• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Dimensions |OT| FFV's Job System returns! (Try before you buy!)

Vamphuntr

I honestly quite enjoyed it. It doesn't seem to suffer from any of the problems I had with FF4 TAY so far. I really want the other chapters. :( Was hoping to play through it this weekend, but who knows when they'll get the update up?

I have faith it will be much better than FFIV TAY. While it has a pay per chapter structure, both teams are supposed to go through different stories and dungeons and acquire different jobs. As such, it shouldn't reuse the same dungeons again and again like FFIV TAY and you still boost your 8 heroes through the whole game. Since you can change jobs, you should be able to easily tackle difficulty spikes too.

My main issue with FFIV TAY was that most of the characters chapters were horrible and clearly done with making quick bucks in mind. The game opens up with the crystals chapter but the rest were really painful. You had chapters like Edward's where you have to go through the same dungeon 3 times with a character you know you won't be playing as in the end because he's awful.

TAY also had balancing issues and that really dumb moon phase system. Some bosses in the last dungeon are almost impossible to beat unless you waste cottages to change the moon phase to your advantage. Outside of that, many chapters have you without a white mage and you had to spam potion and spider silks to have a chance to beat the bosses.

The fact that you play as the same heroes through the whole game and the presence of a job system should make this more enjoyable for me.

Aeana

Wrong. With that option there's a "hole" in the middle. If you press there nothing happens. Have you ever played a game with worse controls?

Don't waste your time with this.
It's an RPG where precision of movement isn't incredibly important. The controls aren't optimal, but it isn't like this is Mega Man where the controls make it basically impossible.

I played up until the world map and castle on my iphone. Wow! Consider me sold. Visually it looks nice and crisp (if a bit uninspired in places). Seeing it on a smaller screen as opposed to blown up on jpgs here was a better experience. Musically it is great. And this battle theme is fucking amazing!

It really does feel like some long lost classic Final Fantasy. To celebrate FFs 25th this is a nice thing to bring out.

I agree with the others that have said this game looks fine on an actual device. I'm playing on a 4th gen iPod and it doesn't look nearly as bad as the screenshots do.

I really really appreciate the auto-battle system. Perhaps it’s because I’ve been exposed to FF12 & 13, but I have developed little tolerance for mindlessly clicking Attack>Monster over and over for normal encounters. Every menu driven RPG should have such a feature.

While not nearly as graphicly/musicly polished as the SNES games I grew up on, this is a great game so far.

Just grabbed the prologue. The battle theme is amazing. I'll play some more later, I'm not used to playing on my iPhone though, only other game i played was Chaos Rings.

Wrong. With that option there's a "hole" in the middle. If you press there nothing happens. Have you ever played a game with worse controls?

Don't waste your time with this.

Are you stupid?

You put your finger on the screen. The "D-pad" appears, set in the neutral area. Then you slide the finger a little in the direction you want to go.

How, exactly, would you make better controls?

Also the fact that you are so freaked out over the basic controls in a menu based RPG is really sad.

Aeana

Are you stupid?

You put your finger on the screen. The "D-pad" appears, set in the neutral area. Then you slide the finger a little in the direction you want to go.

Also the fact that you are so freaked out over the basic controls in a menu based RPG is really sad.
Err no, he's right, there is a large dead zone in the middle of the dpad and it kinda sucks.

Are you stupid?

Someone like you who clearly has little to no experience with touch controls should be a wee bit more respectful when they ask to be educated lol

The problem is simply the size of the dead zone (or the middle button). It's huge. If the game had been competently made, walking around would be just as easy as with an SNES controller.

Someone like you who clearly has little to no experience with touch controls should be a wee bit more respectful when they ask to be educated lol

Someone like you should learn to shut up like the moron they are.

Respectful?

No. You're an idiot and asking to "respect" you is a joke.

The problem is simply the size of the dead zone (or the middle button). If the game had been competently made, walking around would be just as easy as with an SNES controller.

The fact that you say the game isn't "competently made" because of something as petty as the size of a "dead zone" (Which has not been a problem at all so far) says volumes about you. What about the actual gameplay? rather then the least important thing in a menu based game I can think of.

I finished the prologue and here are my limited thoughts. I think the game has a solid battle system and decent enough music, but the uninspiring art and characters makes it less engaging to play. I know it will probably get better and it is hard to judge an RPG on an hour of gameplay, but the beginning of the game is dull and uninspiring. I really like how fast the auto-battle is and the touch control work well for battles (however the virtual d pad is terrible when you try to talk to NPCS or open chests). Like I just do a quick swipe to use a spell on everyone (or multple enemies). I think I will only get it once it goes on sale and read more impressions. FF5 is one of my favourites and the job system is part of that appeal. This prologue was by no means terrible but just underwhelming for someone who is not easily entertained. As a new smartphone owner I think this game is perfect for touch controls and very suitable for these devices.

Respectful?

The fact that you say the game isn't "competently made" because of something as petty as the size of a "dead zone" (Which has not been a problem at all so far) says volumes about you. What about the actual gameplay? rather then the least important thing in a menu based game I can think of.
Go read my first post in this thread. I stated that the story and characters are boring. It's like an RPG maker game that someone made by themself that is focused on taking a long time to complete with virtually no effort put into the story or characters.

The animations and emotes are also substandard.

Only bother trying out the free prologue if you're a Square fanatic.

Noema

Eh, I really don't care that much about the characters / story, specially since this game is in the same vein as FFIII and FV; in other words, it's all about the gameplay and having fun with jobs. And I'm completely fine with that as I absolutely love FFV.

I enjoyed the prologue more than I thought I would. I love the battle music.

$30 for this is ludicrous though. Only Square-Enix can get away with this in the App store.

Goli

Respectful?

You really shouldn't call other people names if you don't share their opinions, it might get you banned, or something like that.

99ada4d7e788dc569bef3b9sfd.png
36d3fb9afb3e6afc568b9cfs94.png
af668fe29ecbb04f604b17tsx3.png
6f14a6da2e982fd8beac03nsqp.png

This looks fine to you?

What's so bad about that?

Synless

I played it on my iPad 3 up until I named the first two characters. The game itself looks like it's a retina iPhone game running on the iPad in 2x. It's locked in the iPhone's 3:2 aspect ratio and there are bars on the top and the bottom.

The other thing is the app either doesn't support fast app switching or it eats up a lot of RAM because I switched from the game to Safari and back again and had to completely start over (iPad has a 1gb of RAM).
There are black bars on the top and bottom of the iPhone version too.

Vamphuntr

I'm still amazed they didn't beta test the in app purchases. Only SE could fail on something like that. I wanted to play this tonight :S

Goli

Wasn't this supposed to come out on android also today? Don't see it on the marketplace.

So far it's only out in SE's Square Enix Market in Japan. I'm starting to think the EU blog screwed up when saying it was also coming out for Android today. I mean, if they screwed up with their own IAP...

So far it's only out in SE's Square Enix Market in Japan. I'm starting to think the EU blog screwed up when saying it was also coming out for Android today. I mean, if they screwed up with their own IAP...

They must not want my money. :/ With the other games on the android market, I'm not sure why this would be iOS exclusive.

I think 6 is pretty gosh darn gorgeous
But yeah the others not so much.
6 was beautiful for an RPG on SNES but it was no Donkey Kong Country or Street Fighter Alpha, if you know what I mean. RPGs in this style will always be limited. The characters and objects will always be pretty featureless. But I don't see them putting the amount of work that went into FF6 for an iPhone game either.

From that comment, it sounds like this 'fix' could take a while. I was thinking it would be a matter of hours.

I wish the job system was in the prologue so I could go grind out some AP or something!

Vamphuntr

From that comment, it sounds like this 'fix' could take a while. I was thinking it would be a matter of hours.

I wish the job system was in the prologue so I could go grind out some AP or something!

It would be pointless since you cannot grind JP...

urfe

I tried to download this from the japanese itunes store, and while it allowed me to select it for download, it said "this item cannot be downloaded now".

I thought yesterday was the release date?

flowsnake

You can in the final chapter, it seems. You can trade a specific item for more JP. You find the item throughout the game and it's also a repeatable drop.

And you seem to get enough JP from story events to max out 3 jobs, not 2 like you stated earlier (69JP, 20 for each). 4 jobs, since it takes 17 JP to master a job and you get 69. And that doesn't include the extra ones from above.

This wiki page seems to be saying this, but I can't read it without translation.

Vamphuntr

You can in the final chapter, it seems. You can trade a specific item for more JP. You find the item throughout the game and it's also a repeatable drop.

And you seem to get enough JP from story events to max out 3 jobs, not 2 like you stated earlier (69JP, 20 for each). 4 jobs, since it takes 17 JP to master a job and you get 69. And that doesn't include the extra ones from above.

This wiki page seems to be saying this, but I can't read it without translation.

Unless I'm mistaken it's saying you can trade Mog coins for 3 JP in Lux castle during the last chapter. Mog coins are hidden around the world but can also be obtained for clearing the challenge dungeon of the last chapter. This was for the original though so we'll have to see if they upgraded this system.

Bladenic

Will try the prologue later tonight, then who knows? I guess if I'm really feeling it I might bite. Or maybe just get the first chapter.

flowsnake

Unless I'm mistaken it's saying you can trade Mog coins for 3 JP in Lux castle during the last chapter. Mog coins are hidden around the world but can also be obtained for clearing the challenge dungeon of the last chapter. This was for the original though so we'll have to see if they upgraded this system.

That's what I gathered, yeah. There were 15 mog coins which added 3JP to every character.
So each character gets 69+45=114=17*6 + 12 if you find all those, which is enough JP for 6 full jobs and a good deal of another. Each character has access to 12 jobs (I think) so that's probably more than enough JP for most people. And if not, you can grind for more as necessary at the end.

You're right though, we don't know what changes have been made.

Boss Man

I really wish they would do more stuff with the job system. A new Final Fantasy Tactics would be awesome. I'm afraid to jump into another one of their MMOs in my senior year of college.

Going to give this game a look.

Vamphuntr

That wiki page is interesting as it shows all the job abilities you get at each job level. Seems like most job get an additional skill slot at level 10 and 19.

Huh Knight can cast Mighty Guard? 聖剣・マイティガード ?

Aeana

Are there samples of the original stuff around? I expect the current arrangements are probably better, knowing Mizuta.

Was this done to not allow players to become too advanced in later chapters? How exactly do they prevent you from grinding? I wonder if a level cap per chapter would have been a better solution?

Goli

Oh crap. I downloaded the game from the Japanese iTunes version back when it was put up the first time, and now I downloaded the update from the US store... I went to the shop and everything worked fine until I tried to purchase all chapters and it said I had to purchase them from my Japanese account, in which I have no funds! Ah well, time to play the prologue again.

Top Bottom