• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Announced (First on PS4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sami+

It shouldn't be that challenging if they just focused on remaking graphics.

When you start changing the tone and arstyle of the game then every other part starts not fitting.

There'd be no point to it if after all these years all we got was a Bravely Default looking touch up imo.

About cloud beating on Aeris.

I personally think it's fine to just show him violently shake her or something.
it's supposed to be out of character for cloud at that time..

if he beats her in the original script, he should beat her here though. maybe they can just imply it instead.

-Ryn

Banned
There's a speed painting series done by a dude named Lap Pun Cheung that is really good and gives a nice idea of what the game could look like IMO.

lap-pun-cheung-final-fantasy-vii-collection-001.jpg

You can see the rest of the gallery here. The dude is good. I really hope that the remake captures the atmosphere and charm of the original like these are able to.

reading all the hype surrounding this ip square enix are better of cutting this game in half. lol
Into 2 separate releases? Sure if it helps with quality.

Half of the content? FUCK NO. Either do it right or don't do it at all >:/

There's a speed painting series done by a dude named Lap Pun Cheung that is really good and gives a nice idea of what the game could look like IMO.

You can see the rest of the gallery here. The dude is good. I really hope that the remake captures the atmosphere and charm of the original like these are able to.

Into 2 separate releases? Sure if it helps with quality.

Half of the content? FUCK NO. Either do it right or don't do it at all >:/

Fantastic stuff right here!

There'd be no point to it if after all these years all we got was a Bravely Default looking touch up imo.

Then, what's the point of remaking a game if you're gonna change it entirely, even to it's basic elements that made people love it so much?. At that point it should be a new game.

Mikey Jr.

God, I wish the FF7 PC port was coming to PS4 soon. Have a real hankering to play it again, but I might as well wait till the PC port. They said Spring dammit!

Skeff

God, I wish the FF7 PC port was coming to PS4 soon. Have a real hankering to play it again, but I might as well wait till the PC port. They said Spring dammit!

Same, absolutely gutted about this as odd as it sounds. I'd love to be playing through it right now on ps4 to control the hype a little.

Kikujiro

Same here, we laughed at the idea of a port, but S-E was pretty smart, I think a lot of people are going to buy it, especially if it'll have a new translation.

Why not just play it on PC? It's not exactly a graphics hog, you know.

Kagari has said that she's heard that the port is taking time because they're doing a new translation. If that's the case, then it'll be worth the wait. I do wonder if they'll change Barret since he apparently didn't speak like that in the Japanese version of the game. That was something done with the western translation.

Sami+

Then, what's the point of remaking a game if you're gonna change it entirely, even to it's basic elements that made people love it so much?. At that point it should be a new game.

Because you're playing through the same story with the same characters in the same world. FF7 is worth way more than just the sum of its parts, it's worth exploring again with a gameplay style that isn't super dated.

Same. I want them trophies. A new official translation would be sweet too. In fact, it's the one thing I want from this port.

Voror

Will the PS4 port be playable on Vita too by any chance? Or just the regular version? I've got the latter but would like to try the new one if it's got a better translation.

Because you're playing through the same story with the same characters in the same world. FF7 is worth way more than just the sum of its parts, it's worth exploring again with a gameplay style that isn't super dated.

If you start changing the scenes, how the world originally looked, the characters, their interactions, etc... is not the same story and characters anymore.

Zoe

Will the PS4 port be playable on Vita too by any chance? Or just the regular version? I've got the latter but would like to try the new one if it's got a better translation.
Any game that doesn't have accessory limitations can be remote played.

This is going to be amazing.

They need to keep the don corneo section in the game.

Next up I need a xenogears remake or a proper sequel.

Its coming. I want to believe.

Skilletor

Barrett in the psx version is almost offensively stereotypical. He's one step away from some, 'yes, massa.' shit.

This translation is terribad.

I know I'm late to the subject, but I definitely prefer the way Zack's scene is handled in FFVII over Crisis Core's ending. Spoiler tagging just in case.

I like the truck conversation in the original which Crisis Core mostly skips over, and I do appreciate how abrupt Zach's death scene is from basically getting sucker punched while checking on Cloud. Zack fights off the troops but loses his life for trying to protect his friend. Cloud crawling up to Zack's dead body then screws him up even worse than he already is and the stage is set for him to be found as a complete trainwreck in Midgar. I'm alright with the idea of Zack sacrificing himself to save Cloud, but everything after the three soldiers shooting him in Crisis Core feels really unnecessary to me. It feels like the developers were trying their best to make it seem like a "happy ending" given the circumstances when it's supposed to be more of a gut punch like Aerith's death in the original. I also don't like how his final words to Cloud are handled. Maybe if it was something short and simple about them being friends, but even that might be pushing it. The whole thing about "my dreams are your dreams" and "you're my living legacy" makes no sense to me and screws up Cloud's character development. It frames the events like Cloud is intentionally copying Zack when that isn't the case at all in VII. I don't really get how Cloud's supposed to go from "I'm your living legacy" upon Zack's death to being a blubbering mess by the time he reaches Midgar.

Why tone him down? I don't think anyone's opinion's changed on foul mouthed rocket mechanics. If you're referring to his beratement of his female collegeue, there might be some different comments made than before... But I can't recall anything problematic.

Yes the parts specific to Shera was what I meant more than anything, not just the cursing in general.

Some of the dialogue is cringe worthy, but I highly prefer the CC version of Zack's death. Yes it was overly melodramatic but this is FF.

CC in general was a fine game, it was just hindered by Genesis and his awful characterization and book quoting.

OmegaDL50

I hope they keep the inside reference to Midgar being referenced to Pizza.

For example things like Mayor Domino and his assistant goes by the name of Hut, both alluding to Domino's Pizza, and Pizza Hut as a sort of inside joke.

I'm sure in the Japanese release there was some sort of creative wordplay going on here, but you know poor localization and all that.

flyover

I know I'm late to the subject, but I definitely prefer the way Zack's scene is handled in FFVII over Crisis Core's ending. Spoiler tagging just in case.

Yeah, I'm with you. In fact, I kind of hope they ignore all the spinoffs altogether in the remake. (I think of them all as fan fiction, anyway. Official fan fiction, but still...)

In any case, I'm excited to see what we get! If I don't like it, I can always replay the original.

Edit:
That album is just incredible.
It's gorgeous!

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I hope they keep the inside reference to Midgar being referenced to Pizza.

For example things like Mayor Domino and his assistant goes by the name of Hut, both alluding to Domino's Pizza, and Pizza Hut as a sort of inside joke.

I'm sure in the Japanese release there was some sort of creative wordplay going on here, but you know poor localization and all that.
Never picked up on this. I hope they keep this cheesy stuff in. Pun intended.

Two Words

I still have my Vita save at the point around when you are in that desert pit area. I'm trying to fight off playing it because I want to have more time between playing the game and the remake, but it's kind of hard to hold off. I kind of like the idea of letting myself forget the finer details before playing the remake.

anaron

Late to this convo but I have to agree with this. I like Zack having one last stand and fighting to his death against an unstoppable army, but everything beyond that was just WAY too much. His final speech to Cloud, Aerith lifting him into heaven, "it feels good", the music, like come on too much is too much.
and then you get Aeris directly sensing his death which totally contradicts the original game - yet again.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I still have my Vita save at the point around when you are in that desert pit area. I'm trying to fight off playing it because I want to have more time between playing the game and the remake, but it's kind of hard to hold off. I kind of like the idea of letting myself forget the finer details before playing the remake.
The remake is years away, though.

Late to this convo but I have to agree with this. I like Zack having one last stand and fighting to his death against an unstoppable army, but everything beyond that was just WAY too much. His final speech to Cloud, Aerith lifting him into heaven, "it feels good", the music, like come on too much is too much.
This sounds bad. I never finished Crisis Core.

Zack was interesting as this wierd cypher in the original game... The "real Cloud".

I'm greatly disappointed that apparently CC pulled a George Lucas and gave us way too much information about the origin of a minor character. I'm starting to understand why there is this element of fandom that's like "I want to see more of Zack-Kun!" Lame.

Two Words

The remake is years away, though.

This sounds bad. I never finished Crisis Core.

Zack was interesting as this wierd cypher in the original game... The "real Cloud".

I'm greatly disappointed that apparently CC pulled a George Lucas and gave us way too much information about the origin of a minor character. I'm starting to understand why there is this element of fandom that's like "I want to see more of Zack-Kun!" Lame.
I haven't fully played through FFVII in probably 7 years. I kind of want to just let it fade away in my memory until the remake.

anaron

Zack went from being essentially a bystander caught up in this sprawling disaster -- and died in an abruptly brutal and tragically forgotten way saving our protagonist, -- to the master manipulator of VII's world and story.

it astounds me that people can like Crisis Core at all when the writing is so goddamn awful.

OmegaDL50

1. Heard something about a new translation.

2. Trophies

3. 50" tv

4. I hate playing anything on my PC.

I don't see how any those reasons are against the PC version except for fourth which is a personal reason.

1) Retranslations already exist for the PC version, very accurate ones that respect spirit the Official English localization without any grammatical errors, maintaining canon naming conventions, that is more in line with original Japanese script without being a bland and lifeless transliteration.

2) Trophies exist on the Steam version

3) HDMI exists.

Other than this, there will be pretty much zero difference between the eventual PS4 release that is based on the Steam version to begin with.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Crisis Core seems to be a pretty divisive game. I personally loved it, but eh, opinions. I can see why some people didn't.

I don't think Aerith sensed Zack's death directly. She always had a connection to the Lifestream and probably had a "feeling", like when you feel dread or a sudden pang of sadness but can't attribute it to anything.

OmegaDL50

Crisis Core seems to be a pretty divisive game. I personally loved it, but eh, opinions. I can see why some people didn't.

I don't think Aerith sensed Zack's death directly. She always had a connection to the Lifestream and probably had a "feeling", like when you feel dread or a sudden pang of sadness but can't attribute it to anything.

Nah. She probably knew Zack died.

In fact when you visit Elmyra to check on Marlene to see if she's safe after the destruction of Sector 7, there is a whole flash back sequence, which Aerith basically tells her that her husband had died, and Elmyra getting a letter a few days later that confirmed it.

Like you said, I think the Cetra in general have a strong connection to the Lifestream and know in a 6th sense sort of way when certain individuals die and return to the planet.

Lemondish

I don't see how any those reasons are against the PC version except for fourth which is a personal reason.

1) Retranslations already exist for the PC version, very accurate ones that respect spirit the Official English localization without any grammatical errors, maintaining canon naming conventions, that is more in line with original Japanese script without being a bland and lifeless transliteration.

2) Trophies exist on the Steam version

3) HDMI exists.

Other than this, there will be pretty much zero difference between the eventual PS4 release that is based on the Steam version to begin with.

Trophies and Steam achievements are not the same thing, not if you prefer to keep them tallied on one online ID.

I'm not sure about him, but in my case I would need to buy a new PC with HDMI in addition to lugging it out of the office and down a flight of stairs just to play on the TV.

Console version trumps PC for folks like me. My PC is for work, not gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom