• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Sept 15-21 | Mewwho?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Ninja Gaiden 4 will be a musou game and after you beat it Hayashi will shit directly into your mouth.

Sounds like Dah's fetish or something.

Seriously: After Ninja Gaiden 3, why would anyone be hyped for Hayashi's team's games? I mean at least DOA5 proved itself that they would copy Itagaki's stuff and fix it instead of copying it and adding worse stuff to it.

Anybody see this yet? This is MarkMan response about Zhi's commentary

https://twitter.com/MarkMan23/status/513728380772941824

Basically he's got his back. I was a little worried because I was looking at it from a perspective you see in most professional leagues where commentary like this would never be allowed or tolerated. But Mark is cool with it. I'm cool with it and honestly like it, but I keep dreading that at some point it will blow up in their faces.

Astarte

Hiya FightingGAF, I'm trying to get into fighting games! I've never played them that extensively, but I want to get more into them. I've played Brawl a total of 10 times I think and I've been dicking around with the 3DS Smash demo. On Steam I have KOF XIII and Mortal Kombat.

Any tips for newbies?

Welcome! The OP has a lot of resources that are pretty helpful to new players. Find a game that you enjoy playing (because you'll be spending countless hours on it) and learn to take losses. Losing sucks, but it's a learning experience.

Dahbomb

Sounds like Dah's fetish or something.

Seriously: After Ninja Gaiden 3, why would anyone be hyped for Hayashi's team's games? I mean at least DOA5 proved itself that they would copy Itagaki's stuff and fix it instead of copying it and adding worse stuff to it.
I can never not be hyped for a new Ninja Gaiden game.

I HAVE to believe!

In all honesty, I wouldn't recommend KoFXIII even though that game is fantastic. It's not even close to being beginner friendly. Also, Smash is a non-traditional fighting game so a lot of stuff you may doesn't transfer to well though the terminology (footies, jabs, recovery, understanding frame data etc) still exist.
Street Fighter 4 is the easiest beginner game and yet also has some of the best highest level play. Once you get SF4 down, you can transfer that into a lot of other games including KoFXIII and Mortal Kombat. That's not to say you can't start with KoF or Mortal Kombat but SF4 is a game that pretty much everyone plays and has universal connections , even if they don't primarily play that game.

KOF13 is a great entry point for a Smash player IMO. There's just something about the freedom of movement and hop-centric pressure that just feels really nice and familiar coming from a Smash background. That's my theory on why it clicked for me, anyway.

But yeah, KOF needs a bit of extra work compared to some other games, but fun is the best motivator for that IMO. I couldn't put work into SF4 despite it being easy, but a lot of the "harder" games feel nice so I can level my sorry ass up a bit.

Astarte

I can never not be hyped for a new Ninja Gaiden game.

I HAVE to believe!

Ryu is a rebellious teenager who runs away from home and is now fighting the power of the oppressive government with spray cans and clubs. All this and more with the feel of 60 fps.

I think that would deflate any hype forever

Agreed. His options are too good when he has meter now (while being absolute garbage when he has none).

Might like to see if there was a way to balance that out.

I hope not. Leave him as is. One guy wins a tournament and he's already getting nerf requests. He isn't a good character. Pepeday is the exception and explored this game. As Bonchan and Inco showed within the span of a match, that Q-bomb on block can be punished by Kar-uppercut and Ultra respectively.

KOF13 is a great entry point for a Smash player IMO. There's just something about the freedom of movement and hop-centric pressure that just feels really nice and familiar coming from a Smash background. That's my theory on why it clicked for me, anyway.

But yeah, KOF needs a bit of extra work compared to some other games, but fun is the best motivator for that IMO. I couldn't put work into SF4 despite it being easy, but a lot of the "harder" games feel nice so I can level my sorry ass up a bit.

Never thought of it like that.

Problem is, what can be done about it? I'll say this, your treatment did have a big role in me deciding to not hitting TFC this year- I know I'm a nobody washed up person, but that's still $50 they're not gonna get.

As for poverty status- what about allowing folks to prereg without paying, then pay at door- if they don't pay, just strike their name from the brackets. At least then if someone's a lucky dog it's random.

I don't know what we can do about it, besides support the good tournaments and keep speaking up. At least this year challonge seems to be becoming a standard.

There's plenty of great tournaments though. This year I loved KIT, SCR, UFGT, EVO, and WCW. I couldn't make CEO but I heard it was great too. I can specifically go to ones I know will be great and have a full schedule.

Didn't Final Round do exactly this and ended up with some shit anyway? If TOs want to float people, they're going to do it regardless of the structure.

No. They talked about it doing it but it did not happen. This was Pig of the Hut's idea and they initially told him it'd happen. He brought it up because it's been a reoccurring problem in the NRS community. Top guys don't pre-register and then get put into random brackets and there's always shenanigans.

kirblar

Zhi is awesome
and so is Skisonic

Come at me bruhs
Ski's obviously made the effort to get better. There were specific things he was doing a few years back that are gone now in his commentary style. (It often felt like a HS basketball solo radio announcer was calling the match.) Don't have a problem with him on the mic anymore.

mbpm1

I hope not. Leave him as is. One guy wins a tournament and he's already getting nerf requests. He isn't a good character. Pepeday is the exception and explored this game. As Bonchan and Inco showed within the span of a match, that Q-bomb on block can be punished by Kar-uppercut and Ultra respectively.

Honestly I have no problem with the Q bomb. The guacamole leg throw, though, is just absurd. Beats uppercuts, gets out of jail free, ridiculously hard to punish, unlike the Q bomb.

Nerf that.

Imm0rt4l

Smash players?

/zhi

EhCh8bz.png

Dahbomb

No hype for Devil's Third?

And is it OK to play DMC 3 after 4 or is it better to play 3 before 4?
Devil's Third looks like shit and the only people who are hyped for it are Wii U only fans. Though Itagaki did promise improvements from the E3 build so we will see but nothing about the game has tickled my fancy.

It's better to play 3 before 4. It doesn't really matter that much though but DMC3 does a better job of easing you into Dante's combat playstyle than DMC4 does. When you get to Dante in DMC4 it's very jarring because they give you 3 weapons + 4 styles off the bat. Storywise DMC3 takes first in the series and like DMC1 it sort of works standalone where as DMC4 sort of requires you to know about some of the extra characters in there like Trish/Lady.

Infinite

Devils Third looked rough at e3 but reading all the interviews from Itagaki I think people will be pleasantly surprised by the final product.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
You guys are so cynical.

Saved me so much money this gen

No way I'm even considering buying into Devil's Third before launch.

If game comes out and I hear it's cool then great, but nothing will convince me but that

Dahbomb

You guys are so cynical.
I would argue that many gamers/enthusiasts aren't cynical enough.

Like there is no fucking way a game like Destiny should've sold that much. I guess I can't blame the player base THAT much because they did play the Alpha/Beta but this whole pre-order culture is seriously bull shit.

I'm watching two different Project M tournaments from different parts of the states wondering how/when the Mewtwo saturation got so high. (Especially considering I've begun learning Mewtwo as my third character behind Marth and Pit. :lol)

Yeah same.
I guess I'll check my Twitch and see what else is on:
cMbQuRL.png

That thumbnail...nice
Edit: Dammit, CT ZeRo!

Infinite

Saved me so much money this gen

No way I'm even considering buying into Devil's Third before launch.

If game comes out and I hear it's cool then great, but nothing will convince me but that
That's fair but I am acknowledging that the game did look rough and is a long ways off from being done which means it can improve. The game could end up turning it around and being worthwhile to play. We won't know that till it's out obviously but the devs seem to have a good head on their shoulders. Granted I'm not saying "omg this game is a must buy to me". I await to be sold on it myself.

Dahbomb

Isn't that game releasing this year? They need a ton of improvements in a short amount of time for the game to even be serviceable.

kirblar

Like there is no fucking way a game like Destiny should've sold that much. I guess I can't blame the player base THAT much because they did play the Alpha/Beta but this whole pre-order culture is seriously bull shit.
For social/MMO-type games like Destiny it's important to play when there's lots of other people. For something like Stick of Truth, you can wait for the Bombas.

I played the alpha/beta and I still like the game/preordered. I think for me though it was due to the fact that I havent play a legitimate shooter since cod4 and natural selection2 (which is slightly different)

NEO0MJ

Devil's Third looks like shit and the only people who are hyped for it are Wii U only fans. Though Itagaki did promise improvements from the E3 build so we will see but nothing about the game has tickled my fancy.

It's better to play 3 before 4. It doesn't really matter that much though but DMC3 does a better job of easing you into Dante's combat playstyle than DMC4 does. When you get to Dante in DMC4 it's very jarring because they give you 3 weapons + 4 styles off the bat. Storywise DMC3 takes first in the series and like DMC1 it sort of works standalone where as DMC4 sort of requires you to know about some of the extra characters in there like Trish/Lady.

Devil's third does lok really rough, but I'm hoping Itagaki and his team pull through. Obviously though this won't be to Itagaki what Bayonetta was to Kamiya.

And I guess I'll play DMC3 first. I tried playing DMC1 but couldn't get in. Dropped the game after the first Black Knight boss. I wish it had checkpoints so I didn't have to restart the whole chapter whenever I mess up.

People here talk about how Titanfall's popularity was just the product of the hypemachine but Destiny walks all over that game.

Top Bottom