• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Announced (First on PS4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I know is from planning long ago, and that was that it was going to become more action oriented. But that in itself, doesn't really mean anything..

This means everything for me. As long as it's not that same ATB from the original VII that I can't play anymore...

It really feelings like getting rid of Wada was the best thing that could've happened to Square. And also making back the money from the initial loss off FFXIV 1.0 as well.

A lot of the foundation for the success found in today's SE, is actually thanks to Wada though...

He was the one who made the unpopular decision back then that SE needed to be a more diverse company. To be mobile. To be Western. To be online. To be Japanese.

SE today has a very diverse pool of stable IPs on the console market from a western market perspective. SE's had a rough couple of years when it comes to their Japanese IPs, but they appear to be rebouncing back after righting the FFXIV ship.

Mobile makes them a shit-ton of money in Japan. We hate all the mobile announcements, but it makes them money. And XIV's rebirth is also printing them money.

And said $$$ is what allows us to see them reinvesting back into console gaming, opening an old-school RPG studio in Tokyo, and funding Yoko Taro's WILD RIDE.

I really hope Sony helps speed up game development, I rather seen it being exclusive for a long time than waiting five years for this.

Yeah.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I actually kinda hope they give Tifa her AC look.

I know I'd be happy either way, totally loved her AC look and her old look looks good with the AC design as well.

I dunno why but I really do get the sense that Kitase and Nomura are really trying to capture the essence of OG FFVII. I dont doubt the Compilation will be involved in some way but details in the trailer like Cloud wearing his original purple uniform, and the Easter eggs like the dolphin T shirt and 7th Heaven sign. And everything Nomura has said so far is really encouraging. I just have a good feeling. Or maybe I'm just consumed by the hype. Either way, choo choo!

Edit: and there is no way they are taking the death out, I'll bet my house on it. That's like taking out Meteor or Sephiroth. It's central to the games plot.

Agreed. I'm glad they are both on it.

OmegaDL50

I started playing FF7 again on Steam with the Reunion mod installed.

It adds enough appropriate tweaks to not deviate too much from the original source material and also cleans up the localization to make it more consistent and aligned with the Japanese version but without too many artistic liberties taken with the text.

Best part is makes the character models outside of battle more consistent with the in-battle character models.

Here's a few comparison screens.

3Dc1rzo.jpg

64up2Rs.jpg

And a single bullet should be able to take down a man, no matter how strong. That's why I said the Compilation skewed people perspective. It raised the expectation for "Soldier 1st Class" from "a highly competent operatives" to "faster-than-a-speeding-bullet superhuman".

If a bullet is all it takes to kill a man no matter how strong, then Cloud should have died when Sephiroth impaled him right? Also, why didn't Sephiroth die when Cloud stabbed him with the Buster Sword? I would imagine being stabbed by either sword would be just as fatal as a single gunshot.

I understand your assertions that the compilation is depicting SOLDIERS as super human, though I've always had the sense that SOLDIERS were super human in the original FF7.

Giever

And a single bullet should be able to take down a man, no matter how strong. That's why I said the Compilation skewed perspective. It changed the idea of "Soldier 1st Class" from "a highly competent operatives" to "faster-than-a-speeding-bullet superhuman".

If that's how you feel then how do you compartmentalize the first enemies in the game? They straight-up shoot Cloud and Co. in battle. Because it's just a battle? They're still getting shot with machine guns, taking damage, and surviving (easily). You can't have it both ways.

If a bullet is all it takes to kill a man no matter how strong, then Cloud should have died when Sephiroth impaled him right? Also, why didn't Sephiroth die when Cloud stabbed him with the Buster Sword? I would imagine being stabbed by either sword would be just as fatal as a single gunshot.

I understand your assertions that the compilation is depicting SOLDIERS as super human, though I've always had the sense that SOLDIERS were super human in the original FF7.

Cloud's was not a fatal wound, and Sephiroth is a monster. I mean, seriously do you disagree that a man would generally be killed by a single, right-placed bullet? It's not like "oh, he's a SOLDIER, then at minimum you'd need to put 200 bullets into his body before he dies".

And no, the 1st Class SOLDIERs were never depicted as superhuman in the original. Only Sephiroth was. Cloud and co. encountered and defeated many nameless 1st Class SOLDIERs when infiltrating the Mako Cannon, and Zack... well, he's shot to death by Shinra grunts.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
maybe less the feedback, but showing the game or talking about it.
i don't wanna be in the dark for this game like versus was for years.

They can do that at trade shows. The current ATR method for XV is too much to the point of over-saturation because they have nothing to show except the same few things over and over.

Night_Knight

Unconfirmed Member
They can do that at trade shows. The current ATR method for XV is too much to the point of over-saturation because they have nothing to show except the same few things over and over.

Which is really funny considering how starved we were for VersusXIII back then...oh the irony.

mejin

I guess it depends on whether or not XV/KH3 XB1 SKU aren't selling enough to offset standard SKU development cost + the kickbacks they get from Sony from keeping it exclusive.

Xbox versions already sells bad when launch is simultaneously, I can't even imagine when is a late port. They should just focus on FFXVI imediately after Remake is out of the way.

tkscz

It adds enough appropriate tweaks to not deviate too much from the original source material and also cleans up the localization to make it more consistent and aligned with the Japanese version but without too many artistic liberties taken with the text.

Best part is makes the character models outside of battle more consistent with the in-battle character models.

I have to get this mod.

While I was excited by the news of a remake, I realized that FF7 has a lot of quirkiness in it that if removed, would make the game pretty boring. Like, a lot of the enemies in the original game are pretty silly looking, would they work for the new look? Is it going to have the "edge" of Advent Children?

Cloud's was not a fatal wound, and Sephiroth is a monster. I mean, seriously do you disagree that a man would generally be killed by a single, right-placed bullet? It's not like "oh, he's a SOLDIER, then at minimum you'd need to put 200 bullets into his body before he dies".

And no, the 1st Class SOLDIERs were never depicted as superhuman in the original. Only Sephiroth was. Cloud and co. encountered and defeated many nameless 1st Class SOLDIERs when infiltrating the Mako Cannon, and Zack... well, he's shot to death by Shinra grunts.

Yes Sephiroth was an outlier, and yes there was a bunch of fodder SOLDIER 1st class enemies. If your telling me that Zack's original death at the hands of a bunch of Shinra grunts is totally fine, then explain to me why, as others have pointed out, Cloud could get shot multiple times by the first two MPs in the game, and not die. This is why I found Crisis Core's ending to be more compelling, yes, you are right a well place shot should kill someone, but for as ridiculous as Zack's Last Stand was, I found it to be a more believable death for him. Especially the transition from the army, to the last three grunts at the end, not that dissimilar from the three that chased him down in the original.

If that's how you feel then how do you compartmentalize the first enemies in the game? They straight-up shoot Cloud and Co. in battle. Because it's just a battle? They're still getting shot with machine guns, taking damage, and surviving (easily). You can't have it both ways.

Two Words

Yes Sephiroth was an outlier, and yes there was a bunch of fodder SOLDIER 1st class enemies. If your telling me that Zack's original death at the hands of a bunch of Shinra grunts is totally fine, then explain to me why, as others have pointed out, Cloud could get shot multiple times by the first two MPs in the game, and not die. This is why I found Crisis Core's ending to be more compelling, yes, you are right a well place shot should kill someone, but for as ridiculous as Zack's Last Stand was, I found it to be a more believable death for him. Especially the transition from the army, to the last three grunts at the end, not that dissimilar from the three that chased him down in the original.
You're complaining about the reality of a game where Sephiroth attacks you by blowing up the sun into a supernova multiple times and you can survive it pretty well....

You're complaining about the reality of a game where Sephiroth attacks you by blowing up the sun into a supernova multiple times and you can survive it pretty well....

No, I'm arguing that I found the craziness of Crisis Core to be a better, albeit crazier, depiction of Zack's death, then his original.

will they be using ACTIVE TIME REPORT to constantly update us on this game? or even listen to feedback.
I hope not.
One and done.

With all the interviews rolling around on how SE is trying harder to focus on their creators, if a single other game starts doing the garbage that they're doing with XV, I'll stop even looking at those games.

maybe less the feedback, but showing the game or talking about it.
i don't wanna be in the dark for this game like versus was for years.
Don't worry, they'll spoil the entire game for everyone, including all the new and changed stuff. This is Square Enix.

Pagusas

Elden Member

I really wish with the new PC/ps4 release they'd update all the backgrounds to a higher resolution. Hire the people who did RE's HD update or something. That's the hardest part of playing og ff7 now is the horribly low resolution backgrounds. It's why I play on the vita as at least it helps minimize how bad they look (Esspecially with the filtering option)

Two Words

Exactly! FFVII is crazy! So to me, Crisis Core's ending is the kind of crazy that works.
But you're saying him being able to be killed by a single bullet makes no sense. If you want to go down that rabbit hole, you're going to have a lot of cognitive dissonance to work out.

But you're saying him being able to be killed by a single bullet makes no sense. If you want to go down that rabbit hole, you're going to have a lot of cognitive dissonance to work out.

I never said that, I agreed with Scrooge that yes, a single bullet should be able to kill someone. He's not wrong, I just don't agree that Zack would have let himself die to like three grunts, hence I find him dying to a small army a more satisfying way for him to go out.

wmlk

I don't mind FFVII's version of Zack's death and I don't mind CC's either.

CC was a different game than FFVII. CC was about Zack's story and romanticized his whole character. There's really nothing wrong with that. The game depicted him as a hero because that's how he wanted to be remembered. That's why the tone of the ending is what it is.

However, I don't want that depiction of the ending to be in FFVII remake, because it's going to tell a different story altogether. FFVII wasn't about romanticizing Zack, and the remake won't be either. I think it's best to keep things separate and be more brutal in its scenes just like the original.

-Ryn

Banned

These aren't regular humans though. They are infused with mako and injected with Jenova's cells. I would imagine that along with the superhuman abilities they are confirmed to have, they would also have regenerative abilities.

If I recall correctly you don't actually fight any 1st class SOLDIER's until later in the game and they were a decent challenge unless you had power leveled yourself. They weren't incredibly week mooks. Regardless though, considering how the original games combat worked, I'm not so sure its a good example to draw on when analyzing the hypothetical strength of superhumans. From the perspective of the lore, they were always a pretty big deal and were Shinra's number most elite force that they used for the most dangerous of missions.

Honestly I hope they strike a balance with how Zack's final moments are depicted, wmlk brings up a good point. CC is a very romanticized tale.

I understand why people like the cold blooded murder of Zack in the original, I just imagine him, doing much more than that original depiction. I can also see why people would be put off by the ridiculousness of CC's ending. So maybe the remake will strike a balance.

OmegaDL50

I have to get this mod.

While I was excited by the news of a remake, I realized that FF7 has a lot of quirkiness in it that if removed, would make the game pretty boring. Like, a lot of the enemies in the original game are pretty silly looking, would they work for the new look? Is it going to have the "edge" of Advent Children?

I really wish with the new PC/ps4 release they'd update all the backgrounds to a higher resolution. Hire the people who did RE's HD update or something. That's the hardest part of playing og ff7 now is the horribly low resolution backgrounds. It's why I play on the vita as at least it helps minimize how bad they look (Esspecially with the filtering option)

The Reunion mod isn't just for Steam there is a PSX version as well. Well you apply to the original PSX isos, but naturally you'd need to own the PSX version to make this all legal.

I suppose if you could somehow patch the PSX game and copy it to the Vita it would achieve a similar experience....I guess?

Now if there was only pre-rendered background mod that worked in tandem with the Reunion mod, it would be perfect.

HeelPower

They should let sony market the game this time.

It should only be shown when ready at E3,Gamescome,TGS and their new experience in december.On Sony's stage.

Outside of these major events,It shouldn't be shown imo.

They should treat it like other major AAA games,with some measure of grace.Much like Uncharted and other big games.

Two Words

Honestly I hope they strike a balance with how Zack's final moments are depicted, wmlk brings up a good point. CC is a very romanticized tale.

I understand why people like the cold blooded murder of Zack in the original, I just imagine him, doing much more than that original depiction. I can also see why people would be put off by the ridiculousness of CC's ending. So maybe the remake will strike a balance.

Just put your own imagination to it. He's on the lamb with Cloud, constantly being chased. Eventually, he slips. He's not perfect. He can be defeated and was.

Don't worry even people with English as their first language didn't understand the story because of how poor the localization was. People still think Sephiroth killed aerith when it was actually Jenova. You never actually see the actual sephiroth until the very very end of the game. The whole time it's Jenova shapeshifted as sephiroth.

what the

Just put your own imagination to it. He's on the lamb with Cloud, constantly being chased. Eventually, he slips. He's not perfect. He can be defeated and was.

Yeah, I imagine a SOLDIER can fight three grunts.

I guess the point is moot at this point, no matter what, no matter how it's depicted, Zack's fate is sealed much like Aeris'. His death is one of many cosmic cogs that turn the wheels of fate, leading Cloud to Midgar.

Pagusas

Elden Member
The Reunion mod isn't just for Steam there is a PSX version as well. Well you apply to the original PSX isos, but naturally you'd need to own the PSX version to make this all legal.

I suppose if you could somehow patch the PSX game and copy it to the Vita it would achieve a similar experience....I guess?

Now if there was only pre-rendered background mod that worked in tandem with the Reunion mod, it would be perfect.

Honesly the super deformed characters never bothered me like they do everyone else. I almost find them part of the charm. The pixilated low resolution backgrounds drive me nuts though.

Cloud could get shot multiple times by the first two MPs in the game, and not die.

Yes, because it's just the game's battle system. Relegating anything that happens during a battle system as dramatic approximation and not what actually happens is the only way stories could make sense in a turn-based RPG. Else you'd get questions like

- "Why did Cloud run from mere eight Shinra grunts if they only do 10 damage to him each and he can defeat them in one hit?"

These aren't regular humans though. They are infused with mako and injected with Jenova's cells. I would imagine that along with the superhuman abilities they are confirmed to have, they would also have regenerative abilities.

If I recall correctly you don't actually fight any 1st class SOLDIER's until later in the game and they were a decent challenge unless you had power leveled yourself. They weren't incredibly week mooks. Regardless though, considering how the original games combat worked, I'm not so sure its a good example to draw on when analyzing the hypothetical strength of superhumans. From the perspective of the lore, they were always a pretty big deal and were Shinra's number most elite force that they used for the most dangerous of missions.

I don't disagree with any of this. I'm just very-very iffy on the notion that a person is not strong and heroic if he's defeated by three fully armed soldiers. It's not an arm-wrestling contest.

Turin

Banned
Alright, I thought I'd give my two cents on a couple of Verendus' points.

They want to integrate Zack more, so how do you do it? In the original, it's very much an optional thing, but that's not as realistic now. You can flesh it out too, but in order to integrate it, it needs to be placed somewhere. This is a technically a script change, but it's not a bad thing. It also takes work.

I think dream sequences could be a way to go with that. It would start out with Cloud seeing this person and initially isn't sure who he is.

You could even throw in some freaky shit in a case like that since we know how screwed up Cloud is.

How do you tackle Cloud beating the hell out of Aeris? It was fine then, but this needs to be thought about. It's kind of an important story beat for his character because of what happens next, so do you want to change it? But at the same time, is it something you're comfortable leaving in, or should it be altered a little?

All things considered, I personally think they should probably change it to a choking scene, particularly if they want to keep a T rating(I hope it's M but I doubt it). It would still be disturbing and you'd fear for her life. It also makes Cloud's later resistance to Sephiroth's influence, when he wants him to kill her before just doing it himself, more dramatic.

Another thing is, if Nomura still interprets Cloud's strength the same way, he'd crush her head like a watermelon.

Yes, because it's just the game's battle system. Relegating anything that happens during a battle system as dramatic approximation and not what actually happens is the only way stories could make sense in a turn-based RPG. Else you'd get questions like

- "Why did Cloud run from mere eight Shinra grunts if they only do 10 damage to him each and he can defeat them in one hit?"

Because he is on a speedrun obviously. Gotta shave off whatever seconds you can for that world record Final Fantasy VII speedrun. :D

I don't disagree with any of this. I'm just very-very iffy on the notion that a person is not strong and heroic if he's defeated by three fully armed soldiers. It's not an arm-wrestling contest.

I can agree to that. I mean no matter how Zack dies, he will be remembered as a hero. I'm just in the crazy camp that likes how ridiculous Crisis Core depicted his last moments.

Wazzy

Banned
I never said that, I agreed with Scrooge that yes, a single bullet should be able to kill someone. He's not wrong, I just don't agree that Zack would have let himself die to like three grunts, hence I find him dying to a small army a more satisfying way for him to go out.
But he doesn't die from a single bullet. He gets multiple fired into him before he finally dies. He also kills a few grunts before the three get him which we can take that he was weak from that combined with being caught off guard when the three grunts corner him and fire the first bullet.

Plus I don't know how Zack is compared to Cloud. It's always been very evident Cloud is more powerful than Zack even though Zack had the experiment done on him. We also have to take into account that Zack was carrying Cloud around while running from the soldiers and was probably exhausted in his own way from the second experiment.

It's okay for Zacks death to be quick. He does his best for Cloud and in the end, he's the reason Cloud got away. That makes him special enough to not need any justification as a good character.

Plus I love his truck convo with Cloud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom