we're a small community that teeters just between thriving and endangered at all times. As far as I know, every major fighting game company has either almost died, died and stayed dead, or died and came back to life at some point. Even though I am not a fan of Tekken, it's still a better game than most of what gets made out there just because it's a gameplay-centric creation, like games should be. We should all unite against the common enemy of all fighting games: "cinematic games".

We didn't start this thread off with a controversial post, y'know.

Everybody should just pour shit on mortal kombat. It is what has kept us all together for so long.

Even those who play mortal kombat, who are the greatest heros of all.

When you look at projects like dive kick and mr footsies, I wonder if the fgc has ever created a full fighting game?

Would that be a solution moving forward to relying on Capcom?

Top Bottom