• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy IV now out on Steam and the Humble Store - 14.5€/$16

PSP version is best version. DS/this steam version will, however, be a close second. It's by NO means a bad version of the game as long as they ported it well... but the full 2D remake on PSP has the most content, has the best graphical style, etc.

You really can't lose no matter what version you choose to play though. FF4 is the penultimate JRPG (second only to FF6) experience.

FF4 DS had the way better gameplay changes which make it the best version.

Oh good the achievement list looks doable (i.e. no 'obtain the Adamant Armor' cheevo).

is this game worth playing? i unfortunately never played any of the 16bit FFs.

It plays pretty well for its age, but it's an old console JRPG to the core so expect a high random encounter rate and some cheap deaths.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
PSP version may look good in theory but it plays like Square Enix presents My First RPG.

Avoid at all costs.

The PSP version is also the easiest version available by far. The majority of the game can be completed with auto battle turned on (I know, I did it as an experiment).

Let's not pretend that ANY version of FF4 is particularly hard. Only a select few bosses require any sort of trial and error if you've never played the game before, and if you have played the game before you can breeze through just about every fight with a few well placed spells.

Aesthetics are an opinion, not a fact. I disagree with your opinion that the low-poly 3D models are superior to the well crafted 2D upgraded sprites. (edit) FAIL READ ON MY PART

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
BOUGHT!!!!!!!

I forgot about the PSP version, saw it on sale a couple of weeks ago but didn't go for it :(
I kinda like the 2D more than the 3D art so I'll wait for another sale of the PSP version.

Marcel

Let's not pretend that ANY version of FF4 is particularly hard. Only a select few bosses require any sort of trial and error if you've never played the game before, and if you have played the game before you can breeze through just about every fight with a few well placed spells.

The correct answer. Playing it is informing my own nostalgia. It's not a challenging game.

Meia

Yeah. Graphically it's a "like it or hate it" thing, but I really would hope people wouldn't find the gameplay of the other versions superior. It's just a matter of what your tolerance for one over the other is to determine which version you like most.

But yeah, as someone else said, because you can have this discussion in the first place does show that there's no definitive version. Still, it's a version of a FF game on a platform that didn't have that one before(PC), so yay. :D

Just yesterday I was adding in all the Final Fantasy games to Steam (using it as a front end for emulators) and now this happens. I'll probably stick with the original version for the nostalgia.

FLD

Wow, that was fast. I sold my DS copy years ago so I'll definitely be getting this at some point.

After this, if the XIII rumor turns out to be true as well then I guess that means SE are serious about bringing FF to PC. Wonder if that means they'd be willing to finally port FFIX.

Kientin

I wonder if we will see Four Heroes of Light ported to PC eventually. They are similar to the FFIII and IV remakes graphically. I guess that one hasn't seen an iOS port though.

Marcel

I love VI. Is IV as good?

IV is fairly easy and the story is a little bit more...all over the place? It's a tough comparison to one of the heavy-hitters like VI.

I think it's worth playing if you're a fan of the series in general rather than just one particular entry of the series.

Aeana

Aesthetics are an opinion, not a fact. I disagree with your opinion that the low-poly 3D models are superior to the well crafted 2D upgraded sprites.
The DS version isn't brutally difficult, but it does at least encourage using your entire arsenal of abilities to get through, including your buffs. There's no reason to really use that stuff on PSP. The DS version of FF4 was the first version I ever really appreciated because it felt like I had decisions to make. Not just with what to use in battle, but how to build my characters with augments as well.

I love VI. Is IV as good?

It's a solid old school RPG. It's a lot more linear than FF6 was (especially after the WoR) but that means the story is just a bit tighter, if a bit more contrived
there are a lot of false deaths and repeated betrayals that get a bit 'written by a 10 year old' feeling, but the overarching plot is enjoyable if cliche'

Aesthetics are an opinion, not a fact. I disagree with your opinion that the low-poly 3D models are superior to the well crafted 2D upgraded sprites. (edit) FAIL READ ON MY PART

Yeah, I mean honestly I like the style of the 3D game but I'm talking about the gameplay that puts it above the other versions of FF4. The Augment System gives you a HUGE reason to play through the game twice too.

This makes it the better version honestly, ignoring your preference when it comes to graphics.

Hazmat

The DS/iOS version is certainly kind of ugly, but it's hands-down the best FF4 for me because it's actually difficult in places. I love Final Fantasy, but they're pretty much all too easy. If only FF6 had gotten this treatment...

The DS version isn't brutally difficult, but it does at least encourage using your entire arsenal of abilities to get through, including your buffs. There's no reason to really use that stuff on PSP. The DS version of FF4 was the first version I ever really appreciated because it felt like I had decisions to make. Not just with what to use in battle, but how to build my characters with augments as well.

While harder, I think we had different experiences. Just like every other version, I never used a buff spell (besides Wall against the guys in Baron Castle and the sky fortress fights... we know the ones) and the bosses all died to the same strategies as they always have.... Maybe it's just because I played every iteration of FF4 and thus know all the fights inside and out I just didn't feel it to be THAT much more difficult.

Marcel

Despite its issues, I think the GBA version is still my favorite FFII. I'll probably end up buying this version as well. I played it on iOS, but found it kind of awkward to control and never got further than... I dunno, I want to say Antlion?

FFII is the one with the guy who's always talking about his wild roses like it's that song from The Room. ;)

ConceptX

I just bought this last week on iOS over FF6, damn.

I'm tempted to rebuy to play with a controller, but for the full price, so soon? Ahh decisions.

Well, at any rate, nice to see more FF on Steam, I wonder if they will release 6's iOS port too.

Edit: Damn, 58 achievements, I guess I need to buy it now.

Marcel

I know it's technically incorrect, but it's really hard for me to not call this game Final Fantasy II. Or the one with espers and Magitech armor Final Fantasy III.

I guess this would probably be easier if I cared about the later games at all.

That's fair. Referring to the games by their actual Japanese numbering is pretty much commonplace nowadays. It's a bit rare to see the American numbering brought up at all, similar to how Terra was originally Tina.

So that's III, IV, VII, VIII, XI, (soon) XIII and XIV now on Steam. Not bad Square.

Now do Dawn of Souls.

Just a shame that 7 and 8 are just super hacked together corpses of the early PC games instead of a proper port... I imagine those original assets are all long gone though.

Aeana

While harder, I think we had different experiences. Just like every other version, I never used a buff spell (besides Wall against the guys in Baron Castle and the sky fortress fights... we know the ones) and the bosses all died to the same strategies as they always have.... Maybe it's just because I played every iteration of FF4 and thus know all the fights inside and out I just didn't feel it to be THAT much more difficult.
Some of the bosses have different mechanics, though. For instance, antlion has two states where he counters physical or magical, instead of just physical. Bahamut's megaflare can't be reflected, Cagnazzo's weaknesses change throughout the fight, Dr. Lugae uses reverse gas on the party instead of just himself, etc.

I've played every version of FF4, too.

CorvoSol

Some of the bosses have different mechanics, though. For instance, antlion has two states where he counters physical or magical, instead of just physical. Bahamut's megaflare can't be reflected, Cagnazzo's weaknesses change throughout the fight, Dr. Lugae uses reverse gas on the party instead of just himself, etc.

I've played every version of FF4, too.

It also introduces Super Bosses that sort of put your skills to the test. Especially Proto-Babil, who takes the concept of unfair Super Boss fights to its logical extreme.

duckroll

Oh cool hey, let's check out how much this is!

UV1EZdu.jpg

D-damn! But at least it's on Humble too. I'm going to check there instead!

ii68Sz9.jpg

Thanks for nothing Square Enix!

The way you go about getting new Augments in the remake of IV is terrible strategy guide bait in an era where there was no reason for such an obtuse system to exist. I loved the idea of the Augment system but it was handled very poorly and is a chore to experiment with because of it.

georly

Does the humble version include a DRM free version, or is it just a steamkey? I typically like buying on humble because I often get BOTH, but I presume this is just a steam key.

Exodist

I'm guessing ff7 and ff8 sold really well on Steam.

Absolutely. Consider that FF7 was an exclusive download on the Square Enix store before it came to Steam about a year later. After FF7 came to Steam though, FF8, 3 and now 4 have all just launched straight on steam. Evidently the sales were much better so they just skipped the SE store exclusive period.

Hesemonni

Banned
Didn't even know it was coming so I'm delighted.

I'd love to see both V and VI on the PC, but seeing they never got 3D remakes I wouldn't hold my breath.Then again, I'd love to see Secret of Manas even more on ANY platform and I'd buy them in a heart beat.

Just a shame that 7 and 8 are just super hacked together corpses of the early PC games instead of a proper port... I imagine those original assets are all long gone though.

Better than nothing, I guess.
I have to imagine a lot of the fans just emulated that shit all ready, so at least now they can give Square money for the pleasure :V

Top Bottom