• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Dimensions |OT| FFV's Job System returns! (Try before you buy!)

Goli

Is the art for this game done by the same person who did the art for The After Years?

Yup, it's done by Akira Oguro. He also did the art for Guardian Cross and some Lord of Vermillion 2 cards.
I actually really like his art, but I guess it's not for everyone.

Noi

Yup, it's done by Akira Oguro. He also did the art for Guardian Cross and some Lord of Vermillion 2 cards.
I actually really like his art, but I guess it's not for everyone.

I don't think it's so much his style that's the problem. I love the art for The After Years and FFIVCC, but Dimensions' art direction is kind of a mess and all over the place, more so with the inconsistent sprites in this version.

I'll give the prologue a shot because FFV is my favorite in the series, but it's going to take a lot to get new to bite on the whole thing.

I don't mind the graphics, but the font/those text boxes look really unattractive to me. I'll definitely be checking out the Prologue next week though.

I suppose the fact that you can pay as you go with chapters eases the $30 sticker shock, somewhat.
But if you pay as you go, won't it be more expensive than just buying the whole game upfront? $28.99 for purchasing the whole set vs. 2.99 for the 1st chapter + 9.99 x 3 for chapters 2-4, for a total of $32.96.

Any word on how long the prologue is? I'm worried that it won't even get into the job system.

I think I'll buy this chapter by chapter rather than all at once. I'm a little worried that it may derail towards the end and I'm not too worried about spending two extra dollars.

RPGCrazied

Looks decent for $5, its $5 right? Or $10? Don't have any iOS things, so I can't play it anyways. Surely after time they will put it on the eShop, PSN/XBLA sometime.

Goli

Any word on how long the prologue is? I'm worried that it won't even get into the job system.

I think I'll buy this chapter by chapter rather than all at once. I'm a little worried that it may derail towards the end and I'm not too worried about spending two extra dollars.

Definitely getting the prologue, will see from there. Wonder how meaty the prologue is though.

As far as I know, the prologue is of similar length and content to the beginning of FFV (before you get your first set of jobs).

Looks decent for $5, its $5 right? Or $10? Don't have any iOS things, so I can't play it anyways. Surely after time they will put it on the eShop, PSN/XBLA sometime.

Remember it's also on Android!

As far as I know, the prologue is of similar length and content to the beginning of FFV (before you get your first set of jobs).

Did you hear/read this or is it speculation? Just curious.

I really hope that it lets you get the feel of the game and the job system.

Goli

Did you hear/read this or is it speculation? Just curious.

I really hope that it lets you get the feel of the game and the job system.

I read some Japanese wiki for the game :p. Basically it seems the prologue ends after you fight
5662515de6cc3e61ffd4avtsh5.png
which is the game's second boss.

Zoe

Damn, I'd rather buy it on Android, but I can't imagine that it'd be as easy to switch to Japanese as it is on iOS :\

(assuming iOS does support that this time)

flowsnake

Damn, I'd rather buy it on Android, but I can't imagine that it'd be as easy to switch to Japanese as it is on iOS :\

(assuming iOS does support that this time)

Can you buy it from the SE Android Market thing? It would be in Japanese.

Noi

...It's a bit worrying that SE only have this game listed for iOS on the US site. I hope they don't pull a Solo Remix and only release it there. :/

Honestly I'll get this because FFV is my favorite Final Fantasy game and probably one of my favorite games ever so I need more Job Systems

Goli

I LOVE the music playing on the official website.
I find interesting how they bundled chapters... The prologue and first chapter are stand alone, chapters 2-3 contain 4 episodes each and chapter 4 contains 3.
Also the screens at the size the site has them makes them look not so terrible, when they're that tiny they almost almost look FFIVCC quality.
Also, some things that are not touched upon the website which I think might be of interest (from wikis based on the original release):
Each "episode"/tale/whatever it is you call them (except for the prologue and the final ones) has a challenge dungeon after you complete it, similar to TAY, and...
(I know a lot of people won't like this, unless they changed it now) you Job level cap gets raised as you play the game.

Goli

I just noticed that despite what the European SE blog said about the game releasing simultaneously on iOS and Android, the English site STILL only lists "iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad" (while the Japanese one does list Android)... It's kind of suspicious.

Noi

I just noticed that despite what the European SE blog said about the game releasing simultaneously on iOS and Android, the English site STILL only lists "iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad" (while the Japanese one does list Android)... It's kind of suspicious.

*points above*

I just want to (maybe) give SE my money, why do they have to make things difficult sometimes. :|

Goli

*points above*

I just want to (maybe) give SE my money, why do they have to make things difficult sometimes. :|

Whoops.

I also wonder why they've decided to make odd changes in localization, like Freelancer now being Jobless or Runic now Attune Blade and other things like that.

I think the character art on the site is really awesome. Kind of representative of western comic book style mixed with manga.
Not something I would expect to see with Final Fantasy.

I like it.

As weirdly cheap as the game looks I really think I'm going to try it for myself and hope for the best. FFV is my favorite.

Goli

I think the character art on the site is really awesome. Kind of representative of western comic book style mixed with manga.
Not something I would expect to see with Final Fantasy.

I like it.

As weirdly cheap as the game looks I really think I'm going to try it for myself and hope for the best. FFV is my favorite.

That's Akira Oguro's art for you :). I didn't like it at first but it's really grown on me, I hope SE keeps having him make more art for their games.

I'll probably get at least the prologue and the first chapter to try it. Looks interesting if for the job system alone. I wish the look was better, the filter and the font makes it look like a crappy fan made game. :/

Goli

I've updated the OP with a link to the NZ version of the game, once it starts coming out in your iTunes store of choice you should be redirected to it, if it fails to it means it has yet to come out there.

Vamphuntr

Explain please.

In the original game, Jobs have a level cap you unlock by spending JP on them. JP is acquired by progressing through the story. If you spend all of your JP on the same jobs, you can max out 2 jobs by the end.

EDIT : Each character had his own JP in the original

Looking at the official website, you earn AP to level jobs from battles rather then progressing through the story.

It wouldn't surprise me if the game still had a level cap and Job AP cap on the earlier chapters until you reach the final one though.

Vamphuntr

Looking at the official website, you earn AP to level jobs from battles rather then progressing through the story.

It wouldn't surprise me if the game still had a level cap and Job AP cap on the earlier chapters until you reach the final one though.

AP =/= JP though.

AP will increase your job level but it would eventually cap and requires JP to unlock in the original.

JP are still in according to this shot.

Agd5v.jpg

Haunted

I for one applaud Square owning up that their own proprietary engines aren't up to snuff and embracing middleware with RPGMaker.

Kudos.

Goli

So I downloaded the game from the Japanese store but switched accounts to my US one after installing, the chapter shop shows up as empty so I guess I'll be able to purchase them once the US version goes up... And I finished the prologue. My play time as of now is 1:25, but you could probably finish the prologue in a lot less since I like to do things not everyone does like talking to every NPC or searching every pot to see if there's something. Unorganized thoughts:
-It actually doesn't look that terrible! If you look at screenshots it does but when you're actually playing it on your device of choice which has a way smaller screen all those little things SE didn't bother to re-do don't look so bad.
-I love having the option of choosing between arranged and the game's original music. The music is great, too.
-The controls of the game are really good, I was expecting to have issues selecting commands and such but it's really responsive.
-The game so far has a nice difficulty curve. Unlike TAY you can't auto-battle your way through everything.
-This probably depends on which device you play this in but it has black borders and it doesn't really run as smooth as I thought it would.

Sadly the prologue ends before you get to experiment with the job system, however, each character has a job ability equipped from the start (Diana for example has White Magic even though nobody has access to the White Mage, or any jobs, at that point).

RE: JP.
It seems that limit is still present, the Job menu has a "Max JLV up" option, the description reads "Consumes JP to increase max JLV."

Goli

Did you get this on ios or android? I checked both stores and couldn't find it.
iOS. Apparently the game was pulled from everywhere for some reason, I'm glad I got to download it, haha.
Also this game has THE CUTEST MOOGLES IN A 2D FF GAMER EVER!
A1lr888CcAAzLf-.jpg:large

And I forgot to mention something that really surprised me since it's a very SaGa-y thing, but you learn Fusion Abilities during battle without you actually having to "band" like in TAY. I was doing some random battle against some spiders in the pre-Crystal Shrine cave when suddenly Diana and Aigis did Magic Bomb, it was really shocking.

fionel

It got pulled? o_O Thought you can't do that on the app store and if you could, I wish I knew how...

I haven't played the game yet but fusion abilities is supposed to be one of the main draws.

Top Bottom