• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | November 26 - December 2nd | I got a Ph.D. in Mahvel Theory

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Justin is really fucking good, if he stuck with a team or two that was really solid he would probably win more. Fuck that though watching him have fun with characters is more fun for me XD

everybody list your top AE players

1. Daigo
2. Wong
3. Human Bomb
4. Bum
5. Infiltration

Too low.

australia-day.jpg

vulva

I'll concede that Marvel's a good game if you want to be good without putting in much work, which really does go a long way for mass appeal.

sephi22

DEATH™;44780605 said:
But unlike UMVC3, Tekken actually takes some skills to win. Yes I said it...
Woah bro you're so controversial. This is the first time I've heard someone say such a thing.

DEATH™;44780605 said:
People said it here in the thread... It's an instant gratification game. If this kind of game mindset/design is being promoted now, I'm afraid for the future for fighting games, or games in general...
This mindset isn't taking anything away from the game you like. For better or worse, Tekken's been about the same since T5. Continue to support it and it won't get dumbed down like you think Marvel has been.

1. Daigo
2. Wong
3. Human Bomb
4. Bum
5. Infiltration

House of crack Bum? Or is this someone else?

soakrates

Also, I can only assume uncreative people dislike the game too. People who want to learn matchups with little variation, they want a controlled sandbox where matchup design dictates the scenario rather than the community. They don't want to follow a rapidly evolving metagame, they don't want a game where not only do you have to fight the player and the character, but you have to fight the team and the tech along with it. Ain't nothing wrong with that, but that's down to preference. Put your faith in devs vs. faith in yourself and the people to evolve the game.
Hold on there, stud. I dislike Marvel 3 (at least right now), and I don't think I qualify as an uncreative player at all. Hell, in just about every fighting game I play, I tend to gravitate toward more complex characters (Lei Fei in VF, Maxi in SoulCalibur, etc.) with a lot of options that can be used in different ways and in various situations. I admire both solid, fundamental play and I also love to go all-out and try to confuse the hell out of my opponent with stance cancels, string delays, attacking at disadvantage, etc.

Believe it or not, there are good reasons to dislike Marvel 3. I, for one, think it places way too much emphasis on landing ToD combos from stupidly good mixups. On the other hand, I also recognize and respect the skill it takes to time assists properly, maximize damage, make the most of hit confirms and make wise use of meter and X-Factor. But like I said earlier, the game is far from done evolving so I may end up liking it at some point.

I'll concede that Marvel's a good game if you want to be good without putting in much work, which really does go a long way for mass appeal.

I've tried to play Marvel properly a lot of times. For me it takes a lot more work then other games because the way you have to think is just different.

I can pick up pretty much anything else and start hacking away. The rest is just how much practice you need to be able to consistently do what you want to do at any time.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

This is also false, there is a reason there are only a few players that can move almost as good as yipes can.

The only fighters that feel like complete shit and are no fun at low levels or don't make you feel like you are good at that level is Arc Sys stuff. *not counting P4A but that game doesn't really have a high level kinda like the total opposite of their design ideas*

Dahbomb

1. Daigo
2. Wong
3. Human Bomb
4. Bum
5. Infiltration
Daigo, Wong, Tokido, Infiltration and Poongko.

He needs to bring back iron fist
He has already won two tournaments with IF. Unless he decides to use IF/Spencer/Strange, I don't want him using IF again. Too many players using missiles and swords for IF to be viable.

sephi22

Marvel's a good game that makes you think that you can win without putting in work, while the truth is far from it. I can't count the number of times I practiced ToD combos and went into a tourney, just to lose to players who had good movement and resets.

I, for one, think it places way too much emphasis on landing ToD combos from stupidly good mixups. .
The stupidly good mixups are now a staple of this game, but focus is shifting from ToD combos, thanks to characters like Morrigan and Firebrand.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Hold on there, stud. I dislike Marvel 3 (at least right now), and I don't think I qualify as an uncreative player at all. Hell, in just about every fighting game I play, I tend to gravitate toward more complex characters (Lei Fei in VF, Maxi in SoulCalibur, etc.) with a lot of options that can be used in different ways and in various situations. I admire both solid, fundamental play and I also love to go all-out and try to confuse the hell out of my opponent with stance cancels, string delays, attacking at disadvantage, etc.

Believe it or not, there are good reasons to dislike Marvel 3. I, for one, think it places way too much emphasis on landing ToD combos from stupidly good mixups. On the other hand, I also recognize and respect the skill it takes to time assists properly, maximize damage and make the most of hit confirms. But like I said earlier, the game is far from done evolving so I may end up liking the game at some point.
Creative probably too general of a word too, I mean the kind exploitation and combining of every aspect of the game, character and engine. Outside of the box and outside of the capabilities of the character in isolation. You have to create or build something new to even keep up in Marvel. I guess the use of all of your tools is analogous in other games, but it's a lot different in Marvel where you have to combine assists and characters and constantly refine the synergy of your team.

And your further criticisms for Marvel all fall under the umbrella of momentum shifts I mentioned earlier IMO.

It's a good thing for a game to be accessible for low level play. The best fighting games are easy to play and enjoy, and hard as hell to master, so there's appreciation and enjoyment on all levels. Accessibility is only a negative quality if there's a low skill ceiling. There's no virtue at all in making basic gameplay elements take a lot of work unless you just hate the idea of casual players enjoying your game.

Chris G is rocking x-23 and hsien-ko right now.
Link?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
It's a good thing for a game to be accessible for low level play. The best fighting games are easy to play and enjoy, and hard as hell to master, so there's appreciation and enjoyment on all levels. Accessibility is only a negative quality if there's a low skill ceiling. There's no virtue at all in making basic gameplay elements take a lot of work unless you just hate the idea of casual players enjoying your game.

This is pretty much the issue with the GG series and the BB series, not sure how easy BBCP will be but a lot of stuff seems toned down overall so far.

K.Sabot

1.Sako
2.Daigo
3.Haitani
4.Infiltration
5.VRyu

Actually switch VRyu and Haitani.

Haitani has looked pretty scrubby as of late.

This is pretty much the issue with the GG series and the BB series, not sure how easy BBCP will be but a lot of stuff seems toned down overall so far.
I hate double tapping to dash. Are they getting rid of that? :-/

What is changing in BBCP (from SEX to CP, I swear) that makes it seem toned down to you?

I'll probably wait for BlazBlue 2, regardless.

DEATH™;44778645 said:
The problem is the FGC community doesn't support other games worthy of supporting. And sometimes the FGC doesn't know what they want. Look, when SF4 came, people clamored about balance and all characters being viable, when Marvel came out, people wanted a good ol' fashioned fighting game... You know, the one that takes actual skills... When SFxT came, people want to stop the bad practice of DLC....

Now, TTT2 came out, the game where characters and stages were free, the game is fun to watch and play, it's so balanced, and it actually takes skill to win, plus crazy customization options, pretty good netcode and stat tracking to boot. Yet people still shouts "when's mahvel"? Look, even this thread talks marvel all the time when Tekken makes golden moments like this.

It's not even about Marvel being the best, cause it's clearly not (even when comparing to other Marvel or even 2D games). It's all about the people always wanting to put the spotlight on Marvel. Which is unfair.
Just sit back, put your feet up and enjoy the ride. Other games will continue to be passed up. All you can do is enjoy your game before it dies.
Fighting games that take no skill? I think it would be easier to see what game takes the least skill since all competitive games tend to have some skill component to win.

At low level I think Tekken, DOA, and the VS series are the easiest game. Obviously very different at higher levels of play.
You mean Soul Calibur.

kirblar

I hate double tapping to dash. Are they getting rid of that? :-/

What is changing in BBCP (from SEX to CP, I swear) that makes it seem toned down to you?

I'll probably wait for BlazBlue 2, regardless.
They've cleaned up a lot of things about the game in CP. Hitstop reduction makes it play faster, no stupid guard primers, the "Burst or X-Factor" mechanic is actually a really cool way of keeping Burst from being dumb and defensive.

Just sit back, put your feet up and enjoy the ride. Other games will continue to be passed up. All you can do is enjoy your game before it dies.
I read that as a Skullgirls eulogy.

They've cleaned up a lot of things about the game in CP. Hitstop reduction makes it play faster, no stupid guard barrier gauges, the "Burst or X-Factor" mechanic is actually a really cool way of keeping Burst from being dumb and defensive.
X-Factor? And you can endlessly guard barrier now? Why not just make it the default?

Top Bottom