• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Tournament Weekend: Canada Cup & CPT Latin America Finals (10/28-11/02)

Neoxon

TASTE THE RAINBOW!!!!!

giphy.gif

HardRojo

He Du it! But man I need to re-watch those last few seconds, I felt like some kind of BS took that round away from Xiao Hai. Anyway, well deserved for Du, playing at such level with 3 different characters is no easy feat, he's on another level now.

Wallach

seriously I can't get over how free that GF was

there was a round xiaohai won by hitting like... 10 jump backs with DPs

and it was the only round where it looked like he knew what the fuck to do

every other aspect of that matchup was a total blow up for him

Zackat

seriously I can't get over how free that GF was

there was a round xiaohai won by hitting like... 10 jump backs with DPs

and it was the only round where it looked like he knew what the fuck to do

every other aspect of that matchup was a total blow up for him

no answer for the drop kick is the weirdest thing

So will people finally stop riding Justin's jock and recognize that Du is clearly the best in the US (and has been for some time)?

Justin was doing better than Du earlier, so he had crown. Du has surpassed him now. He has the crown now.

Its no big deal. Or dick riding. No need for drama.

I hope Xiao hits the lab for the drop kick.

FluxWaveZ

no answer for the drop kick is the weirdest thing

It's super crazy in his case, too, because he plays Cammy. She's the only character in the game who can back dash after blocking the drop kick to completely avoid anything Mika does unless she anticipates that and dashes in afterwards. He didn't even do it once.

FACE

Banned
It's super crazy in his case, too, because he plays Cammy. She's the only character in the game who can back dash after blocking the drop kick to completely avoid anything Mika does unless she anticipates that and dashes in afterwards. He didn't even do it once.

It wouldn't surprise me if Xiaohai doesn't know the match up, when he played Xyzzy at SEAM it also didn't look like he knew what to do against Birdie.

lupinko

Tokido is actually at 1048 CPT global points to Justin Wong's 984 CPT global points.

Ah my mistake, but for awhile Justin was leading the points race.

I'm not discounting Du, he played amazing. Just explaining Chen being a fanboy, that Justin is part of the old guard.

Tripon

Ah my mistake, but for awhile Justin was leading the points race.

I'm not discounting Du, he played amazing. Just explaining Chen being a fanboy, that Justin is part of the old guard.

True, also Justin was living with James Chen for a while.

FluxWaveZ

If Mika starts getting you with dropkick lol...godamn it's a wrap.

That's why:

1. It's super telegraphed (35f startup)
2. You can neutral jump it for a full punish.
3. You can DP it after a block if you guess right.
4. You can backdash to avoid a follow-up st.LK or command grab (Cammy specific)
5. You can literally press any button (jab, especially) to interrupt it. If you mash jab while Mika is doing it, you'll beat it out 90% of the time, that's how unprecise you need to be.

mbpm1

At first I thought he was just unsure, but it legit looked like he knew nothing about the move lol

He didn't even jump it once. It's like he thought Mika could cancel it into wingless airplane or something

JayEH

So weird to see the top player in the world not know the matchup. I imagine he'll be spending a lot of time with Mika in the lab now.

Even at point blank? And does she go over lows once she's in the air(once it starts to come out) or can she still be swept? As Gief I always try to react to those with his st.hp because of the armor or just a neutral jump but I'm curious if there are other options as well.

And Du wasn't even mixing in charged/non-charged to try to throw him off on top of that. I think I saw only a couple of non-charged hks from Du in both WFs and GFs. Crazy stuff. Reminds me how Daigo wasn't punishing Alucard's Balrog whenever he did his cr.mk target combo or sweep at ECT I think during that FT.10 gauntlet or whatever. Just seems like complete unawareness in both cases.

Tripon

There's still the Capcom Pro Tour Latin American Finals are Wed., Nov. 2nd.

It's KBrad, Keoma and others best chance to qualify.

However, next week tournaments are:

Smash Summit 3 for Melee (This isn't really a tournament but some some of Big Brother type thing for a weekend where a bunch of invited Melee players hang out, play crew battles, then do an invitational tournament on the last day at some house in L.A.), RedBull Last chance qualifiers and the Capcom Pro Tour North American Regional Finals, Wizard World Pittsburgh (Last Tekken 7 North American tournament before the NA finals in San Francisco), Youmacon, VSL The Fist Season 3, and
GODSGARDEN Vs YOUDEAL 5 on 5.

FluxWaveZ

Even at point blank? And does she go over lows once she's in the air(once it starts to come out) or can she still be swept? As Gief I always try to react to those with his st.hp because of the armor or just a neutral jump but I'm curious if there are other options as well.

And Du wasn't even mixing in charged/non-charged to try to throw him off on top of that. I think I saw only a couple of non-charged hks from Du in both WFs and GFs. Crazy stuff. Reminds me how Daigo wasn't punishing Alucard's Balrog whenever he did his cr.mk target combo or sweep at ECT I think during that FT.10 gauntlet or whatever. Just seems like complete unawareness in both cases.

If Cammy blocks a fully charged drop kick (at any distance), she can back dash. Mika literally has nothing she can do to counter this except for dashing in herself and then doing a (command) grab or an attack. And if a Mika guesses wrong and Cammy decided to just sit there, Cammy will punish it. Cammy is the only character who can do this because of her back dash properties: any typical follow-up that Mika can do after the blocked drop kick will completely whiff.

Mika's sweep doesn't work like anyone else's, she can't punish a back dashing opponent in that kind of situation. It's way too slow and garbage; it's the worst sweep in the entire game.

And yeah, Du didn't need to try to throw his opponent off with fake drop kick charges because his opponent wasn't doing anything against them ever. That's the best feeling as a Mika player; when someone just lets you run wild.

Mika's sweep doesn't work like anyone else's, she can't punish a back dashing opponent in that kind of situation. It's way too slow and garbage; it's the worst sweep in the entire game.

Sorry, I meant can Mika be swept(or hit by any type of low) out of her charged hk once the animation has her in the air? By any character. Or would Mika go over it or certain ones?

EDIT- I remember seeing Fuudo use cr.lk or cr.mk in order to low profile certain moves as well. I'm just curious to know if any of her other moves have interesting aspects to them like that.

FluxWaveZ

Sorry, I meant can Mika be swept(or hit by any type of low) out of her charged hk once the animation has her in the air? By any character. Or would Mika go over it or certain ones?

Ah, gotcha. For cr.HKs, I'm pretty sure Mika will avoid most if not all of them while she's airborne; definitely not a good answer to that situation. On the other hand, however, there are multiple characters (Cammy included) who can low profile Mika's drop kick on reaction with a crouching kick and recover fast enough for a full punish.

Aenima

Was just glad to see Rashid reaching top 4.

Characters in this game seems in general very well balanced. Many diferent chars in top 8 in this event.

Top Bottom