• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Sept 15-21 | Mewwho?

Coda

Watching GUTS 3 is so surreal right now haha. Probably cause I'm high though or that it's at Foxwoods. I should've gone.

Dahbomb

KOF has done the 3S/MKX treatment in terms of major changes at least 4 if not 5 times during the history of the series.

I'd call 96 99 2k3 XII and XIII major revamps.

Don't people still play KOF 98?

I wasn't saying this type of thing doesn't happen, I was just adding to the conversation and giving a Tekken perspective.

Also how many people play KOF 98 still vs playing KOFXIII? Curious to see rough numbers on that.

What made T4 so bad?
Introduction of elevation/depressions in environments along with columns which interfered with practical BnBs and general combat game play. This among other things greatly reduced combo ability in T4.

Considerable decrease in overall speed for the movement.

Side step changes didn't go over well with the community.

Gross balance issues. Characters like Jin and Steve were too good... Jin in particular had his JFLS that was just too stupid for a Tekken game. Pretty much ruined the game competitively. Game was just not play tested properly, there were infinites in the game as well (although situational).

Sayah

What made T4 so bad?

Ceilings and Jin
lol

Outside of the balance, the game did everything else right from story to graphics to stage locales and character designs.

Plus, it toned down the red smudges.

I still have a hard time believing this is a 2001/2002 game. Back when fighting games used to be graphical powerhouse showcases for new consoles.

t4-s2.jpg

1181242182182.jpg

Back when my arcade was alive and had actual people playing, Tekken 4 always had a big audience. Shit was a real crowd pleaser, Jin or no Jin.

Plus, when you're 12-years old, Jin has the coolest jacket/pants combo of all-time, cuz flames breh

Dahbomb

Tekken 4 came out at the wrong time.

At that point Tekken wasn't stale and it was a super high selling series. Namco could've made Tekken 3.5 with T4 and it would've sold gangbusters plus did well in the competitive circuit.

They made a game with a ton of changes that you generally only do when your game is in need of a shake up. They changed a bunch of things in the game that people complained about Tekken in general:

*Clunky movement. Tekken 4 had more fluid 3D movement than T3 and TTT1.

*Less juggle heavy game play.

*Less special effects/clutter when hitting enemies.

*Removed many of the fluff characters that many people didn't care about meaning less match ups to worry about

*More realistic terrain with closed in environments (no infinite environments)

*New graphics engine

Pretty much what people want from Tekken these days. Basically what Namco did with Tekken in 2003 they should've done with it in 2014 in T7... although they should've kept in the oven longer to tune out balance issues.

And its probably just my nostalgia, but the T4 character select is my favorite of any fighting game, with the smoke and shit coming down off the sides. It was like God was about to descend down to the ring to face the Undertaker in the main event.

Laconic

Banned
Collectively, yes.

Individually, 98 and 02 very likely have bigger scenes still lol.

I think the guys who worked on T4 ended up getting sent to make SC3.

That makes a sad sort of sense.

Poor SC3, getting saddled with the dev team that brought us just-frame Laser Scrapers.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Back when my arcade was alive and had actual people playing, Tekken 4 always had a big audience. Shit was a real crowd pleaser, Jin or no Jin.

Plus, when you're 12-years old, Jin has the coolest jacket/pants combo of all-time, cuz flames breh

Seriously. Every friday I would bug my parents to take me to the mall so I could hit up the arcade and just watch people play Tekken 4. Eating cinnamon&sugar pretzel bites (pretzelmaker da best) while spectating T4 play with a shit ton of people was such a fantastic experience.

Sayah

It's a shame. I want them to take chances with 7 like 4. But they probably won't of course.

Can't wait for the loc tests.

Harada mentioned there would be two new mechanics. Interested in seeing those.

Plus, one of the new characters is supposed to have some element from 2D fighting games. Interested in seeing that too.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Craziest week ever.

I cannot wait to play Omega. Capcom keeping SFIV alive is the most worthwhile thing they are doing these days.

Is Bayo 2 out? Max is playing it right now.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I always thought 4 was basically just ripping off Virtua Fighter 3, right down to the tepid reception.

VF3 was well liked by the competitive scene, but disliked by the more general audience. Not sure if that's the case for T4 - always got the impression that it was shunned by the hardcore Tekken guys.

Kumubou

Pretty much what people want from Tekken these days. Basically what Namco did with Tekken in 2003 they should've done with it in 2014 in T7... although they should've kept in the oven longer to tune out balance issues.
There's a huge risk in upending the series like that, though. If you change everything too much, you're going to piss off the long-time fans. Doubly so if you suspect there are a relapsed fans, which I think is the case with Tekken. I suspect they're in a similar situation to what Magic: The Gathering was a few years back, where there were a lot of people who enjoyed playing the game but walked because it got too damn complicated. The number of people who downloaded Tekken Revolution would hint toward that, as well (it's free to play, but getting anyone's attention for even a free product is hard enough).

I don't think they want to end up with what happened to GGXrd, where the game changed enough to irritate long-time players, but didn't change enough to get the attention of new players -- or to give them any real chance. Personally, I'm expecting about as much of a change in Tekken between TTT2 and T7 as there was between VF5 and VF5:FS. A lot of mechanics will probably get tweaked and streamlined, and there might be one or two major things that get completely overhauled, but at the end of the day people should expect a similar game.

VF3 was well liked by the competitive scene, but disliked by the more general audience. Not sure if that's the case for T4 - always got the impression that it was shunned by the hardcore Tekken guys.
I think the price for VF3 hurt it more than anything. When I was growing up, that's the number one through five reason why I didn't play it -- the game was too damn expensive. I think if it had the same availability (arcade and console) and price at Tekken 3, it would have been fine. Whereas with T4, Tekken players hated T4 so much they bailed out for Soul Calibur 2.

Laconic

Banned

Ah, I see. I did not know that the competitive scene liked Virtua Fighter 3. Has VF ever has a general audience? :p You're absolutely correct about T4. Just-frame Laser Scraper fishing ruined the game.

Top Bottom