• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Dimensions |OT| FFV's Job System returns! (Try before you buy!)

Goli

ffdneogafheaderv3erx.png

ffdneogafheaderinfojnav6.png

q480jlo.png

In an age long past, the world was suffocating under the crushing grip of war. Only the efforts of the idealistic Avalonian Empire were enough to bring the warm embrace of peace to the land and lead it toward a new age of prosperity.

Fate itself brought together those whose lives were filled with hope and those whose duty sent them from the harsh north. As they locked eyes, the Crystal shed forth an immense light that filled the land, drowning everything in silence.

And then, the world was sundered into light and darkness.

q1koj9z.png

Final Fantasy Dimensions is the latest entry in the Final Fantasy series, previously released in Japan only as Final Fantasy Legends: Warriors of Light and Darkness (ファイナルファンタジー レジェンズ 光と闇の戦士) for NTT DoCoMo's i-mode and au's EZ web services, it finally makes its way abroad in an enhanced port with higher quality graphics and refined music by Naoshi Mizuta, now for iOS and Android devices.

On field the game plays exactly as one would expect from a classic FF game, battles on the other hand employ the Active Time Battle system with your party allowing for a maximum of five people to participate at a time. Key to the battles is the inclusion of FFV's critically acclaimed Job System that allows for extensive character customization, as well as Fusion Abilities, which are similar to FFIV: The After Years' bands.

In its original release the game was split into thirteen chapters (including the game's free prologue), however this new version is split into five (including the game's free prologue, too).

q29oj87.png

99ada4d7e788dc569bef3b9sfd.png
36d3fb9afb3e6afc568b9cfs94.png
84d51fd8a02e0cf64650cg3s9x.png
5662515de6cc3e61ffd4avtsh5.png
324928d6ce404fa23afdbcvspk.png
26a673de61ccbd115e08a13s52.png
f983a35b8e60a73017395dxsdu.png
6e416365a1892a7140c2a6tso5.png
96590255108fcbcf9100brjs0f.png
c6bcc37be9ea38845b35eu9srt.png
af668fe29ecbb04f604b17tsx3.png
6f14a6da2e982fd8beac03nsqp.png

Final Fantasy Legends: Warriors of Light and Darkness TGS 2010 PV
Final Fantasy Dimensions E3 gameplay video - Cave Battle
Final Fantasy Dimensions E3 gameplay video - Ostrich Murder
Final Fantasy Dimensions E3 gameplay video - Underground Exploration

q3xgj6j.png

Final Fantasy Legends: Warriors of Light and Darkness (feature phone version) official website.
Final Fantasy Dimensions portal site.
OST iTunes page

Looking forward to trying the demo/prologue/whatever. Hope it runs on a 3GS.

Also hoping this topic doesn't turn into 200 posts of talking about the price.

Goli

I would be far more curious if they had kept the original pixel art, I hate this filtered look.
What I hate most is how it looks like some things are filtered, some remade, and some kept the same from the original release, unfiltered. So jarring!
EDIT: It also bothers me how some screenshots despite being all the same resolution, have black bars on them. But I can live with all those faults, I think.

Looking forward to trying the demo/prologue/whatever. Hope it runs on a 3GS.

Also hoping this topic doesn't turn into 200 posts of talking about the price.
We already have the other thread for that.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I suppose the fact that you can pay as you go with chapters eases the $30 sticker shock, somewhat.

Chairhome

Just saw a video and i think i'm down. I will at least try it, and the ffv job system inclusion was a good decision. If this really is about 40 hours worth of content, I may get it (after I finish the After Years)

Vamphuntr

So anyone one has info if they tweaked anything from the original? I know that in the original JP are in limited amount so you can only max out 2 jobs and that advanced jobs are restricted to one team(light or darkness). Did they change that?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Definitely trying it. Said my bit about the pricing in the other thread. I can actually dig the look of the game in the first 4 screenshots in the OP, but it all goes downhill when there's any grass and/or trees around. The one in the village is particularly fanmade-y on the eyes.

Would give it a try, but fuck the visuals look like shit. No way to 'glass half full' this shit.

If anyone wants to check out good rpgmaker looking games on ios, check out Ash 1 and 2. Probably some of the best writing for a 'jrpg style game' this gen.

linko9

The art looks like a hideous bastardization of FFV's art style. Why not just stick with low-res pixel art (perhaps ripped straight out of FFV) if you're not going to bother making the hi-res stuff look good?

Seik

Banned
I will highly concider this when I'll get another Android platform, I bought a Nexus 7 recently and it was kind of a lemon, so I returned it for a refund, fuck that shit. I'll wait till the thing get better and buy another, more revised one.

Still salty, sorry. The game looks great and, in my case, the screenshots alone makes it more interesting than when I saw pics of FFXIII-2, heh.

zashga

Looks awful. You've got smooth sprites and pixel art seemingly mashed together at random. If it was at least consistent (i.e. all characters are smooth, backgrounds are pixelated) it would at least make a little sense. This just looks like a mess.

The five-man party and the retro job system are very appealing, though.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Kinda cool seeing the sprites and knowing where they came from, even if they have been fiddled around with.

Yuripaw

Banned
Ugh...this is the kind of game I wish they would put out on PSN/XBLA...or hell, eshop could use more love too. I don't have a friggin iOS device :(

atbigelow

WTF no android version for US? Now that I have my PS3 controller working on my tablet, I really wish there were some solid android games like this to flex it with.

Boo S-E. :(

Midou

Ugly as sin. Looks like a poorly done RPG Maker game.

Yes, atrocious. Why not make it at least FF6 quality, and RPGs, like any game where you move around a lot, are terrible on touchscreens. I was actually telling my friends a couple weekends ago I wish SE just made like an FF6 graphic game on PSN/XBL for like even $30 if it was a full length game. Instead it's like lowest quality SNES graphics with a horrible UI and controls.

Clunker

I'm very curious to give this a try. Will definitely try the prologue and might buy the first chapter if I fancy it.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Job system sounds appealing, because FFV is awesome... but uh... this looks incredibly generic. I can't imagine any effort went into this, at all - just... look at it

Edit: though the music actually seems pretty good.

Top Bottom