• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Film Director Hideo Kojima reveals his upcoming OST for Death Stranding featuring artists such as CHVRCHES, Major Lazer, and many more!

48823827417_1e4277121b_b.jpg

Sony Interactive Entertainment, we’re excited to announce that we’ve partnered with RCA Records to release a full album for upcoming PS4 game Death Stranding. Timefall (Original Music From the World of Death Stranding) is named for the mysterious rainfall that affects all it touches, while its songs find their inspiration in the game’s narrative focus: Sam Bridges and his journey to reconnect a fractured society and save mankind from extinction.

SIE and Kojima Productions set out to find artists in many different genres whose music evoked some of the key thematic elements in Death Stranding. Each artist on Timefall spent time with the team at SIE, interacting with the game’s story and vibe, coming up with their own unique takes on connection, love, loss, and rebirth. Today, you can hear the first of these, from renowned Scottish anthemic electro-pop group CHVRCHES. After spending time with Mr. Kojima at Kojima Productions in Tokyo, the band were inspired to write an original song. We’re thrilled to share it with you, the first of several hits to come.

If you haven’t yet, listen to CHVRCHES’ song “Death Stranding” here.

The album cover hones in on the mystery of the sci-fi, action-adventure game. Take a look below.
“Death Stranding” is only the first of a full set of original songs by notable musicians from a wide range of genres. Each track from Timefall is inspired by the message and world of Death Stranding. See who’s featured on the official artist roster:
  1. “Trigger” Major Lazer x Khalid
  2. “Ghost” Au/Ra x Alan Walker
  3. “Death Stranding” CHVRCHES
  4. “YELLOW BOX” The Neighbourhood
  5. “Meanwhile…In Genova” The S.L.P.
  6. “Ludens” Bring Me the Horizon
  7. “Born in The Slumber” Flora Cash
  8. “Sing to Me” MISSIO
You can get the digital album by purchasing the Death Stranding Special Edition ($69.99 USD MSRP/ $89.99 CAD MSRP) or the Death Stranding Collector’s Edition ($199.99 USD MSRP / $249.99 CAD MSRP). Pre-order either edition now.

In the meantime, keep a watchful eye on all of our official channels for more details around Death Stranding and Timefall (Original Music from the World of Death Stranding) as we get closer to the game’s November 8 launch date.

As always, tomorrow is in your hands.

Last edited:

Inspired by Death Stranding, CHVRCHES Debuts New Song, “Death Stranding”

CHVRCHES' track is the first from an original album featuring well-known artists.

Here at Sony Interactive Entertainment, we’re excited to announce that we’ve partnered with RCA Records to release a full album for upcoming PS4 game Death Stranding. Timefall (Original Music From the World of Death Stranding) is named for the mysterious rainfall that affects all it touches, while its songs find their inspiration in the game’s narrative focus: Sam Bridges and his journey to reconnect a fractured society and save mankind from extinction.

SIE and Kojima Productions set out to find artists in many different genres whose music evoked some of the key thematic elements in Death Stranding. Each artist on Timefall spent time with the team at SIE, interacting with the game’s story and vibe, coming up with their own unique takes on connection, love, loss, and rebirth. Today, you can hear the first of these, from renowned Scottish anthemic electro-pop group CHVRCHES. After spending time with Mr. Kojima at Kojima Productions in Tokyo, the band were inspired to write an original song. We’re thrilled to share it with you, the first of several hits to come.

The album cover hones in on the mystery of the sci-fi, action-adventure game. Take a look below.

6fggZJg.jpg

“Death Stranding” is only the first of a full set of original songs by notable musicians from a wide range of genres. Each track from Timefall is inspired by the message and world of Death Stranding. See who’s featured on the official artist roster:

8. “Sing to Me” MISSIO

You can get the digital album by purchasing the Death Stranding Special Edition ($69.99 USD MSRP/ $89.99 CAD MSRP) or the Death Stranding Collector’s Edition ($199.99 USD MSRP / $249.99 CAD MSRP). Pre-order either edition now.

In the meantime, keep a watchful eye on all of our official channels for more details around Death Stranding and Timefall (Original Music from the World of Death Stranding) as we get closer to the game’s November 8 launch date.

48823827417_1e4277121b_b.jpg

Sony Interactive Entertainment, we’re excited to announce that we’ve partnered with RCA Records to release a full album for upcoming PS4 game Death Stranding. Timefall (Original Music From the World of Death Stranding) is named for the mysterious rainfall that affects all it touches, while its songs find their inspiration in the game’s narrative focus: Sam Bridges and his journey to reconnect a fractured society and save mankind from extinction.

8. “Sing to Me” MISSIO

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I think its very good. We're going to find out if the game soundtrack is any good during a playthrough.

brap

Banned
Did he just look at Pitchforks top new albums or something? I was surprised at seeing BMTH in there then I forgot they just play shitty pop music now.

Gargus

Banned
The more I hear about this game the less impressed I am. Just feels like a ego-stroking circle jerk with a bunch of celebs and a wannabe-Hollywood director at this point. Just sell me on the game, this is a game right?

Sounds more like you're a contrarian deep down.

Kojima hasn't been talking up his game or saying its revolutionary or anything like that at all. It's the gamers who are the ones putting it on a pedestal, not him.

Seems like a lot of people dislike him for no actual reason at all. I guess because he is popular among fans is all. I mean he got screwed by konami and with mgs5, he made pt and people loved it and he got screwed again, then he struck out on his own and created his own studio, and this is the first time in a long time he is doing something new and doing it all the way he wants to. And the public saw this and gave him huge amounts of support and maybe they supported him so much and gave him so much attention that a lot of people thought he seemed smug and a ego maniac who loves the smell of his own farts. When really he is just a guy making a game without konami interference and he is working with people he finally has a chance to work with. All i see is a kid that's been cut loose in the candy shop and is going nuts with it.

I am really looking forward to it because even if its mediocre it's going to at least be different, unique and weird. And those are all things most games are severely lacking anymore. He has his own vision and ideas and style unlike a lot of creators. Good or bad it's going to be interesting at the very least.

Sounds more like you're a contrarian deep down.

Kojima hasn't been talking up his game or saying its revolutionary or anything like that at all. It's the gamers who are the ones putting it on a pedestal, not him.

Seems like a lot of people dislike him for no actual reason at all. I guess because he is popular among fans is all. I mean he got screwed by konami and with mgs5, he made pt and people loved it and he got screwed again, then he struck out on his own and created his own studio, and this is the first time in a long time he is doing something new and doing it all the way he wants to. And the public saw this and gave him huge amounts of support and maybe they supported him so much and gave him so much attention that a lot of people thought he seemed smug and a ego maniac who loves the smell of his own farts. When really he is just a guy making a game without konami interference and he is working with people he finally has a chance to work with. All i see is a kid that's been cut loose in the candy shop and is going nuts with it.

I am really looking forward to it because even if its mediocre it's going to at least be different, unique and weird. And those are all things most games are severely lacking anymore. He has his own vision and ideas and style unlike a lot of creators. Good or bad it's going to be interesting at the very least.

Contrarian? Nah. I'm just tired of the auteur air the guy gives off these days. It's like he's still the smell of his ass on his finger and gets high off of it, and now he's got celebs getting high off of it too. I mean, it must smell pretty nice, but look at what's here.

I'm glad the dude is able to do what he wants outside of the hellish watch of Konami, but he's hardly the only big-name dev who's been screwed over by a company. It happens.

This isn't even me criticizing him per se, or his career. But all the marketing behind this game has just come off as pretentious auteur-posturing nonsense bringing back the "games-as-art" trash from years ago. 'Ya know, where the idea a game's only art if it's more like a movie than a game.

And this game, it looks like there's some neat game mechanics in there, the bigger question's if they add up to a whole worth more than the sum of their parts. Or is the game gonna rely on the big-name actors and script to make up for mediocre gameplay? Is the marketing going to keep pushing all the celebs involved as the main selling point?

Also NGL, I got a shitty feeling about this trend and what might mean for games going forward when it comes to games being "progressive" or not. Once you get big Hollywood names involved you also get the shill media involved, and we know how they are.

I love Bring Me The Horizon and CHVRCHES. BMTH already has a song called Shadow Moses on what is probably the best metalcore album of all time Sempiternal.

I have to say it...

Sorry Kojima..

You fool...

I mean, I get that you want to keep things as fresh as possible going in..

But...

I dunno, you shouldnt have talked so much about it then, post so many tweets, so many celeb pics, so many videos and interviews discussing cameos, musical guests, etc...

You are one of my favourite videogame creators of all time but this whole affair ended up rubbing me the wrong way, big time.

I really thing Kojima needs to learn a lesson: if, for one reason or another, you dont want to talk much about the gameplay and story/concept of your videogame, you should talk about the game as little as possible.

Do and enjoy all that stuff offcamera.

Celebrities and such are not what makes a videogame good or interesting, nor the reason we like you Kojima.

You are putting the spotlight way too much on the things that will never make your games better and that can, instead, sour or even ruin them altogether.

Top Bottom